Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
900x500-DrinkBeerDay-768x427.jpg
Welcome to National Drink Beer Day!

Today is for drinking beer! Beer making can be traced to about 6,000 years ago in ancient Sumeria. At that time, beer was cloudy because of lack of filtering, and it was drunk through a straw. By 2000 BCE, the Babylonians were brewing 20 types of beer. The Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans made beer, although wine became much more popular with the Romans—they considered beer to be the drink of the Barbarians and it was only popular on the edges of the Empire. Germanic groups were brewing beer by 800 BCE.

Because of contamination, beer was a much safer drink than water during the Middle Ages; it was drunk by people of all ages from all classes. The Catholic Church even got involved with brewing beer, and abbeys were testing grounds for improvements in brewing. Beginning in the ninth century, in Germany, hops began being introduced, standards were set up for beer, and beer began being mass-brewed. The 1516 Beer Purity Law—Reinheitsgebot—said a certain level of quality must be met for German beer. All beer could only be made with water, hops, malted barley, malted wheat, and yeast.

SU News

What happens when Jim Boeheim's time at Syracuse ends? (ESPN; Medcalf)

When Jim Boeheim gets hungry after home games, he picks up the phone and calls his favorite restaurant, Saint Urban, which always agrees to stay open late until he arrives.

If the Syracuse Orange are on a hot streak, Boeheim will delay his arrival, to enjoy the festive moment and mingle with fans who still treat the veteran coach with five Final Four appearances and 10 Big East titles like he's a king in this city of approximately 142,000 people. But last season, there were a number of more subdued and stoic late nights, as the program wrestled through the first losing record of Boeheim's 46-year tenure.

"If they win, it's a great dinner," Adam Weitsman, Boeheim's best friend and a program booster who oftens tags along, said. "If it's a loss, it's the worst dinner ever because we just sit there, quiet. He doesn't say a thing, you know?"

While the rumblings of the 77-year-old Syracuse men's basketball coach's retirement have lingered for years, they have never seemed stronger than now, as the 2022-23 season -- the 20th anniversary of Boeheim's 2003 national championship run with Carmelo Anthony & Co. -- approaches. However, the more pressing question for a program that has been led by the Hall of Fame coach since 1976 is this: How will Syracuse move forward in a new chapter for men's college basketball without Boeheim?

It begins with Boeheim, who will have to convince recruits that Syracuse basketball will maintain the fervor of a fan base that has consistently filled all 35,000-plus seats at the JMA Wireless Dome (formerly the Carrier Dome), the largest on-campus basketball arena in the country.

Syracuse's Jesse Edwards returns to 100% for senior year (spectrumlocalnews.com; Callaway)

Syracuse University was rolling to their fourth straight win at Boston College on Feb. 8, 2022, when it lost their star center for the rest of the season.

“It really hurt, not just the hand," Jesse Edwards said. "It really was a tough moment because like you said, everyone was in a good flow."

It was a fractured wrist for Edwards, who was a candidate for the ACC’s Most Improved Player of the Year award. He was playing over 27 minutes, averaging 12 points, six and a half rebounds and nearly three blocks per game.

What You Need To Know

• Jesse Edwards is a senior center from Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Edwards was having a stellar season before suffering a broken wrist in February
  • He was cleared for basketball activity in June, and on the world stage in July
  • Edwards played for the Dutch National Team in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers and in EuroBasket

“The positive I got out of it was all the support from the fans and from the team. Made me really feel even more at home here," Edwards said.

The native of Amsterdam was cleared for basketball activities in June and hit the world stage over the summer, playing for the Netherlands in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers and in EuroBasket.

“I picked up a lot of things I think I’ll be able to take for the rest of my career," Edwards said.

In EuroBasket, he played against some of the best players in the world, including Nikola Jokic.

“It was funny, the first play was me. I boxed him out on offense. I got an offensive rebound and finished at the rim. I was like, 'woah, that was something,'" Edwards said.

He took a lot from the experience of competing against NBA stars.

“You see the dynamic of how it is to lead, and how it is to impact your team from different positions," Edwards said.

In the center position, he was the Netherlands leading rebounder and shot-blocker in the team’s five games.

"It was just fun. It gives you a lot of confidence too. If you can play at that level, you can play at any level," Edwards said.

