Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
A004B7C0-B673-4A11-8914-AA5C41497875-475x317.png

Welcome to Just Because Day!

Just Because Day exists and should be celebrated, just because! It is a day when people do things without thinking and reasoning why they are doing them. It is a day to do random things, and not follow the usual logic that causes us to do them. It is a day to do things just because.

SU News

Watch- Baldwinsville star J.J. Starling live with Niko Tamurian talking SU offer (cnycentral.com; video; Tamurian)

He may not graduate high school until 2022 but make no mistake, elite college basketball programs are already courting Baldwinsville stud guard J.J. Starling.

Proof of that, Syracuse offered him a scholarship over the weekend.

Starling tells me he had just finished Syracuse's Elite prospect camp where he was aggressive on offense. Starling was happy with the way he found his teammates and even scored on his own.

That's when Orange Associate Head Coach Adrian Autry called his mother. Adrian extended the scholarship offer, Starling was in shock.
"So I was getting in the car from the park and my mom was on the phone with Adrian Autry so he was just talking to me about how I did at the camp and then he goes "we're going to give you an offer" so at that moment I just stopped. I'm like no way right this is really happening? So I just froze and then I looked at my mom and just started smiling."

A moment he'll never forget, especially cheering on the Orange his entire life.

"I actually got jerseys of them, you know I have a lot of the Syracuse jerseys. Syracuse has one of those, like a dream school so it was just an amazing opportunity" says Starling.

5d61bcc3ddd13.image.jpg

Syracuse basketball star perseveres in breast cancer fight (phillytrib.com; McCleary)

The question “Why me?” has entered her mind, but Tiana Mangakahia knows these things happen all the time.

The 24-year-old star point guard for the Syracuse women’s basketball team was diagnosed with breast cancer about two months ago, and now she is halfway through chemotherapy.

Mangakahia spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday since acknowledging on July 1 she had the disease. The announcement by the red-shirt senior sent shock waves through the Syracuse program.

The Australian is one of the nation’s top women’s players. She said her condition has caused her to think more about life’s simpler things, but she maintains she’s still the same person.

“There are certain things you can’t control ,” she said. “You just have to kind of handle it and get through it.”
In early June, Mangakahia noticed a lump on her left breast, and things progressed quickly. She received a biopsy in mid-June and a mammogram. On June 18, her doctor called her and told her she had Grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma.

When she asked the doctor to explain what it was she couldn’t comprehend it. She had stage 2 breast cancer. When the shock subsided, she called coach Quentin Hillsman to ask if they could meet.

Candid Coaches: Which college basketball conference, top to bottom, has the best stable of coaches? (cbssports.com; Parrish)

CBS Sports college basketball writers Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander surveyed more than 100 coaches for our annual Candid Coaches series. They polled everyone from head coaches at elite programs to assistants at some of the smallest Division I schools. In exchange for complete anonymity, the coaches provided unfiltered honesty about a number of topics in the sport. Over the next couple of weeks, we'll be posting the results on nine questions they were asked.
Most Power 5 athletic departments, thanks to lucrative media rights deals signed by their conferences, have more money than they know what to do with these days. So they build incredible facilities, travel in first-class ways and invest heavily in coaches. If they have an unsuccessful one, they buy him out and hire somebody else. If they have a good one, they do whatever it takes to keep him. And the byproduct of this aggressive approach is a collection of coaches in the wealthiest conferences that's arguably as impressive as ever. With that in mind, we asked more than 100 college coaches the following question:
Which conference, top to bottom, has the best stable of coaches?

ConferenceVotes
ACC39%
Big 1223%
SEC19%
Big Ten16%
Big East2%
MVC1%
Quotes that stood out
  • "The ACC is my answer. A stable of Hall of Fame coaches and titans of the game. But the SEC is in the conversation. From top to bottom, the SEC may have the most amount of proven coaches."

Five bold predictions for the Duke Basketball team for the 2019-20 season (balldurham.vom; Connelly)

The Duke Basketball team will head into the 2019-20 season with high expectations and it’s time for some bold predictions that may happen this season.

The Duke Basketball season opener against the Kansas Jayhawks is just over two months away and expectations are high in Durham, as always.

However, while the Blue Devils lose the star power of Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett, and Cam Reddish, Duke will bring back experienced role players, a star-freshman class, and National Player of the Year Candidate Tre Jones.

The role players from last season that Duke will need more from this season include captains Javin DeLaurier and Jack White along with Alex O’Connell, Joey Baker, and Jordan Goldwire.

Mike Krzyzewski‘s squad will bring in the likes of Vernon Carey Jr., Wendell Moore, Matthew Hurt, and Cassius Stanley.
Duke will challenge itself in non-conference schedule, playing games away from Cameron Indoor Stadium against pre-season Top-5 teams Kansas and Michigan State as well as the anticipated much improved Georgetown Hoyas/Texas Longhorns.

Other

FWE4QUSSUVC6VL75JPSKCPB5CQ.jpg

Cake N Bacon at Nathan's

The best things we ate and drank at the NYS Fair (PS; Staff)

More than 40 syracuse.com journalists scoured the New York State Fairgrounds on opening day on a mission to find the best food, drink and entertainment options.

We also asked them to share their favorite finds with our readers.

Here they are:

Michael Curtis

His mission: The best gut-busting deep-fried eats of 2019
His favorite: The fried dough from Pizze Fritte. As soon as I took a bite, my mouth went to heaven. Sugar was everywhere, but not to the point to where it was overwhelming. It was the perfect level of sweetness.

Mike Waters

His mission: The best gut-busting deep-fried eats of 2019
His favorite: I ate a lot of really good food, and all of it was fried. One item stood above all the rest.
I had been told to try the Reuben Egg Roll at The Shamrock. When I went to the Shamrock’s tent near the Exposition Center, the folks there said it was one of their most popular items. I took one bite and I was sold. It was a perfect combination of Reuben sandwich and egg roll. The crunch of the shell even had the taste of rye. The price of $6 made it very reasonable, too. The Reuben Egg Roll is worth seeking out if you’re at the fair.

Teri Weaver

Her mission: Best healthy options you can eat
Her favorite: Burrito Bowl, $9, from Fresh Mex Mexican Grill in the Eatery.

This was definitely the best thing I ate on our quest to find healthful foods at the fair. The bowl starts with rice and beans, which are cooked without meat. I got pinto, a small portion of chicken – and then a heaping of fresh vegetables including tasty pico, salsa and guacamole. Everything tasted homemade. And the price was right; it’s definitely a full meal. I’ll be back.

Donna Ditota

Her mission: Best healthy options you can eat
Her favorite: The Garden Delight Wrap from Lumpy’s Sandwich Co., located in The Eatery.