Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
978633-onion-rings.webp

Welcome to National Onion Rings Day!

The origin of the onion rings is actually somewhat mysterious, but we do know that in 1802 a recipe was published in ”The Art of Cookery Made Easy and Refined.” This recipe describes a process of dipping ½” onion rings dipped into a rather flavorful mixture of flour with creams and cheeses and then boiling them in a vat of lard. Following on the heels of this was a suggestion to serve it with a sauce made of a mixture of mustard and butter.

SU News

Who could Syracuse face in the 2020 ACC-Big Ten Challenge? (PS; Waters)

The matchups for the annual ACC-Big Ten Challenge usually come out in late May or early June. Last year, the 2019 games were revealed on June 6.

Whether it is due to the coronavirus pandemic or other reasons, the slate of games for the 2020 ACC-Big Ten Challenge has yet to be released.

The ACC-Big Ten Challenge features 14 games between teams in the two conferences over the course of three or four days in late November or early December.

Since joining the ACC, Syracuse is 3-4 in the annual event. The Orange has beaten Indiana and Maryland, both in games at the Carrier Dome, and also won at Ohio State. Syracuse’s losses have come against Wisconsin twice, Michigan once and a home loss to Iowa last season.

Provided there is a college basketball season next winter, and also provided that the season starts on time, who could be Syracuse’s opponent in the 2020 event?
Rutgers

Syracuse vs. Rutgers

Syracuse's Darryl Watkins guards Rutgers center Dan Waterstradt in the second half of a game at the Rutgers Athletic Center in Piscataway, N.J.

The Scarlet Knights have played on the road in the Challenge in each of the last two years, so they are almost assured of a home game this time.

Syracuse and Rutgers were both in the Big East Conference from 1995 to 2013, but the rivalry between the two schools goes back much further. In the mid-1970s, the two teams were considered the best programs in the East. Syracuse went to the 1975 Final Four and Rutgers went to the Final Four the very next season.

The two haven’t played since 2013 when Syracuse went to the ACC and Rutgers went to the American Athletic Conference before leaving that league after one year to join the Big Ten.

Outlook: This one makes the most sense. It’s a geographical no-brainer. Plus Rutgers is coming off a 20-11 season, which was not only the Scarlet Knights’ first winning record in 13 years, but also had them on track for an NCAA tournament bid for the first time since 1991.

Syracuse Basketball: Fathers, sons and daughters – bleeding Orange (itlh; Adler)

On Father’s Day, Syracuse basketball is a poignant topic for Dads, their sons and their daughters.

Syracuse basketball is one of my biggest passions, and I’m not alone in this regard. My son Kethan, who turns four in a few weeks, and my Dad – along with the rest of my family – root on the Orange, but they do so at a less fanatical pace.

Kethan loves to talk about his favorite color, blue, and when I ask him what Daddy’s favorite color is, he always says orange. And when I ask him why, sometimes he’ll retort, “Syracuse.” He doesn’t always pronounce my alma mater correctly, but hearing the word “Syracuse” makes me smile.

Even in just his first few years, Kethan and I have had many fond memories of watching ‘Cuse hoops together, even though he has no clue what it’s all about – for now.

I’ve dressed him up in Orange gear (I’m always rocking Syracuse, duh), and we’ll put the games on in the background, while we play with cars or other toys. My Dad and Mom – his Nana and Poppa – are often with us. Whether the ‘Cuse wins or loses is irrelevant. All of us being together is priceless.

Kethan has heard me rant and rave about Jim Boeheim, the national title in 2003, those five Final Fours, the 2-3 zone (what’s that, Daddy?), and so much more as it relates to Syracuse basketball. One day, when he’s older, he’ll start to realize how much the Orange means to me.

My Dad is certainly a ‘Cuse cheerleader. We’ve watched many SU battles together, including in-person when Syracuse beat Marquette in the 2013 Elite Eight in our nation’s capital to reach the national semi-finals.

