Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
www-thetomkatstudio-com.jpg

Welcome to National Boston Cream Pie Day!

National Boston Cream Pie Day is observed annually on October 23. Pie lovers move along. Cake lovers, pull up a chair. Let’s celebrate the cake with an identity crisis! Boston Cream Pie is a chocolate frosted, custard filled cake that is loved by millions.

In 1856, at Boston’s Parker House Hotel, Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian created this pudding and cake combination which comprises two layers of sponge cake filled with vanilla flavored custard or creme patisserie. The cake is then topped with a chocolate glaze, such as a ganache or sometimes powdered sugar and a cherry.

In 1996, Massachusetts declared the Boston Cream Pie as their official dessert.

SU News

546fd732ed86f.image.jpg

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim ready for 42nd year (wfcourier; AP)

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim admitted that the beginning of his 42nd year as head coach at his alma mater feels a little different, and it has nothing to do with his age.

Longtime assistant Mike Hopkins is no longer there to lean on. After 22 years on the bench alongside his mentor, Hopkins jumped at the chance to become head coach at Washington in March, passing up the opportunity to take over for Boeheim as planned.

And so the beat goes on.

"It's the same every year. You want to have a great team," Boeheim, who turns 73 in November, said Friday at the team's media day inside Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center. "There's nothing different, whether it's your first year, your 10th year, 15th, doesn't matter. You want to go out and you want to get this team to be as good as they can be.

"There's no carryover. That's why you have the same focus every year. As long as I feel that way, I'll try to coach."

BREMER: Three takeaways from Syracuse basketball Orange vs. White Game (fingerlakes1.com; Bremer)

The Syracuse University Men’s Basketball team held its annual season kickoff event in the Dome on Friday night, but it looked slightly different than in years past. The night’s focus was on basketball, without much of the entertainment that surrounded “Orange Madness” in other years. Here are three key observations about what happened on the court.

Battle of the Big Men

By far the most interesting matchup of the night was between the centers on each team. Paschal Chukwu is going into his second season of eligibility for the Orange, and is expected by many to take the starting spot in the middle. However, it was his matchup that stole the show on Friday night. Freshman Bourama Sidibe was the most impressive player on the court. While the 7’2” Chukwu is known for his defensive game more than his offense, Sidibe demonstrated his patience with fundamental post moves and crafty finishes. With the loss of Taurean Thompson, Syracuse could certainly use a big man with offensive prowess this season. Sidibe finished the scrimmage with 20 points and 9 rebounds.

Bourama Sidibe led all scorers with 20 points & added 9 rebounds in the Orange vs. White game pic.twitter.com/YL7fPiE9Ac

— Syracuse Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) October 21, 2017

Newcomers Adjusting

Other

courtesy2_SportsA1.jpg

THE WHOLE PICTURE: How a cheerleader became the face of Syracuse University on the night of the Pan Am Flight 103 attack (DO; Sugiyama)

Catherine Hauschild leafed through the white booklet as she sat at the edge of a russet leather sofa late one Saturday morning.

She flipped through pages of black-ink portraits of 35 college students. A few of their names stood out. Steven Berrell. Stephen Boland. Theodora Cohen.

The booklet commemorated the 35 students studying abroad through Syracuse University who were killed on Dec. 21, 1988 when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded in a terrorist attack over Lockerbie, Scotland. The students were heading home after completing their study programs in Europe. Hauschild received the booklet during a ceremony at Hendricks Chapel in December 1990 for the first Remembrance Scholars, a program established that year to look back and act forward in students’ memory that continues at SU to this day.

Then she stopped reading. Reliving that day, the one that made even the cheerleader cry, reminded her of the parts of life she had experienced that those who died never got to. It reminded her of the impact it’s had on her life. On the page she paused on, there was an illustration of Eric Coker on the left side and a portrait of Hauschild herself in the upper right hand corner. On the same page, there is an excerpt of her essay from 1990, when she applied to be a Remembrance Scholar:

“I have learned from this event to live each day to its fullest,” the essay began. “No longer do I put off telling people that I care about how I feel, because they may not always be there.”

Catherine Hauschild, then Catherine Crossland, an SU sophomore, walked into Flint Hall in a hurry on Dec. 21, 1988. It was between 4 and 5 p.m., and she had just finished a class. She rushed in, needing to change into her white top and orange-and-blue skirt cheerleader uniform before heading to the Carrier Dome for a basketball game.

On the way to her room, Hauschild ran into a resident adviser near the front desk. The RA was the first to tell her a plane — that had taken off in Frankfurt, Germany; stopped in London; and was on its way to New York City and then Detroit — had exploded above Lockerbie, Scotland, from what investigators later found to be a bomb in a suitcase.

The RA had heard SU students might have been involved, but nothing was for sure. Details had only started trickling in. Hauschild knew two other cheerleaders studying abroad in Europe, so she ran up to her room to turn on the news. Her mind raced.

Were they OK?

"I'm not going to comment on anything about that," Boeheim said when asked about the disproportionate penalties. "But, as you mentioned many times, in your writings, head coach responsibility. That didn't apply to North Carolina. Screamingly obvious. And I'm surprised that you, in particular, haven't been all over that. I'm supposed to know about a 10-page paper and they don't know about 18 years of As?"

JB's ability to sum up an argument with as few words as possible is always amazing to me.