Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
12797624-national-teacher-day.jpg
Welcome to National Teacher Day!

National Teacher Day honors and pays tribute to American educators. It is sponsored by the National Education Association (NEA) and is part of Teacher Appreciation Week. On the day, students, parents, and others give thanks to their teachers, to teachers of their children, and to teachers in their community. Local communities and organizations are encouraged to honor teachers on the day. The day is also used to encourage people to become teachers.

The roots of the day go back to 1944, when Mattie White Woodridge, a teacher from Helena, Arkansas (and later principal at Helena's North End School), began a campaign to start a national day for teachers. She started correspondence with political and education leaders around the United States. At some point, she wrote to Eleanor Roosevelt, who helped take up her cause, and had a hand in convincing Congress to pass a joint resolution to create the day. Additionally, around 1948, a National Teachers Day Committee was formed. It helped introduce the joint resolution for the day to Congress, and in 1950 it asked the governors in all 48 states to enlist the public to push for the day's creation. Eventually, the 81st Congress, which was in office from January 1949 through January 1951, passed the joint resolution that designated the day to take place on the first Tuesday in March.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Projected starting rotation for the 2022-23 season (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball will look to rebound in the upcoming campaign after a disappointing 2021-22 season that saw head coach Jim Boeheim endure his first losing stanza in 46 years guiding the Orange on the Hill.

This past season, the ‘Cuse went 16-17, understandably frustrating the Orange fan base, with some hoops fanatics calling for Boeheim to retire.

In all fairness, Syracuse basketball lost an abundance of close games, and if the Orange could have made a few plays here and there in a variety of contests, the ‘Cuse likely would have finished above the .500 mark and possibly earned a berth to either this spring’s Big Dance or at least the NIT.

But the defense proved a major liability throughout 2021-22, and the Orange’s offensive firepower simply wasn’t enough to prevent a losing season.

As we forge ahead to 2022-23, like many other teams in the sport of college basketball, the ‘Cuse will have a vastly different roster. Gone are senior shooting guard Buddy Boeheim, graduate student forward Jimmy Boeheim, senior forward Cole Swider and graduate student center Bourama Sidibe.

Sophomore center Frank Anselem and sophomore wing Chaz Owens are in the NCAA’s transfer portal. Syracuse basketball coaches pursued local big man Quincy Ballard, but he ultimately chose to move from Florida State to Wichita State after considering the ‘Cuse.

Rob-Wright-Neumann-Goretti-Basketball-FB.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: GMac is recruiting Philly 4-star point guard ‘heavily’ (itlh; Adler)

It’s early on in the recruiting process of talented 2024 point guard Robert Wright III, but at least for the time being, it does seem like Syracuse basketball is making him a priority in this cycle.

The 6-foot-1 Wright, who plays high-school and AAU ball in Philadelphia, received a scholarship offer from the Orange in March. He had a stellar sophomore season during the 2021-22 campaign, and Wright has performed at a high level of late during two live periods in April.

Without question, as recruiting services update and expand their national rankings for the 2024 class, the four-star Wright is going to enter more of these ratings in a big-time way.

And while he’s already attracting offers from a range of high-major programs, Wright’s recruitment is absolutely going to take off even further in the near future, particularly as college coaches are able to start making direct contact with 2024 prospects in mid-June.

Four-star point guard Robert Wright III discusses his relationship with Syracuse basketball.

In a recent interview with national analyst Travis Graf, Wright spoke to some of the college teams presently involved in his recruitment, including the ‘Cuse.

Regarding the Orange, Wright said, “Coach Gerry McNamara has been recruiting me very heavily. The head coach and one of their assistants came to watch my game this weekend in Indiana. I like their offense and the way that they play together.”
Love hearing this. Wright, by the way, attends Neumann-Goretti High School and competes on the AAU circuit with Team Final in Nike’s EYBL league.

27726011_20211201_JPEstrella_03-A.jpg

Syracuse Basketball Prioritizing JP Estrella in 2023 Recruiting Class (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has offered a select group of prospects in the 2023 recruiting cycle. One of those players is 6-11 forward JP Estrella who plays for Brewster Academy in high school and Middlesex Magic AAU. Estrella was offered by Syracuse during Elite Camp last summer. The Orange continues to prioritize Estrella as one of its top targets in the class.

"They've definitely been ramping it up a lot," Estrella said. "I've been hearing a lot from coach Autry and McNamara. I just got off the phone with coach Boeheim, actually, about 10 minutes ago. Just talking a little bit. I've seen him at some of my games, I've seen coach Autry at some of my games and coach McNamara was at all my games in Kansas City. They've really started to ramp it up for sure.

"It's awesome. To see him (Boeheim) at a game, it's just an awesome thing to see. Talking with him, talking with the whole staff. When you think of Syracuse, you think of basketball of course. It's just an awesome place and it's awesome to see them come support me and watch me play."

The conversation with Jim Boeheim was a positive one.

"It was about wanting to get me down there for another visit," Estrella said. "I've been there, I think, two times. So they want to get me down there again. Checking in with me, letting me know he really likes me and my team. That was about it."

Elmarko Jackson 'In Awe' of Syracuse Basketball Offer (SI; McAllister)

One of the top playmaking guards in the 2023 class is Elmarko Jackson out of the Academy of New Church in Pennsylvania. Jackson picked up an offer from Syracuse last month and the Orange has prioritized him ever since.

"They watched me play a little bit at the first Under Armour session," Jackson said. "They contacted my coaches, asked about how I was as a player, a person, as a young man. They contacted me around eight at night, and we just talked about Syracuse. What they were trying to build as a program. Their strong 22 class and if I were to go there, I'd be a big part of a big team that they're building. The big squad they're putting together. They just told me about their plans for the future."

The Orange offer elicited quite the reaction from the 6-3 guard.

"I was ecstatic because Syracuse is one of my dream schools," Jackson said. "Every little boy that plays basketball they dream about playing for the 'Cuse, for the Orange. I was ecstatic. I felt like it was kind of similar to getting my first offer. Just in awe, kind of. I felt like all my hard work was paying off. For a school of that caliber to offer me felt great. I can't even put it into words, really."

Jackson can make plays for himself or others and can play on the ball or off. He is an electric guard with versatility in his game. That type of players has typically done well at Syracuse.

"It's a dream school in terms of history that they have, the players," Jackson said. "I grew up watching them. I used to be a lacrosse player, so I used to watch Syracuse lacrosse and basketball. Their prowess in both sports and in history is pretty much unmatched. As a kid, I used to wear the Syracuse jerseys and the shorts and all that. Having the opportunity to wear that jersey on my chest, I don't that lightly. I'm very grateful for that."

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse basketball lost Frank Anselem to Georgia. That shouldn't come as a surprise with his limited role last season, but Brad Klein explains why he would be surprised if Anselem shines in Athens. Plus, 2023 four-star guard Elmarko Jackson is "in awe" by the Jim Boeheim offer. What is an SU offer worth nowadays? Finally, which Class of 2022 recruit will be the biggest surprise?

Other

NQZDNEZ5SRC27F3UUUHTDWYOVQ.jpg

Aloha Krab Cajun Seafood & Bar

New seafood restaurant opening at Destiny USA (PS; $; Doran)

Aloha Krab Cajun Seafood & Bar is opening at Destiny USA at 11 a.m. Tuesday, store officials said.

The restaurant is opening in the former Ruby Tuesday space, which closed in August 2016. The space has been vacant since then.

Aloha Krab will be open seven days a week from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. Sundays to Thursdays and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.

The restaurant has locations in Miami and Buffalo, said William Young, general manager of the Destiny USA location. It specializes in seafood boils typically served in a bag with corn and potato. Diners can choose their own spices and heat levels for a variety of seafood, including shrimp, mussels, crab legs, lobster tails, scallops and crawfish.

“Our restaurant did really well in Buffalo, and we think it will be a great opportunity for people to try something different here,’' Young said.