Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
latest
Welcome
to Oranges and Lemons Day!

Oranges and Lemons Day takes place every year in London, usually on the third Thursday of March [1], even when Easter or St Patrick’s Day intervenes, at the Church of St Clement Danes in London.

Children who go to the nearby St Clement Danes Church of England Primary School attend a service, after which the church’s bells are rung and the children are given each an orange and a lemon.

Since 1919, the bells of the church have also played the melody to the song (melody and words below) 4 times a day: 9 am, noon, 3 pm and 6 pm.

The Church of St Clement Eastside makes a rival claim to be the church mentioned in the rhyme, though they do not hold an Oranges and Lemons Day.

LITERATURE & LORE
Here is a recording of the bells playing.

“Oranges and Lemons,” say the bells of St Clement’s.
“You owe me five farthings,” say the bells of St Martin’s.
“When will you pay me?” say the bells of Old Bailey.
“When I grow rich,” say the bells of Shoreditch.
“When will that be?” say the bells of Stepney.
“I do not know,” says the great bell of Bow.

SU News

Opponent preview: A closer look at San Diego State before matchup with SU (DO; Dabbundo)

Syracuse opens its NCAA Tournament run with an opponent it hasn’t faced in almost nine years. The Orange have only played San Diego State twice in their history, and the third will be on Friday night in the opening round of the tournament at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Here’s what to know about the No. 6 seed San Diego State (23-4, 14-3 Mountain West) before tipoff against No. 11 seed Syracuse (16-9, 9-7 Atlantic Coast) at 9:40 p.m. on Friday.

All-time series

Syracuse leads 2-0

Last time they played

Syracuse and San Diego State opened the 2012-2013 season on the USS Midway aircraft carrier off the shore of the San Diego coast. Due to high winds, bright sun and the outdoor game, San Diego State made 1-of-18 from 3 and scored 49 points in a 62-49 defeat. The Orange only attempted four 3s and made one. The Aztecs made 14-of-33 from the free-throw line, and the Orange made 11-of-19. Michael Carter-Williams, C.J. Fair and Brandon Triche combined for 49 points in the Syracuse victory.

Expert projections

KenPom gives San Diego State a 62% chance to win, by a projected score of 71-68.

Bart Torvik gives SDSU a 68% chance to win, by a predicted score of 71-67.

Haslametrics.com projects the Aztecs to win 72-68.

Jeff Sagarin’s projections show San Diego State as small favorites, 58% to win
The San Diego State report

SDSU was one of the nation’s top teams at 30-2 last season prior to the pandemic. The Aztecs were headed to a one or two seed and were the last remaining unbeaten team in the entire country in 2019-20.

The Aztecs aren’t quite as elite this season as they are replacing three top-tier players from that team, including Malachi Flynn, who was second team All-American.

But San Diego State is returning elite jump shooter Jordan Schakel, who makes 46.7% of his 3s. As a team, the Aztecs are an elite defense with excellent shooting abilities. Forward Matt Mitchell can score at all three levels and is the primary scorer for the Aztecs. He’ll operate with his back to the basket sometimes, but he’s also a capable shooter and able to get to the rim off the dribble.

The Aztecs don’t get a ton of scoring out of the post with 6-foot-10 junior Nathan Mensah in the middle. He’s primarily a defender and rebounder in the middle of the SDSU pack-line defense.

Guard Terrell Gomez may only be 5-foot-8, but the Cal St. Northridge transfer makes 41.7% from 3 and is capable of getting to the lane through dribble penetration. He and 6-foot-3 guard Trey Pulliam make up the SDSU backcourt, which shares assisting duties. Pulliam isn’t much of a shooter, but both are nationally ranked in steal rate.

USATSI_15664578-scaled-e1615999117315-1024x682.jpg

Robert Braswell quietly playing his way into a key backup role with Syracuse (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)

When Darius Bazley bypassed college for the pros, becoming the first top high school prospect to choose the G League over college, Syracuse had an open roster spot to fill. Newly minted assistant coach Allen Griffin had played a lead role in recruiting Bazley, a five-star forward, and now he was back to Square 1, late in the 2018 recruiting cycle, looking for another long, athletic forward who would be ideal for the Syracuse system. Thing is, it was late March. Time was running short. But the coaching business, particularly recruiting, is a relationships business, and Griffin has always tried to build and sustain healthy relationships with the people closest to high school talent. This time, a connection he had created years earlier, as a Dayton assistant, became helpful.

