Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Flannel Day!

With winter still going strong, a day dedicated to a type of warm, sturdy clothing is well welcomed. Flannel is made of a fine, smooth yarn called worsted yarn. The yarn is napped on one or both sides. Napping is a finishing process where the fiber ends are brought to the surface, making the fabric softer and warmer.

The words "flannel" and "plaid" are often used interchangeably, but they are referring to different things. Flannel is a material or fabric, not a pattern. In contrast, plaid is a pattern. It originated with tartans many centuries ago. Many plaid shirts today are made of synthetic fabrics and lighter cotton instead of flannel, although many plaid flannel garments are still made.

Flannel was first made in Wales, in the sixteenth or seventeenth century. It was made to replace wool, as it was warmer and sturdier. Since its creation, flannel has been a mainstay of workwear, and it has been important to fashion at certain times throughout history as well. Throughout the years, its warmth, comfort, and versatility have kept it popular.

SU News

Kevin Keatts following Wolfpack's second loss to Syracuse (247sports.com; Sawyer)

First of all, I wanted to talk about something non-basketball on the court tonight related. I want to thank all of you guys that sent texts and prayers for Devon [Daniels] and his surgery. Just to give you a little follow up, I released a statement about it, but everything went well. Doc felt like everything was exactly what he thought when he got in there. We expect a full recovery from him. Keep praying for him. It’s very frustrating for him. When you look at a guy who, I don’t know if I’ve been around another guy who is as passionate about getting into the gym and working out as he is. So, continue with the prayers for him, and I appreciate all you guys have done with that.

As far as the game, obviously the game speaks for itself. What’s a little frustrating is that we turned the ball over 20 times, which is really not characteristic of us. I know we’ve had a few issues this year turning the ball over, but that wasn’t a good night in that area. Also, I thought the two things that really beat us tonight was that we gave up 14 offensive rebounds.

If you look at it, typically when you pick up a stat sheet we typically have more shot attempts than the other team because we force guys into turnovers and because of our ability to get offensive rebounds. They got 15 more shots than we did. They got 60 and we got 45 because of the turnovers and also because of the offensive rebounds.

Turnovers are bad by themselves, but the issue is we turned them over for touchdowns, and they were able to score and not have to play against a set defense. I thought our effort was there. Our guys were playing hard. It was one of those games where it’s going to be hard to beat a good team, I don’t care where you play them at, with that many turnovers and offensive rebounds.

A lot of that with the rebounds came in the second half. I thought in the first half we turned it over, I think we had 13 turnovers in the first half and then seven in the second. It just wasn’t good enough. We’ve got to get better in that area. We’ve got to value the basketball. I wish I could point to one or two guys and say ‘man, you’ve got to get better with ball security.’ But when you look at it, you see four, four, three, two, two, three and two. That’s just not good enough for our team. We’ve got to get better in that area.

On if the team looked indecisive

I think the biggest thing was that we tried to hit the same play every time, instead of mixing it up. When you look at the first game, we were good. We would hit an interior bounce pass to Manny for a dunk. We would hit the guy that was sprinting to the corner. We would make a skip pass.

When we got the ball in areas, we tried to hit the same play every time. For example, Manny catches it in the short corner in the first play of the game and he skips it, and we skip it for one more. It was a good shot. But, he tried the same play every time. With the zone, the zone puts you in spots where you’ve got to be able to make plays from the short corner and in the middle.

In this game, you almost have to invert. What happens is that your bigs become your point guards because of the fact that they give you, if you can get it to the middle or the short corner. The other thing about it is that this is where we miss having a big guard. When you look out there their size is a problem because we’ve got two guys right around 6-foot at the guard spots right now. That’s a tough deal. You have to have those guys on the floor because those are your guys who can make shots. Those are the guys that can shoot the 3.

Zoned out. NC State falls to Syracuse :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Giglio)

Careless with the ball and loose on defense, NC State lost for the second time in 10 days to Syracuse.

The Orange got a game-high 22 points from guard Alan Griffin, and 20 turnovers from NC State, in a 77-68 road win over the Wolfpack on Tuesday night.

NC State (8-8, 4-7 ACC) turned the ball over 13 times in the first half, not so much as a result of pressure from Syracuse’s patented zone, but from being careless in passing the ball.

"The game speaks for itself," NC State coach Kevin Keatts said. "It was one of those games where it’s going to be hard to beat a good team with that many turnovers."

The Orange (11-6, 5-5 ACC), trying to keep its dwindling NCAA tournament hopes alive, relied on the scoring from Griffin, who led them a 76-73 home win over the Wolfpack on Jan. 31.

Keatts also noted the Orange helped themselves with 14 offensive rebounds and 15 second-chance points.

NC State had only 11 turnovers in that first loss to the Orange. Guard Thomas Allen, who led the Wolfpack 17 points, said Syracuse didn't do anything differently on the defensive end.

"It was the same way, we were just careless with the ball tonight," Allen said.

NC State scores 68 points in basketball game where Syracuse scores 77, which is not what you want (backingthepack.com; Lower)

Syracuse completed its sweep of NC State on Tuesday night, getting past the Pack 77-68. After three straight years of a win over Syracuse bolstering NC State’s tournament resume, this year the Orange may have squeezed out State’s last hopes. See it was like a joke about like squeezing an orange and whatnot? Cuz they’re the Orange. Okay.

