Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
it-s-national-happy-hour-day-.jpg
Welcome to Happy Hour Day!

Happy Hour Day celebrates the time at bars and restaurants when alcoholic drinks are served at discounted prices. Happy hours usually take place for a period of time in the late afternoon—usually for more than an hour, and often between the hours of 4PM and 7PM. Happy hours typically occur on Monday through Thursday, and sometimes on Friday. Besides drink specials, many times free snacks or other discounted menu items are available. In 1913 the crew of the USS Arkansas began using the term "happy hour" to refer to scheduled entertainment on their ship, and by the end of World War I, "happy hours" were taking place throughout the Navy. During prohibition, drinking became popular before dinner, as diners imbibed at speakeasies before going to restaurants for their meal, where alcohol could not be served. Terms like "cocktail hours" and "happy hours" were given to these pre-dinner drinking events. After prohibition, cocktail lounges were popular spots for drinks before having dinner. A 1959 article in the Saturday Evening Post referred to "happy hour" as a time when servicemen had afternoon drinks in bars. It was shortly after this when the term started being more widely used by civilians throughout the United States. Various states have regulated or restricted happy hours, or even banned them.

SU News

How will NCAA’s extra year of eligibility impact Syracuse recruiting? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; Waters)

The NCAA’s rules and regulations are hard to figure out sometimes. Wait. Make that almost all the time.

So perhaps that’s why I have received a bunch of questions about the NCAA’s recent decision to grant winter sport athletes an extra year of eligibility. The NCAA made the move to take away some of the athletes' concerns about playing part of the season and then having the coronavirus cancel or reduce the rest of the season.

Remember, last year’s seniors were out of luck when the NCAA had to cancel the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

So I have two NCAA-related questions at the top of this week’s Mike’s Mailbox.

Let’s get to those questions.

Q: With the NCAA giving players an extra year of eligibility because of the coronavirus, the one thing I haven’t heard about is all the high school seniors coming out who won’t get a chance because players are getting an extra year.

Then a new crop of recruits come in the following year and a lot of players who would normally get a shot or could be skipped over.

Kevin M.

Bulls Set Dec. 19 Affair At Syracuse - University at Buffalo (ubbulls.com)

The University at Buffalo and Syracuse University announced on Wednesday that their men's basketball teams will meet on the hardwood on Dec. 19 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. This will be the third time in the last four years that the Bulls and Orange will meet.

In the most recent meeting, which was played on Dec. 18, 2018, the Bulls went into Syracuse and scored a 71-59 win over the Orange. A year earlier, Syracuse defeated the Bulls, 81-74.

Overall, Syracuse leads the all-time series with the Bulls, 28-6.

The game against the Orange adds to an already challenging non-conference schedule that includes games against Iona and Vermont inside Bubbleville at Mohegan Sun and a non-conference tilt at West Virginia on Dec. 29.

Benny Williams Signs with Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Benny Williams is officially Orange. The class of 2021 6-8 wing prospect signed with Syracuse on Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period. The news was first reported by Jake Weingarten of Stock Risers. He is the lone class of 2021 prospect committed to the Orange, and therefore only one expected to sign. Williams was a huge get for Syracuse, as his stock skyrocketed last spring.

Syracuse got in early on his recruitment, and were able to earn a commitment in June.

"I just feel like I'm the typical Syracuse big guard," Williams said. "When you look at all the players they've had, CJ Fair, Melo. I'm pretty sure if I keep working I can develop into one of those players. And I loved the atmosphere when I went to the game versus North Carolina. Everybody's just cool there. All the coaches and the players. I just felt at home there."

Williams was recently the Recruit of the Week on AllSyracuse.com. He said he was very excited to sign and make everything official.

Where Syracuse basketball turns without Dior Johnson, Roddy Gayle Jr. (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is still targeting a boatload of promising 2022 prospects.

It’s proven somewhat of tough week for Syracuse basketball recruiting, as 2022 five-star point guard Dior Johnson has de-committed from the Orange, and Ohio State is getting a ton of buzz for Roddy Gayle Jr., a 2022 four-star shooting guard who has the ‘Cuse in his top six and plans to announce this Friday, Nov. 13.

Ever since Johnson announced his decision on Tuesday night, some Syracuse basketball fans have opined that his move may open up the door for Orange coaches to steer Gayle to the Hill. The Buckeyes, though, continue to receive 100 percent of the analyst predictions on the 247Sports Web site and for Gayle.

So with Johnson out of the picture and assuming Gayle heads elsewhere, this is frustrating a contingent of ‘Cuse fans who fear that Orange recruiting isn’t on an upward trajectory like we all had hoped.

Giglio: ACC basketball schedules favor a Duke run, UNC bounce back :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Giglio)

The ACC regular-season race always comes down to who you don’t play, rather than who you do.

Even with a 20-game schedule giving us more home-and-home matchups, there are still holes in the schedules that end up working out in a team’s favor.

For which teams? Well, in most seasons, you can figure some of it out by who’s back, who are the star recruits and, the old standby, how good is your coach.

In this season, which some teams will start without fans and COVID-19 cases could disrupt, who knows how it will shake out.

Other

4OOZBV4QWVEG7BAW6EVRQOUBDA.JPG

CNY restaurants react to new coronavirus limits: It’s a ‘messy situation’ (PS; Cazentre)

It could have been worse: Restaurants in parts of Onondaga County are suddenly faced with new coronavirus restrictions, requiring them to seat no more than four people at a table and close no later than midnight.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo today declared the city of Syracuse, the villages of Solvay and East Syracuse, and the towns of Salina, Clay and Lysander to be in a “yellow zone” due to rising coronavirus cases.

The restrictions, which take effect Wednesday and will last at least two weeks, are less severe than if Cuomo had placed the areas in orange or red zones. That could have imposed additional regulations on restaurants like outdoor dining/takeout only (orange zone) or takeout only (red zone.)

But it’s also hard to predict how long this phase will last.

“This is going to have an effect, no doubt about it,” said John Tassone, owner of Tassone’s Wine Garden in Baldwinsville. “I’m just glad we’re not in an orange or red zone.”

The restrictions on the size of the parties at each table, which had been ten before the new order, will require Tassone and other restaurant operators to make a lot of phone calls in the next few days.

“We’re now looking at calling bookings of six people or eight people and telling them they have to split up,” Tassone said. “And then it’s a puzzle because we’re not going to be able to know what we can take in reservations until we get it sorted out.”