A coach in South Carolina called Griffin. “I’ve got the perfect player for you,” he said. After seeing the tape, Griffin was on a flight to see the prospect for himself. First impressions were that the player, Robert Braswell, was a 6-foot-7, skinny high school senior who was quiet. Very quiet. But Griffin noticed Braswell had a feel for the game, athleticism and a soft shooting touch. He had won the South Carolina state high jump, and Massachusetts and Oklahoma State had already been recruiting him. Griffin says he needed only a couple of practices to see his potential. “I knew he would be long, athletic and make shots,” Griffin recalled last year. “For our system, that’s golden.”

Beat writers split if Syracuse can win NCAA Tournament opener against SDSU (DO; Staff)

After earning a No. 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament and avoiding a play-in game, Syracuse opens with a game against No. 6 seed San Diego State (23-4, 14-3 Mountain West) on Friday. The Aztecs won 14 straight games en route to the MWC title and are led by Matt Mitchell and Jordan Schakel — the latter of whom is the 19th-best 3-point shooter in the country, at 46.7%.

SU’s run in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament ended when Reece Beekman’s buzzer-beater lifted Virginia over the Orange, but wins over NC State, North Carolina and Clemson before the UVA loss helped Syracuse sneak off the bubble and narrowly make the tournament’s field.

Here’s what The Daily Orange’s beat writers think will happen when Syracuse (16-9, 9-7 ACC) and San Diego State meet for the third time:

Andrew Crane (16-9)
Zoned in
Syracuse 71, San Diego State 67

SDSU head coach Brian Dutcher admitted in his press conference after Selection Sunday that Syracuse posed a difficult challenge because the Aztecs haven’t played a 2-3 zone this season. Air Force was the only team to play any zone against them — everything else, through nonconference play and the MWC, was man defense. The Orange’s defensive improvements throughout the season make them an intriguing upset pick in the first round, as long as they contain San Diego State’s shooters and Buddy Boeheim continues his run on offense.

Look for the zone to shake up SDSU’s rhythm and provide just enough of an advantage after some late Syracuse baskets help it pull away for its first tournament win since 2018. The 2-3 zone has carried the Orange before in March, and it’ll do just that again on Friday.

Anthony Dabbundo (19-6)
Zoned out
San Diego State 75, Syracuse 73

I have gone back and forth on my pick for this game multiple times. But after examining both teams, this game is sure to come down to who makes more 3s. Both teams like to shoot 3s, neither team gets to the rim that much, and both defenses are set up to force opponents to take jumpers. The Orange’s offense has really improved in recent weeks and deserves credit for that. But SDSU can frustrate the Orange and contest every jump shot. On the other end, SDSU hasn’t seen a zone, but the Aztecs are experienced and well-coached.

Schakel has a big game and makes enough 3s to keep SDSU in this early before the Aztecs win the game in the final minutes. The Aztecs offense will be better at generating quality looks than the Orange’s, especially with the game on the line in the final two minutes. And in a tight game, I have more faith in SDSU’s defense than the Orange’s, which has been inconsistent at best. In a true toss-up game, experience and Mitchell wins it for SDSU.

Danny Emerman (16-9)
It ends tonight
San Diego State 75, Syracuse 70

Utah State 57, SDSU 45: The loss that saved the Aztecs' season (sandiegouniontribune.com; Zeigler)

The SpringHill Suites in Logan, Utah, is in a strip mall on Main Street with a Mongolian grill, a pizzeria, a sandwich chain, an ice cream parlor, a doughnut shop and a cell-phone store.

This is where, almost exactly two months ago, on a chilly Friday morning in Utah’s Cache Valley, with snowflakes tumbling down, San Diego State’s basketball season got traction. Where it finally got reception.

The Aztecs lost 57-45 at Utah State the night before, shooting a season-low 31.5 percent, scoring their fewest points in 178 games, going seven minutes without a point and 11 minutes with only five, ending a 13-game, 667-day road win streak that was the longest in Division I.

Forward Nathan Mensah was their leading scorer with 13 points, and he spent most of the night keeled over with altitude sickness. The rest of the roster combined for 11 baskets and shot 24.4 percent. Transfer guard Terrell Gomez, who had averaged nearly 20 points at CSUN each of the previous two seasons, attempted three shots and failed to score for only the second time in 108 career games.

“It wasn’t a case where we missed a lot of open shots,” coach Brian Dutcher lamented in his postgame news conference. “We didn’t get a lot of open shots.”

Oh, and Matt Mitchell, their scoring and emotional leader, had his knee grotesquely buckle in what looked suspiciously like a season-ending injury during the second half of the ugly loss.

