Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Bacon-Day_pixabay_1341868_1280.jpg

Welcome to Bacon Day!

According to the Bacon Day website, the day was created by Danya Goodman and Meff Leonard. They came up with the day as a way to celebrate bacon and The Simpsons. In The Simpsons episode "I Love Lisa," Homer asks, "Is it Bacon Day?" This is how the creators of the day tied the celebration of two things they love together.

So what's the story of bacon? Bacon is a popular treat cut from the meat of a pig. In the United States, bacon refers to meat from the belly of the pig, known as the pork belly. Bacon from the loin is called Canadian bacon. To make bacon, the pork is cured using salt, and is then dried, boiled, or smoked. The smoking of bacon is often done with hickory, mesquite, or maple wood, and flavors such as brown sugar or maple may be added. More often than not, bacon is pan fried, and it is popular as a breakfast food, in sandwiches like the BLT or club sandwich, as a complement to salads, and in wrapping other foods. "Bacon mania" has swept the United States and Canada since the late 1990's, where there has been a great increase in the amount of bacon being eaten, and in the amount of new bacon recipes. The high sodium and nitrate content of bacon that lower its health benefits has not seemed to much slow down the bacon craze.

SU News

SU to the ACC: The biggest local sports story of the decade (Axe) (PS; Axe)

Ready or not, the 2020s are on our doorstep.

Reflecting on the decade that was (while waiting for the arrival of the flying Delorean that the “Back to the Future” movies promised would be part of my life by now) brings to mind the enormous amount of sports news that has happened in Syracuse and Central New York since Jan. 1, 2010.

Bernie Fine. NCAA Sanctions. Jim Boeheim set to retire. Mike Hopkins leaving for Washington. Jim Boeheim no longer retiring!

Dino Babers arrived and told us to close our eyes, and his SU football team had its best season in more than a decade in 2018.

Stephen Strasburg appearances for the Syracuse Chiefs tested fire codes at NBT Bank Stadium. Speaking of the Chiefs, they became the Mets. The Syracuse Crunch made two runs at the Calder Cup and played to record crowds outside at the New York State Fairgrounds and inside at the Carrier Dome.

Make the list as long as you want about the sports moments of the 2010s, but they will all rank behind Syracuse University’s move from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference because that decision will make an impact for decades to come.

Girard_Niagara_2-678x381.jpg

Syracuse basketball tops Niagara in final non-conference tuneup - The Juice Online (the juuice; Stechschulte)

Syracuse needed less than five-and-a-half minutes to effectively end their final tune-up of the season, using a 17-2 opening salvo en route to a 71-57 victory over Niagara at the Carrier Dome Saturday night. The Orange (8-5) scored on seven of their first nine possessions to grab that 15-point lead and the Purple Eagles (2-9) were never able to work the margin down to single digits. Elijah Hughes led the way for the Orange, doing a lot of everything as he finished one assist and one rebound shy of a triple-double.

Syracuse did what they were supposed to do against the much shorter Niagara squad, winning the battle of the boards by a 46-33 margin. The Orange defense also stifled their guests, as the Purple Eagles shot 32.4 percent from the field and just 22.2 percent from beyond the arc.

It was not all rainbows and ponies for Syracuse, though, as they committed 16 turnovers in the game, including ten in the second half. A half dozen of those second half turnovers came in a field goal drought that lasted over eight minutes.

SU rolled up the first ten points of the night. Buddy Boeheim started and ended the streak with triples. Bourama Sidibe got a dunk and Marek Dolezaj added a short putback on the left baseline to fill the middle of the run. After Niagara got on the board, Elijah Hughes connected on a three-pointer from the right corner, then got a run-out for a lay-in. Sidibe tapped home a miss and Syracuse held a 17-2 lead before the game was five-and-a-half minutes old.

The two squads alternated markers for the next four minutes, then the Orange offense cooled. While SU went through a scoreless span lasting over four-and-a-half minutes, the Purple Eagles took advantage, chipping away with six straight points to draw within 26-16 with a little over seven minutes left in the first half.

Syracuse got back on track with an 8-3 run. Boeheim canned a three and Robert Braswell swished one of his own after a Niagara trey. Hughes zipped a pass from outside the arc to Sidibe by the basket for a slam dunk and a 34-19 Orange lead.

1190706142.jpg.0.jpg

ACC Roundup - Louisville Falls To Kentucky (DBR; King)

In Saturday’s ACC action, Florida State defeated North Alabama 88-71, Niagara fell to Syracuse 71-57 and Louisville lost in overtime to Kentucky, 78-70.

