Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Corned-Beef-Hash-Day-September-27-1.jpg

Welcome to National Corned Beef Hash Day!

National Corned Beef Hash Day is observed annually on September 27.

Making corned beef hash is a great way to use up leftovers. Corned beef hash became popular during and after World War II as rationing limited the availability of fresh meat.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_(food)#cite_note-3

The Hormel Company claims it introduced corned beef hash and roast beef hash to the United States as early as 1950. However, “hash” of many forms has been part of the American diet since at least the 19th century, as is attested to by the availability of numerous recipes and the existence of many “hash houses” named after the dish.

SU News

rglogo1.gif&LogoXPos=5&LogoYPos=5&maxw=800&maxh=700

Hurricane Academy provide education pathways | The Royal Gazette:Bermuda Basketball - Mobile (royalgazette.com; Staff)

The Team Hurricane Academy are seeking new players as they approach their fourth year providing life-enriching opportunities for their players.

Doug Reed, the founder and head coach of the free youth programme, has encouraged interested players to attend their sessions at Warwick Academy on Saturdays from 2 to 4pm.

This month, the charity organisation has held two camps featuring college coaches Jon Yeh, from the Truett McConnell University in Cleveland, Georgia, and Donnie Arey, from Warner University in Lake Wales, Florida.

Arey said: “The purpose of the three-day session was to challenge Team Hurricane members while also allowing them to have fun.”

The camps came on the heels of a summer of fun for Team Hurricane players.

For the fourth successive year, Team Hurricane travelled to Syracuse University and the Jim Boeheim Basketball Camp in New York.

Among the 12 players that went to Syracuse was Kayla Raymond, the first Team Hurricane’s women’s player, who participated in the Quentin Hillsman Elite Basketball Camp for girls.

Raymond said: “My experience on my first Hurricane’s trip was great. I had loads of fun at the camp, and just to meet new people and hanging with my team-mates at the same time was just really fun. At first coming to the camp I was a little nervous, but as the second day came along it was normal.

“The camp as a whole was fun and I feel like I learnt and improved from it. The highlight of the trip for me, though, had to be coach Jim Boeheim coming to speak to us and answering questions. The trip was amazing and I would love to go again next year.”

NCAA-Bribe-scandal-coaches.jpg

Corruption Will Continue In NCAA College Basketball Until Schools Can Openly Pay Their Players (forbes.com; Edelman)

Yesterday morning, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York announced charges of fraud and corruption in what may amount to be the biggest college sports scandal in our nation's history. At present, at least four NCAA Division-I men's basketball coaches, one sports agent, and a major shoe company executive have been charged in connection with funneling elite high school athletes to NCAA basketball programs affiliated with the shoemaker Adidas. For their alleged role in the conspiracy, the assistant coaches at the University of Arizona, Auburn University, Oklahoma State, and the University of Southern California, as each received large cash payments, as did some of the athletes who ultimately signed with Adidas-sponsored schools.

For those Americans who continue to maintain a pristine view of big-time college sports, these latest allegations may seem puzzling. However, for those who operate far closer to big-time college sports industry, the notion of widespread corruption involving multiple collegiate basketball programs is not surprising.

College sports in the United States represent upwards of an $11 Billion industry, with almost all of this money derived from the elite level of play in just two sports: football and men's basketball. Despite the multi-billion dollar nature of these collegiate sports, the NCAA's internal rules continue to prevent member colleges from compensating their athletes for their services, under the guise or amateurism. Thus, in the absence of free markets for college athlete services, darker and more dubious markets emerge.

Indeed, it should not be surprising that the inhibition of free and open markets for college athlete labor services has led to an ideal breeding ground for unscrupulous individuals to engage in schemes to defraud college athletes and exploit their labor. Similar trends emerge in other contexts where free markets are inhibited. For example, during the final years before the fall of the Soviet Union, it is widely reported that organized crime maintained black markets for the purchase of luxury goods that Russian entrepreneurs could not sell openly. Similarly, in the United States, legislation that disallowed commercial gambling markets in most states led to the emergence of an underground gambling enterprise, purportedly led by racketeers associated with organized crime.

1020-rick-pitino-getty-4.jpg

College basketball scandal: What happens to Louisville's $160 million deal with Adidas? (courier-journal.com; Lerner)

It wasn't too long ago that Adidas and the University of Louisville were mentioned alongside one another in a positive light, after inking a contract extension worth $160 million over 10 years.

Athletic Director Tom Jurich touted the agreement as a landmark deal and said, "Adidas has stood arm and arm with us through adversity and success."

Now that Adidas officials and University of Louisville basketball coaches are implicated in a federal investigation into a "pay-for-play" scheme involving highly prized recruits, it is unclear how the multimillion-dollar contract will hold up.

An Adidas spokeswoman did not respond to emails Tuesday asking if the deal will be affected by the FBI investigation, which included the arrest of two Adidas employees, including James Gatto, the company's head of global sports marketing, who was placed on leave.

In a text message responding to inquiries about the Adidas contract, University of Louisville athletic spokesman Kenny Klein wrote, "I have no information to provide at this time" beyond an earlier statement issued through interim President Greg Postel's office. The statement acknowledged Louisville's inclusion in the federal investigation but did not offer further details.

What we know: University of Louisville's involvement

Timeline: The FBI’s college basketball allegations involving the University of Louisville and others

The University of Louisville is nearing the end of its current agreement with Adidas, which ran through this coming school year with a one-year extension option, and was worth $39 million over five years.

Other

Paul McCartney At The Dome: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! - Syracuse New Times (syracusenewtimes.com; Michael)

When he was 16, Paul McCartney wrote a song about aging in the style of his father’s jazz band. “When I’m Sixty-Four” later appeared on The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album and it’s filled with geriatric images of losing his hair, digging the weeds and bouncing grandchildren on his knee.

There was no mention in the song of turning 75 and screaming through a blistering “Helter Skelter,” making eyes water with a heartfelt tribute to John Lennon, or nearly burning the Carrier Dome down with the pyrotechnics from “Live And Let Die.”

But Sir Paul did all that and much more Sept. 23, about three months after his 75th birthday. For those Central New Yorkers who had tickets to McCartney’s cancelled 1993 show at Syracuse University’s Carrier Dome, the Sept. 23 concert was worth the 24-year wait. And for fans of The Beatles and Wings who had never seen McCartney perform live, it was the thrill of a lifetime.

McCartney’s three-hour show before a sold-out crowd of about 35,000 featured 39 songs and numerous stories and one-liners. The Dome was electric: Imagine the roar from John Gillon’s buzzer-beater against Duke last February and multiply by 39.

Speaking of Syracuse basketball, McCartney said he was familiar with the Dome from “watching a lot of basketball matches (sic) in this place.” Orange coach Jim Boeheim — the second most famous person at the Dome Sept. 23 — tweeted, “McCartney Magic in our Dome! He can play on Boeheim court whenever he wants.”

Those Dome renovations that are in the works nearly happened a lot sooner as fireworks during “Live And Let Die” reached a catwalk above the stage and started a small fire. But as McCartney played the next song, “Hey Jude,” a Dome worker or concert roadie climbed to the top to extinguish the fire before the final “Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.”