Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Horizontal%20CAD.jpg
Welcome to Cow Appreciation Day!

On Cow Appreciation Day, people wear cow costumes—or even any sort of cow apparel—and head to Chick-fil-A to receive free food. Adults receive a free entrée, and children receive a free kids meal. In 2017, about 1.8 million people participated at over 2,200 restaurants. Why cows? The day honors Chick-fil-A's "Eat Mor Chikin" Cows. They were introduced in 1995 on a billboard, where a cow was sitting on the back of another cow and painting "Eat Mor Chikin." The cows have since been used in advertisements using mediums such as television and the internet, and have even been on water towers.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball on Twitter

Orange Runs Deep

NCAA March Madness on Twitter

Tyus Battle talks about @Cuse_MBB's zone defense with @TheAndyKatz!

wizards-76ers-basketball-30622bda7a12e81f.jpg

Syracuse basketball in NBA Summer League: Richardson, McCullough, Lydon shine (PS; Ditota)

Malachi Richardson continued his strong play in the NBA Summer League on Monday.

The former Syracuse guard started for the Toronto Raptors, played 28 minutes and scored 17 points as the Raptors fell to the Oklahoma City Thunder 92-82. Richardson, who has tantalizing 6-foot-6 size at the shooting guard spot, was 5-for-12 overall and 4-of-10 from the 3-point line.

When he wasn't perched on the perimeter looking for kickouts, Richardson attacked the rim. He was 3-of-4 from the free throw line. He acknowledged in a Sunday conversation with reporters that Toronto wanted to see him rebound the ball more. He grabbed three missed shots on Monday.

Malachi Richardson is turning heads in Vegas. Hit 4 of his 5 3pt tries yesterday, is 3-for-7 from distance so far today. Raptors knew he could shoot it when they traded for him, but Nurse spoke highly of his defensive progress the other day too.
4:47 PM - Jul 9, 2018

The Raptors rescued Richardson from the Kings, who drafted him 22nd after Richardson spent a season at Syracuse. His size and shooting stroke were intriguing components and Richardson has an opportunity to play himself onto the Toronto roster.

2017-07-23-boeheimsarmyfinalsdc0538jpg-0e595a1fada3182d.jpg

Boeheim's Army 2018: You can meet and greet the team next week in Syracuse (PS; Ditota)

Boeheim's Army will descend on Syracuse Saturday and stay for the week. The Syracuse alumni team will practice at Melo Center in preparation for its opening The Basketball Tournament game on July 21 in Brooklyn. It will also get out into the community.
Boeheim's Army will appear July 19 at NBT Stadium for a Syracuse Chiefs game to throw out first pitches and sign autographs on the concourse.
The Chiefs play the Louisville Bats at 6:35 p.m. It's Dollar Thursday at the ballpark, plus it's Christmas in July night. The Chiefs will wear Christmas-themed uniforms, Scooch will wear a clever Santa Claus disguise, all will benefit the Salvation Army.
Like last summer, each Boeheim's Army member will throw out a first pitch. (Some were, um, more successful than others last year.)
,,,Liverpool basketball star hopes prep school success will lead to shot at next level (PS; Weidner)Charles Pride won't ever forget his high school team's run to a New York public school state boys basketball championship last spring.
But when he dons his next school uniform - the one he'll receive this fall at Putnam Science Academy in Connecticut - the former Liverpool guard and All-Central New York Mr. Basketball knows he'll be swimming in a pond among much larger fish.
"I'm going to put everything behind me and start fresh," said the 6-foot-4 all-state player who last week announced that he would reclassify into the Class of 2019 and spend a post-graduate year at Putnam.
Pride, who graduated from Liverpool last month, hopes to sharpen his basketball and academic skills at Putnam, which went 38-4 last season and won a national prep school championship in the process. If he does well enough, Pride could find himself headed to play major-college basketball.

After being voted MVP of the Class AA final four last March and earning firth-team, all-state honors, Pride has been busy since playing AAU basketball with the Queens-based NY Jayhawks. He plans to follow several former Jayhawks - Hamidou Diallo and Mamadou Diarra - to Putnam. Diallo is now a rookie with the Oklahoma City Thunder and Diarra is a redshirt sophomore at Connecticut.

"They have a lot of big players that came though there. I just want to become a better all-around player," he said. "And I want to continue to mature on and off the court."

ACC Basketball: Top 5 rising seniors for 2018-19 (bustingbrackets.com; Anderson)

The upperclassmen in ACC basketball are a talented bunch. Led by a veteran, this year’s rising seniors have a chance to be very good.

The rising seniors in ACC basketball all return with one thing on their mind: a national title. The North Carolina Tar Heels, Syracuse Orange, NC State Wolfpack and Virginia Tech Hokies all have an opportunity to be scary good in 2018-19.

