Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
67b33c05-c209-4625-8492-053324235c00-Veterans_Day_Thank_You.jpg

Welcome to Veterans Day!

Veterans Day (originally known as Armistice Day) is a federal holiday in the United States observed annually on November 11, for honoring military veterans, that is, persons who have served in the United States Armed Forces (and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable)[1][2]. It coincides with other holidays including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. At the urging of major U.S. veteran organizations, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.

Veterans Day is distinct from Memorial Day, a U.S. public holiday in May. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who have died while in military service.[3] There is another military holiday, Armed Forces Day, a minor U.S. remembrance that also occurs in May, which honors those currently serving in the U.S. military.

SU News

TYQ5WOKVQVHSJPQR4PYEFCJFX4.jpeg

For Syracuse’s Robert Braswell, Veterans Day is also Mother’s Day (PS; Waters)

As they serve their country, members of the U.S. military make huge sacrifices.

For Akua Clark, that sacrifice meant leaving her son behind for months, or even years, throughout his young life.

“The more I did it, the more difficult it became,’’ she said. “It never got any easier because as he got older, he was more aware that I was leaving and would be gone a long time.’’

With the help of her mother and grandmother, Clark raised her son and remained in the Navy. Now with more than 20 years of service, she is a senior chief petty officer, the eighth-highest among the Navy’s nine enlisted ranks.

Her son, Robert Braswell, is now a 6-foot-7 sophomore on the Syracuse basketball team.

Braswell has lived with his mother on military bases in Virginia and Germany. While his mother was deployed overseas in places like Bahrain and Djibouti, Braswell stayed in Jacksonville, Fla., with his grandmother.

“It was hard when she had to leave for deployment,’’ Braswell said. “Who wants to be without their parent? But my mom’s whole family lives in Jacksonville. Everybody helped raise me.’’

She enlisted in the Navy when she was just 19 years old. She had grown up in a rough neighborhood in Jacksonville.
The Navy offered a way out.

“There weren’t a lot of options,’’ she said. “My cousin had joined years before me and I knew it would take me out of my surroundings.’’

Five star PG Kennedy Chandler enjoys Syracuse official visit (247sports.com; McAllister)

Five star Memphis (Tenn.) Briarcrest Christian point guard Kennedy Chandler is one of the best players in the 2021 class regardless of position. He took an official visit to Syracuse recently, and his father, Kylan Chandler, said the trip went well.

"The experience was great," Chandler said. "One thing we liked about it was the whole atmosphere was very family oriented. Great coaches. All the coaches on the staff, pretty much, are point guards, the position Kennedy plays. Great atmosphere with 25,000. On the academic side, Kennedy wants to major in sports broadcasting. What other place to go other than Newhouse? He met with the academic advisors and the strength coach and everybody. That was something impressive was Newhouse. The history of the school as far as (Mike) Tirico, Dick Clark, things like that were very impressive to me investing in life after basketball. We had a great time, great coaching staff, and it was just a great experience. It really was."

Mr. Chandler said his son is not someone who feels like he has to stay close to home necessarily, and that finding the best fit is the most important thing in his recruitment. He cited Kennedy's decision to play for Mokan Elite in the Nike EYBL as opposed to another program based in Tennessee as an example of that.
"He doesn't mind going where he feels it'll be the best fit for him," Chandler said. "One thing about him as well is the teams he watches, he really studies. There are several teams he studies and watches, and he feels like Syracuse would be a great fit. Because he feels like he can really help the team out. They have tradition on putting point guards in the league (NBA) and just players in the league.

"Once we went over to the Carmelo (Anthony) building, he knew all of the guys before I did. Some of the guys, he wasn't even born. He watched film. He knew about Sherman Douglas, Lawrence Moten, he knows about a lot of these guys, the Pearl, I had to help him with Pearl, but some of these other guys he's familiar with. Carter-Williams. So he does his homework. He's always told me he just wants to find the best fit."

The Chandlers were in attendance for Syracuse's season opener against Virginia. While the game may not have turned out as the Orange would have liked, the atmosphere and interaction with the fans left an impression.

A1_1106019_SUMMBvsVirginia_MaxFreund_SP-12-of-61.jpg

McCleary:‌ ‌Historic‌ ‌loss‌ ‌shows ‌wide‌ ‌gap‌ ‌between‌ ‌UVA‌ ‌and‌ ‌SU‌ (DO; McCleary)

After Syracuse recorded its worst offensive performance since the end of World War II, Jim Boeheim treated the game like any season-opener. SU’s roster full of potential recognized none of it on Nov. 6. Boeheim strolled to the podium frustrated, but looked to put the misfortunes of the Orange’s embarrassing performance in the past.

“I wish we would’ve won so when I say it, what I’m going to say would matter,” Boeheim said. “You never want to play leagues game early. It’s stupid. It’s just a money grab.”

Boeheim may be right, but his comments are reflective of the stark contrasts between the two program’s expectations, creating a dangerous precedent for a team whose allure surrounds its seemingly endless possibility. Virginia’s season will be judged on how deep it can run in the NCAA Tournament in the year following a championship win. Syracuse will be judged on whether or not it will get in at all.

To call Syracuse a dumpster fire after a performance normally reserved for its worst seasons ever would be misinformed. But to maintain blind faith would be overlooking the profound depths they reached against the Cavaliers. The Orange, in all likelihood, can only improve from here with a slew of nonconference and mid-major opponents on the horizon. But, just as likely, Virginia — and all the other ACC teams that started its season with a more obvious crop of talent than SU — can too.

The Orange entered the season with more unknowns than proven contributors. The yearly pondering over the center spot persisted after Paschal Chukwu graduated. Elijah Hughes stepped into a No. 1 role he hasn’t mimicked in nearly five years. And a starting lineup that’s returning just one player from last year’s tournament team is tasked with quickly meshing in the Orange’s 2-3 zone

But through two preseason games, SU seemingly offered some answers. It found an identity with the 3-point shot, showed promise with its defensive rotations and Hughes elevated his game to become the Orange’s unquestioned leader.

Where have all of the NBA Syracuse basketball players gone? - The Juice Online (the juice; Dagostino)

Beginning with Carmelo Anthony being selected as the third overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, The Syracuse Orange basketball team has had 12 first-round picks in the last 16 years. Five of those selections (including Anthony) were lottery picks. The post-Carmelo era in Syracuse was producing high-level talent with which NBA teams were enamored. But, the last two drafts have come and gone without a single Syracuse player being selected.

And the NBA staying power of former Syracuse players has dropped off drastically in recent years. While several players have continued their careers overseas, few have remained in the United States.

If you played basketball at Syracuse and your first name is some version of “Ty,” there is a good chance you are playing somewhere in the G League. Tyus Battle (Minnesota), Tyler Ennis (Toronto) and Tyler Roberson (LA Clippers) all are on G League rosters, with Battle being on an Exhibit 10 contract with the Timberwolves.

Oshae Brissett joins Ennis with the Raptors 905 team and is on a two-way contract, meaning he’ll likely make it up to the NBA at some point this season. The third former Syracuse player (on a technicality) that is on a two-way contract is B.J. Johnson, who is on Orlando’s G League roster. Johnson played two seasons at Syracuse, totaling 118 points, before transferring to LaSalle for his final two years. And Andrew White is the last of the six former Syracuse players who are rostered in the G League, one step away from the NBA.
That means that, at the moment, just three former Syracuse players are on NBA rosters.

One (Dion Waiters) is on the roster in name only, as the Miami Heat have told him he is out of shape and has an attitude problem (and also this issue). He has yet to step on the floor this season.

The former Rookie of the Year, Michael Carter-Williams, looked like he was soon going to be out of a job, but he seems to have found a role on the Orlando Magic this season. Through the first seven games, Carter-Williams had logged just 50 minutes and scored only 10 points.

Diakite's Double-Double Paces No. 11 Virginia vs. JMU (theacc.com; AP)

WATCH: Mamadi Diakite Has A Career Night Against James Madison | Shot Has No Chance Against Mamadi

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) Mamadi Diakite had 19 points and 13 rebounds and No. 11 Virginia used a 29-6 run spanning halftime to pull away for a 65-34 victory over James Madison on Sunday night.
The Cavaliers (2-0) led by just 22-20 until Kihei Clark's 3-pointer started a 9-0 burst for Virginia. A 3-pointer by Darius Banks ended that, making it 31-23 at the half.
Braxton Key scored seven straight for the Cavaliers. After Zach Jacobs' 3-pointer for JMU, Virginia reeled off 13 more points to lead 51-26 with just under 12 minutes to play. Key finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds and, like Diakite, spent most of the last 10 minutes watching.
Matt Lewis led James Madison (1-1) with 14 points, 11 in the first half. The Dukes shot just 24%, making 12 of 50 shots. They turned the ball over 19 times, leading to 18 Virginia points.
UP NEXT
Virginia remains at home and faces Columbia next Saturday.

Syracuse Basketball: Where is Howard Washington? (mailbag) (itlh; Esden Jr)

In our brand new weekly mailbag, we’ll be answering the top questions on Syracuse basketball. First up, where’s Howard Washington?
The 2019-20 Syracuse basketball season is here. With that being said, it’s time to start a brand new tradition here at Inside the Loud House, we’ll be doing a weekly mailbag answering all of your questions on Orange hoops.

Thank you for all the submissions and if you missed out asking a question this time, keep a lookout on social media for our inquiries next week! Enjoy!

Wayne A Wheeler: What’s going on with Howard Washington? I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do, he’s a great transition player!

Paul ‘Boy Green’ Esden:

I know a lot of fans have been wondering about this, so I’m glad we get to answer this. For those who don’t know, Howard Washington is back 100 percent healthy. He’s been through a lot in the past 18 months that featured heart surgery and a stroke.

During one of the exhibition games, Howard Washington’s mother said his lack of playing had nothing to do with his health, which she cited was no longer an issue.

From a seniority perspective, he’s been here longer than a bunch of the guys around him, so he should get first dibs right? Wrong.

Just because he’s been here the longest, that doesn’t guarantee him anything.
Right now Jalen Carey is the starting point guard, Joe Girard III got some run, another freshman Brycen Goodine got some run. Washington is lost on the depth chart and that doesn’t seem like that’s close to changing. At the end of the day, it’s a numbers game and I don’t see how he’ll see any significant playing time this season outside of injury, which is a damn shame, he’s a very good basketball player.

Neil Adler:

Junior point guard, Howard Washington is probably my favorite guy on the current Syracuse roster. He’s had a lot to deal with, including injuries, as well as suffering a stroke. Washington is an unbelievably likable young man, he’s a terrific pass-first point guard, and I could totally see him coaching one day if he doesn’t pursue a professional basketball career.

Other

Syracuse University launches $1.5 billion fundraising campaign (DO; Darnell)

Syracuse University has launched a $1.5 billion capital campaign, the largest in its history.

The Forever Orange campaign’s main goals are to increase the university’s endowment and double the number of alumni engaged with SU, said Matt Ter Molen, SU’s chief advancement officer and senior vice president.

The campaign has already raised more than $770 million and attracted 78,000 unique donors. SU set a goal to attract 125,000 unique donors.

The launch comes after SU raised more than $163 million in the 2019 fiscal year, a record-breaking year for university fundraising. SU is also preparing to celebrate its 150th anniversary in March.

“We really wanted private philanthropy as one of the key ways and knowing that we were also celebrating our 150th anniversary,” Ter Molen said. “We thought now would be the perfect time to go public with the launch of the campaign.”

The campaign will support SU’s Academic Strategic Plan, a 2015 outline of academic priorities and goals the university aims to implement throughout the coming years. Bolstering research programs, hiring more faculty and increasing financial aid are some of the ASP’s goals.

Otto the Orange made an appearance at the Forever Orange kickoff event. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

SU held an event Friday for the Forever Orange campaign, inviting donors, alumni, students and other members of the university community to a reception in the Schine Student Center. A dinner event was later held on the Quad. Both events were invite-only and closed to press.

The university hasn’t set a timeline for the campaign, but the public fundraising phase will likely last four to six years, Ter Molen said. Former Chancellor Nancy

Cantor’s campaign raised more than $1 billion from 2005 to 2012.

The university’s endowment, currently valued at about $1.3 billion, is a pool of money collected from donors that is invested in the stock market. Donors can set up endowed funds for scholarships, study abroad opportunities and faculty positions, among other things, Ter Molen said.

Growing SU’s endowment diminishes the university’s reliance on tuition and provides for a more secure financial standing. Funds for scholarships and other programs that aren’t endowed must be replenished with donations each year.