Chris Mack is only in his second season at Louisville but you can already draw some distinctions with predecessor Rick Pitino.

Pitino liked quick, pressing teams and was capable of striking in a heartbeat. Mack’s teams have been solid but would anyone really call them explosive? It’s a more conservative style than Pitino. The former Cards coach liked to hit hard and beat you with turnovers, breaks and three pointers.

Mack is far more conservative. He’s still successful but put it this way: Pitino’s personality would have made him a great moonshine driver. He’s always coached pedal to the metal. Mack is not like that.

Not that there’s only one style but so far, it hasn't worked against Kentucky.

And in fairness to Mack, he’s still putting his program in place. We’re not huge fans of Pack Line-based defenses but they do work and it’ll work for Louisville.

Just not against Kentucky so far. As you’d expect in a nip-and-tuck rivalry, the lead went back and forth and the game went into overtime. Kentucky took a lead into halftime and kept it for part of the second but Louisville fought back and took the game into overtime...where, basically, the Cards just failed.

Kentucky scored 17 in a five minute overtime. So much for Louisville’s vaunted defense.

Kentucky has also struggled all year to hit threes. Well not in this one.

Greg Paulus returns to central New York as head coach of Niagara basketball in loss to Syracuse | Zagsblog (zagsblog; Szuba)

Well before Niagara basketball head coach Greg Paulus took his Purple Eagles squad to Syracuse on Saturday night, the team had already given out its full allotment of tickets in the Carrier Dome. Locally, friends and family reached out to Paulus to offer support and to let him know they would be in attendance for his return to central New York.

Paulus of course played basketball at Duke for Mike Krzyzewski, but before he did, he was a highly sought after football and basketball recruit locally at CBA in Syracuse. After his four-year Duke basketball career concluded, Paulus returned to Syracuse for a one-season stint. He played football at SU as the starting quarterback for Doug Marrone.

“I was young. But I remember people telling me how great he was. I remember watching him play quarterback here so I went to a lot of games watching him play. I know how big he is around here. It’s just great having him here on the sidelines,” Buddy Boeheim said after the game.

Paulus had not been back to Syracuse in some time prior to Saturday. He had a brief exchange with Jim Boeheim before the game and when he walked into the Carrier Dome and saw familiar faces, it brought back a lot of memories from both high school and his lone football season in Orange.

“I think it was more when I walked into the arena because I saw so many family members and friends and people that I’ve known since I’ve been in middle schools and high school,” Paulus said. “I’ve come to the dome so many times in like elementary school and playing state championship games in football. Obviously the year me being the quarterback here was unbelievably special and I’ll never forget it. But I think all the memories just kind of came through as we saw more and more people.”

@NDMBB | Mike Brey Instant Reaction vs. Alabama A&M (2019) (und.com; video)

@NDMBB | Mike Brey Instant Reaction vs. Alabama A&M (2019)

Other

Q3TMWFKLSNFNRO7UFRSI7XB4PU.jpg

Man who loses fantasy football league spends day eating in CNY diner (PS; Libonati)

Bits of pancake, part of Ryan Perkins’ 10th, 11th and 12th of the day, hung on his fork. He stared at them as his belt cinched around his khakis.

Earlier mistakes in his fantasy football league put him in the Baldwinsville Diner on Thursday, eating pancakes for what was now the seventh hour. The belt and khakis were just two of his Thursday morning, post-Christmas oversights, though these were mistakes that made eating the pancakes that much more miserable.

Perkins let two quiet burps clear his airway. He, nor anyone else, wanted to see his past handiwork reappear.
“If you put it in before you burp, it might come back up,” Perkins said.

His eyes had widened and reddened with each passing hour. Perkins’ run at Baldwinsville Diner would involve two waitresses, a bottle and a half of syrup, more than 20 friends and family, 10 cups of coffee, $840 raised for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and a $169.23 bill.

This particular stack of pancakes would eventually take him 3 hours, 45 minutes and three applications of syrup to moisten and finish. Having done the math, he knew that every bite would bring him closer to a merciful end.
He exhaled, lifted the fork and chewed.

On Monday, Perkins, 29, lost his fantasy football league, The League of Mediocre Gentlemen.

On Thursday, he paid for it.

His punishment: Spend 24 hours in Baldwinsville Diner. For each pancake he ate, he could shave 30 minutes off the time. The other 13 members of the league were free to eat a pancake, wherever they were in the world. Each of those shaved 15 minutes from the time.