The loss, it turned out, that saved the season.

“That day in between games at Utah State changed our season, hands down,” longtime assistant coach David Velasquez says now. “We were never going to be that team again, and we never have been. That Friday at our hotel changed everything.”

It started at 7:30 a.m., in a ballroom where players would arrive for breakfast at 9 while Mitchell went to a local clinic for an MRI scan on his knee. Just the coaches were in the giant room, discussing whether the film, as it sometimes does, showed something different than what they witnessed at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum the night before.

It didn’t. Their team was lethargic, tentative, passive, uninspired, reactive instead of proactive. Mitchell had two turnovers before he attempted a shot and five by halftime. Gomez came off a screen and was wide open for a shot he’s launched hundreds of times in his college career; he didn’t even look at the basket.

Column: How far can SDSU go in the NCAA Tournament? (thedailyaztec.com; Honda)

No. 16/18 San Diego men’s basketball was picked as the No. 6 seed in the Midwest region of the NCAA tournament on Selection Sunday.

Between now and Friday when the first game begins with No. 7 Florida facing No. 10 Virginia Tech at 9:10 a.m. PT in the South region, people across the country and around the world have the opportunity to make the perfect bracket.

In addition, people are listening to experts about which higher seeds can pull off an upset or even win it all.

During the selection show on Sunday, CBS college basketball reporter Seth Davis said the Aztecs could make its deepest tournament run in school history and bust people’s brackets.

“My bracket buster is San Diego State,” Davis said. “I have them going to the Elite 8.”

Getting to the Elite 8 will be difficult and when it comes to March, you always need a little luck along the way.

A team needs six consecutive wins to win the national championship, so how far can the Scarlet and Black go?

Aztecs look to break Syracuse's suffocating 2-3 zone defense (APnews; Wilson)

San Diego State has lost big to Syracuse on both coasts, first in the spacious Carrier Dome in upstate New York and then on the flight deck of a decommissioned aircraft carrier on San Diego’s waterfront, where the wind blowing off the nearby Pacific Ocean altered the course of the 3-pointers the Aztecs launched futilely over the Orange’s shutdown 2-3 zone defense.

Now the Aztecs, the No. 6 seed in the Midwest Region, will face the 11th-seeded Orange in the heartland in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday night. Coach Brian Dutcher thinks the setting in historic Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis will be much kinder to the Aztecs against the relentless defense favored by Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim.

“Obviously I like it, going against a zone team, the backdrops will be shorter,” Dutcher said. “We won’t be playing in a dome, so any advantage we can get, I’m looking forward to taking. I think the backdrops there will be better-suited to go against a zone team. It’ll be way better suited than playing on an aircraft carrier, I can tell you that.”

Ah yes, the aircraft carrier game. Although the players from that game on Nov. 11, 2012, have long since moved on, neither program will ever forget the unique setting and how it dramatically affected the game.

Syracuse Basketball: The night Butler broke my heart (itlh; Lee)

Syracuse Basketball in March is always a special ride. Sometimes that ride ends in heartbreak as it did against Butler in 2010.

As a lifelong Syracuse Basketball fan, March Madness became a month-long holiday for me. Imagine that is the way for so many of us who have trudged up to the Dome in the middle of a snowstorm, knowing we earned this celebration of spring arriving.

I was fortunate enough to grow into my love of basketball during one of the true best stretches in Syracuse’s program history. From 2009-through-2014, Syracuse made the tournament every year. They were a three seed three times, a one twice, and a four seed, the only to make a Final Four during this run.

My generation grew up learning of the greatness of John Wallace, Billy Owens, Derrick Coleman, and others all the way back to Coach Jim Boeheim and Dave Bing. At the same time, Gerry McNamara and Carmelo Anthony sealed our fandom with the team’s only National Championship. We hoped to return to that glory with some of our favorites Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, and Tyler Ennis.

In 2021 Syracuse is still looking for their second title. We still have the memories of the hope, triumphs, and heartbreaks of the teams that took us on that six-year Tournament run from 2009-to-2014.

While getting ready for another tournament and the days between the Selection Sunday and the First Round, all of those memories come storming back just as Syracuse did against Virginia in 2016’s tournament.

Those memories are full of great times. Big wins in classic games, vs. Wisconsin 2012 Sweet 16, and heartbreak, vs. Butler 2010 Sweet 16. My goodness, the heartbreak.

Yes, I still smile thinking of Rakeem Christmas hugging Otto after the Orange punched their ticket to the Final Four or when Jordan Taylor’s shot came up short against the Badgers. Yet, I cannot also help to remember the pain the most sometimes.

https://247sports.com/college/syrac...ment-San-Diego-State-162570016/247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse basketball will hold its second practice since flying to Indianapolis on Wednesday evening, just over 48 hours from its scheduled tipoff against San Diego State. The 11th-seeded Orange made the trip on Monday and quarantined at the team hotel for 24 hours before two negative Covid-19 test results allowed Jim Boeheim and Co. to hit the practice floor on Tuesday evening.

SU's players lifted weights earlier on Wednesday and were able to take a walk around the area, Boeheim said. He noted that the team has yet to stop in to see Hinkle Fieldhouse, where it will face the Aztecs on Friday at 9:40 p.m.

"It’s great to be here," Boeheim said during a virtual press conference on Wednesday afternoon. "This has really been really well run. The NCAA has done an incredible job of organizing this. It’s just been such a well-organized process and, obviously, a necessary process to get to where we can play. We’re used to this kind of thing anyway. It’s a long week, but we’ve kind of navigating through it and I think we’re certainly ready to go.

"We had a practice yesterday, we’ll practice tonight. Players have had the opportunity to lift and do some other things, go for a walk. I think we’re in a good place right now and we’re looking forward to playing in this tournament."

Boeheim on Guerrier: 'He Can Be An All-American Player' (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse forward Quincy Guerrier has had a strong sophomore campaign. He has shown significant improvement in all facets of his game compared to his freshman year, and Orange head coach Jim Boeheim has taken notice.

"He's a tremendous player," Boeheim said during an NCAA Tournament press conference on Wednesday. "I think his shooting has gotten significantly better. He, obviously, helps us inside tremendously, but he helps our team when he can make a perimeter shot too. It's a big boost for us. He's not there yet, but I think he's going to be a really, really good shooter. He's moving in that direction, it's just not quite there yet. I remember Demetris Nichols when he was younger he shot about 17 or 18 percent and he ended up shooting 38 or 40 percent from the three after he got a couple years in.

"I really think Quincy's a tremendous player. He's had a tremendous year rebounding wise. Defensively he's gotten better every game. He can even get better around the basket, going to the basket, because he didn't do that. He's just done that since he's been with us. Coach Autry's really worked hard with him and he's gotten better. He's got a huge upside in terms of being able to get to the basket, being around the basket. His three point shooting will get significantly better in time. He's had a great year but he's got a lot more in him. He can be an All-American player if he just keeps doing what he's doing."

Recruits React to Syracuse's NCAA Tournament Bid (SI; McAllister)

The Syracuse Orange received an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament and avoided a play-in game. The 11th seeded Orange face the six seed San Diego State Friday night. Three Syracuse recruits provided reactions to that news as well as the Orange's first round matchup.

2021 Syracuse signee & SI All-American finalist Benny Williams: "Great opportunity for the guys to show they deserve it. I'm expecting a win. It's a good draw for Cuse. I think the zone will cause San Diego State trouble as far as hitting from the outside. Also, they don't have a ton of height that will cause Cuse problems on the boards. I'm expecting it to be a fast paced, up and down game. But, if we move and take care of the ball and continue to hit shots like we did to close the season, we will be fine."

2022 SG/SF target Justin Taylor: "I think that's awesome. I'm honestly just glad they were able to have zero positive Covid cases after playing UVA who had positive cases. I think they're in a solid spot and it would be cool to see them make a little run. If they end up playing West Virginia in the second round, I think that could be a really good game."

2022 PG target Quadir Copeland: "That's good. Just hoping for the best. I think Syracuse can go far if they play Cuse ball and really lock down on D. They shoot the ball well and shoot their shots, sky's the limit."

Syracuse basketball shut out in 5-star Brandon Huntley-Hatfield predictions (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball continues to be mentioned as one of the primary contenders for elite 2022 prospect Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, however, a Southeastern Conference school appears to have gained momentum for the five-star power forward.

Not too long ago, 247Sports national analyst and director of basketball scouting Jerry Meyer entered a crystal-ball prediction for Huntley-Hatfield to Tennessee, with a high confidence level of 7.

Even more recently, national analyst Jamie Shaw also made a prediction that Huntley-Hatfield will ultimately select Tennessee.

Ole Miss, another SEC group, has received probably the most buzz for the 6-foot-9 Huntley-Hatfield for the longest period of time, according to some recruiting analysts.

And Ole Miss still has the most overall predictions for Huntley-Hatfield on the 247Sports Web site and . However, Tennessee has received these newer projections for Huntley-Hatfield, suggesting that the Volunteers are coming on strong of late and could perhaps be perceived as the front-runner for him.

More than half of Duke basketball team tests positive for COVID-19 (balldurham.com; Giles)

What if the Duke basketball season had instead ended with this latest news?

With a final record of 13-11 overall and 11-9 against ACC opponents, there’s no denying this season’s Duke basketball squad was unworthy of an invite to the NCAA Tournament.

But even if the Blue Devils had managed to sneak in and thereby set themselves up to extend what was the program’s 25-year streak of never missing a Big Dance, it doesn’t look as if they would be in action this week anyway.

No, according to a Wednesday tweet from Bridget Condon of WTVD ABC11 EyewitnessNews, she received word that seven of the Duke roster’s 13 players — not counting Jalen Johnson, who opted off the team in February — have now tested positive for COVID-19.

Not just the Duke basketball players testing positive

A few hours later, Condon reported via another tweet that a coach, an administrator, and a trainer have tested positive as well. Plus, she pointed out that her source said more positive test results could very well come about on Thursday.

Although Condon did not provide any names, she did note that head coach Mike Krzyzewski is not the coach who tested positive.

Condon also confirmed that the entire team remains alone in quarantine. This has apparently been the case ever since its season came to a sudden halt due to a positive test result last Thursday. At that time, the Blue Devils were set to face No. 2 seed Florida State in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals after two impressive wins across the two days prior in Greensboro as a No. 10 seed.

ACC Basketball Notes - Moses Wright Out, Indiana After Tony Bennett? (DBR; King)

While we’re pleased that there’s going to be a tournament this year, the idea that it is back to normal continues to be ridiculous. The latest evidence of this lies with Georgia Tech and Virginia.

Georgia Tech will have to compete without its star big man Moses Wright, who is apparently (but not officially yet) out with Covid-19.

For its part, Virginia will go into a game against Ohio, with a superb guard in Jason Preston, who you will hear plenty about this weekend because he’s a great story.

The ACC has seven teams in and these two are likely to lose in Game One. That would leave Florida State, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Clemson. So on Monday, when they start talking about winning and losing conferences, just put a mental * next to the ACC’s total because, honestly, we will never know what might have happened.

One other thing is clear right now: a lot of people around Indiana basketball think that Tony Bennett would be a swell hire for the Hoosiers and as a Midwest native, maybe he likes the idea too It’s hard to say.

But we’d be surprised, honestly.

He’s built something at Virginia that no one has ever managed to do there before.

Bennett is unquestionably a winner and would do well wherever he went,

But would he be a good fit with the Hoosiers?

To us, despite Bob Knight’s long tenure which admittedly contradicts our theory, Indiana basketball, like NC State basketball, wants to run.

Other

27REM5U7XVFUJLHIZFWFZLCJQ4.jpg

Another big warmup coming to Upstate NY -- after a little snow (PS; $; Coin)

Temperatures are expected to climb back into the 60s across Upstate New York by early next week, but we might see some light snow first.

The northern edge of a strong storm moving through the Plains and mid-Atlantic will reach parts of Upstate New York Thursday afternoon, bringing light to moderate rain. Temperatures are expected to drop low enough Thursday night and early Friday for an inch or so of snow, mostly along and south of the Thruway. Two to 3 inches is possible on hilltops in the Southern Tier and Catskills.

That storm is being held in check by a building high pressure system, which will dominate Upstate weather Saturday through at least Tuesday. High pressure fends off moisture and clouds, so Upstate will be bathed in sunshine through Tuesday, too.

“There should be ample clear skies for spring sunshine and mainly clear nights,” said the Albany office of the National Weather Service.

Friday’s high will be in the 30s, and it drop drop to 20 or the teens early Saturday morning. But all that sunshine will bring increasingly warmer temperatures each day: 40s on Saturday, 50s on Sunday, and 60s on Monday and Tuesday.

It hasn’t been that warm since March 11, when Syracuse set a daily temperature record of 73 degrees.

The normal high this time of year is in the mid-40s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope the Duke player who brought COVID into the gym isn't a pre-Med* major.
More to the point, if he is, I hope he's never my doctor!

(* I know, more likely "poli-sci" or "broadcast journalism" or "physical therapy")

Coach Dutch presents himself as a great motivator and an honest person. Minn should be crossing fingers they land him.

We have one tough game coming up for sure.

Go Orange