In the first half of the first meeting, State was nearly flawless offensively. The three halves that followed were a pretty big pile of garbage. The Pack had a season-high on Tuesday for turnovers, amassing 20, 13 of which came in the first half. This is particularly disappointing because NC State actually shot the ball well in this game. The Pack was 42% from beyond the arc, up from 27% in the first meeting, and got a nice boost from Thomas Allen, who knocked down four threes.

It was a much more consistent shooting effort than the first game, and it meant absolutely nothing. There was just no way State was overcoming the flood of turnovers and inability to generate a stop. Syracuse’s Alan Griffin and Buddy Boeheim, both of which tore State up in the first matchup, picked up where they left off. The duo combined to shoot 15-29 and score 38 points. It was open season for the Orange’s scorers.

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2021/02/09/nc-state-fans-beginning-to-question-kevin-keatts/ (ASD; Fann)

After NC State went down in a lackluster 77-68 home loss to Syracuse, the Wolfpack dropped to 8-8 (4-7). Any realistic chance at the NCAA tournament were put to rest, as NC State will go without a NCAA tournament victory for the 4th straight year. Last year doesn’t count as a true miss, but NC State was 20-10 (10-10) and was likely not going to make the NCAA tournament without another win or two in the ACC tournament.

Certainly NC State fans haven’t given up on Keatts ala Boston College fans and Jim Christian. A missed NCAA tournament won’t have him draw the ire of the fanbases the same way if Georgia Tech misses the NCAA tournament yet again under Josh Pastner. It is evident though, NC State fans are getting beginning to question Kevin Keatts as the long term answer.

As much as I like Coach Keatts, I’m curious as to how much longer State will stick with him. State just hasn’t performed as we’d hoped
— John Quiggle (@jquiggle) February 10, 2021

COVID definitely probably gets Keatts another year, but a bad season in year 5?

Pretty clear Gottfried was a better in game coach at this point. Just letting Boeheim back down Beverly & Allen from the 3-line with no adjustments was utterly ridiculous.
— Tucker Blankinship (@TuckerBlanc) February 10, 2021

Yikes Gottfried was never known as a brilliant in-game coach.

Yes head to Kevin Keatts house pic.twitter.com/FddCkdZ8b9
— Greg Clemmons (@gclemm77) February 10, 2021

Some Pack fans are ready for U-Haul. That’s seems a bit much at this point, but clearly there is frustration that is starting to simmer.

How ACC basketball coaches try to critique and push players while keeping spirits up in a tough season (journalnow,.com; Joyce)

Steve Forbes tries to be as positive as possible when it comes to his players.
But the Wake Forest men’s basketball coach didn’t have much room for that, with the Deacons fresh off a 21-point loss to Notre Dame on Feb. 2. The moment had arrived to make a needed point — that too many individuals focus on scoring and not enough on standing out in other aspects of the game — and he said so both in the locker room and his postgame news conference.

With eight days between that game and the team’s next, Forbes said, the Deacons used the time to get some substantial practice work after playing 10 games in just under a month.

“I think the questions have been answered,” Forbes said this week. “You send a message and move on. You don’t live in the past. The players totally understood what I was talking about. We move on and we try not to do it again.”

Forbes saw that opportunity to provide critical feedback in the hopes of spurring improvement ahead of Wake Forest’s next game on Wednesday night at Boston College. But picking those moments have become much more difficult in a season where disappointment can come from much more than just on-court performance for their players.

More than a few ACC coaches stressed the importance of maintaining the mental health of their athletes as much as they can. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski mentioned how different those situations can be throughout the league, with teams featuring different personnel types and roster constructions. But the mental factor alone has made him think more about the way he coaches and interacts with his young Blue Devils with a record around .500.

“Every team has setbacks. This year the setbacks, they’re a lot off the court also,” Krzyzewski said. “But if you’ve been able to go through setbacks with a veteran team, that helps you this year. And it also helps the young guys on a team like that.

“For us, we don’t have many of those guys that were the key guys, so we have to be careful just how we handle everything. They’re very much developing in every area, and you don’t want to really put them in a hole, you know what I mean? ... These kids have been in a much, much strange environment. And you’ve got to be careful. At least I feel you do.”

Other

3OFHIA7SI5GBFCJZK7LFYWI724.jpg

After a weekend of tests, doctors can’t find cause for Ryan McMahon’s double vision (PS; $; Knauss)

Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon spent last weekend getting a barrage of tests – MRIs, CAT scans and other procedures – as doctors tried to locate the cause of his double vision that started Friday.

The doctors have ruled out “all the bad stuff’' that could cause double vision, McMahon said today, including a tumor, stroke or brain bleed. But they still haven’t pinpointed a cause.

He mentioned the problem today at the beginning of his news conference, which was streamed live on Facebook, saying he wanted to explain why he might have to squint at times.

“Needless to say, I have not been fixed of it,’' McMahon said. “I will struggle in the immediate future to see, because I see -- in most cases -- two of you right now.”

McMahon said he was relieved that doctors had ruled out the most serious potential causes. He will continue to meet with neurologists to try to figure out what happened. In the meantime, he can use glasses fitted with a special prism if the double vision becomes too much.