Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
KB_COMP_Rockefeller-Center-christmas-tree.jpg
Welcome to Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Day!

For more than eight decades, the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree has stood as a holiday beacon for New Yorkers and visitors alike. While the lights, decorations, and stars have changed through the years, visiting the Tree remains a quintessential New York experience.

December 1931
Workers at Rockefeller Center pooled their money together to buy a Christmas tree. The men decorated the 20-foot high balsam fir with handmade garlands made by their families. This photo, taken on Christmas Eve, shows the men lined up to receive their wages.

SU News

Jim Boeheim after Syracuse’s thrilling double-overtime win over Indiana: ‘These guys have heart’ (PS; $; Waters)

Syracuse had just survived a double-overtime thriller, outlasting Indiana 112-110 when, even though it was just the seventh game on the schedule, the Orange’s season appeared to hang in the balance.

On a night when Syracuse could have folded its tent, the Orange kept creating opportunities to win.

“These guys have a lot of heart,’’ Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said.

Syracuse had entered the game with a pedestrian 3-3 record. Indiana came in undefeated at 6-0.

The ACC/Big Ten matchup with Indiana fell in the middle of a brutal stretch with Syracuse coming off a 1-2 trip to the Battle 4 Atlantis and looking ahead to road games with Florida State, Villanova and Georgetown.

Syracuse squandered an 18-point second-half lead, fell behind, rallied to take a nine-point lead with less than four minutes to go and frittered it away.

“They got back, took the lead and we made great plays and got the lead back,’’ Boeheim said, “and that’s hard to do.’’

‘HOLY MOLY! What a freaking game:’ What they’re saying about Syracuse’s 2OT overtime win over Indiana (PS; Curtis)

Syracuse outlasted Indiana for a thrilling double-overtime victory Tuesday night, coming away with a 112-110 win in the 2021 Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

Despite a monster performance of 31 points and 16 rebounds from Indiana star forward Trayce Jackson-Davis — who sent the game into the first overtime period —Buddy Boeheim and Jimmy Boeheim combined to score 53 points in Syracuse’s fourth win of the season. Joe Girard sank the game-winning free throws with 0.8 seconds remaining in the second overtime.

Syracuse is now 6-1 in meetings against Indiana. Tuesday’s game marked the highest-scoring game in the history of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, which started in 1999.

Orange coach Jim Boeheim said his team had “a will to win” during both overtime periods on Tuesday, which marked SU’s first game this season to enter overtime.

Tons of reactions from social media labeled the back-and-forth slugfest as an instant classic. Some even said it was a candidate for college basketball’s “Game of the Year.”

Here’s a glimpse at nearly 30 posts on Twitter from Syracuse and Indiana fans, players and reporters from across the country:

Syracuse ML bettors just went THROUGH IT
— Andrew Hughes (@ARJHughes) December 1, 2021

IU did some good things tonight coming back from a deficit, but remember, this Syracuse team lost to Colgate, VCU and Auburn. Just to add some perspective.
— Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz) December 1, 2021

#B1GACC challenge has been electric. What a game between Indiana and Syracuse!
— Brandon Pope TV (@BpopeTV) December 1, 2021

What a sensational, instant classic game at the Carrier Dome and a gutty win for Syracuse to go to double-OT after 3 games in 3 days at the Battle for Atlantis. And what a night for free throws! #TheyMatter
— Brent Axe (@BrentAxeMedia) December 1, 2021

Syracuse, never in doubt
— B.W. Carlin (@BaileyCarlin) December 1, 2021

Trayce Jackson-Davis is the front runner for College Hoops Player of The Year
— Dan Dakich (@dandakich) December 1, 2021

In double ot @Cuse_MBB finds way to win as Boeheim Bros go for 53 Jimmy 26 & Buddy 27. The Cuse behind @Buddy_Boeheim35 who was sensational in the 2nd OT got a needed W 112-110 . Trayce Jackson Davis had 31-16 & continues his fantastic play for @IndianaMBB who lose 1st game
— Dick Vitale (@DickieV) December 1, 2021

I really don't get why IU pressed in a tie game and let Syracuse get numerical advantage but oh well! Great game.
— Eamonn Brennan (@eamonnbrennan) December 1, 2021

Syracuse wins, 112-110, as Girard hits 2 late free throws - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

In a back-and-forth game that wasn’t decided until Joe Girard III made a pair of foul shots with eight-tenths of a second left in the second overtime, Syracuse emerged with a 112-110 home victory over Indiana in the ACC-Big Ten Classic. The Orange (4-3) led by as many as 18 points and held an 11-point lead in the final four minutes of regulation, then came back after giving up the first four points of the second overtime to the Hoosiers (5-1) to pull out the win.

