Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
DayoftheMashroom-blog-header.jpg

Welcome to Day of the Mushroom!

Day of the Mushroom celebrates edible mushrooms, which can be eaten plain, be stuffed, or be used in salads, soups, and sauces. Culinary mushrooms first began being cultivated in the early eighteenth century, in France. They were known as Parisian mushrooms by those outside of the country, and the English exported them to America by the end of the nineteenth century. It was mainly these white and brown Agaricus bisporus mushrooms that were cultivated and sold, none more so than cremini mushrooms. Beginning in the 1940s, many other types of mushrooms began being cultivated on a wider basis.

The following are some common varieties of mushrooms eaten today, some being cultivated and some being found in the wild:

• white button: most common edible mushroom, with 90% of mushrooms eaten in the United States being them; goes well with most ingredients; mild, but flavor intensifies when cooked.
  • cremini: also known as crimini, baby bella, and brown; similar to white button but a bit more robust of a flavor.
  • portobello: also known as portobella; really just a large cremini; can be up to six inches in diameter; meaty flavor—good veggie alternative for burgers; began gaining popularity in the 1990s.
  • shiitake: also known as black forest; frilly umbrella caps; meaty texture when cooked; woodsy flavor.
  • oyster: velvety texture; fluted caps; mild flavor.
  • enoki: also known as enokitake or enoke; originally from Japan; long stems; tiny caps; grows in clusters; high in potassium and fiber; used raw as a garnish with soups, salads, and Asian-inspired dishes.
  • morel: yellow and black varieties; wild mushroom; honeycomb crevices; nutty and earthy; commonly used in sauces.
  • truffle: most expensive mushroom; wild mushroom, but there has been some cultivation; robust flavor; sometimes infused in olive oils.
  • beech: crunchy texture; nutty flavor; usually cooked and used in stir fries.
  • maitake
  • porcini: highly sought-after wild mushroom; meaty texture.
  • chanterelle frilly; flavorful, with hints of apricot and almond.
SU News

Dolezaj spending his shut-in days eating. He’s already gained 10 pounds (PS; Ditota)

It could be worse.

Marek Dolezaj misses basketball. He misses lifting weights, putting up shots, the general push and pull of the sport he has played all his life.

But in these days of social distancing, of closed gyms and muted practice expectations, Dolezaj finds comfort in the mundane.

The Syracuse basketball forward is in Springfield, Mo., staying with his girlfriend and her family. They have adopted a dog, a 16-month-old golden retriever named Hank whose bouncy energy has kept them busy. Dolezaj’s parents are safe in his native Slovakia; his sister is safely working in Germany.

“I’m fine. I’m just missing the gyms. They’re all closed and I cannot go shoot inside or lift weights,” he said during a Zoom
conversation on Tuesday. “That’s the biggest problem. But I’m kind of enjoying this time and taking this time for having fun. I’ve never had this much time off. I’ve been home, I eat a lot, I play with the dog.”

He’s eating a lot.

alumni_photo-01.jpg

Daily Orange alumni recall their favorite Syracuse sports memories (DO; Staff)

In a world bereft of sports, many publications have shifted their focus to retrospective stories that tap into the nostalgia, the feeling of the greatest games ever.

So we turned to our alumni network to help us remember some of the most exciting times in Syracuse athletics history. The prompt: What’s your favorite SU sports memory from your college days?

Here are some former Daily Orange sports reporters, who’ve gone on to work at publications including ESPN, Sports Illustrated, USA Today and The Athletic, on events from the 1980s to today.

Kyle Austin, MLive (@kylebaustin)

A Big East tournament semifinal at Madison Square Garden between rivals Syracuse and Connecticut was exciting enough for a couple of student reporters covering their first conference tournament.

But as Jared Diamond and I took the train to New York from his family’s home in Scarsdale, New York that afternoon in 2009, we had no idea what was awaiting us.

G7CNFUG4SJFHXPQBMBEYV5ORF4.jpg

Carmelo Anthony quarantined with estranged wife La La amid coronavirus (PS; Herbert)

How is former Syracuse basketball star Carmelo Anthony getting through the coronavirus pandemic? With his family.

The NBA star’s estranged wife, La La Anthony, told Access Hollywood that she moved from New York City to Los Angeles as COVID-19 cases were rapidly growing. And now she’s following California’s stay-at-home order by quarantining at home with Melo and their 13-year-old son, Kiyan.

“I’m on the west coast. I have a bunch of my family with me. My son obviously is here. I was in New York and I just felt it was time to get out of New York. I was like, ‘This is not the place to quarantine at anymore. It’s time to go,’” La La said. “I grabbed some of my nieces, family members, Kiyan, and we came out west and we’re just quarantining now together. Melo is… yeah, he’s here somewhere. He’s even here. He’s here somewhere.”

Other

Several inches of snow expected for Southern Tier, Central New York (PS; Libonati)

For a few hours on Wednesday night, Central New York and the Southern Tier will likely see a return to winter weather.

The National Weather Service expects 2 to 3 inches of snow to fall at a rate of 1 inch or so per hour.
The snow is expected to pass through the Southern Tier between 7 and 9 p.m. and will likely hit Syracuse and Onondaga County around 10 p.m.

Drivers should expect “hazardous” travel with low visibility, the National Weather Service. The same front caused multiple car pile-ups in Chicago on Wednesday morning.

The snow fall is expected to fall below the National Weather Service’s advisory criteria, however.

Hopefully Marek can keep those pounds on and add some more and turn it into good weight. Springfield is only 2.5 hours from me. I can head over and help him keep on those pounds since I'm really good at it.

Not gonna lie, Marek - you are awesome, but I scrolled around to find the puppy! Dogs are the supreme overlords in my family.