Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
joy%2Bleap%2Bbetter.jpg
Welcome to National Joy Germ Day!

On January 8, 1981, Joan E. White of Syracuse, New York, was reading the newspaper when she came across a story about a California couple who offered to worry for others in exchange for a fee. White believed this approach to facing the world's problems was flawed and decided to create an organization to counteract the worriers. She founded Joygerms Unlimited and designated January 8 as Joygerm Day, on what also happened to be her late mother Nora's birthday.

The goal of the day is to "smile, hug, grin, and win over at least one grumpy grouch." It is a day to spread cheer through "germs of joy." It is a time for positivity, optimism, smiles, and kindness to everyone that one comes into contact with. Some celebrants, often members of Joygerms Unlimited, have gone to nursing homes and hospitals to spread cheer. Parades have also been held on the day. It is not seen as a day to ignore life's problems, but rather, a day to rise above them.

SU News

2014-06-19-sports-writers-on-tv.jpg

Beat writers predict Syracuse to outlast Clemson in the Carrier Dome (dailyorange.com; Staff)

Syracuse (10-4, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) continues conference play on Wednesday in the Carrier Dome against Clemson (10-4, 0-1). The Orange closed out the nonconference portion of the schedule with wins over Arkansas State and St. Bonaventure before topping Notre Dame in South Bend on Jan. 5. The Tigers started their conference slate falling to No. 1 Duke, while SU looks to build momentum in winnable games.

Here’s what our beat writers think will happen Wednesday night.

Billy Heyen (12-2)
Too much orange
Syracuse 72, Clemson 67

The one concern for Syracuse should be that the two Clemson players who scored in double figures last year in the Dome, Marcquise Reed and Elijah Thomas, are both back to try to do it again. But the Orange showed at Notre Dame that they can overcome two effective opposing players with defensive adjustments and their own shot-making. Expect that to continue against an aggressive Tigers’ man-to-man defense to send the Orange crowd home happy on Wednesday night.

Charlie DiSturco (11-3)
Paper Tiger
Syracuse 68, Clemson 62

A strong performance on the road against Notre Dame showed just how good this Syracuse offense can be. The Orange have an opportunity to keep the ball rolling against Clemson on Wednesday, part of a two-game home stretch before traveling to Duke.

Syracuse Basketball: Big men need to step up for SU to reach full potential (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

The Syracuse basketball team seems to be missing a certain something in 2018. If they don’t find it fast, this team will never fulfill their true potential.
***The following conversation is based on actual events that actually took place. Only the names, conversation, and context have been changed.***

Let me start this off by saying hello my name is Paul A. Esden Jr, I stand at 5-foot-3 (on a slanted hill), I’m a former basketball player who was a key part (debatable) of a championship team nearly a decade ago.

Now let’s continue to go around the room, how about you guys over there?

“Hello my name is Paschal Chukwu, I’m 7-foot-2, and I can’t dunk a basketball.”

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 1-7 ESPN Syracuse podcast (player.fm; radio; Steve and Seth)

Steve and Seth discuss the Orange's win against Notre Dame over the weekend including if they're seeing glimpses of what they thought the team would look like heading in to the season. Then, they discuss tonight's College Football National Championship between Alabama and Clemson.

On The Block On Demand 1-7 ESPN Syracuse podcast (player.fm; Axe)

Brent is back talking SU basketball after a win over Notre Dame this weekend. Later, he is joined by Seth for the Blindside.

usa_today_11947984.0.jpg

Zion Williamson Named ACC Freshman Of The Week (DBR; King)

Everyone is still talking about Zion Williamson’s 360 dunk against Clemson, but that wasn’t why he was named the ACC Freshman of the Week.

It didn't hurt, but the overall performance - 25 points, ten rebounds and a collection of highlights - did the trick.

Next Up For Duke Basketball: Wake Forest (DBR; King)

Nothing about Wake Forest basketball has been the same since July 26, 2007, the day that Skip Prosser died in his office from a massive heart attack.

We can remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. It was a devastating blow to his loved ones and Wake Forest fans obviously, but it was also tough for all ACC fans. You didn’t have to love every thing about Prosser to realize that he was a fine basketball coach and a very good man.

