Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
OGJkNzljNTBmYyMvYVZjdFpGcDNXVERsQ01oaUpkdmxNOVJKY2lVPS82eDEzNDo1NTk0eDI5NzgvMTYwMHg5MDAvZmlsdGVyczpmb3JtYXQoanBlZyk6cXVhbGl0eSg4MCkvaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvcmJ5dnExOGFndWZ2ajc0ZmtnempiZXd5cGM5end1dWl5ZnZrdm95Yzc1NW1veHBzeG4zY2tsaXl4bG5pa2JjeS5qcGc.jpg

Welcome to Myths and Legends Day!

All over the world there are extraordinary stories—stories that once upon a time were believed to be true but are today limited to the sphere of ancient myths and legends. The question remains, are those myths and legends stories something that existed in the minds of our ancestors, or were they based on true events? Did someone really ask syracusefan.com message board users how to break the spell of a witch? It is true that most of those ancient myths and legends stories appear to the scientific world as fictitious products of vivid imaginations whose goals were purely to explain phenomena beyond their comprehension. Yet is it not arrogant to accuse our ancestors of being uncivilised and ignorant in one breath, then offer them praise and admiration over their monuments, buildings, art, sculptures, and societies in the next? This only proves that our modern society has two contradictory attitudes toward our past.

SU News

Princeton_1507669678398_68473651_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

WCPO.com (wcpo.com; Dyer)

In between bites of pizza, the state's top-ranked basketball player described a new hunger he has for his senior season early Tuesday afternoon.

"I am chasing after a state championship," Princeton forward Darius Bazley told WCPO.com. "When I play it's not going to be like I am getting by for this game. I am sending statements. I am trying to prove something. I really want to get this state championship."

RELATED: Bazley reflects on Syracuse, summer ball and the recruiting process

Bazley sat with three of his Princeton teammates in the first row of a conference room at Miami Valley Hospital South late Tuesday morning as the 16th annual Premier Health Flyin' to the Hoop Invitational schedule was announced.

Princeton will participate in the event for a second straight season. The Vikings play Pickerington North at 4:45 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 13 at Trent Arena in Kettering.

Official Ohio High School Athletic Association boys' basketball practice doesn't start until Nov. 3. The season doesn't officially begin until Nov. 30. The Vikings play in the Ohio Valley Hoops Classic against Xenia at Southern State Community College in Hillsboro Dec. 1.

Ranked 34th in the Nation on ESPN 2018 Class Ranking, Jalen Carey describes what it was like to grow up in Harlem, New York and have his dream come true of committing to a High Major Division I College.

Shades of Orange: How to differentiate Syracuse's signature color from other hues (PS; Ditota)

When Syracuse meets Clemson on the Carrier Dome football field Friday night, the color clash of orange will be visually apparent.

Two teams. Both orange. How, then, to differentiate between separate but seemingly equal shades of a color associated with that team's brand? What distinguishes one orange from another on the football fields, basketball courts, baseball stadiums and lacrosse fields across American colleges?

It's the pantone.

Pantone is the "standard language for color communication from designer to manufacturer to retailer to customer," according to the color authority's website.

Pantone is what distinguishes Cavalier Orange from Syracuse Orange from Texas Orange. It's the precise mix of pigment that makes a color appear like it does.

Those distinguishing pantones enable each college to represent its brand with specific, identifiable shades its fans can readily identify.

"Color provides a visual cue for audiences to recognize an organization and the things for which it stands. In the case of universities, this extends to athletics and the pragmatic need to more easily differentiate between competitors on opposing teams," SU's Vice President of Communications and Chief Marketing Offer Nicci Brown said in an email. "Maintaining color specificity serves multiple needs. It reinforces visual cues, while also providing differentiation. For example, the Syracuse University orange is different from the orange used by any other ACC team."

59d6ba6c7d9e0.image.jpg

What NCAA sanctions could Arizona basketball, Sean Miller face? Recent Louisville, Syracuse cases give us an idea (tuscon.com; Pascoe)

Months, or even years, might pass before the FBI’s investigation into college basketball translates into potential NCAA violations.

But Arizona has already begun stating its case.

The claims last week by Arizona coach Sean Miller, athletic director Dave Heeke and president Robert Robbins that Miller has acknowledged his responsibility to foster compliance — and statements by Miller and Heeke that the UA coach has long been doing so — demonstrate the university is prepared to defend Miller under an NCAA rule that can penalize head coaches even if they aren’t aware of violations involving their programs.

Miller was not implicated in the federal complaint that resulted in the Sept. 26 arrest of UA assistant coach Book Richardson and nine other college basketball figures, but NCAA Bylaw 11.1.1.1 states that head coaches are responsible for the actions of their direct or indirect reports unless they can “rebut the presumption of responsibility.”

That rebuttal possibility, which is not mentioned in the NCAA manual but is in a supplemental guide for head coaches, can take head coaches off the hook.

Instituted in 2013, Bylaw 11.1.1.1 essentially eliminates plausible deniability and puts head coaches under a guilty-until-proven-innocent standard. In order to rebut the presumption of responsibility, head coaches must prove they have fostered an atmosphere of compliance and have actively monitored their direct and indirect reports.

“They’re making sure the coaches are engaged, so they can’t turn a blind eye to it,” said Christian Dennie, a Texas-based attorney who specializes in working with schools on NCAA issues. “If they can make sure the coach is doing the right thing, they’ll probably be OK.”

So even if the NCAA finds Richardson was guilty of taking $20,000 in bribes as alleged in the federal complaint, Arizona and Miller might not be punished if the school can prove Richardson acted on his own and repeatedly misled Miller when asked repeatedly about compliance. (There are, of course, other allegations Arizona could face as a result of the complaint.)

Takeaways from Men's Basketball Media Day (hokiesports.com)

On Monday, Oct. 9, the Virginia Tech men’s basketball team met with the media for the annual Media Day, at Cassell Coliseum and the Hahn Hurst Basketball Practice Center.

The 2017-18 Virginia Tech men’s basketball team #getBETTERpic.twitter.com/W2lhBfIx8O

— VT Men's Basketball (@VT_MBBall) October 9, 2017

The activities began at 2 p.m., in the Cassell Media Interview Room, as Head Coach Buzz Williams addressed the media on a wide array of topics. A couple of the key points he touched on were:

On losing the valuable players of Seth Allen and Zach LeDay:

“It is so hard to quantify what those guys gave us, particularly offensively. They bailed us out, they covered up some issues – both inside and outside. I miss them, our team misses them. But, there will be guys on our team, I don’t know exactly who that will be, that will have to eat some of that prowess that those two guys gave us. We will have to be a lot better defensively than we’ve ever been. Last year, we didn’t mind if it turned into a scoring contest. I don’t know if we will be able to score the ball as well as we did last year, but it’s still early. So we will see, but we will for sure miss Seth and Zach.”

On having a more traditional sized center this year in Kerry Blackshear Jr. and if that changes the offense or defense:
“KJ could arguably be the most skilled guy in our program. He does have traditional size, though. He did have a typical freshman year. We need him to stay healthy, that would be the first thing, we don’t have any other choice. The next thing is, how can we utilize his skillset, not only to his back to the basket but facing up, where it can take some pressure off some of the guys who are on the floor with him. I think he is a really good player, I like him.”

Other

blog-muddy09jpg-d686cb2e8c574928.jpg

Why Muddy Waters became Mangia, and why the Southern restaurant is back again (PS)

When Tom Taylor talks about biscuits or pulled pork or blackened catfish with succotash (above), his face lights up.

He can start a conversation with fried green tomatoes, segue to the French Quarter and, in the same sentence, begin reminiscing about crabbing as a kid on a Carolina shore.

“It’s just good, down-home cooking,” Taylor says of the new menus at the reopened Muddy Waters Kitchen and Bar in Baldwinsville.

Ask him about Mangia, the Italian restaurant he ran for nine months this year in the same riverside location, and his head falls. “It’s been a rough year,” he said this week. “It’s been a really tumultuous year.”

Last week, Taylor reopened the restaurant at 2 Oswego St. as Muddy Waters. The alligators and accordions are back on the walls. The Mardi Gras beads and Abita beer are back at the bar.

“We got a lot of flak for closing down Muddy Waters and doing Mangia,” he said this week. “We upset some people by closing. I understand…..But now we’re home.”

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-11_7-18-31.png
    upload_2017-10-11_7-18-31.png
    68 bytes · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online