Indiana forced the first overtime by getting three free throws in the final second of regulation, as the intentional miss by Khristian Lander was rebounded and turned into two foul shots by Trayce Jackson-Davis to send the game into overtime knotted at 88 a side.

Neither team held much of an advantage in the first overtime, but SU got six free throws and a Buddy Boeheim jumper to flip a four-point deficit into a four-point lead in the second extra session. Indiana’s Miller Kopp would wipe out a 110-107 Syracuse lead with three foul shots, but Girard was fouled on a drive and made two free throws for the winning points.

The brothers Boeheim propelled the Orange to a 10-2 lead in just over two minutes of play as the hosts led almost all of the opening half. The Hoosiers went without a field goal for over five minutes of play ad SU ran off ten straight points for a 32-18 lead with 6:30 left in the opening session.

Syracuse built their lead out to 18 points on three occasions, but Indiana used a 21-5 run to erase almost all of the margin in under eight minutes of second half play and eventually took a 63-60 lead midway through the half. The Orange would later run off 18 of 23 points for an 83-72 lead with under four minutes left in regulation, but gave up a 13-3 run to let the guests back in the game.

VRCISV6EDNAPNJL2VCFT3SIITQ.jpg

Syracuse Orange center Jesse Edwards (14) shoots over Indiana Hoosiers forward Race Thompson (25). The Syracuse Orange take on the Indiana Hoosiers at the Carrier Dome in the Big Ten\ ACC Challenge, Nov.30, 2021. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Hoosier Daddy: SU defeats Indiana 112-110 in 2OT (Brent Axe recap) (PS; $; Axe)

Now we can say it’s basketball season.

Syracuse and Indiana dropped an instant classic on us at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday night with the Orange prevailing 112-110 in two overtimes.

No one was calling Tuesday’s game against the Hoosiers a “must-win,” but no one wanted to wake up on Dec. 1 with Syracuse sitting at 3-4 for the first time in Jim Boeheim’s 46-year tenure, either.

Tuesday’s game was a wild affair filled with 22 ties, 16 lead changes, a jaw-dropping sequence at the end of regulation and a great night for those who preach the gospel of #FreeThrowsMatter.

Syracuse had victory in its grasp after Cole Swider made two free throws for a three-point lead with five seconds remaining in regulation. But Indiana’s Trayce Jackson-Davis, mysteriously not called for a foul (or assault with a deadly weapon for that matter) with the swing of his elbow, rebounded an intentionally missed free throw from Indiana’s Kristian Lander with 2.6 seconds remaining.

Jackson-Davis then made two free throws with 0.9 seconds left to tie the game and send it into overtime.

After the Orange and Hoosiers played a fun version of “anything you can do, I can do better” for two overtimes, Joseph Girard III sealed the victory by hitting two free throws with 0.8 seconds remaining in the second overtime.

Five Takeaways: Syracuse 112 Indiana 110 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse survived a double overtime thriller with Indiana 112-110 Tuesday night. Here are my five takeaways from the game.

1. Resilience

This was a game where Syracuse could have easily let the game slip away and end up on the losing end in regulation. Heck, even in the second overtime. After holding an 18 point lead in the first and 16 point halftime advantage, Indiana went on a run in the second half to take the lead midway through the second half. Momentum was squarely on Indiana's side and it felt like the Hoosiers have solved the Orange on both ends. Syracuse bounced back, however, and took control back. Indiana made a couple of plays down the stretch to force overtime. In the first overtime, Indiana went up by three right away. In the second overtime, the Hoosiers took a four point lead. Frank Anselem stepped up with four free throws and a couple of rebounds with some defensive stops. Cole Swider hit a big three in the first overtime. Buddy Boeheim took advantage of his primary defender fouling out and made some big buckets. The mental strength it took to turn the game back around with it getting away from you after squandering such a large lead cannot be understated. This was a tremendous effort to get the win.

2. Turnovers

When you give up 110 points and allow the other team to shoot 55% overall and 41% from three point range, it is not a good defensive game. However, one positive was forcing turnovers. The zone defense, which morphed into what looked like a 1-3-1 (Jim Boeheim would say it was more like a 1-1-3) for much of the game, helped the Orange force 26 Indiana turnovers. That was critical as it led to 24 fastbreak points. A nice adjustment with the 1-1-3 (or 1-3-1, whatever) by the coaching staff, and it certainly made a difference. On the flip side of that, Syracuse did a good job taking care of the basketball with only 12 turnovers. Now five of those were from Joe Girard, at least four of which were completely unforced. He needs to take better care of the basketball. But overall, it was a solid day from Syracuse in that regard.

Watch: Mike Woodson discusses loss to Syracuse plus transcript (thedailyhoosier.com; video)

Watch as Indiana head coach Mike Woodson talks with the media after a 112-110 double overtime loss to Syracuse on Tuesday night at the Carrier Dome.

The full transcript follows the video.

IU basketball: Syracuse 112 Indiana 110 2OT — Three keys | Highlights | Final stats (thedailyhoosier.com; Schumann)

I guess not just the way the adjustments worked but how pleased were you with the way your team has absorbed the halftime adjustments once you got into them at halftime that kind of sparked that second half?

WOODSON: Well again I mean we played I thought we played so out of character in the first half in terms of I thought we were scared I mean I hate to use that word, I mean unforced turnovers I mean we just kept giving them the ball the first half something that we haven’t seen I mean we’ve seen some zones and and not to take anything away from their zone you know they trap when the ball goes into the deep corners and that was basically it but we just couldn’t figure it out the first half and I thought we made the adjustments the second half and things were smooth and we ended up getting back in the game and made a game out of it.

In your eyes is this more about you know you made kind of an epic comeback you really show what you can do or is itmore about mistakes kind of cost you a chance to get a win?

WOODSON: Well again I mean we have 20 some turnovers you know my whole approach coming out of the road the first thing I told these guys you can’t turn the ball on you know you got to give yourself opportunities to score the ball and you know that was a problem for us tonight you know and in critical times but for the most part I’m happy with the fight though you know they didn’t quit uh this team’s got a lot of grit and you know we just gotta learn from this. I gotta help them get over the hump this is a game that you know I thought we had our chances to win and I couldn’t get them over the hump tonight

Mike you needed Parker and Miller to have big games tonight and they both played really well hit big shots, how did you feel about their performance?

WOODSON: I mean we got solid play from everybody you know I thought our bench struggled I thought with Geronimo coming in the early mistakes that he made you know I got to get our bench back going again because it’s going to be critical as we move into the Big Ten in terms of are
sustaining our play at a high level you know we got to have our bench man play?

At the end of the first overtime I know you’re down to Khristian he’s kind of your third string point guard two guys foul out, what were you looking for there and did he kind of hesitate too much or what do you think went wrong with that?

WOODSON: Well again it wasn’t so much Khristian it was what we designed they didn’t run and then we came back with the same play and Miller ends up getting fouled at the top of the key and had to go make three it was the same play and you know again it comes down to execution again we’re we’re a new team and they’re trying to figure me out when I’m putting things on the board and but I got to do a better job in helping him.

What were your thoughts when when Trayce went down and then and then just all of a sudden he comes
he pops up off the bench and says he wants to go back in?

WOODSON: Well again I knew when we went over there he had banged knees he said he had banged knees so that’s a big sense of relief you know nothing real serious so he just had to go regroup and then he came back so that was a great sign for us.

11302021.jpg

The Minute After: Syracuse (insidethehall.com; Corazza)

Thoughts on a 112-110 double-overtime loss to Syracuse:

After a wild, insane, ridiculous, never-say-die-from-either-side game, the honeymoon is over.

The Hoosiers won two in the Bahamas, a secret scrimmage in Louisville and six straight to start the season inside Assembly Hall. But on the road for the first time in the regular season, Indiana picks up its first loss of the Mike Woodson era.

Indiana got smoked in the first half. They turned it over a ton. Looked lost against the zone. Missed easy looks at the rim and shots from beyond the arc. The Hoosiers gave too much space to the Orange’s shooters and they made them pay. As the second half began and Buddy Boeheim kept dropping in shots, Indiana was down 18.

But as we’ve seen on a couple of occasions so far this season, the Hoosiers don’t fold when the game fails to go their way. Adjustments at halftime meant Parker Stewart got fed the ball on the left side. He hit 3-of-4 from deep early in the second half and suddenly this was a game. Miller Kopp was right there with him, dropping in 5-of-6 from the field in the second half. Kopp was huge in this one, scoring a career-high 28 points and hitting key free throws as well.

If you saw it, you know how it went over the final three periods. The Hoosiers stormed back to take the lead at the 10:04 mark, but looked like they were done after they got down 11 with 3:44 to go. But they again didn’t quit. Stewart hit another triple. Trayce Jackson-Davis got a rebound on an intentionally missed free throw from Kristian Lander and hit both free throws to tie the game at the end of regulation.

Both teams had their chances in the overtimes, but neither could throw the knockout punch, and it felt like this one could go on forever. Players were fouled out across both rosters. But after Indiana couldn’t get anything going on the final possession of the first overtime and it went to another extra frame, the Orange got two free throws with .8 seconds left after Khristian Lander fouled Joseph Girard III. With the game tied, he made both and Indiana didn’t have enough time left to get off a shot. Game over.

Rapid Reaction: Indiana's comeback bid falls in 2 OT vs. Syracuse (saturdaytradition.com; Harvey)

Indiana went on the road and put up a valiant effort against Syracuse in the B1G/ACC Challenge. Unfortunately, a massive comeback that forced overtime came up just short vs. the Orange.

Throughout the first half, the Hoosiers once again struggled to shoot the ball from deep. It led to a 16-point deficit at the break with Syracuse up 49-33.

After halftime, the shooting eventually woke up, along with an incredible outing from Trayce Jackson-Davis. Indiana put up 55 points in the second half and twice battled back to tie the game.

One of the leads for the Hoosiers came at 67-65 with 8 minutes left in the game. Then, a Syracuse run appeared to put the game back out of reach. Over the next 4 minutes, the Orange went on a 16-5 run for an 81-72 lead.

Indiana never backed down and tied the game at the end of regulation thanks to a Trayce Jackson-Davis offensive rebound. His putback off a missed free-throw was no-good but he drained both free throws to tie the game.

Unfortunately, the Hoosiers fell short after Xavier Johnson, Parker Stewart, and Rob Phinisee all left the game with 5 fouls. Syracuse escaped with the 112-110 victory after hitting 5 free throws in the final minute of the game.

Key Players: Trayce Jackson-Davis was phenomenal all game long with 31 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks on 11-for-17 shooting. Miller Kopp added 28 points while Race Thompson nearly had a triple-double with 17 points, 12 rebounds, and 8 assists.

ACC/Big Ten Challenge Score Updates - Sports Illustrated Virginia Cavaliers News, Analysis and More (SI; Newton)

The ACC is looking to defeat the Big Ten in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge for the first time since 2017. Keep track of all the action as well as the current score of the 2021 ACC/Big Ten Challenge by returning to this page for updates.

Big Ten currently leads 6-2

(8 wins needed to clinch)

Monday

Iowa def. Virginia 75-74 (Big Ten 1-0)
Illinois def. Notre Dame 82-72 (Big Ten 2-0)

Tuesday

Minnesota def. Pittsburgh 54-53 (Big Ten 3-0)
No. 2 Purdue def. Florida State 93-65 (Big Ten 4-0)
Syracuse def. Indiana 112-110 2OT (Big Ten 4-1)
Rutgers def. Clemson 74-64 (Big Ten 5-1)
Wake Forest def. Northwestern 77-73 OT (Big Ten 5-2)
Ohio State def. No. 1 Duke 71-66 (Big Ten 6-2)

Other

Eileen Ivers, Indoor Kart Racing, Craft Fairs: 12 things to do in CNY this weekend (PS; Struck)

Maybe Syracuse can’t quite beat Hallmark movie-worthy Corning, N.Y. for Christmas charm, but its holiday line-up is nothing to sneeze at.

There’s another slate of markets (one comes with wine and apps), handbell ringers, choral concerts and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical.” Grammy-awarded fiddler Eileen Ivers will head to Geneva this weekend to play a Christmas/Celtic/World concert, and “Sister Act” opens at Redhouse Theatre. If peaceful woodsy walks are your thing, there’s an event at Baltimore Woods for you. If you’d rather spend your weekend watching a high-octane sporting event, there’s Kart Racing at the New York State Fairgrounds.

As always, upstate New York has something for everyone.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at features@syracuse.com.

Eileen Ivers

The Plain Dealer

‘A Joyful Christmas’ with Fiddler Eileen Ivers

Nine-time All-Ireland fiddle champion Eileen Ivers will play at the Smith Opera House in Geneva with her band, Universal Roots. The Grammy-awarded and Emmy-nominated fiddler will perform traditional folk tunes to world music with Celtic roots, and will shred the electric guitar with fuzz, wah and looping effects. Ivers will play on Friday at 3 p.m. Tickets run from $22.50 to $40.50 and can be purchased at eventbrite through thesmith.org.

Where: 82 Seneca St., Geneva
When: Friday at 8 p.m.
How much: $22.50 to $40.50

Crafts Fair and Peace Festival

Nearly 100 local craftspeople and community organizations will set up at the 51st annual crafts fair and peace festival on Saturday and Sunday. Fair trade goods like pottery, jewelry and cheeseboards will be for sale in the Science & Industry Building at the New York State Fairgrounds, where activist organizations will also have booths set up. Musicians will perform all weekend and attendees can buy raffle tickets an food from a vegetarian food truck. The festival is $2 to $5, or free for children under 12. Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test is required. For more information and a full schedule of events and vendors, go to peacecouncil.net.