Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
beer-on-tap-featured.jpg
Welcome to National Beer Lover's Day!

Today is dedicated to beer, and to everyone who loves to drink it! Beer making can be traced to about 6,000 years ago in ancient Sumeria. At that time, beer was cloudy because of lack of filtering, and it was drunk through a straw. By 2000 BCE, the Babylonians were brewing 20 types of beer. The Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans made beer, although wine became much more popular with the Romans—they considered beer to be the drink of the Barbarians and it was only popular on the edges of the Empire. Germanic groups were brewing beer by 800 BCE.

Because of contamination, beer was a much safer drink than water during the Middle Ages; it was drunk by people of all ages from all classes. The Catholic Church even got involved with brewing beer, and abbeys were testing grounds for improvements in brewing. Beginning in the ninth century, in Germany, hops began being introduced, standards were set up for beer, and beer began being mass-brewed. The 1516 Beer Purity Law—Reinheitsgebot—said a certain level of quality must be met for German beer. All beer could only be made with water, hops, malted barley, malted wheat, and yeast.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Coaches don’t view the Dome as one of best arenas (itlh; Adler)

Yeah, I’ve got Orange-colored glasses on a lot of the time, but I’ll never forget the experience I had when I visited my alma mater in early February of 2014 to watch Syracuse basketball battle Duke.

At the time, the ‘Cuse was in the middle of a 2013-14 season where it had just moved to the Atlantic Coast Conference from the Big East Conference.

In that campaign, Syracuse basketball would start out 25-0, a program record, and that hot beginning included several memorable games, none bigger than the Orange besting Duke, 91-89 in overtime, on the Hill before a then-NCAA record 35,446 ridiculously loud fans.

The energy in the Dome was electric. The game itself was a back-and-forth slugfest featuring two really good teams, and two Hall of Fame head coaches.

Other than when I saw the ‘Cuse defeat Marquette during the 2013 NCAA Tournament in Washington, D.C., to advance to the Final Four (Michigan, yuck), this ACC encounter between the Orange and the Blue Devils on Super Bowl weekend was, hands-down, the most exciting ‘Cuse contest I’ve ever witnessed in person.

Syracuse basketball has the largest on-campus arena for college hoops.

Now, Matt Norlander of CBS Sports recently polled dozens of college coaches on a range of topics, and one of these topics asks the question, which arenas in college basketball possess the best home-court environments?

Norlander says that the now-named JMA Wireless Dome did receive one vote in this particular poll, but many other arenas arrived ahead of the Orange’s home.

The top three are Kansas’ Allen Fieldhouse, Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium and Gonzaga’s McCarthey Athletic Center. Others high up on the list include Purdue’s Mackey Arena, Arizona’s McKale Center, Indiana’s Assembly Hall and Kentucky’s Rupp Arena.

None of those – I repeat none of those – just mentioned are any surprise whatsoever. But others further down in the poll that had more votes than the ‘Cuse Dome did kind of surprise me.

Syracuse Basketball: Does Jim Boeheim face “pressure” to win this term? (itlh; Adler)

In the 2021-22 season, Syracuse basketball head coach Jim Boeheim endured his first losing campaign in his 46 years at the helm of the Orange.

A stanza ago, the ‘Cuse finished things up at 16-17, and don’t think it was lost on Syracuse basketball fans that Boeheim’s first and only losing season so far on the Hill came when his two sons, former senior shooting guard Buddy Boeheim and former graduate student forward Jimmy Boeheim, were in the starting rotation.

Some of my fellow Orange fans continue to spin the narrative that Jim Boeheim played his sons extended minutes in 2021-22 at the expense of other players on the roster, and that the team suffered as a result.

While I acknowledge that 2021-22 was a disappointment in terms of wins and losses for the ‘Cuse, respectfully, I do not agree with this sort of tired tale.

Jim Boeheim is way too competitive to forsake victories on the court just so that his sons, or anyone else for that matter, can get more run. It’s hogwash, to me.

But still, Syracuse basketball fans are frustrated, and they’re pointing a lot of blame at Orange boss Jim Boeheim.

To me, the fact that Boeheim has roamed the sidelines in Central New York for nearly five decades, and only possesses one losing season, is a testament to his sustained excellence.

Now, has the Orange suffered through a bunch of so-so regular seasons since joining the Atlantic Coast Conference from the Big East Conference in 2013-14? Absolutely.

Have a few deep March Madness runs (hi, 2016, 2018 and 2021) helped to mask those sub-par performances? You bet.

Heading into the 2022-23 campaign, which begins in early November, Syracuse basketball has a revamped roster that includes several seniors, a six-member 2022 recruiting class, and a big-man transfer.

Other

QNAP4KAF7ZCI7NTR7PDWNRZCEE.jpg

The crowds, the food, the weather and the Wobble: 9 takeaways from the 2022 NY State Fair (PS; Cazentre)

Coming out of the pandemic, returning to a 13-day format and breaking in a new fair director: There was a lot going on over the last two weeks at the New York State Fair.

And of course there were new over-the-top foods, new over-the-top drinks and a new ride that literally took you over-the-top (and upside-down).

With the help of fair officials, vendors and syracuse.com staff who covered it, here are nine takeaways on the 2022 version of the State Fair:

Attendance: Ups and downs

The 878,110 people who came to the 2022 fair marked a 10% increase from the dismal 2021 year, when the experiment in adding five days to the schedule and lingering pandemic concerns cut the number of fairgoers and vendors.

But it was still far below the pre-pandemic fairs, which saw new attendance records set in four consecutive years. From 2015-2019, average annual attendance was 1,159,105, topped off by the record 1.3 million 2019. (There was no 2020 fair).

Interim State Fair Director Sean Hennessey took an optimistic view of the numbers, saying he met many fairgoers who told him how much they enjoyed this year’s fair.

“We’re really focusing on quality, not quantity,” Hennessey said. “It was a good experience for many people. and that’s our goal.”

During the fair, many attendees told syracuse.com staff they enjoyed the relative lack of congestion and crowds during their stay on the fairgrounds this year.

“I’ve come to the fair for years and let’s face it, you always had to deal with big crowds,” Colleen Chance of North Syracuse told syracuse.com on Day 7 of the fair. “Now it just seems more pleasant. Maybe it’s because it just doesn’t seem so crowded.”