Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
GANDHI_INTERNATIONAL.jpg

Welcome to International Day of Non-Violence!

International Day of Non-Violence celebrates the use of non-violence to create social and political change and honors Mahatma Gandhi by being observed on the anniversary of his birth. Non-violence is not passive but engages in conflicts while at the same time rejecting physical violence. It has been used by many social and political movements throughout history. In January 2007 a conference was convened in New Delhi that called for the United Nations to create a day of non-violence. On June 15, 2007, a resolution creating the day was adopted by the United Nations, after it was introduced by India's Minister of State for External Relations, Anand Sharma.

SU News

DH1_9375.jpg

Capel Instills Panthers With Newfound Confidence After Season to Forget (pittsburghsportsnow.com; Rostein)

Coming off one of the worst seasons in program history, there’s a surprising sense of optimism permeating through the Pitt men’s basketball team ahead of the 2018-19 season.
So why the brighter outlook for a team that’s lost its last 22 games in ACC play? For junior guard/forward Malik Ellison, it all starts with the Panthers’ new man in charge, Jeff Capel.

“Coach Capel is the main thing,” Ellison said. “When he first got here, I could really feel his presence. He’s a hard-working guy, and he’s also very genuine and down to earth. He’s easy to get along with and easy to talk to, and I gained my trust in him and he trusts me as well.”

Pitt’s returning players from the mostly-miserable Kevin Stallings era sensed a noticeable change in the building as soon as Capel took over. From the way he runs his practices to the way he’s able to connect with his players, the atmosphere surrounding the program is that of a team with nowhere to go but up.

“Every day he preaches winning. Finding a way to win. And then through that, we kind of all embrace that we need to find ways to win,” sophomore guard Khameron Davis said. “So today, I’m mad today, because I didn’t win everything I was in. And that’s only because Capel has been instilling that into us, so the culture is already changing.”

Having Ellison out on the court is sure to provide a boost for Pitt’s offensive woes from a season ago, as he can provide another versatile, athletic scorer on the wing the Panthers so desperately needed last year. He contributed right away as a true freshman at St. John’s, averaging 7.4 points per game over two seasons before transferring to Pitt following the 2016-17 season.

Ellison said watching the Panthers struggle through battles with injuries, inexperience and inconsistency last year while sitting out due to transfer rules was one of the hardest things he’s had to go through as a player.
“It was very difficult, especially knowing you can help a lot,” Ellison said. “Just being there every day in practice, just seeing how the energy was low every day because we were losing … it was a very tough year for me individually and just for the whole organization.”

OrangeAbility-logo.jpg

Come Play Accessible Sports at OrangeAbility 2018 (syr.edu; Elliot)

All members of the Syracuse University community and beyond are invited to the OrangeAbility: Accessible Athletics Expo on Sunday, Oct. 7, from 1 to 5 p.m. in the Women’s Building.

This student-led initiative is sponsored by the Disability Student Union (DSU), Beyond Compliance Coordinating Committee, Disability Cultural Center, Recreation Services, and MoveAlong, Inc. While OrangeAbility has typically been held in the spring, it will be hosted in the fall this year to take advantage of the nice weather—marking the eighth time the event has been hosted on campus, twice in 2018.

OrangeAbility provides disabled and nondisabled people of all ages with the opportunity to play and learn about an array of inclusive and adaptive sports. This year, OrangeAbility will feature tennis, sled hockey and cycles. Attendees will also engage with local teams on the court, as well as organizations in the area. The event centers the experiences and skills of disabled athletes and sports fans, while highlighting that accessible sports are about tailoring approaches to a wide variety of players, including nondisabled participants.

The afternoon of activities will celebrate disability cultures and identities and provide a space for all to feel welcome and comfortable. It is an event that highlights the legacy and growing vibrancy of the disability community on and off the hill. Occurring in October this year, highly anticipated events during Disability Awareness and Appreciation Month.

Other

Charlie Miller and Jake Pucci eat and drink their way through beautiful Ithaca, N.Y. Don't miss these spots if you're in town. Video by Katrina Tulloch. Drone footage by Scott Trimble. Graphics by Christa Lemczak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom