Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
upload_2017-8-8_7-33-58-jpeg.106213

Welcome to National Dollar Day!

August 8 commemorates the day Congress established the U.S. monetary system in 1786. It’s National Dollar Day!

The first U.S. dollar bill wasn’t printed until 1862, and it didn’t bear the image of George Washington, either. Salmon P. Chase, President Lincoln’s Secretary of Treasury, was featured on the first greenback.

SU News

Screen-Shot-2017-06-28-at-4.23.39-PM.png

Marvin Bagley III, the country's No. 1 basketball recruit, could skip senior year to play for Duke or USC, per report (sbnation.com; O'Donnell)

Marvin Bagley III, the No. 1 basketball recruit in the country in the class of 2018, could jump up a grade level in school to play college ball next season, according to Jerry Meyer of 247 Sports. If Bagley decides to reclassify, Meyer writes that his recruitment “has the feel of a Duke and USC showdown.”

Bagley is a brilliant talent. The 6’11 forward is an explosive athlete and skilled scorer who is comfortable with the ball in his hands on the perimeter. He’s the type of player that would be in contention for the No. 1 player in any class. He would be a game-changer for both Duke and USC and make either a trendy Final Four pick with his commitment.

There was chatter that Bagley could reclassify up to the class of 2017 a year ago, but he’s stayed in the 2018 class up to this point. He’s been the most dominant high school player in the country on Nike’s EYBL circuit, where he finished second in the league in scoring at 25.8 points per game. Bagley also led the circuit in rebounding (14.9 per game) and finished third in blocks (3.1 per game).

Reclassifying is common for high school players. Andrew Wiggins, Andre Drummond and Noah Vonleh are just a few players who have done it. All three were top-10 picks in the NBA draft.

Cassell-Coliseum-1502138612.jpeg

Virginia Tech Suddenly Has One of The Coolest Court Designs in College Basketball (herosports.com; Labar)

I consider myself to be pretty in-tune with all of the sports happenings at Virginia Tech.

Before moving to HERO as a full-time ACC content creator -- I covered Hokies' football for the Virginian Pilot, and usually get tipped if something new or exciting is happening in Blacksburg.

I didn't see this one coming -- so clearly I'm not as in touch with the Hokies' happenings as I'd like to be.

Over the last few months, the Virginia Tech athletic department has been secretly applying a makeover to the basketball court inside of the historic Cassell Coliseum, and the result as been nothing short of amazing.

Virginia Tech basketball court new look #Hokies #VirginiaTech ???????? pic.twitter.com/4iByIEnCNM

— Alyssa Rae (@AlyssaRaeTV) August 3, 2017
As I've mentioned before -- Buzz Williams has helped make Virginia Tech relevant --for the first time in a long time, on the college basketball stage. The new attention and success undoubtedly helped generate new revenue and there's a hype surrounding Hokies' hoops that I'm not sure anyone could have predicted -- at least this quickly.

While national championships still feel a bit lofty, Williams and the Hokies will enter the 2018 college basketball season with very attainable NCAA tournament expectations. Recruiting is up. Fan interest is up -- and the athletic department rewarded everyone involved with a well-thought, visually appealing court design.

ACC Basketball Tattoos :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; photo gallery)

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2017...tate-of-virginia-ap-sports-writer-hankkurzjr/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; Kurz)

Other

-5e1b6970fe10f47f.JPG

'Salt Potatoes' made Syracuse Chiefs cash registers ring, but will promotion be a one-time thing? (PS; Kramer)

The exuberance of Syracuse Chiefs general manager Jason Smorol finally got the best of him on Saturday.

Smorol was in typical revved-up form at NBT Bank Stadium for his team's "Salt Potatoes" night. The promotion had the Chiefs taking on that spudly nickname for a game against Rochester.

Smorol urged fans to check out the new memorabilia in the souvenir store. There is all kinds of cool stuff, Smorol said, even shot-glasses.

Oops.

Salt potatoes were splattered across all sorts of things Saturday, but there were no shot-glasses for sale.

That will change soon. The Chiefs are in the process of ordering those items to help restock their depleted shop.

Pretty much all other Salt Potatoes merchandise flew off the shelves on Saturday. Consider:

• Salt Potatoes stuff represented 78.8 percent of overall merchandise sales.
  • Sales Saturday totaled about the same amount the Chiefs made in 15 home dates in May.
  • Saturday's attendance was 8,345. Yet the team's sales totaled $13,640.97 more than it did for a crowd of 11,731 on July 4 and $15,269.31 more than for a gathering of 10,369 on June 3.
  • Concessions moved 900 pounds of salt potatoes-related food.
  • Included in that figure were 30 salt potato pizzas.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom