Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1280px-Magna_Carta_%28British_Library_Cotton_MS_Augustus_II.106%29.jpg
Welcome to Magna Carta Day!

Magna Carta Day on June 15 commemorates the signing of the Great Charter that limited the powers of the English monarch.

While the Magna Carta came about after barons rebelled against King John’s taxes and feudal law, it outlined specific rights and privileges previous documents had avoided. On June 15, 1215, King John signed the document at Runnymede.

Some of the weight of due process written into our laws today comes from the articles written in the Magna Carta over 800 years ago. Trials by a jury of our peers and compensation for goods seized for national needs are all basic principals put forth in 1215.

SU News

KLOSD7JXMZDTTC2ZSTF47UYP2Y.jpg

NJ.com

Priority Syracuse Target Elmarko Jackson Updates Recruitment (SI; Kelly)

Elmarko Jackson’s first offer was from Rider at the end of his sophomore year, but one of his most meaningful offers came months later.

“Syracuse first jumped into my recruitment around April,” Jackson said. “They had called me after a tournament I participated in. It was actually right before my birthday so it was like a pre-birthday gift. It was great. Coach McNamara called me and told me they were offering a scholarship for me. I was ecstatic. It was a dream come true. I’ve been watching Syracuse ever since I was a kid. It was a surreal moment.”

The 2023 guard from Marlton, New Jersey has had the eye of more than just Syracuse coaches recently. Jackson won the MVP award at the Under Armour Future 60 camp this past weekend in Bradenton, Florida at IMG Academy.

The four-star guard has most recently starred at Academy of the New Church. He averaged 17.9 points per game along with 5.7 rebounds and 5.4 assists on 47% shooting from the field according to MaxPreps.

Jackson announced Tuesday he will transfer to South Kent, a prep school in Connecticut which has produced NBA players like Andray Blatche, Isaiah Thomas and Maurice Harkless. Syracuse fans might remember Dion Waiters, Matthew Moyer and Elijah Hughes attended South Kent as well.

“I felt I developed a lot under my ANC coaches and my teammates. For me to maximize my development, I felt like South Kent was the next step for me,” Jackson said. “Coach Chillious is a very prestigious coach, a respected coach. He could teach me a lot about the game from the point guard position regarding half-court and full-court reads, becoming a better leader and sharpening up my all around game. Then when I get to college it’s not as much of a speed bump as it would be for most other players.”

35C31E0A-61EF-4FCA-A27A-F8D7F97B6F58.jpeg

Hoop Hustle

Syracuse Basketball: City Rocks guard primed to see rankings, offers soar (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball coaches have reportedly shown interest in 2024 guard Kayvaun Mulready, who plays prep-school ball in Massachusetts and runs on the AAU circuit with the Albany City Rocks.

This spring, the versatile 6-foot-4 Mulready has put up some excellent performances in grassroots basketball for the Albany City Rocks, which competes in Nike’s EYBL league.

I’ve read numerous articles and social-media commentary from national recruiting analysts and scouts that suggest Mulready is a big stock-riser this spring.

We even noted in another recent column how Mulready was named to the All-EYBL underclassman team by the high-school experts at The Circuit for his play during the third EYBL session recently held in Louisville, Ky., over the Memorial Day weekend.

Will Syracuse basketball offer underrated 2024 guard Kayvaun Mulready?

I’d really like to see the Orange coaching staff offer a scholarship to Mulready, who plays prep-school ball for the Worcester Academy in Worcester, Mass.

Dating back to the summer of 2021, I started seeing analyst comments pointing to Syracuse basketball reaching out for Mulready.

In November of last year, Pro Insight director of scouting Andrew Slater said on Twitter that Mulready, at that time, had received offers from Northwestern, UMass, Iona and Siena, as well as interest from the ‘Cuse, Penn State, Fairfield and George Washington.

According to his bio on several recruiting Web sites, Mulready also holds an offer from St. Bonaventure.

As we’ve detailed a bunch lately, the contact period opens up on June 15 for Syracuse basketball coaches and their peers around the country to have the ability to start making direct contact with high-school prospects in the 2024 cycle.

On that day, or shortly thereafter, I would anticipate that Mulready will field calls from big-time college programs and witness his offer sheet balloon.

Syracuse men’s basketball: Pitt rivalry rekindled ahead of 2022-23 season? (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

The Syracuse Orange and Pittsburgh Panthers used to have a spectacular rivalry in men’s hoops. I say “used to” because any semblance of the intensity these matchups brought was long gone last season. A meager 15,214 tickets were sold for first game inside the Dome, which featured scores of empty bleachers. The rematch in Pittsburgh looked even worse:

This is so sad. Hardly anybody here about 10 minutes before tipoff. pic.twitter.com/Hdd2sr3MKn
— Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) January 26, 2022

So why do I think there’s a chance for the rivalry to return to glory this upcoming season? It has to do with the top incoming talent each program recruited - and their history with the other.

Just yesterday, Dior Johnson announced his commitment to Pitt after backing out from Oregon’s offer. He’s the #37 prospect of 2022 according to 247 Sports, and #35 from ESPN’s Top 100. I’m sure many of you remember that he originally committed to Syracuse two years ago. (And he never took this post down. Whoops.)

100% pic.twitter.com/8IVNtbWlsp
— Dior Johnson (@3Diorjohnson) February 7, 2020

Assuming Johnson does uphold his decision this time, he could be half of an interesting head-to-head matchup. The top SU recruit of this recruiting cycle, Judah Mintz, traveled the opposite road of Dior, originally choosing Pitt but later deciding to join the Orange. Mintz is 247’s #47 prospect, but he’s higher than Johnson on ESPN’s list at #33.

So let’s set the table here:

MBB: Best Programs of the 21st Century (RX; HM)

MBB: Best Programs of the 21st Century

Which Men's Basketball programs have been consistently the best this century?
Top 25 College Hoops Programs of the Century pic.twitter.com/Tt6Pe5oI9O
— CBKReport (@CBKReport) June 11, 2022
Here's how that breaks down by conference:

ACC (5): Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia
B1G (5): Mich. St., Wisconsin, Michigan, Maryland, Ohio St
Big East (4): UConn, Villanova, Butler, Xavier
Pac12 (3): UCLA, Arizona, Oregon
XII (2): Kansas, Texas
SEC (2): Kentucky, Florida
Other (4): Gonzaga, Memphis, Wichita St, VCU

In my opinion, those five ACC schools should be excused if their football isn't up to par - as long as they keep carrying the load in men's basketball. Don't show up in hoops and we have a problem with you!

Other

33Z3GRMXZ5FUXMRZ5CSC2KD3OY.jpg

Mike Arndt (right), NY BASS Youth Program technical director, caught this 6.5-lb largemouth on Conesus Lake last August. Michael Lawton (right), NY Bass Youth Junior Division advisor, caught a 7-pounder at the same time

3 expert tips, and the best lakes to fish for catching bass in Upstate New York (PS; Featherstone)

Whoever invented Father’s Day was probably a bass angler from New York. That might explain why opening day of bass season always landed the day before dad’s day.

Until now, that is. This year, dad can escape to his favorite bass fishing hole before Father’s Day, thanks to new Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) regulations moving the season opener to June 15.

In fact, all sport fishing season openers are now pegged to hard dates instead of DEC’s traditional floating schedule. Bass season runs through Nov. 30. You can catch-and-release bass between Dec. 1 and June 14 in most parts of the state, but always check the current fishing regulations before you head out.

Bass are popular sport fish because they’re not picky eaters and they fight like mad when they bite. You can catch them off a rickety old dock, from a boat, in shallow water, deep water—doesn’t matter.

Mike Arndt, technical director of the NY BASS Youth Program, and coach of State University of New York Environmental Science and Forestry’s bass fishing team, said this is his favorite time of year to go bass fishing.

“It’s just an awesome time to be on the water,” Arndt said. “By July the water gets warm, things get stagnant, and the fishing gets slow.”

Arndt offered these tips for your bass outings this summer:

1. Use the shallow/deep strategy

With the exception of Lake Ontario, which warms up much later in the season due to its size, most bass lakes in Central New York, such as Otisco, Owasco, southern Cayuga, Onondaga, and Oneida, are already warming up, Arndt said, pushing bass and other fish species into their normal spawning rhythms.

“Some lakes are even post spawn,” Arndt said.

That means on opening weekend you’ll find smallmouth and largemouth bass in every spawning stage, Arndt said. Keeping that mind, Arndt recommends following a “shallow/deep” strategy, especially if he’s fishing a new place or a spot he hasn’t visited in a few weeks.

"[Syracuse] should be excused if their football isn't up to par - as long as they keep carrying the load in men's basketball. Don't show up in hoops and we have a problem with you!" - fair?