Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
World-Calligraphy-Day-400x280.jpg

Welcome to World Calligraphy Day!

The second Wednesday of August is the day where art meets handwriting. Nibs ready, it’s World Calligraphy Day!

Poets believe there is beauty within the flow of words. Similarly, calligrapher’s find beauty assembling those words on paper in an artistic and beautiful fashion. Furthermore, calligraphers design words in a harmonious, almost romantic elegance, respectively.

Calligraphy is an ancient art form that is one of the oldest forms of communication. Interestingly, calligraphy first appears as early as 200 BC in China. Additionally, this historic art form is apparent in almost every region of the world as the main source of manuscript writing and communication. In early findings, religious documents, such as the original Bible, are written in Biblical Hebrew calligraphy. With western influence, calligraphy would take on a more creative point of view.

SU News

NCAA Basketball: Predicting top performer from each top-25 2022 recruiting class (bustingbrackets.com; Melton)

20. Julian Phillips – Tennessee Volunteers

A five-star prospect out of Link Academy in Missouri, Phillips is undoubtedly the name to know in Tennessee’s 2022 class. One of the last 2022 prospects to make a decision, Phillips comes to Knoxville as one of the highest-rated recruits in Tennessee program history, and should play a significant role for the Volunteers as one of the top freshman in the SEC.

19. Yohan Traore – Auburn Tigers

The No. 19 ranked 2022 class, Auburn has two names that could easily make a significant impact this season in Traore and four-star wing Chance Westry. Traore, a five-star prospect out of Dream City Christian in Arizona, is arguably the name to know however, and will combine with Morehead State transfer Johni Broome to compose a frontcourt duo that will be one of the SEC’s best in 2022-23.

18. Judah Mintz – Syracuse Orange

A four-star guard out of national power Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, Mintz is a former Pittsburgh commit who should step in and immediately contribute for the Orange. The 6-foot-3 guard should rank among Syracuse’s top scorers this season, as well as make an impact on the defensive end.

17. Cam Whitmore – Villanova Wildcats

Whitmore, a five-star prospect out of Archbishop Spalding High School in Maryland, might just be the top freshman in the Big East this season. A talented wing at 6-foot-6, Whitmore is a near lock to be one of Villanova’s top scorers this season, while also making a key impact on the defensive end as a versatile defender.

16. Seth Trimble – North Carolina Tar Heels

Due to the amount of production returning for North Carolina this season, it is certainly possible that the freshman for the Tar Heels don’t have as big of an impact this season as other names on this list. One name to watch for that should force his way into a sizable role in the rotation however is Trimble, a four-star guard out of Menomonee Falls High School in Wisconsin who could play a key role off the Tar Heels bench.

1020462344-20220305_ClassABoys_09-750x472.jpg

JP Estrella averaged 20.2 points, 11.8 rebounds and 4.1 blocks in the regular season for South Portland last season. He will play at Brewster Academy his senior season and will soon make a college decision. Brianna Soukup

Boys’ basketball: JP Estrella will make his college choice known Sept. 2 (pressherald.com; Craig)

JP Estrella hasn’t made up his mind about which high-level college basketball program will get his verbal commitment.

But the 6-foot-11, 210-pound center/power forward who led South Portland to the 2022 Class AA state title is sure of two things.

He’ll announce his choice on Friday, Sept. 2. And whichever team wins the recruiting battle will have passed the Estrella family chemistry test.

“I’m looking for that homey feel in the college and whether you can just feel chemistry on and off the court,” Estrella said. “All of these teams are good because these guys are really tight for each other. The biggest thing for me is having that family environment and being able to hang out with guys every day. And that translates on the court really.”

“Chemistry off the court equates to chemistry on the court,” said Estrella’s mother, Allie (Booth) Estrella, a former Miss Maine Basketball winner who played at Boston College.

Hoops Recruiting: What's next for Tennessee after Freddie Dilione commitment (247sports; Ramey)

With Freddie Dilione committing to Tennessee basketball on Tuesday morning, all eyes now turn to four-star center JP Estrella, the No. 1 target remaining on the board for the Vols in the 2023 class.

The 6-foot-4, 185-pound Dilione, ranked No. 69 overall by 247Sports, picked Tennessee over Alabama and Wake Forest, giving the Vols two commitments in the class, with Dilione joining four-star power forward Cade Phillips, the No. 82 overall player in the 247Sports Composite who committed in May.

Estrella is scheduled to go public with his commitment decision on September 2. The 6-foot-11, 210-pound center out of South Portland, Maine, took official visits to Tennessee, Iowa and Syracuse over the summer. The Vols, who have been recruiting him since December, also hosted him on an unofficial visit in February, when he watched a Tennessee win over Vanderbilt at Thompson-Boling Arena.

He’s ranked No. 54 nationally in the 247Sports Composite and is currently the No. 7 center in the class. Estrella cancelled a Duke visit last month, leaving Tennessee, Syracuse and Iowa as the biggest players remaining in his recruitment.

Four-star center JP Estrella talks UA Elite 24 experience, his development, and upcoming decision (247sports.com; Bock)

Brewster Academy (NH) four-star center JP Estrella was one of the headliners at the UA Elite 24 last week in Chicago. 247Sports caught up with Estrella during the week to talk the experience, more about his game, and the upcoming decision he has on Sept. 2.

Estrella has recently taken official visits to Iowa, Tennessee, and Syracuse.

On his experience at UAA...

“It has been awesome being here. It’s a beautiful city and hanging out with some guys I know, and some new guys that I just met. The best part so far has been competing on the court, but hanging with them off the court, too. Competing with them is always fun to do and the highlight so far.”

How do you see your game translating and expanding at the next level?

“I’ll definitely be able to stretch the floor and shoot the ball. That’s going to help out a ton being a five or four man that can stretch the floor. I’m a good shot-blocker, too, and that’s going to be effective. I can do that either in man-to-man or in zone, too. I’m going to be a very, loud, vocal guy on the defensive side, too.”

Do you prefer the four or five?

“Either or works for me. I’m just going to do whatever I need to do or whatever the coach needs me to do to win the game.”

Any other visits coming up?

“Probably not. I think I’m going to talk to family now and just make the call on Sept. 2.”

Going into the high school season, what are your expectations?

“The expectations are to win everything. Win the entire NEPSAC and then nationals. Going in there, I feel like it’s going to be a blast with them. I pretty much know all of them, and the relationships are going to grow up, we’ll develop great chemistry, and that’ll just make everything else more fun.”

What do you think is the biggest part of your game that you want to improve?

“Rebounding the ball outside of my area and defense, especially perimeter, and ballhandling. Those three things are key things I have to work on and trying to improve throughout my game.”

Syracuse Basketball: Nation’s No. 1 player, SU 5-star target, details visits (itlh; Adler)

In late May, five-star guard Ian Jackson from New York City said in an interview that Syracuse basketball was among the teams heavily involved in his recruitment at that time.

Fast-forward to the present, and I’m not getting a sense that the Orange is a significant contender these days for the 6-foot-6 Jackson, who recently vaulted to the No. 1 spot nationally in the 2024 class, according to .

Of course, my thoughts here are based on media reports and comments from national recruiting analysts and others, so it’s certainly possible that the ‘Cuse remains in the mix for Jackson.

As a sophomore during the 2021-22 campaign, Jackson was a stand-out for the top-10 Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, N.Y. In fact, MaxPreps named him its national sophomore of the year in 2021-22, after Jackson averaged nearly 20 points a game.

Over the spring and summer months, analysts and scouts have praised Jackson for his play in grassroots basketball and at other events. He is a member of the Bronx, N.Y.-based Wiz Kids in the Adidas league.

Syracuse basketball offered a scholarship to five-star Ian Jackson in April.

Not too long ago, Jackson was a key contributor as the USA Basketball U17 national team claimed the gold medal at the FIBA U17 World Cup in Málaga, Spain.

(youtube.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Owen Valentine discuss the upcoming men's basketball season on the hill by deciphering each of their 2022-23 starting lineups.

CGZ7VPGUN5HR5JKEY2YBGLGABI.jpg

Los Angeles Lakers forward Carmelo Anthony complains to an official after a play during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Orlando Magic, Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, in Orlando, Florida.Phelan M. Ebenhack | AP Photo

Carmelo Anthony working on TV series following his life, career (PS; Tampone)

Syracuse basketball legend and NBA star Carmelo Anthony is working on docuseries following his life and career, according to a report from Deadline.

The four-part series will chronicle Anthony’s childhood, basketball exploits and who he is today, Deadline says. The project promises the truth behind notable moments in Anthony’s career, some of which he has never spoken about publicly.

The project will also explore who Anthony is at practice, after games and with his family.

“The biggest question everyone is probably thinking is — why now? Why choose this moment to tell my story? The short of it is I’ve spent enough time letting other people speak for me. It’s time for my truth,” Anthony said, according to Deadline. “I look forward to viewers finally having the opportunity to hear about my journey in my own words.”

The series will be titled “Seven,” after Anthony’s jersey number. Anthony is working on the project with Westbook Studios and Falkon Entertainment. His own company, Creative 7, is also producing.

Deadline didn’t have any details on when or where the series will be available.

Anthony cemented his legacy at Syracuse University with just one season at the school, helping the team win its only national championship in 2003. He went on to play for multiple NBA teams including the Denver Nuggets, New York Nicks, Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Lakers.

He won three gold medals and one bronze at the Summer Olympics in 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 with the U.S. national men’s team.

MBB: Changing How the NCAA is Funded (RX; HM)

MBB: Changing How the NCAA is Funded

"The problem is how to pay for the NCAA since the tournament is paying all their bills now." That statement was made by Duke fan "Hallcity" on CSNBBS. He went on to ask:

Will that be split with football? Will the P5 schools exit the NCAA altogether leaving the NCAA in dire shape? If the P5 schools exit the NCAA, what organization do they form to govern themselves? How will that be paid for?

Other

TR4BCTQN7RFYDCMOIBRAAGQHAY.JPG

A view of downtown Syracuse looking south down Interstate 81 at the Interstate 690 interchange at Burnet Avenue and McBride Street. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

What do you want Syracuse to look like after I-81 comes down? City planners want to know (PS; Breidenbach)

The city of Syracuse is ready to ask residents how they want to redesign the neighborhoods after the state tears down the Interstate 81 overpass through downtown.

City planners have invited residents to attend community design sessions, nicknamed “charrettes,” next week at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School, 416 E. Raynor Avenue.

At all-day open studio sessions, residents can describe their ideas to city planners, who will draw them. At the end of the week, the drawings will be presented at an open house.

The focus is on big ideas, said Joe Driscoll, a former city councilor who has become the I-81 project director for Mayor Ben Walsh.

“The viaduct is going to come down. The business loop is going to be created. But what are the other goals the city has?” Driscoll said.

It’s fair to say, people in Syracuse are a bit tired of talking about I-81, he said. But the next conversation will be different than talking to the state Department of Transportation about the highway.

Removing the overpass will bring traffic to street level, forever changing the way people drive through the heart of Syracuse. About 10 acres of vacant land will be freed up for development.

There will be a new exit off of Interstate 690 at Irving and South Crouse avenues, offering a new option to get to East Genesee Street, Syracuse University or the hospitals. There will be a new roundabout on Van Buren Street, which could open new possibilities for a more grand entrance for Dome visitors.