Since his death, Wake Forest has hired his assistant Dino Gaudio, Jeff Bzdelik and Danny Manning.

Gaudio inherited solid talent from Prosser but never seemed fully in control of it. Additionally, he won exactly one post-season game by one or two points and lost every other one badly.

Bzdelik inspired a fan rebellion at Wake Forest the likes of which we’d never seen before. He finally gave up and fled, ala Herb Sendek who left NC State also thoroughly disliked. He went on to become a very highly regarded assistant coach with the Houston Rockets.

And Manning?

We don't get it.

ACC Basketball Roundup - NC State And UNC On Deck Tuesday (DBR; King)

Tuesday is a Big Four day in the ACC as only the North Carolina schools are playing with Duke visiting Wake Forest and UNC busing over to Raleigh to play the Wolfpack.

As usual we talk about Duke separately, being the Duke Basketball Report, and the ACC as a corollary to that so check the main Duke story on the front page.

The State-Carolina game could be interesting.

UNC has dominated the Pack for a long time and unlike a lot of UNC folk, Ol’ Roy still gets fired up to play State and always has. He sees it as a huge rivalry and one worth busting your hump for and his teams have reflected that.

This year?

Hard to say but whatever happens, we don't think it’ll be an easy win for UNC. The Tar Heels split with State last year with a much tougher team, especially around the basket.

This year’s team will center much more (no pun intended) around guard play and that’s State’s strength. UNC is still very athletic but Ol’ Roy has complained bitterly about his team’s occasional lack of focus.

Keatts, No. 15 Wolfpack thriving with 10-player rotation :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; AP; Beard)

Kevin Keatts spent his first year at North Carolina State installing an aggressive pressure-based scheme. Now he's got the numbers to run it how he likes: with a deep rotation that has the 15th-ranked Wolfpack thriving at the start of Atlantic Coast Conference play.

N.C. State is regularly going 10 deep, sometimes with complete five-player substitutions. It's kept Wolfpack players fresh during games while allowing Keatts to tinker with lineups looking for the right combination or the hot hand. And it's a key part of the program getting off to its best start in 45 years, not to mention carrying a Top 25 ranking for the first time in roughly six years.

"What's happened is those guys have given me confidence in practice," Keatts said Monday. "I think every coach in the country plays the guys they feel comfortable with. When you look at our 10 guys, I don't think it's a lot of separation from the five guys that I start and the five guys I bring off the bench.

"Each one of those guys have done something in practice that made me feel good about playing them in games."

Wolfpack is ready to face UNC in ACC basketball action (hearaldonline.com; video; Alexander)

NC State senior Torin Dorn talks about facing North Carolina in a game matching Top 15 teams, old hoops rival Luke Maye and more during media availability Jan. 7, 2019.

Other

FPVLK5F665FDTM3POQAIKPPGLA.JPG

Could Syracuse salt return as a cooking staple? (PS; Weaver)

Chefs and many home cooks know that salt is more than the sum of its sodium chloride parts.

Different salts contain different minerals. Those combinations create salts that vary from bitter to mild to cheek-puckering. Size matters too: flaky finishes the dish, while small grains are better for cooking.

In recent years, salts once known only to professional chefs have gone mainstream. Maldon is a salt type, a place and a company that sells sea salt from the southeast coast of England. Pink Himalayan rock salt comes from Pakistan. Even Wegmans sells its own version of fleur de sel, flaky sea salt from the coast of France.

So could salt from the Salt City – from brackish water running deep under Syracuse – become as popular? The father and daughter behind Syracuse Salt Co. think so.

“Eventually, everybody might know about Salt City salt,” says Libby Croom, who with her father started their company in 2015.

The two already sell many of their 17 types of salts at nearly 30 retail spots throughout Central New York. Currently, they buy salts from around the world then flavor them with Syracuse-area ingredients and products such as lavender, hops, espresso and even a Finger Lakes red wine.

So could salt from the Salt City – from brackish water running deep under Syracuse – become as popular? The father and daughter behind Syracuse Salt Co. think so.

This salt from brackish deep groundwater could become popular as the world learns that sea salt is contaminated with micro-plastics.