Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
prepare-your-bar-for-blackout-main2.jpg
Welcome to Blackout Wednesday!

Blackout Wednesday (also known as Black Wednesday, Drinksgiving, Thanksgiving Eve, Wacky Wednesday, Whiskey Wednesday, Deathlord Wednesday, Wednesday, Awkward Wednesday, or Big Wednesday) is a term for the night before the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States. It is associated with binge drinking since very few people work on Thanksgiving, and most university students are home to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday with their families,[1] which means that high school friends have an opportunity to catch up at the local tavern as they converge on their hometown.[2] The name refers to "blacking out", memory loss due to excessive alcohol intoxication. In suburbs of Chicago particular, Blackout Wednesday is sometimes a more popular partying night than even New Year's Eve or Saint Patrick's Day.[1] In some cities, it is the worst drunk driving night of the year.[3] Police departments increase patrols checking for drunk driving in many jurisdictions including in Indiana[4] and Minnesota.[5] MADD reports that the Thanksgiving holiday produces more people killed in drunk driving crashes than the Christmas holiday.[6]

SU News

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse hoops legend John Wallace joins the show for part two of his conversation. He discusses his legacy with SU that ultimately led to getting his number retired. The guys also run their idea for an Old Big East Reunion preseason tournament by Wallace. Plus, he gets into his acting career and how he ended up working with Spike Lee and Denzel Washington in "He Got Game."

Tyler Aki and Tim Leonard discuss it all with John Wallace on the Wednesday Edition of the Locked on Syracuse Podcast. Miss part one? Find it on our podcast feed wherever you get your podcasts.

Don't forget to subscribe and follow the show on Twitter @LO_Syracuse and follow the guys @Tim_Leonard4 and @TylerAki_.

IMG_0108-1-678x381.jpg

Season Predictions — 2020-21 Syracuse basketball preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Four starters return and the fifth starter, Alan Griffin, comes in with almost 750 minutes of playing time for Illinois of the Big Ten under his belt. None of those five should be taken aback from playing under the bright lights. A healthy Quincy Guerrier should provide greater impact on the boards and in the scoring column and a healthy Robert Braswell could provide another option behind Griffin. Jesse Edwards and Frank Anselem should make each other better in the fight for bench minutes at center and Kadary Richmond should provide another perimeter option.

But, as it always does under Jim Boeheim, everything centers around how good the 2-3 zone will be. Last season saw opponents release a too frequent barrage of open threes and collect offensive rebounds. Syracuse opponents shot the third-highest three-point rate in the country and secured 32.2 percent of all potential offensive rebounds, the 20th-highest mark in Division I. And that leads to lots of questions about the returning players.

Schedule analysis — 2020-21 Syracuse basketball preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

The Orange get a slightly better start during the second year of the 20-game ACC conference schedule. Instead of opening against Virginia, who were the defending national champs, Syracuse gets to play a game that counts before jumping into the deep end of ACC play.

Four ACC teams appeared in the pre-season poll, led by #4 Virginia. Duke and North Carolina start off ranked #9 and #16, respectively, while Florida State is slotted at #21 in the nation. The fifth conference team picked in front of SU on the preseason conference media poll, Louisville, also garnered votes in the pre-season AP poll. The Orange will face off with Virginia and Duke once each on the road and match up with the Tar Heels and Cardinals in home-and-home sets.

All told, Syracuse has a pretty average schedule in conference play with seven games against the five teams in front of them and the remaining 13 against the nine teams behind them. SU’s success against the teams predicted to finish near them in slots 7-10 (Miami, N.C. State, Georgia Tech, Clemson) will likely determine their finish and how exactly they appear in relation to the NCAA Tournament bubble. Those six games (hosting Miami, at Georgia Tech, and home-and-home sets with N.C. State and Clemson) are probably more important than any others on their schedule.

What to expect from Syracuse with its season opener looming (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)

There’s hardly any question Syracuse will score this season. But will it defend? Syracuse let opponents shoot 66 percent at the rim last season, per Synergy, and surrendered its fair share of transition 3-pointers: Opponents shot nearly 50 percent from deep in transition. All told the Orange graded out as one of the worst transition defense teams in the country per Hoopmath.com. “A lot of people scored 20 points on us last year,” associate head coach Adrian Autry says. “We have to be much better defensively.”

But that was last year. On the cusp of the 2020-21 season opener, Syracuse has an opportunity to start fresh and defend at a higher level. The Orange hope to prioritize defense, upgrade their so-so interior protection and build on its respectable perimeter D. We could see our first indication of any potential progress on Friday afternoon against Bryant, although as of Monday evening, the Orange were still on pause from workouts. Coach Jim Boeheim is hopeful the Orange play on Friday, but a source close to the situation expects the team to not practice until Thursday.

Syracuse Basketball: A bunch of bold predictions for the Orange in 2020-21 (itlh; Adler)

Let’s take some bold stances on what will transpire for Syracuse basketball this season.

I’ve already given my take on how Syracuse basketball will fare in 2020-21, as far as the Orange’s overall record in the upcoming campaign, its projected finish in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and the team’s performance in the post-season.

Now, it’s time for some bold takes pertaining to the ‘Cuse in 2020-21. Some of these are probably a bit more of a stretch than others, but the point here is to spark up some debate. As always, please let me know where I got things right, and where I totally goofed up!

Sophomore point guard Joe Girard III will finish within the top five of the ACC in assists per game, as he displays stronger court vision and assumes a huge leadership role for the Orange.

The ‘Cuse defense, fairly sub-par a stanza ago, will vastly improve, allowing five points fewer per game as compared to 2019-20.

Syracuse basketball will lose to Duke, Virginia, Florida State and North Carolina – but each defeat will come by fewer than 10 points.

Amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, the Orange will have some games canceled, but it will amount to fewer than three total regular-season contests.

The ‘Cuse will outrebound its foes in at least 40 percent of the Orange’s encounters.

Axe: SU basketball’s expectations are just right (PS; Axe)

Syracuse University basketball fans will have to wait until Friday afternoon to see the Orange tip it up against Bryant at the Carrier Dome, but rejoice in the news that the 2020-21 college basketball season begins in full Wednesday.

The threat of COVID-19 was in its infancy when the college basketball season was shuttered back in March, just a week shy of an NCAA Tournament that never got to tip it up.

With a new season underway eight months later, COVID-19 still surrounds the sport with a full court press.

Other

LBCJ7GCSJBEPBC2CIANUI6H5SM.JPG

Apex Entertainment closes indefinitely at Destiny USA after three fines (PS; Breidenbach)

Apex Entertainment has indefinitely closed its Destiny USA bowling alley, virtual reality, laser tag and arcade center on the third floor of Destiny USA. But it’s not because it’s in an orange zone.

The owners decided to shut down last week after Onondaga County officials issued three $1,000 fines over three consecutive days for Covid compliance violations.

The company believes it was unfairly targeted by county representatives who refused to identify themselves or listen to explanations, said Rob Luzzi, company spokesman.

So Niagara is the 6th OOC game for SU this year. The linked newspaper article says it completes the OOC schedule for this year.

This makes me a little confused.

I thought the NCAA changed things for this year so the maximum games that could be played in the regular season is 25 if a program does not play in an MTE, or 27 if a program does play in an MTE.

How can Syracuse play 26 regular season games without playing in an MTE? Are the games against Niagara and Rider considered an MTE even though their schedules say they aren’t playing each other this year?

Looking at other schools in the ACC, ND is also playing 6 games OOC. They had a 7th against Tennessee but the Vols had to cancel due to COVID. I don’t see an MTE scheduled but maybe Tennessee was part of one and it got wrecked when they pulled out.

I am wondering if SU had an MTE put together, and a team cancelled out before it was announced, leaving them with 6 OOC games scheduled and no MTE. Maybe they went to the NCAA and got permission to run with 26 given the circumstances? Maybe ND did the same thing?

Here is what other ACC schools are doing with their OOC schedules:
BC is playing in a 4 game MTE at Mohegan now. They also play 3 other OOC games for 27 total..

Pitt only has 4 OOC games scheduled to date.

UL has a 2 game MTE to open the season and 7 OOC games scheduled. UVa has the same setup. NC State, GT and Clemson as well.

VT has a 2 game MTE scheduled for late November and 7 OOC games scheduled.
UNC has a 2 game MTE in early December and 7 OOC games scheduled. Same thing with Duke.

Miami does not appear to be playing in an MTE and has 5 OOC games scheduled. The same with FSU.

Wake starts the season with a 2 game MTE but only has 5 OOC games scheduled.

So Niagara is the 6th OOC game for SU this year. The linked newspaper article says it completes the OOC schedule for this year.

I thought the NCAA changed things for this year so the maximum games that could be played in the regular season is 25 if a program does not play in an MTE, or 27 if a program does play in an MTE.

How can Syracuse play 26 regular season games without playing in an MTE? Are the games against Niagara and Rider considered an MTE even though their schedules say they aren’t playing each other this year?

Looking at other schools in the ACC, ND is also playing 6 games OOC. They had a 7th against Tennessee but the Vols had to cancel due to COVID. I don’t see an MTE scheduled but maybe Tennessee was part of one and it got wrecked when they pulled out.

I am wondering if SU had an MTE put together, and a team cancelled out before it was announced, leaving them with 6 OOC games scheduled and no MTE. Maybe they went to the NCAA and got permission to run with 26 given the circumstances? Maybe ND did the same thing?

BC is playing in a 4 game MTE at Mohegan now. They also play 3 other OOC games for 27 total..

UL has a 2 game MTE to open the season and 7 OOC games scheduled. UVa has the same setup. NC State, GT and Clemson as well.

UNC has a 2 game MTE in early December and 7 OOC games scheduled. Same thing with Duke.

Miami does not appear to be playing in an MTE and has 5 OOC games scheduled. The same with FSU.

I think SU mentioned because of a school having an issue they were granted a 26th game.