The Tar Heels are led by senior Luke Maye. Maye initially entered his name in the 2018 NBA Draft, but decided to return for his final season of college basketball in the ACC. The Orange have a wildcard on their roster after losing in the Elite Eight last year to Duke. The Virginia Tech Hokies are probably the sleeper in ACC basketball.

The Hokies return four of five starters from last season’s team. Coming off the heels of his best season, guard Justin Robinson shouldn’t disappoint in his final season. The landscape is ripe for another competitive season of ACC basketball.

There’s an experienced group ready to lead the way and bring a title home to the conference. Here’s a look at the Top 5 rising seniors for 2018-19 in the ACC.

Other

okgcaerialpic.jpg

Olde Kinderhook Golf Club

10 Upstate NY golf courses that will bring you to your knees (newyorkupstate.com; Wagner)

1. Oak Hill Country Club, East Course
Type: Private
Par/Yardage: 71/7,152 (*par 70 for championship play)
Course Rating: 76.4. Slope: 148. Total: 224.4

While Oak Hill’s East Course technically landed in a tie with Olde Kinderhook Golf Club with identical numbers (76.4 Course Rating, 148 Slope and 224.4 total), not even a coin flip is needed to determine the winner. Oak Hill has hosted 10 professional and amateur major championships, plus the Ryder Cup. Olde Kinderhook? A few USGA qualifiers. If that’s not enough, I enter this personal anecdote into evidence:

A week before the 2008 Senior PGA Championship, I played the East Course with two other golf writers and an Oak Hill member. My solid opening drive missed the first cut of rough by one yard and settled into primary rough so thick I could barely see the ball. It took two whacks to get it out and a fourth to land on the front of the green. Three putts later my visions of impressing the member vanished with a triple bogey. I only felt vindicated a week later when I watched the first practice round played by Greg Norman. While the Shark made a routine par on that opening hole, his playing partner, Sam Torrance, an eight-time Ryder Cup player and former captain, played the hole nearly exactly the way I did. A drive into the rough. Two whacks out and one onto the front of the green. The only difference was he two-putted for a double bogey.

2. Olde Kinderhook Golf Club
Type: Private
Par/Yardage: 72/7,292
Course Rating: 76.4. Slope: 148. Total: 224.4

This Rees Jones links-style course in Columbiana County opened to fanfare in 1999 and remains one of the toughest-rated tests in the Capital District area. Wide fairways are offset by a bounty of challenges: deep bunkers, wavy wild fescue, water hazards and elevation changes. If your game goes sour at this course, located east of the Hudson River and 30 minutes south of Albany, at least you have the Catskills to the east and Berkshires west to look at in the distance.

Of the public course on the list I haven't gotten to Timber Banks yet nor 1 of the 3 turning stone courses but hope too soon..

Sarataga National is a nice run you need to play it a few times just to know when you can play driver or you will be in the water all day on some good drives.

En-Joe is just so tight you better be hitting i straight and from the tips you really stress the long game especially on the par 5s.

I thought the 2 Turning stone courses were pretty simple but really nice shape.

Ravenwood is pretty deceptive with undulations so yardage is a guess at times, but its a pretty good value for its pricing

Some other top upstate ones didnt make the list

Cornell is coming back into form.. Still some bunker issues but not a bad layout and has hosted the HS state tourney for years.

Sagamore is s good solid old course
Leatherstocking at Cooperstown
Bristol Harbour

Hiawatha links and Conklin is a good 2 day jaunt

the Saratoga Spa course was good back in the day

Hiland in Lake George was nice when it opened.

Of the public course on the list I haven't gotten to Timber Banks yet nor 1 of the 3 turning stone courses but hope too soon..

Sarataga National is a nice run you need to play it a few times just to know when you can play driver or you will be in the water all day on some good drives.

En-Joe is just so tight you better be hitting i straight and from the tips you really stress the long game especially on the par 5s.

I thought the 2 Turning stone courses were pretty simple but really nice shape.

Ravenwood is pretty deceptive with undulations so yardage is a guess at times, but its a pretty good value for its pricing

Some other top upstate ones didnt make the list

Cornell is coming back into form.. Still some bunker issues but not a bad layout and has hosted the HS state tourney for years.

Sagamore is s good solid old course
Leatherstocking at Cooperstown
Bristol Harbour

Hiawatha links and Conklin is a good 2 day jaunt

the Saratoga Spa course was good back in the day

Hiland in Lake George was nice when it opened.
I thought it was a decent list but Chris focused on the well known ones too much.

Atunyote is a great course. It is kept in great shape. But it isn't that tough. It belongs on a list of the 10 best courses in upstate NY but not the 10 toughest. Shenendoah is even easier. It is really nice but not very difficult. It should never have been considered for inclusion.

Seven Oaks should have been on the list. Big, glaring omission. It is long, the greens are tough and there is danger lurking everywhere.

I would consider Radisson, Belleveue, Grossingers and Yahnundasis as well. They are all tough courses.