Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
s-l500.jpg

Welcome to National Buy a Musical Instrument Day!

It’s Buy a Musical Instrument Day! It is unknown when the first musical instrument was invented, but historians believe that flutes made of animal bones date back 37,000 years. Today there are 6 main instrument categories – percussion, woodwinds, brass, strings, keyboard, and electronic.

Worldwide, the most played instrument is the piano, followed by the guitar and the drums. 21 million Americans play the piano – that's more than all other instruments combined! Other popular instruments include the flute, ukulele, saxophone, clarinet, trombone, and violin. Not only is playing a musical instrument fun, it can also increase abilities in other areas. Children who play a musical instrument read at more advanced levels, have larger vocabularies, and work better in teams.

SU News

Syracuse basketball will face a tougher Atlantic Coast Conference this year (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball will have more challenges from the Atlantic Coast Conference in the next campaign.

Assuming that Syracuse basketball plays a 2020-21 term, because of all the uncertainty around the novel coronavirus pandemic, it’s a huge question mark whether the Orange will improve, or regress, from a stanza ago.

The ‘Cuse wrapped up 2019-20 at a modest 18-14, although it did end on a high note when it crushed North Carolina in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament.

But with former star forward Elijah Hughes gone, and the eligibility of Illinois transfer Alan Griffin, a sophomore wing, for this fall ambiguous for now, it’s entirely possible that Syracuse will yet again struggle to stay in the Big Dance conversation.

Then again, the Orange’s core group of guys has a year of additional experience under its belt. My gut feeling is that if Griffin can compete in the coming months, the ‘Cuse could sport a record on par with 2019-20.

One thing that seems more clear is that the ACC, after a sub-par recently ended term, should prove better as a league when compared to its counterparts throughout the entire country in 2020-21.

As 2019-20 got abruptly halted due to the pandemic, the ACC only featured four squads ranked in the major polls, led by Florida State, and pundits projected the conference to only receive four or five bids to March Madness.

Which SU foes became NBA All-Star? (Mike's Mailbox) (PS; Waters)

When I receive a question for Mike’s Mailbox, I try to answer it as quickly as possible.

If I’m not going to be able to use the question either on syracuse.com or in the Post-Standard, I will often send an answer back to the reader via email.

But sometimes I hold onto a question, thinking that I can use it at a later date. Then, like a squirrel who can’t remember where he buried an acorn, I forget about it.

That is the case with this week’s leadoff question. I loved it, saved it and then completely forgot about it. Until ESPN aired The Last Dance documentary about Michael Jordan’s final season with the Chicago Bulls. And then I remembered the question. I actually found it in my files, too.

So if I haven’t answered one of your questions, there’s hope for you yet.

If you’ve got a question for Mike’s Mailbox, email me at mwaters@syracuse.com or find me on Twitter at @MikeWatersSYR.

Q: How many players that have played against Syracuse in the Carrier Dome have gone on to become NBA All-Stars?

Scott R.

Mike: I should apologize to Scott for not getting to his question sooner. He emailed it to me at least a year ago.

Michael Jordan and the North Carolina Tar Heels came to the Carrier Dome to play Syracuse in the 1983-84 season. He is one of many future NBA All-Stars who played against Syracuse in the Dome over the years.

In no way is this to be considered a complete list, but it’s a pretty good roster of college players who went onto become NBA All-Stars.

Former Fizz: Kevin Fitzgerald (SU 2010-2014) – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; May)

Former Fizz is a new interview series where we talk with previous Orange Fizz staff writers about Syracuse sports from when they were on campus. Topics include specific players and games, special memories and of course Jim Boeheim throughout the years. You can listen to all of the episodes on the Orange Fizz SoundCloud or orangefizz.net.

On the second episode, Kevin Fitzgerald is the special guest. Kevin is currently a play-by-play broadcaster for ESPN and was a student at Syracuse University from 2010-2014. He remembers the shift from the Big East to the ACC, as well as the change from Doug Marrone to Scott Shafer. The interview is below, followed by an abbreviated Q&A from the discussion. We hope you enjoy!

QUESTION: What was it like going from the Big East to the ACC?

ANSWER: That story dominated the Syracuse media for months and it was in the middle of a lot of conference realignment. Some people questioned if the ACC was the best conference for Syracuse in terms of basketball, but it has proven to be a great decision based on competition levels.

QUESTION: What was it like when Syracuse basketball rattled off 20 straight wins and had such sustained success in 2011-12?

ANSWER: That 2011-12 team was probably the best Syracuse team in that era. From ‘09 to ‘16 was probably the winningest era for Syracuse basketball.

MBB: Top 25 NBA/ACC alumni as of 2020 (RX; HM)

MBB: Top 25 NBA/ACC alumni as of 2020

The All-Time top 25 NBA players from a current ACC School

Here are the top 5:

1) Michael Jordan – North Carolina G
5× NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
14× NBA All-Star (1985–1993, 1996–1998, 2002, 2003)

2) Tim Duncan – Wake Forest F, C
2× NBA Most Valuable Player (2002, 2003)
15× NBA All-Star (1998, 2000–2011, 2013, 2015)

3) Chris Paul – Wake Forest G
10× NBA All-Star (2008–2016, 2020)

4) Rick Barry – Miami F
8× NBA All-Star (1966, 1967, 1973–1978)

5) Carmelo Anthony – Syracuse F
10× NBA All-Star (2007, 2008, 2010–2017)

Other

UJXXAJKTFJCEXB6IZEUXJSJGXI.jpg

Behind closed doors, 9 Cuomo appointees decide the fate of CNY’s reopening (PS; Baker)

Every day, a group of nine local leaders meets online to talk about which businesses should be allowed to reopen, how they should do it, and when.

They’re making critical decisions that will impact the lives and livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people. And they’re doing it behind closed doors.

The Central New York Regional Control Group has been tasked with shaping the state’s rules for reopening the shuttered economy. Its members — most of whom are elected officials — have not responded to multiple requests by syracuse.com for access to their meetings or, at the very least, minutes summarizing the decisions being weighed and made.

The CNY group met for the first time on Saturday, May 9, to discuss its role and take care of organizational business. Gov. Andrew Cuomo publicly announced the group and its counterparts in nine other regions across the state that Monday, May 11. The group has met daily since then.

Cuomo described the regional control groups as the first step in shifting power back to the local level during the restart. The group is tasked with monitoring the area’s coronavirus cases and testing rates and shaping policies for reopening segments of the economy.

“This is going to be a shift,” Cuomo said at the time. “This reopening phase is locally driven, regionally driven and regionally designed.”

This week, for example, the group hammered out a plan that would let churches gradually reopen before phase four. They’re offering that plan to the state, arguing local churches can reopen ahead of the state’s timeline.

Last edited:
You knew 'Melo had to be in the top 5 all-time, right?

FWIW, the OP also picked David Bing as #10, but those are the only 2 Orange players in the top 25.