Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
7e_day_alt.png

Welcome to 7-Eleven Day (Free Slurpee Day)!

July 11 (7/11) is the unofficial birthday of the 7-Eleven store and is known as Free Slurpee Day or 7-Eleven Day. Customers who stop in a store from 7 am to 11 pm can receive a free small Slurpee. Free Slurpee Day was started in 2002, and a new flavor is featured each year on the day, although customers can choose from whatever other flavors are available at the store as well. Other food items have recently been given away on Free Slurpee Day as well, such as Big Gulps, Twinkies, and cookies.

In the late-1950s, Omar Knedlik owned a Dairy Queen in Kansas. When the soda fountain stopped working, he put some soda bottles in a freezer to keep them chilled. They were a little slushy when he opened them, and soon people started requesting them that way. He then built a machine using the air conditioning unit of a car—the machine was able to make slushy sodas out of flavored syrup, water, and carbon dioxide. The drink was named the ICEE. Working with a Dallas manufacturer, he redesigned the machine and distributed it to businesses and drugstores. The drink was licensed to 7-Eleven in 1965, and when sold there it soon became known as the Slurpee. Bob Stanford of the 7-Eleven marketing department came up with the name—he thought a slurp sound was made when sipping the drink through a straw.

SU News

Sam Penceal on podcast: Playing with Dave Bing and Jim Boeheim, and his ongoing efforts in education (PS; podcast; Waters)

Sam Penceal was part of the recruiting class that saved Syracuse basketball.

In 1962, Penceal came to Syracuse from Boys High in Brooklyn. It was Fred Lewis’ first recruiting class, which also included Dave Bing, Jim Boeheim, Frank Nicoletti and others.

That group turned around a program that had gone 2-22 a few years earlier. They went to the NIT as sophomores and as seniors in 1966, they earned the second NCAA berth in school history, advancing to the East Region finals.

While Bing set scoring records, Penceal became known as a defensive player.

In an appearance on the Inside Syracuse Basketball podcast, Penceal recalled his years at Syracuse, playing alongside SU legends, being assigned to guard the likes of Bill Bradley and Rick Barry. He talked about his friendship with another former Syracuse player and New York City native, Vaughn Harper.

Penceal discussed his life beyond basketball as a principal and administrator. His continuing efforts to help his community through education and nutrition.

And he explained how tennis got him inducted into the City College of New York’s Hall of Fame.

1657542033128.jpeg

Tyler Betsey 'Kind of Shocked' by Syracuse Basketball Offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 6-8 wing Tyler Betsey picked up an offer from Syracuse recently. Betsey plays for St. Thomas More High School in Connecticut and runs with the New York Rens in AAU ball.

"Coach G-Mac offered over a call," Betsey said. "I was excited and kid of shocked. He said make no mistake, Cuse wants you."

Why was Betsey so shocked?

"I know the history of Syracuse so it's crazy to think they want me," Betsey said. "I just know how long coach Boeheim has been there and the National Championship with Melo. Going on to see how good he was as a freshman and in the NBA."

What type of player did the Orange offer?

"I'm 6-8 so good size for my position," Betsey said. "I can shoot the ball and also defend. Pretty much anything to win the game. Also I'm coachable."

Syracuse Basketball: New 6-foot-8 target ‘immediately catches your eye’ (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball coaches continue to dole out scholarship offers in the 2024 recruiting cycle.

One of the latest went out to underrated Tyler Betsey, a fast-rising guard/small forward in this class, he recently disclosed via his Twitter page.

To date, the 6-foot-8 wing has collected nearly 20 offers from a range of high-major programs. In mid-June, the contact period opened up for college coaches to be able to directly communicate with 2024 players.

Blessed to Receive an offer from Syracuse University ! pic.twitter.com/Fsx0fxsUUZ
— Tyler Betsey (@TylerBetsey1) July 9, 2022

As such, I’d expect many more offers to arrive for Betsey in the future as his recruitment heats up. It’s nice to see Orange coaches get involved with him early on in his recruiting process.

Let’s take a deeper look at new Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Betsey.

While at present he’s not nationally ranked by the main recruiting services, based on some comments that I’ve come across from analysts and scouts, it wouldn’t surprise me if Betsey enters the 2024 ratings sooner rather than later.

Troy Nunes is an Absolute Podcast: All hail our B1G Overlords (TNIAAM; podcast; Andy, Steve and Christian)

REALIGNMENT. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. Andy, Steve, and Christian enter the endgame and talk what the future of college sports will look like for the Syracuse Orange.

MBB: 2022 Favorite Basketball Teams by State (RX; HM)

MBB: 2022 Favorite Basketball Teams by State

What's the most popular college basketball team in each state? That's what CBKReport tweeted out:
Each State’s Favorite Mens #CollegeBasketball Team #CBB #MarchMadness pic.twitter.com/b7DD10p7W7
— CBKReport - Parker Hamann (@CBKReport) July 9, 2022
If we just look at the ACC footprint states...
MA - UMass
NY - Syracuse
PA - Villanova
IN - Indiana
KY - Kentucky
VA - VCU
NC - UNC
SC - S Carolina
GA - Georgia Tech
FL - Florida

In other words, the so-called "basketball conference" only has the most popular team in three of its 10 states (but lots of 2nd place finishes, I would imagine).

Listen to Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on TuneIn (tunein.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

It's hard enough for Syracuse football or Syracuse basketball to reel in the marquee recruits, but what is the pitch when the ACC is on the brink of implosion? Sports Illustrated's College Football Recruiting Analyst John Garcia joins the pod with Brad Klein to determine what Jim Boeheim and Dino Babers can do to sustain recruitment when the conference fate is up in the air.

Other

PNX5AFNR6NASZNTRWFNGIRFLMI.jpg

Chicken and fajita vegetables are stuffed inside a pineapple half in the piña fajita at Azteca Mexican Grill, Camillus, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)

Azteca Mexican Grill in Camillus: Dinner on a half-shell (Dining Out Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

Eating dinner from a hollowed half of a pineapple seems like a novelty you might find at a tropical-themed chain restaurant. The image of the fruit stuffed with rice, chicken, onions and peppers called to us from the menu at Azteca Mexican Grill, not as a challenge but as a menu oddity we couldn’t refuse.

The piña fajita ($14) is presented as described with a side of tortillas, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and guacamole. Inside the fruit shell was a blend of meat and vegetables bound by melted cheese, built to scoop into the accompanying flour tortillas. To achieve maximum flavor, the key is to use your spoon to dig down the side of the pineapple to the bottom and lift up the bounty of salty, sweet and savory flavors. The pineapple flavor surrounds the seasoned, creamy chicken and vegetable stuffing. We ran short of tortillas, which didn’t matter so much as it was perfectly fine to eat with a fork and spoon.

We paired it with a house margarita, which was a solid complement to everything on the menu and an effective elixir for a Friday evening after work. The sweet-tart blend of lime juice, sour mix and alcohol was nothing extraordinary yet perfect for the moment. One of our companions went with the Aztecarita — a house margarita with a Modelo lager tipped upside down into it — which was the gift that kept on giving through the meal as beer flowed into the glass as the margarita was depleted.