Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
frog-jumping-day2.jpg

Welcome to Frog Jumping Day!

Frog Jumping Day is dedicated to frogs that jump, to jumping like a frog, to frog jumping contests, and Mark Twain's short story "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County," which appears to be the inspiration for the day.

The short story was originally published as "Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog," and appeared in The New York Saturday Press on November 18, 1865. It was Twain's first important work: it went on to appear in more magazines and newspapers and brought him to national attention. It was published as "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" in The Californian on December 16, 1865—it is under this title that it most frequently appears today. It has also gone by the name "The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." The story appeared in Twain's first book, The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County, and Other Sketches, a compilation of 27 short stories that had previously appeared in newspapers and magazines, that was published in 1867.

SU News

With UMBC on board, a look at the Syracuse basketball non-conference (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball will reportedly face 2018 Big Dance darling UMBC during the 2020-21 campaign, adding to the Orange’s non-conference slate.

It is by no means a guarantee that Syracuse basketball will even compete in 2020-21, given the uncertainty brought to the sports world by the novel coronavirus pandemic. However, let’s remain optimistic, shall we?

Assuming that the Orange can suit up this fall, the ‘Cuse non-conference calendar is beginning to grow – and it’s proving an interesting docket at this juncture.

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein tweeted out that Syracuse will host UMBC in the upcoming term. He didn’t provide details about date or time, but this is a fun addition to the schedule.

The Retrievers, as many of you know, shocked collegiate hoops in 2018, when UMBC became the first No. 16 seed to upset a No. 1 seed. That year, the Retrievers just so happened to stun fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member and No. 1 overall seed Virginia in the round of 64.

5eb98a34d55c8.image.jpg

Ismael Massoud’s return to Wake Forest becomes official (journalnow.com; O'Neill)

Ismael Massoud will return to the Wake Forest basketball team after entering the transfer portal upon the hiring of Coach Steve Forbes.

Massoud becomes the third player to enter the portal and remain with the Deacons, joining Jahcobi Neath and Ody Oguama. All are rising sophomores.

Massoud averaged 4.8 points and 2.0 rebounds per game last season, playing in all 31 games but averaging 12.1 minutes. He made 33 of 83 3-pointers, including clutch 3s at the end of games against Charlotte and Syracuse.

In Forbes’ offense, which figures to feature more 3-point shooting, Massoud appears to be poised for a significant increase in production.

VOTE: Favorite Former SU Assistant Coach (Football & Basketball) (localsyr.com)

VOTE: Favorite Former SU Assistant Coach (Football & Basketball)

c5ynrndw1tq0pdettswr

https://notredame./news/mike-brey-recalls-memories-of-abrupt-unforeseen-end-to-2019-20-season (; Engel)

In nearly 40 years coaching, Mike Brey still finds himself encountering firsts.

The latest ones, though, were not exactly imaginable until COVID-19 became a life-altering reality.

Speaking in an appearance on Notre Dame’s “The Fight” fundraiser Tuesday, Notre Dame’s basketball coach recalled informing his team its season was over. They were on the way to a March 12 afternoon shootaround prior to playing Virginia in the ACC Tournament, one day removed from beating Boston College in their first game of the postseason.

Axe: College athletes cashing in, Tim Tebow wasting time and do we need less sports? (mailbag) (PS; Axe)

Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies, but ask away you did, so here is a swing at questions on paying college athletes, Tim Tebow, if we need less sports in our lives, if some schools will skip out on football due to coronavirus and the quest for the Cup.

To the mailbag we go. Some questions have been edited for brevity.

Q: Brent,

I listened to your episode 71 and I loved to hear you give some air time to Track and Field and Justyn Knight. I LOVE track and field and watch as much as I can find on TV. I was a “walk-on” for 3 1/2 years on the SU Track team back in the day. I was a long jumper and triple jumper. I earned my varsity letter in 1983 by placing 6th in the Indoor Big East Championships. -David Burgess

Thanks, David! I appreciate the nice comments on our podcast chat with Justyn Knight ...oh wait, there’s more.

Other

1589368796499.jpeg

Prince’s epic 1985 Syracuse concert to stream online for coronavirus relief (PS; Herbert)

Prince’s legendary concert in Syracuse is getting a digital release for the first time to help raise money for coronavirus relief.

The Prince Estate announced Tuesday that it will stream “Prince and the Revolution Live!” across three days on YouTube starting Thursday, May 14, at 8 p.m. ET. The event is free, but viewers are encouraged to donate to the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund; Google will match donations up to $5 million.

Rolling Stone reports drummer Bobby Z will do a Q&A session one hour before the premiere.

The concert, filmed at the Carrier Dome on March 30, 1985, aired on live TV to more than 12 million viewers in Europe through Eurovision, but was long only available as a bootleg in VHS/broadcast quality. Pirated clips on YouTube were frequently taken down, but NPG Records and Warner Bros. Records released it on DVD for the first time in 2017 with audio and video restored from the original production master tape as part of a reissue of the late musician’s 1984 album “Purple Rain.”

The nearly two-hour show kicked off with “Let’s Go Crazy” and concluded with an epic 20-minute version of “Purple Rain,” featuring a face-melting 10-minute guitar solo from the Purple One. Other set list highlights included “Little Red Corvette,” “1999,” “When Doves Cry,” “Baby I’m a Star” (with Apollonia 6 and Sheila E.) and the unreleased “Possessed,” dedicated to James Brown.