Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NVRDbanner.jpg

Welcome to National Voter Registration Day!

National Voter Registration Day, which was started in 2012, is a holiday celebrating democracy in the United States, in which the goal is to make sure everyone has the opportunity to vote. Awareness is raised so that tens of thousands of people register to vote who may not be reached otherwise. Volunteers work on the ground and with technology and media to make sure this happens. The day is endorsed by the National Association of Secretaries of State and State Election Directors.

National Voter Registration Day is being observed today! It has been observed the fourth Tuesday in September since 2012.

SU News

74d_20180203dnsubasket45.jpeg

Syracuse basketball: 7 key questions as the Orange starts practice (PS; Waters)

The Syracuse basketball team will hold its first official practice of the 2018-19 season Tuesday at the Carmelo K. Anthony Center.

Syracuse has all five starters back from a team that went 23-14 a year ago and advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

The Orange will be led by Tyus Battle, who was the team's leading scorer last year, senior point guard Frank Howard and Oshae Brissett, who led the team in rebounding as a freshman.

In addition to his five starters, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will have returners Bourama Sidibe and Howard Washington plus East Carolina transfer Elijah Hughes and the freshman class of Jalen Carey, Robert Braswell and Buddy Boeheim.

The preseason drills will give Jim Boeheim, who is entering his 43rd season as the head coach of the Orange, a month to get ready for its first exhibition game against the College of Saint Rose on Oct. 25 and 42 days to prepare for the regular season opener against Eastern Washington on Nov. 6.

So what are Boeheim's main concerns?

"There's not any one thing,'' he said in an interview last week. "The approach we have every year is to try to get the team as ready as we can for the first game and then try to get better as we go along.''

Still, here are some questions for the Orange as it begins practice.

Other

ryan-mcmahon-82af31b046fb0629.jpeg

With no opposition, Ryan McMahon poised to become next Onondaga County Executive (PS; Baker)

Within hours of Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney's announcement she would resign, Legislature Chairman Ryan McMahon has locked up enough support to succeed her. He could be in office in a matter of weeks.

McMahon, 38, announced he wants the job Monday afternoon, flanked by a majority of the legislature, including Democrats and Republicans.

It will be up to the legislature to appoint the next executive. Thirteen of the legislature's 17 members stood with McMahon as he announced his intent to seek the job. They applauded as he discussed his plans.

"I have many of my colleagues behind me today," he said. "I'm hopeful to have all these colleagues as sponsors of the resolution moving forward."

Two Democrats, Chris Ryan and Linda Ervin, were in the room but did not stand with McMahon. Legislator Tom Buckel, also a Democrat, was not in attendance.

Mahoney's surprise announcement Monday that she would resign left many lawmakers stunned and little prepared for what to do next. McMahon, a Republican, has no apparent Democratic opponent and has amassed lawmakers' support.
Ervin, the Democratic floor leader, said no Democrat has said he will oppose McMahon for the appointment this year. She said the news was still fresh and everyone was taken by surprise.

Even if Democrats had an option, they wouldn't have the votes. There are 12 Republicans in the legislature and five Democrats.
It's possible still that a candidate could come forward, but McMahon said he didn't expect one.

"I don't think that will happen judging by the support my colleagues have expressed to me," McMahon said of another potential candidate. "I'm very humbled by that and very proud of that."

Last edited:
'Brissett, Syracuse's 6-foot-8 sophomore, underwent what Boeheim has called a minor surgical procedure recently, but Boeheim said Brissett is already back.'

Ummm, excuse me...?