ACC Basketball: Top 10 Performances of the 2019-20 Season (scacchoops.com; Webmaster)

ACC Basketball once again provided basketball fans everywhere with entertaining games and amazing performances all season long. From big men dominating the paint, to point guards taking over intense rivalry games, and a record high in rejections for the reigning champs, this season truly had it all. Take a look at this list of top 10 individual performances on ACC basketball courts during the 2019-20 season right here.

Half of Duke Basketball Team Makes ACC Honor Roll (AI; Krest)

Duke had seven players on the men’s basketball team selected for the ACC Honor Roll.

The Blue Devils set a league record with 572 honor roll selections. That included half of Duke’s 14-man basketball roster.

The ACC Honor Roll is comprised of student-athletes who participated in a varsity-level sport and registered a grade point average of 3.0 or better for the full academic year.

Every men’s and women’s sports team at Duke had at least half of the players on its roster make honor roll.

Duke basketball tied for seventh in the ACC for honor roll players, although many of the teams in the conference had more players on the roster than Duke’s 14.

Virginia Tech – 13
Clemson – 11
Virginia – 10
Pitt – 10
Miami – 9
Louisville – 8
Duke – 7
Florida State – 7
Notre Dame – 7
Syracuse – 7
Wake Forest – 7
Georgia Tech – 4
North Carolina – 3
NC State – 3
Boston College – 2

Former Fizz: Dave Van Moffaert (SU 2009-2012) – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; podcast)

QUESTION: What was it like being a student during such a great stretch for Syracuse Basketball?

ANSWER: It was the golden age for Syracuse Basketball when you look back on it. In the tournament, they were a number one seed twice and a three seed the other year. When I first got there, they weren’t supposed to be great, but Wesley Johnson came in and was a superstar. The deepest team was my senior year of 2011-2012.

QUESTION: What were your thoughts on Big East basketball and how Syracuse left it for the ACC?

ANSWER: I grew up as a UCONN fan, so I watched Big East basketball all the time. There were so many good teams and there was so much history. So when Syracuse switched over, the Big East kind of fell apart. Plus, the ACC doesn’t have as much hatred and rivalry.

QUESTION: What team from the old Big East do you hate the most?

ANSWER: The answer most Syracuse fans say is Georgetown, but the way I grew up I just didn’t like Villanova. I don’t know why, but I have never liked them.

ACCN FB/MBB programming - 6/20 to 6/25 (RX; HM)

ACCN FB/MBB programming - 6/20 to 6/25

More classic ACC football and basketball games on the ACC Network this weekend and next week...

Color code legend
footballbasketballstudio shows

ACC Network
Saturday, 6/20/2020
12:00 AMUpon Further Review:1995 Florida State vs. Virginia Football
A unique perspective on an ACC classic, Upon Further Review shares a closer look at the sights, sounds and historic moments of the Florida State at Virginia football game through the lens of Danny Kanell, Mark Richt and others. Once a strong rivalry in the conference, step back in time to relive one of league’s greatest games with familiar faces.
2:00 AM1998: BIG EAST Conference FootballVirginia at Virginia Tech
4:30 AMThe Bowden DynastyLegendary Florida State Football Coach
The Bowden Dynasty extends beyond football, to explore universal themes of family and redemption to which all audiences can relate. Coach Bowden is legendary for his unyielding faith and “The Bowden Dynasty” examines how he inspired acts of courage and grace while changing the lives of those around him.
6:30 AM2007: ESPN College Football PrimetimePittsburgh at West Virginia
8:30 AM2002: ABC's Afternoon College FootballFlorida State at Miami
Thanks to yet another missed field goal by a Florida State kicker in the final seconds, No. 1 Miami hung on for a 28-27 victory over the ninth-ranked Seminoles.

It has been reported that Duke players take some classes at the local CC - I wonder how much those classes contributed to Duke's honor roll.