Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
bday-marines.png

Welcome to USMC Day!

The United States Marine Corps, a branch of the United States Armed Forces, is responsible for providing power protection from the sea using the mobility of the United States Navy to rapidly deliver combined-arms task forces. The Continental Congress first established the Continental Marines on November 10, 1775, leading up to the American Revolution. Two battalions of Marines fought for independence both on land and at sea.

The birth of the U.S. Marine Corps began as a way to augment naval forces in the Revolutionary War. The recruiting headquarters was in the Tun Tavern on Water Street in Philadelphia, which is considered to be the birthplace of the Marines.

The Corps was abolished at the end of the Revolutionary War. However, on July 11, 1798, Congress ordered the creation of the Corps, named it the United States Marine Corps (USMC) and directed that it be available for service under the Secretary of the Navy.

SU News

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse to face Jimmy Boeheim, Cornell in basketball opener (pressconnects.com ; Kekis/AP)

Jim Boeheim has pretty much experienced everything during his long coaching tenure at Syracuse — Big East titles, Final Fours, a national championship, NCAA investigations and Hall of Fame induction.

And yet, as he begins season No. 42 at his alma mater, Boeheim is about to experience something new. The toddler he once brought to shoot at a toy basket during a preseason media day will be on the opposing team when the Orange open their season against Cornell on Friday night.

Oldest son Jimmy Boeheim is a freshman forward for the Big Red.

“I just want him to play well,” Boeheim said. “That’s all I care about. I just want him to be ready. I’ll try not to think about it. I’m pretty much just worried about my team.”

At least there seems to be a happy medium. Wife Juli will stroll into the Carrier Dome wearing a shirt made specifically for the occasion. It has Boeheim vs. Boeheim on the front, Big Red down one sleeve and Orange down the other, and “I can’t lose” inscribed on the back.

Cornell’s Younger Boeheim Readies to Take On Father in Season-Opener (cornellsun.com; Zhu)

Jimmy Boeheim has seen his father develop the legendary Syracuse 2-3 zone his entire life. Now, as Cornell men’s basketball is set to take on the upstate powerhouse Friday night, he gets to play against it in his college debut.

“I’ve definitely said a few things here and there,” Jimmy told The Sun on how he’s helped his teammates approach the Orange’s notoriously staunch defense. “They knew a lot playing against it the last few years, especially the older guys.”

Even as Jimmy committed to Cornell earlier this year, he had known that he would inevitably be facing off against his father Jim Boeheim, the legendary Hall-of-Fame coach who has racked up the second-most wins in Division I men’s basketball history, in the annual matchup between the Red and Orange. What he didn’t know was that the highly-anticipated matchup would come during his college debut.

Syracuse Basketball: Orange Versus Red To Start The 2017-18 Season (itlh.com; Adler)

The 2017-18 campaign gets going this Friday night, when the Syracuse basketball squad hosts Cornell in a truly enticing family affair.
Head coach Jim Boeheim begins his 42nd term at the helm of the SU hoops program on Nov. 10, as the Orange welcomes Central New York neighbor Cornell to the Carrier Dome.

The ‘Cuse and the Big Red have battled 122 instances before, however, this Friday evening’s clash takes on much deeper significance. That’s because one of JB’s sons, Jimmy Boeheim, is a freshman forward at the Ivy League school.

Cornell-Collage-1024x633.jpg

Syracuse Basketball 2017-18 Season Opener: Three Players to Watch on Cornell – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Edelstein)

Syracuse football continues on Saturday, but first, the 2017-2018 Syracuse men’s basketball season tips off on Friday. Cornell will be visiting the Carrier Dome for its first and only game scheduled against the Orange this year.

Syracuse has won its last 37 games against Cornell. The Orange has dominated the color war with an all-time 58-19 record against the Big Red. The last time SU lost to cornell was in 1968.

Nevertheless, this is a brand new season. Nothing is decided yet. Here are three Cornell players to watch on Friday night:

Cornell Basketball Ready For Syracuse (nytwintiers.com; Malnoske)

The Big Red open up the 2017-18 season at rival Syracuse, opening tip is set for 7 pm on ACC Network Extra, check your local listings for how you can access the game. In perhaps one of the most unique games in series history, it marks the first time Cornell freshman forward Jimmy Boeheim will compete against his father, legendary Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.

In what is sure to be the first of more matchups between the two Boeheims, Cornell is looking to beat Syracuse for the first time since 1968. Orange head coach Jim Boeheim will enter his 42nd year at Syracuse and will certainly have some added emotion to this game at The Carrier Dome. The Orange leads the all-time series, 91-31.

Cornell is lead by Brian Earl, who enters his second year as head coach. A season ago, The Big Red mustered a (8-21, 4-10 IVY) record but will look to key upperclassmen to better their stance in the IVY League. Two-time All-IVY selection Matt Morgan returns at guard. Morgan also topped the IVY in scoring the previous two seasons.

Syracuse Basketball season opener features Boeheim family on each sideline (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

It's probably the most unique season opener in 42 years of Jim Boeheim leading Syracuse Basketball.

Boeheim will see his own son on the floor, perhaps starting, when the ball tips to start the season.

Jimmy Boeheim is a freshman for Cornell, and did start for the Big Red in their exhibition game.

"It's a lot of excitement right now" Jimmy said this week.

"I think it'd be exciting no matter who we were playing, but the fact that I'm going home, playing at Syracuse makes it even more special" he adds.

Of course, the most important question is who will Juli Boeheim be rooting for?

Syracuse basketball recruit Jalen Carey makes it official and signs NLI

The 6-foot-3 point guard from Immaculate Conception High School will join the Orange for the 2018-19 season. (video courtesy of the Carey family)

NOV. 9 MEN'S BASKETBALL: Longtime SU assistant Hopkins makes debut at rebuilding Washington (timestelegram.com; Booth/AP)

Mike Hopkins is in the early stages of a remodel that won’t be completed soon.

It didn’t have to be this way for Hopkins. He could have remained at Syracuse and waited until Jim Boeheim retired and Hopkins was handed the keys to an already finished product.

But that’s not what Hopkins ultimately wanted, so his task of rebuilding a downtrodden Washington program begins Friday night when the Huskies host Belmont.

He’s no longer the top assistant, the interim head coach or the coach in waiting — all titles he held at Syracuse. Hopkins is fully entrenched at Washington and slowly, methodically turning the program into his own.

“Even when I coached at Syracuse all the years, or even when I coached the select team with USA Basketball when I was the head coach, I prepared like I was a player,” Hopkins said. “I feel like I am playing in the game.”

Hopkins inherited a program that under former coach Lorenzo Romar won conference titles, went to NCAA tournaments and produced NBA talent. But over the final six seasons of Romar’s tenure the Huskies failed to make the NCAAs and the foundation eroded. The Huskies were 9-22 last season and closed the year on a 13-game losing streak.

Other

-23ac33b71fc22f8a.JPG

A sketch of I-81 by Bill Elkins.

No Instagram here: Artists capture Syracuse life in penstrokes (PS; drawing gallery)

No Instagram here: Artists capture Syracuse life in penstrokes

In a world of photos, Elkins has formed a group of urban sketch artists who capture their world the old-fashioned way

-ef4a3d6193fa4626.JPG

No Instagram here: Artists capture Syracuse life in penstrokes
A sketch of Marshall Street by Bill Elkins.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom