Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-IPA-Day.jpg

Welcome to National IPA Day!

National IPA Day is celebrated to increase appreciation for one of the world's most popular types of craft beer: the India Pale Ale—commonly known as the IPA. Made with hops and pale malts, the IPA has a full-bodied taste that is bold and bitter. It has a higher alcohol content than the average beer, and many different hop strains are used to brew it. The day brings together large and small breweries, and beer lovers and connoisseurs, for IPA tastings, festivals, and other events.

Although some evidence suggests IPAs were being made in England before they started being sent to India, they gained their name because British sailors traveling to India as part of the East India Company began drinking them in the late eighteenth century. One reason sailors brought them on their journey was the hot climate of India made it difficult to brew beer there. The pale ales had a higher hop content, which helped them better keep their taste as they traveled from England to India, as hops are a natural preservative. They were not the only beer that could be shipped at the time, though, as porters were also shipped to India and California.

SU News

Which SU basketball recruits are going to surprise fans the most next season? (PS; $; Waters)

I’ve been getting asked a lot of questions lately about Syracuse’s freshman class.

Maybe it’s because there’s six of them. Maybe it’s because Syracuse lost three starters off last year’s team, so there’s both hope and need for the freshmen to contribute.

Whatever the reason, Syracuse’s 2022 recruiting class will be the top of conversation from now until the start of the season and probably beyond. It gets us started in this week’s Mailbox.

If you have any questions relative to Syracuse, the ACC or college basketball in general, please email them to mwaters@syracuse.com.

Q: In your opinion, which Syracuse recruits are going to surprise fans the most?

Ray H.

Syracuse signee Judah Mintz

Oak Hill's Judah Mintz #24 in action against La Lumiere during a high school basketball game at the Hoophall Classic, Saturday, January 15, 2022, in Springfield, MA. Oak Hill won the game. (AP Photo/Gregory Payan)AP

JP Estrella Previews Syracuse Basketball Official Visit (SI; McAllister)

JP Estrella is one of the top bigs in the 2023 recruiting class. He took official visits to Marquette and Tennessee in June, and is fresh off of an official to Iowa this past weekend.

"The visit went really well," Estrella said. "I got to hang out with a ton of people. Coaching staff, players and all that. It was a great visit I thought. I really think it was better than I thought it was going to go honestly. I thought it was going to pretty good but it went really good, I think."

Now Estrella has his sights set on an official visit to Syracuse, which begins this weekend. He says the Orange staff is in touch on a regular basis including after his trip to check out the Hawkeyes.

"Syracuse has been talking to me since the Iowa visit," Estrella said. "They're super stoked to get me on campus and I'm really stoked to get on campus and get this official rockin' and rollin'.

"They really see me as a five man who can shoot the ball at a high clip. They want all five guys on the floor to be able to shoot the ball. I'm one of those guys, they think. They think my fast paced game can really fit in their offense. If they plug me into the middle of their 2-3 they think I can also be really effective in that area."

During communication with Estrella, Syracuse has emphasized how they develop their bigs including pointing to the improvement of current starting center Jesse Edwards.

image0-2022-08-03T174939.929.png

2024 4-star Donnie Freeman (photo from player's IG page @donavanfreeman1)

4-star Donnie Freeman says Syracuse, Georgetown, Alabama are "most active" (on3.com; Shaw)

Donnie Freeman
is the 2024 On3 Consensus No. 32 ranked player. The 6-foot-9 forward is coming off a Peach Jam that saw him start for a Team Takeover team that made it to the 17u championship game.

“I try to be as versatile as possible,” Freeman told On3. “I can rebound, guard the best player, handle the ball. I’m trying to do as much as I can on the court and always getting better. I watch a lot of Scottie Barnes and Paul George; they are always playing hard. I feel that motor and the versatility differentiate me in this class.”

Even though it’s early in the 2024 process, colleges are already starting to prioritize the Washington (DC) St. John’s Collegiate forward. On3 caught up with Donnie Freeman recently to see who he hears from the most.

Georgetown, Syracuse, and Alabama have both started to be really active,” Freeman said. “I took an unofficial visit to Syracuse.

Freeman talks recruitment

Syracuse: “I knew a lot about them before my visit because I used to watch them growing up. I really learned how much they value players like me, guys with long and wiry frames. Being there, seeing the history of their program was cool.”

Alabama: “I really like Coach (Nate) Oats. They tell me how much they like my potential and my skill set and frame. I haven’t watched them play much yet, but I want to learn more about them.”

Georgetown: “I think it would be really nice to stay home. They have a black coach with Coach (Patrick) Ewing and Coach (Clinton) Crouch on staff, there are some young coaches too. They have a lot of things going for them.”

“I think Louisville could be pretty close,” Freeman said. “I would say them, Penn State, and LSU could be close to offering.”

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: What's More Likely? Syracuse Basketball Edition Part 2 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Brad Klein ask What's More Likely? in the realm of Syracuse Basketball. Who starts? Who redshirts? Who scores? And so much more.

You can find episodes of the Locked On Syracuse podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Audacy or wherever you get your podcasts. Please leave us a like and rating as we would leave to hear your feedback. Be sure to tell your friends if you enjoy the pod!

Syracuse Basketball: Sorting out the Orange’s recent offers to 2023 guards (itlh; Adler)

With Syracuse basketball coaches having offered a scholarship to fast-rising 2023 guard Mike Williams in recent days, it got me thinking about what exactly is going on with the Orange’s current recruiting efforts as it pertains to guards in the rising-senior class.

The 6-foot-4 Mike Williams, a four-star prospect per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, attends the Bishop Walsh School in Cumberland, Md., which is a member of the loaded National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”).

On the AAU circuit, Williams helped recently lead the Baltimore-based Team Thrill out of the Under Armour Association league to the UAA championship in the main division.

Although Williams is a relatively new ‘Cuse recruit, the team has seemingly been focused on three other 2023 guards lately as well.

Let’s review 2023 guards whom Syracuse basketball is pursuing.

Four-star Reid Ducharme, a shooting guard/small forward, was offered by the Orange about a year ago, and the ‘Cuse has apparently been prioritizing him ever since in this cycle.

The 6-foot-6 Ducharme, who took an official visit to the Hill in June, is a rising senior at the Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., and has suited up for the Boston Amateur Basketball Club on the Nike EYBL tour.

Reports suggest that he’s likely to make a decision before the start of his senior season in New Hampshire, and by most accounts, his unofficial top three are Syracuse basketball, Xavier and Penn State.

That brings us to 2023 three-star combo guard Elijah Gertrude, who was offered by the Orange toward the beginning of July. The 6-foot-3 Gertrude is with the Albany City Rocks in Nike’s EYBL league and attends Hudson Catholic Regional High School in Jersey City, N.J.

His recruitment has blown up recently, with his strong play in grassroots basketball. He has said that he’d like to go on a visit to the ‘Cuse at some point in the future.

Other

FM2X6KEA5BFAPFRFZLABMJNPIY.jpg

Onondaga Lake Park, located in the Syracuse suburb of Liverpool, is pictured in a Nov. 2020 file photo. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Syracuse named one of the 10 best places to retire — affordably (PS; Herbert)

As rising prices disrupt many older Americans’ retirement plans, some may be looking for a more affordable place to live when they exit the workforce — such as Central New York.

Syracuse has been named one of the “10 best affordable places to retire” in 2022 by realtor.com. The Salt City ranked No. 7 in the U.S., thanks to recent downtown revitalization projects, a vibrant restaurant and nightlife scene, the recently launched 5G network, and a median home list price of $179,000.

“For less than the cost of a down payment downstate, homebuyers can score amazing deals in and around Syracuse,” the real estate website said.

“You get a lot of bang for your buck,” added Sarah Barrows, a real estate agent with Keller Williams Realty Syracuse, to realtor.com.

Syracuse is the only city in New York state to make the list.

Traverse City, Michigan, ranked No. 1 overall, followed by Portland, Maine; Salisbury, Maryland; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; and Bloomington, Illinois. Popular retirement locations in warm climates like California and Arizona didn’t make the list at all as inflation, home prices and other costs have skyrocketed, while Port St. Lucie was the only place in Florida to make the top ten.

According to the methodology, the rankings are based on an analysis of the 300 largest metros (including surrounding towns and suburbs) with the most senior-friendly amenities in local homes for sale, including universal design and aging in place. The data also looked at affordability (based on median list prices from June 2021 through May 2022), the highest populations with residents ages 60-plus (using U.S. Census Bureau data) and the higher number of businesses appealing to seniors. The list was also confined to just one metro per state “to ensure the list’s geographic diversity.”