Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Screen-Shot-2016-06-28-at-8.26.11-AM-768x458.jpg

Welcome to National Wear Purple for Peace Day!

On National Wear Purple for Peace Day, people don't wear purple to stop nuclear war or a particular conflict, and they don't aim for world peace just for the sake of it—they have a reason behind it. The day was made to get aliens to visit earth! Whoever thought it up believed that humans are too violent towards each other and that if we ever are going to get aliens to visit us, we better clean up our act. They also believed that wearing the color purple would help us achieve world peace, and would signal to aliens that we are on our way to reaching our goal.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: 2 teams are ideal fits for Oshae Brissett in NBA (itlh; Mlodzinski)

Former Syracuse forward Oshae Brissett has multiple teams interested in him, but one, in particular, could really be a perfect match at the next level.

In case you haven’t heard by now, former Syracuse basketball Oshae Brissett isn’t just testing the NBA Draft waters. He’s shredding through them with the hopes of getting drafted.

After the inaugural G-League Elite Camp, Brissett was one of a handful of players who really stood out from the pack. Oshae was recognized as one of the best performers and will advance to the NBA Combine, as determined by a vote of NBA teams, per the official G-League Press Release.

According to box scores from the Elite Camp tweeted out by Jonathan Givony, Brissett was one of the top scorers.

In game one, Brissett led his team in scoring, dropping 15 points off the bench, and grabbing four rebounds with one steal.

Move on to game two, in which the Orange sophomore got the start, and added another six points on top of four more rebounds and two blocked shots. Not only did he stuff the stat sheets, but he also shot very efficiently during the two-day camp, at over 50 percent from the field, while knocking down multiple treys.

Syracuse’s Oshae Brissett still weighing draft decision (PS; Zags)

Oshae Brissett dreams of following his fellow Canadians into the NBA.

From Denver’s Jamal Murray to the Clippers’ Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Canadians dot NBA rosters throughout the league. Duke’s R.J. Barrett, another Canadian phenom, is expected to be a top-3 pick in next month’s NBA Draft.

The 6-foot-8 Brissett is testing the NBA Draft waters with an agent and spent Monday and Tuesday performing in front of representatives from all 30 NBA teams at the 2019 NBA G League Elite Camp at Quest Multisport.

"I want to be a guy that a lot of people talk about and appreciate me playing for whatever team I’m at,” Brissett said Tuesday. “I know playing with that comes the responsibility of having all my family back at home and all of Canada really supporting me, so I hold that high every time I step on the court.

The Mississauga, Ontario, native averaged 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds as a sophomore at Syracuse. His teammate Tyus Battle, who led Syracuse in scoring at 17.2 points per game, is also here at the G League event.

On Tuesday, Brissett went for 6 points and 4 rebounds after putting up 15 points and 4 rebounds on Monday. His team is now 2-0.

“It’s great, it’s great. I feel like everything’s going well right now,” he said. “I’m really confident in the way that I’m playing. The stuff I worked on has really helped going into the workouts that I had, so I just go in with a mindset to be myself and hopefully a team really likes me.”

With two big men still in the NBA draft, Duke goes after 6-11, three-star center (newsobserver.com; Wiseman)

Its roster thin in the post due to two early departures to the NBA draft, Duke is in the market for a 6-11 center.

The Blue Devils ramped up their recruiting chase for Boston’s Charles Coleman this month and offered a scholarship to the three-star big man on Wednesday, according to his Twitter feed.

The 240-pound center was once a Wake Forest commit, having pledged to the Demon Deacons in March. But he backed off that commitment on Monday.

Duke, Pittsburgh, Connecticut and Georgia have offered him scholarships since then, according to recruiting sites 247sports.com and .

Coleman played at Dexter Southfield School in Brookline, Mass., and with the Wright Way Skills AAU program. The Blue Devils had been recruiting him prior to his Wake Forest commitment but hadn’t offered until Wednesday.

Duke has one interior player, 6-10, 275-pound Vernon Carey, in its 2019 recruiting class. Carey is rated a five-star recruit and the No. 6 player in the country.

Duke had planned to have veteran depth in the post along with Carey. But 6-11 Marques Bolden and 6-10 Javin DeLaurier, both rising seniors, entered their names in the NBA draft last month.

Bolden played in 35 games, with 21 starts, last season as Duke went 32-6 and won the ACC championship. He averaged 5.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game while finishing second on the team with 58 blocked shots.

DeLaurier, one of Duke’s team captains, played in all 38 games with 16 starts. He averaged 3.8 points and 4.4 rebounds.

Both players have until May 29 to withdraw from the draft and return to school for their final seasons at Duke. Neither were invited to this week’s NBA Scouting Combine in Chicago.

At the same time, neither have committed to returning to Duke, so the Blue Devils coaching staff is in need of depth because Carey is the only post player on the projected roster for next season.

ACC coaches proud to be a part of league’s winning culture (orlandosentinel.com; Powell)

This year’s ACC spring meetings feature the coach of the reigning national champion in football and men’s basketball as well as the runner-up in women’s basketball.

The conference spring meetings have featured at least one national champion from the major sports during the past five years, along with numerous NCAA Tournament teams and playoff contenders.

Coaches from around the league take pride in their recent success and say the entire league is now embracing championship expectations.

For Virginia coach Tony Bennett, whose team recently won the men’s basketball national title, the ACC is about feeding off oone another’s success. He said Clemson head coach and fellow national champion Dabo Swinney sent him words of encouragement before Virginia’s championship-game matchup against Texas Tech.

“The culture here is great. These spring meetings, you’re getting some work done, you’re talking about the issues for your sport and for your league. It’s a great camaraderie — especially for the coaches,” Bennett said. “I’ve been here 10 years and you see the same familiar faces, a lot of the same [athletics directors], faculty reps and so you pull for each other.”

