Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Flag-day_banner-image.jpg

Welcome to Flag Day!

Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States, which took place on June 14, 1777. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson made a proclamation establishing June 14th as Flag Day. In August 1949, National Flag Day was established by an act of Congress, which was signed by Harry Truman. However, Flag Day is not an official federal holiday. Before the government recognized Flag Day, citizens had been celebrating it and working to bring it to prominence for many years. Bernard J. Cigrand, a schoolteacher from Waubeka, Wisconsin, held the first formal observance of "Flag Day", or "Flag Birthday", at Stony Hill School in 1885. Cigrand continued to advocate for Flag Day and became the president of the American Flag Day Association and the National Flag Day Society. Cigrand is usually described as the "Father of Flag Day". On June 14, 1894, over 300,000 public school students celebrated Flag Day in parks across Chicago. In the 1890's, observances took place in other cities such as New York City and Philadelphia. Currently, the week of June 14th is known as "National Flag Week", and the president makes a proclamation urging people to fly flags for its duration. Flags are flown on government buildings as well.

SU News

Fizz Film Room: Why Papa Kante Is So Special – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

A basketball team can never have too many centers, especially at the collegiate level. With Jesse Edwards potentially out the door after this upcoming season, Syracuse could be in big need of a big man at this time next year. Why not solve that issue now and bring Papa Kante into the mix? The Fizz thinks very highly of the Connecticut native, and we’re not alone. Kante has received an offer from defending national-champion Kansas among other high-major programs. So what makes him so special? Let’s watch some film to find out.

PLAY #1

Kante (Blue, 4) shows his pristine ability in the pick-and-roll here as well as his chemistry with his teammates. He starts by setting a pick for the point guard (22). The PG then kicks it to the top of the key, and by that point Kante is cutting to the rim for an easy slam. The cherry on top? That’s Kyle Filipowski guarding him, the #7 recruit in the class of ’22 and a future Duke Blue Devil. He’s showing the ability to play as a team against one of the best in the nation. How can an Orange fan not get giddy over a play like that?

PLAY #2

You know the old saying “defense wins championships”? Kante’s (Blue, 5) defensive prowess was on full display at an AAU Tournament in Louisville last week. He is on the left block trapping the ball-handler at the start of this play, only for the ball to be kicked to the cutter (White, 23). Kante casually slides over, fends off a power dribble, and swats it with his left hand. But here’s the really special part. Kante then tips it to his teammate with his right hand, who chucks it down the court for an easy transition bucket. Excellent defense leading to excellent offense. Plays like this don’t exactly happen often, but Kante makes it look effortless. Many say the best offense is defense. That’s full display here.

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Brad Klein talk about the saga that has been Dior Johnson. The guys also break down SU's most recent offer to a NY native cornerback.

Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball’s history with 2022 Empire Classic foes - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: Playing in tropical locales such as the Bahamas last season and with a trip scheduled to Maui next season, Syracuse will instead decamp to the familiar urban landscape of downtown Brooklyn’s Barclays Center for this year’s in-season, pre-conference tournament in November (21-22), facing some past foes in the Empire Classic.

As of June 13, there have been seven non-conference games announced for the 2022-23 Syracuse basketball schedule, plus one exhibition game. Still to be determined is the game in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge series, plus five other non-league games and one more exhibition contest, along with the dates/times of the 20 ACC matchups.

This year’s ‘Cuse early season tournament is one of three (Legends Classic and Hall of Fame Invitational) to be contested at Barclays Center, with the first evening pairings involving SU, Richmond, St. John’s and Temple still to be revealed.

The Orange has played a total of 125 previous games against the Spiders (4 games), the Red Storm (91 games) and the Owls (30 games). Here’s a capsule look (in alphabetical order) at selected prior meetings against the trio:

Richmond – The first-ever NCAA Tournament game in which a #15 seed defeated a #2 seed will always be a black mark on the Syracuse program. The 1991 meeting at Maryland’s Cole Field House had the wrong tilt from the opening tipoff to the painful end (SU never led in the game), delighting the pro-Richmond crowd on hand, and entertaining the huge CBS TV audience as the network switched the late game to most of the nation with the upset in motion.

Few remember that it was a trying week for Jim Boeheim leading up to the Thursday game, meeting with internal SU investigators about potential NCAA violations within the program (which eventually led to a ban from 1993 postseason play), and dealing with the suspension and reinstatement of Conrad McRae before the first-round game.

Syracuse has not lost to Richmond since that ’91 shocker, defeating the Spiders three times including the 2002 NIT, the last time in 2008 when Jonny Flynn poured in 27 points in a 76-71 final at the Dome.

St. John’s – A forgotten element to the first season of Big East play in 1979-80 was that after Syracuse’s 57-game homecourt winning streak was famously snapped by Georgetown in the final game played at Manley Field House (discounting the 1994 NIT season opener at Manley in which George Washington upset SU in overtime 111-104), the Orangemen went on the road and won their final three regular season games to cap a 24-2 record. It began with an emotional 72-71 win at Alumni Hall against St. John’s four days after the Hoyas shocker, highlighted by 29 points and 17 rebounds from Louis Orr.

The most disappointing loss to SJU was no doubt the 1986 Big East final when Walter Berry blocked Pearl Washington’s game-winning layup just before the Madison Square Garden buzzer went off sealing a 70-69 defeat.

St. John’s has actually won the last three games in the series (2014-16), the most recent a brutal 93-60 outcome in ’16 in the Dome, the largest margin of defeat in the building, and a game in which the home crowd booed their beloved Orange team off the court at the end.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star recruits on pre-season top-5 teams to collide (itlh; Adler)

Multiple top-flight players in the rising-junior class who hold either a Syracuse basketball offer or reported interest from the Orange will take part in an elite match-up during the 2022-23 season, according to an expert.

Per a tweet from high-school hoops analyst and scout Samad Hines, two tremendous prep-school squads will do battle on November 22 in Salt Lake City.

Those groups are the powerhouse Montverde Academy in Montverde, Fla., and the juggernaut AZ Compass Prep School in Chandler, Ariz., according to Hines.

NEWS: Montverde Academy (FL) and AZ Compass Prep (AZ) — two top-5 nationally ranked preseason teams — are set to play each on November 22nd in Salt Lake City.
The game will be apart of the @HoopfestUSA Frank Jackson National Hoopfest. An early season battle. APPOINTMENT TV.
— Samad Hines (@Samad_Hines) June 9, 2022

During the 2021-22 campaign, the Montverde Academy captured the prestigious 2022 GEICO Nationals in early April. The AZ Compass Prep School also competed in this year’s GEICO Nationals and finished up 2021-22 as a top-10 group around the country.

Looking ahead to 2022-23, both the Montverde Academy and the AZ Compass Prep School will be members of the loaded 10-team National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”), which is arguably the premier high-school hoops league around the country.

Official Visit Preview: Reid Ducharme (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball will have one of its top 2023 targets on campus for an official visit in 6-7 sharpshooting guard Reid Ducharme. Ducharme is visiting June 14th-16th.

Summer of 2021

Ducharme really burst onto the recruiting scene during the summer of 2021 with a strong EYBL AAU season for BABC. That helped earn offers from Iowa, Providence and Stanford with other high majors expressing interest. That August, he visited UConn, where his sister was a freshman on the women's basketball team, and picked up an offer. Later that month, Ducharme attended Syracuse's Elite Camp and picked up an offer from the Orange.

"It came down from coach Boeheim and it was after we had finished talking," Ducharme said after Elite Camp. "He went over to me and my dad and just said that he wanted to make sure I knew that I had an offer from him. I was really excited when I heard say that because Syracuse is definitely a school I could see myself playing for. For it to come from a legendary coach like Boeheim was really cool."

Brewster

Ducharme transferred to Brewster Academy prior to his junior season, and shined right away under head coach Jason Smith. Smith has coached and developed a long list of high major players. Ducharme was named All NEPSAC Second Team as he helped Brewster win the NEPSAC Championship.

Syracuse basketball should make a run at 5-star moving to IMG Academy (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball coaches have already doled out scholarship offers to, and shown interest in, a wide range of four-star and five-star prospects in the 2024 class.

Come June 15, Orange coaches and their peers around the country will be able to start making direct contact with players in this cycle. That could result in the ‘Cuse ramping up its recruitment of current targets while also possibly making new offers to others in 2024.

One top-flight guy in this class whom I am really high on is five-star wing Bryson Tucker, who had a brilliant sophomore term in 2021-22 for his prep-school squad in Baltimore.

The 6-foot-6 small forward, who is a consensus top-10 national prospect in the 2024 cycle according to the primary recruiting services, should see his offer list expand when the contact period opens, and I’d love to see the ‘Cuse coaching staff get involved with this elite player.

Syracuse basketball, hopefully, is taking a close look at five-star wing Bryson Tucker.

During the 2021-22 term, Tucker was a stand-out for Mount Saint Joseph High School in Baltimore. In his sophomore year there, he averaged 22 points, six rebounds and four assists per game and was named to the MaxPreps sophomore All-America first team.

According to an article from MaxPreps, Tucker was a pivotal piece as Mount Saint Joseph High School went 32-7 overall and captured the Baltimore Catholic League tournament crown.

B9316384666Z.1_20150225003043_000_GS6A0A4L4.1-0.jpg

Exacting a small bit of revenge on an old Syracuse basketball nemesis (TNIAM; Wall)

Be warned Syracuse Orange fans. I am going to bring up a traumatic basketball memory in this story but I don’t do this to open old wounds. No, I’m doing this to show you all a path forward to exorcise demons and do your part to get payback.

TJ Sorrentine. You probably snarled your lip or curled your fist seeing his photo above or reading his name...and if it didn’t well

To many of you TJ is on a short list of Syracuse villains for that shot. A shot that knocked out the Orange and ended the collegiate career of Hakim Warrick. To me, TJ’s the son of my former high school phys ed teacher and coach. He was the little kid hanging around practices who starred for his father at St. Raphael’s in Pawtucket, RI and wound up as a Vermont Catamount Hall of Fame selection.

When the 2005 Orange drew that experienced Vermont squad it was concerning. Sorrentine and Taylor Coppenrath were making their third straight NCAA appearance and they faced a Syracuse squad in turmoil. We don’t need to rehash the ending but unlike most Syracuse fans I was conflicted because of that connection to man who ripped out the hearts of the Orange. Maybe this was the beginning of my #disloyalidiot status but as much as it hurt to watch a talented Syracuse team go out in the first round I felt a small amount of happiness for Sorrentine to get that moment.

Fast forward to this weekend and I’m back in Rhode Island and running a 5k to raise money for my alma mater. The race is small but I get to run a familiar course with some familiar faces in my old stomping grounds. After driving back and checking the results to note my 18th place finish, I’m scrolling through to look for other and notice this...

B6C3CFC0_97C2_4B05_A273_975F9F32EBA4.jpeg

Fitting that he was 44 isn’t it? So while I didn’t notice TJ before the race I was able to take a small bit of revenge for Syracuse and I think this is something all of us can do. No, I don’t expect you to spend summer weekends stalking former college athletes at local 5ks and we aren’t condoning any sort of harassment of individuals. We’re just saying that if you notice Spike Albrecht approaching an elevator, don’t feel like it’s wrong to close the door on him and make him wait. Let’s say Charlotte North ends up opposite you at a traffic light- you aren’t obligated to let her turn left before you go. What if one day Aaron Craft shows up behind you on the golf course one afternoon and seems to suggest his group is faster than yours- don’t make a scene by calling him a “flopper”, just tell him there’s no playing through today while you point to your Otto ball marker.

Other

DSC0082-62.690.jpg

Syracuse University celebrates alum, WWII veteran, who turned 104 years old (localsyr.com; St Meran)

The Syracuse University campus has changed since Bob Gang first attended in the 1930s. His love for all things orange has not. He attended as an undergrad, went on to the College of Law and was a member of SU’s Army ROTC.

“It brings back some great memories and my elusive pursuit of the law,” said Gang.

Gang was part of the College of Law’s class of 1942. This year marks 80 years since he graduated, making him the oldest living alum. That’s not the only reason for celebrating. On June 6, he turned 104. One of the gifts he received was a quilt.

Even though the university was celebrating Gang for his birthday, he is giving back to his alma mater. He donated his War War II era jacket, also known as an Eisenhower Jacket. It’s on display here at the National Veterans Resource Center.

“Many of the people who will see that display case upstairs are young students in ROTC, training to go off and serve their country,” said Beth Kubala who is Executive Director of the Law Veterans Legal Clinic at the College of Law. “So, it’s always inspirational to see what others have done before you.”

A generous gift from someone who has already given so much. And when asked the secret to a long life?

“I married a good girl,” Gang said with a smile.

Gang’s family has continued the family’s legacy on the Hill. Both his son-in-law and grandson received their law degrees from Syracuse University.

Last edited:

Welcome, Kristen Sharkey to The Cuse Women’s Hoops Staff!​