sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2713197c699503b733a96885afcb4851aad59b5443a23388570177c159d2efcf.png

Welcome to World Pasta Day!

Life is too short, and I’m Italian.
I’d much rather eat pasta and drink
wine than be a size 0.
Sophia Bush

Warm steaming spaghetti in a rich red sauce, littered with seasoned sausage, black olives, and mushrooms, or a rich Chicken Fettuccine in a creamy garlic white sauce that just absolutely blows your mind. There are over 600 shapes of pasta known to mankind, and their names are descriptive of their shapes. Spaghetti (‘cord’), vermicelli (‘little worms’), rotini (‘spirals’), fusili (‘spindles’), tortellini (‘little cakes’), linguini (‘little tongues’), conchiglie (‘shells’), fettucine (‘small ribbons’), penne (‘quills’) and capellini (‘fine hairs’) are the savoury little goodies that are essential to any pantry.

While Italian food made it famous, it was only a gateway drug of pasta. Chinese Chow Mein and German Spaetzle are just a couple of the ways the world has taken pasta and fallen in love with it all over again.

SU News

jim-boeheim-b5e3406d9485e930.jpg

Syracuse basketball: Our ACC basketball preseason predictions (PS; Ditota and Waters)

ACC basketball media day is Wednesday and that means the preseason predictions from the league's media members will be released later this afternoon.

In the interest of full disclosure, below are our picks for the order of finish for the league, All-ACC team, Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year.

DONNA DITOTA
Order of Finish

1. Duke
2. Miami
3. Notre Dame
4. North Carolina
5. Louisville
6. Virginia
7. Georgia Tech
8. Virginia Tech
9. Syracuse

Sophomore guard Tyus Battle sits down with CitrusTV's Nicole Hansen to talk about the team's tough end to the 2016-17 season, embracing his new leadership role on this year's roster and helping the new players adjust to college life.

4 Bold Predictions for the SU Basketball Season – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Leonard)

1: Frank Howard is going to have a very solid season

Howard was given the keys to the Syracuse offense as a sophomore last season and frankly never got the car started. However, it’s important to remember he was still very young last year. Sometimes we put these college kids on a pedestal and forgot just how much each and every college athlete improves over the course of one offseason. It’s normal to be disappointing while you’re an underclassmen and it’s slightly abnormal to expect a sophomore to lead your offense. I’m not saying Howard didn’t underachieve expectations last season. I just think the expectations were slightly too high. He was fighting for his job with John Gillon throughout non-conference play and that had to get to him a little. I mean it’s hard to play your best basketball with the constant threat of being benched or losing your job from one bad turnover. This year, the job is more clearly his to lose at the beginning of the season. The junior knows Boeheim’s system better than anyone else on the roster. He started to show flashes at the end of last season and has been putting in the work during the offseason. The Scoop Jardine like comeback is a real thing. College athletes get dramatically better from year to year. I expect Howard to be another example of that.

Other

DeFrancisco: Cuomo made wrong call on waiving Thruway fees in Syracuse (PS; Lohmann)

State Sen. John DeFrancisco said he was having trouble following the governor's logic behind vetoing a bill that would have waived Thruway tolls in the Syracuse area.

DeFrancisco, the Senate's deputy majority leader and co-sponsor of the bill, took issue with the Gov. Andrew Cuomo's reasoning outlined in a veto statement Tuesday.

The governor said he was compelled to veto the bill for several reasons: That state law prohibited him from signing the bill, that it would prompt other cities to clamor for a waiver on their fees, that such a change might be better suited during the annual budget process, and that bondholders might be put at risk due to revenues lost by waiving the fees.

"Consistency is not the governor's forte," DeFrancisco told Syracuse.com on Tuesday.