Virginia Tech's Hokie Club Among Fastest-Growing Fundraisers in the ACC (sportswar.com)

Recently, while looking through some Virginia Tech Board of Visitor (BOV) minutes from their March 31 – April 1 meeting, I encountered some information that Athletic Director Whit Babcock had presented to the BOV. It showed some interesting trends in ACC donor levels.

Increasing the number of Virginia Tech alumni and fans that donate is one of the main topics of discussion with regards to the Hokie Club. When the Hokie Scholarship Fund was announced back in May of 2016, Virginia Tech released some figures comparing Hokie Club donation numbers to their fellow ACC schools. It showed that Virginia Tech’s participation level, particularly in percentage of living alumni who donate, was low.

Here’s the graph they provided at the time, with 2014 figures, sorted by percent of living alumni who donate.

vt_acc_donors.jpg

MBB: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery, Mock Draft (RX; HM)

The NBA held its draft lottery yesterday, resulting in this draft order:

From 2019 NBA Draft Lottery results, takeaways: Pelicans land top pick, likely Zion Williamson; Knicks, Lakers take Nos. 3 and 4

2019 NBA Draft Lottery Results:
1. PELICANS
2. GRIZZLIES
3. KNICKS
4. LAKERS
5. CAVALIERS
6. SUNS
7. BULLS
8. HAWKS
9. WIZARDS
10. HAWKS (via the Dallas Mavericks)
11. TIMBERWOLVES
12. HORNETS
13. HEAT
14. CELTICS (via the Sacramento Kings)

Bleacher Report already has this mock draft on the web:

2019 NBA Mock Draft, Post-Draft Lottery Edition

1. New Orleans Pelicans: Zion Williamson (Duke, PF/C, Freshman)
2. Memphis Grizzlies: Ja Morant (Murray State, PG, Sophomore)
3. New York Knicks: RJ Barrett (Duke, SG/SF, Freshman)
4. Los Angeles Lakers: De'Andre Hunter (Virginia, SF/PF, Sophomore)
5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Jarrett Culver (Texas Tech, SG, Sophomore)
6. Phoenix Suns: Darius Garland (Vanderbilt, PG, Freshman)
7. Chicago Bulls: Coby White (North Carolina, PG/SG, Freshman)
8. Atlanta Hawks: Cam Reddish (Duke, SG/SF, Freshman)
9. Washington Wizards: Bol Bol (Oregon, C, Freshman)
10. Atlanta Hawks (via Mavericks): Romeo Langford (Indiana, SG, Freshman)
11. Minnesota Timberwolves: Sekou Doumbouya (France, SF/PF, 2000)
12. Charlotte Hornets: Jaxson Hayes (Texas, C, Freshman)
13. Miami Heat: Kevin Porter Jr. (USC, SG, Freshman)
14. Boston Celtics (via Kings): Goga Bitadze (Georgia, C, 1999)

Other

4DVLB3IATRHPHBVHJOHUTW6BCI.jpg

Land trust acquires portion of Skaneateles Lake shoreline for preservation (PS; Libonati)

The Finger Lakes Land Trust has acquired 900 feet of the Skaneateles Lake shoreline for preservation purposes, the group announced Wednesday in a press release.

The acquisition includes the Staghorn Cliffs and 90 acres of hillside forest. It also extended the land trust’s ownership of Lake Skaneateles’ shoreline to 2,200 feet. The land trust says it is creating a green belt around the south end of the lake.

Part of the funding for the acquisition came from the state Department of Environmental Conservation’s Water Quality Improvement Project, the release said. The program funds projects that address water quality impairments or protect a drinking water source.

Land acquired by the trust includes 4,600 feet of frontage on Barber Gulf, a tributary to the lake.

The Skaneateles watershed provides drinking water for 220,000 residents, including some in the City of Syracuse, the release said.

The Staghorn Cliffs are steep cliffs with fossilized coral reef, and are next to the land trust’s Cora Kampfe Dickinson Preserve. Bald eagles and Cerulean Warblers -- both species are a priority to preserve -- are known to live on the Staghorn Cliffs. The National Audubon recognizes the land as an Important Bird Area.

Kathy-Walters-e1557771205764-800x533.jpg

New Board of Trustees Chair Motivated to Support the University’s Vision - Syracuse.edu (syracuse.edu)

Kathleen Walters ’73 believes strongly that Syracuse University has room for everyone. She cites the University’s longstanding history of supporting diversity and the importance of having an inclusive campus. “This notion that there is room for everyone has honestly defined my life,” she says. “I find that it’s a possibility for all. That’s really been the foundation for me and why I love this school.”

Walters is the new chair of the Syracuse University Board of Trustees and the first woman to hold the position. A mathematics major at Syracuse, Walters grew up in Rockville, Maryland, and arrived on campus sight unseen. “There weren’t college visit trips in my family,” she says. “But Syracuse turned out to be a defining point in my life.”

A recognized leader in the international business community, Walters currently serves as executive vice president of Georgia-Pacific and president of its consumer products group. She and her husband, Stan Walters ’72—an Orange football great who had a Pro Bowl career in the NFL and became a radio commentator for the Philadelphia Eagles—are longtime supporters of Syracuse University. They are dedicated alumni volunteers in the Atlanta area, where they live.

Here are some highlights of a conversation with Walters about her new role.

What motivates you to serve in this leadership role?

When I had the opportunity to join the board I thought it was a great honor and a way to give back. What’s happening with the University and its vision motivates me to want to keep helping in any way I can, as well as the general notion to want to give back to the place that got me started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom