Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
chilli-dog.jpg

Welcome to National Chili Dog Day!

Once a year on the last Thursday in July, we celebrate the convergence of two iconic foods—hot dogs and chili—in observance of National Chili Dog Day.
While each is remarkable on its own, when brought together in a single bun with personalized condiments, chili and dogs reach euphoric new heights.
The sum is greater than its parts. It was a fusion before fusion cuisine became hip.
Like many food legends and lore, there isn’t much clarity or agreement about the origins of chili dogs. There are, however, lots of colorful claims.
But just as chili and dogs converge, the chili portion of the equation is where the paths diverge.

The oldest type of chili associated with hot dogs stems from a Greek-Macedonian heritage and is not to be confused with the Tex-Mex style of chili, which is the other common type of chili used to create the acclaimed chili dog.

This meat sauce is laced with Greek seasonings—cinnamon, oregano, even chocolate and, sometimes, tomato. This type of meat sauce is found in most parts of the country. The main flavor components are ground beef cooked to a crumble, oil, beef fat, and red chili flakes.
In many cases, this sauce has regional names—Coney (Island) Sauce or Michigan sauce, for example.
However, the ingredients and preparation are relatively similar region to region.

The other type of chili most commonly used with hot dogs is Tex-Mex style which, in true tradition, is known as a “bowl of red” and has no beans added, but chili variations with beans (generally red kidney beans) abound.

SU News

Syracuse.jpg

Devendorf: Syracuse Basketball Is Family (cbsradio.com; Ferrall)

Once an Orangeman, always an Orangeman.

This has definitely been the case with ex-Syracuse guard Eric Devendorf, whose basketball career has taken a variety of twists and turns since turning pro in 2009. After spending seven years with teams that have ranged from the NBA D-League to playing overseas in foreign locations like Ukraine, Israel, Greece and New Zealand, Devendorf has come back to his alma matter as an assistant strength coach on Jim Boeheim’s staff. Speaking with CBS Sports Radio about his experiences, Devendorf says that Boeheim has always welcomed back former players with open arms.

“Syracuse basketball is a family,” Devendorf said on Ferrall on the Bench. “Coach keeps everyone close. He’s not the easiest guy to talk to, but he’s a loyal guy. If you played for him, he makes sure you’re going to be okay. That’s what it is — it’s family.”

Devendorf, who is from Michigan, initially committed to play for Tom Izzo at Michigan State. He changed his mind, though, after seeing the Spartans play the Orange in 2003 – the year that Carmelo Anthony and Gerry McNamara led Syracuse to the national championship.

“I went to a game at Michigan State, and they happened to play Syracuse,” Devendorf said. “I watched them play, and I told my coach that I think I might want to take another look. I ended up de-committing from Michigan State, and it was Cuse from there on.”

Battle dishes on decision to return to SU (spectrumlocalnews.com; video; Staff)

Syracuse guard Tyus Battle explains why he decided to forgo the NBA draft for a third season with the Orange. Battle was in Brooklyn last weekend cheering on Boeheim's Army in The Basketball Tournament.

Foster program gets a new addition (spectrumlocalnews.com; Staff)

A program to benefit foster kids and their families gets a long-awaited addition.

The Salvation Army’s Family Place Program in Syracuse held a ribbon cutting for their new basketball court. The program provides a safe place for kids who are in foster care to visit with their biological families.

Those working at the Family Place hope the addition of the basketball court will lead to quality time during those visits.

"I can't imagine the look on the kids' faces when the older kids and the teenagers and the dads come here to visit and see that not only do the little kids have a place to play, but now they have a space that they can play," said Salvation Army Executive Director for Community Services Linda Lopez.

The court was donated by the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation and Century Heating and Air Conditioning.

Other

Apex-Entertainment-Marlborough-7.jpg

All-Star bowling alley at Destiny USA to close; New entertainment venue coming (PS; Buckshot)

All-Star Alley & Tavern bowling alley at Destiny USA will be closing its doors soon, but a new entertainment center will be moving in its place later this year.

All-Star Alley & Tavern opened in May 2017. The bowling alley took over the space previously held by Revolutions, which opened in October 2013 and closed in January 2017.

Destiny USA's Director of Marketing John Fazio said All-Star Alley will close in the "near future" to make way for a new entertainment venue that will offer bowling, bumper cars, laser tag and virtual reality entertainment.

It's a new entertainment concept and operator, Fazio said.

Apex Entertainment Center will take over the 55,000-square-feet venue on the third level of Destiny USA's Canyon Area, which will undergo a complete transformation prior to opening. Apex is scheduled to open later this year.

Apex, which currently has a location in Massachusetts, will offer virtual reality simulators, a multi-level laser tag arena, bowling and bumper cars. The venue will also include a full-service kitchen, which will service American cuisine, and a tavern.

Devendorf, who is from Michigan, initially committed to play for Tom Izzo at Michigan State. He changed his mind, though, after seeing the Spartans play the Orange in 2003 – the year that Carmelo Anthony and Gerry McNamara led Syracuse to the national championship.

“I went to a game at Michigan State, and they happened to play Syracuse,” Devendorf said. “I watched them play, and I told my coach that I think I might want to take another look. I ended up de-committing from Michigan State, and it was Cuse from there on.”
My older son and I were at the SU vs MSU game in East Lansing that Devo tells about. Great game.