He’s back to 100%, looking to bounce back and make his final college season one to remember.

Syracuse Basketball: Projecting Orange’s overall record during 2022-23 (itlh; Adler)

I recently predicted that Syracuse basketball would end up sporting an 8-3 record during the non-conference portion of the Orange’s 2022-23 schedule.

Honestly, on paper, this non-conference docket doesn’t look all that imposing, and I could see the ‘Cuse going 9-2 or even 10-1 over these 11 contests.

But the Orange also has a relatively young roster, and the team’s non-conference results in recent stanzas have proven, to put it mildly, somewhat sub-par.

With the 20-game Atlantic Coast Conference calendar for Syracuse basketball recently unveiled by SU Athletics and the ACC, I’m looking into my (almost always wrong) crystal ball to forecast what the Orange’s 31-contest record will amount to in the 2022-23 regular season.

Predicting the overall mark for Syracuse basketball in the upcoming campaign.

November 7 vs. Lehigh
Syracuse Basketball Prediction: Win

November 15 vs. Colgate

November 19 vs. Northeastern

November 21 vs. Richmond (Empire Classic in Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Syracuse Basketball Prediction: Loss

November 22 vs. St. John’s or Temple (Empire Classic in Brooklyn, N.Y.)

November 26 vs. Bryant

November 29 at Illinois (ACC-Big Ten Challenge)

Syracuse men’s basketball: TV networks and start times announced for ACC/Big Ten Challenge (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

Another day, another round of anticipation as the Syracuse Orange men’s basketball season looms.

On Tuesday, the ACC announced the game start times and broadcast networks for this year’s 2022 Men’s ACC/Big Ten Challenge. This will be the 24th time the basketball challenge has been held between both conferences.

The Syracuse Orange will take on Illinois Fighting Illini on Tuesday, November 29th. Tip-off is set for 7 pm or 7:30 pm and will be broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2. The ACC/Big Ten Challenge will take place between November 28th and November 30th. Here is the full schedule for the 2022 Men’s ACC/Big Ten Challenge:

Monday, November 28th

Minnesota at Virginia Tech, 7 p.m. on ESPN2

Pitt at Northwestern, 9 p.m. on ESPN2

Tuesday, November 29th

Syracuse at Illinois, 7 or 7:30 p.m. on ESPN or ESPN2

Maryland at Louisville, 7 or 7:30 p.m. on ESPN or ESPN2

Penn State at Clemson, 7 p.m. on ESPNU

Wake Forest at Wisconsin, 9 p.m. on ESPN2 or ESPNU

Georgia Tech at Iowa, 9 p.m. on ESPN2 or ESPNU

Virginia at Michigan, 9:30 p.m. on ESPN

Wednesday, November 30th

Ohio State at Duke, 7:15 p.m. on ESPN

Purdue at Florida State, 7:15 p.m. on ESPN2 or ESPNU

Rutgers at Miami, 7:15 p.m. on ESPN2 or ESPNU

North Carolina at Indiana, 9:15 p.m. on ESPN

Michigan State at Notre Dame, 9:15 p.m. on ESPN2

Boston College at Nebraska, 9:15 p.m. on ESPNU

Monroe Madness - 10/07/22 | Blue Cross Arena - bluecrossarena.com (bluecrossarena.com)

The Syracuse men’s and women’s basketball teams are hosting “Monroe Madness” in Rochester on Friday, Oct. 7, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester War Memorial.

The event, for Rochester area Syracuse fans, is presented in partnership with Pegula Sports and Entertainment and with Wegmans as the primary sponsor.

“Many thanks to our friends at Pegula Sports and Entertainment and Wegmans for making this possible,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack. “We are excited for our Rochester area fans, who are incredibly passionate about the Orange, to have this unique opportunity to see our men’s and women’s basketball teams play in the downtown Blue Cross Arena. We aim to have more Orange Athletics events in the Monroe County and Rochester region going forward.”

“We are thrilled to partner with Syracuse Athletics in bringing this event to downtown Rochester and Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial,” said Robert Minter, Vice President of Business Operations for Blue Cross Arena. “Continuing to drive new and exciting events here at the Arena is a huge priority of ours to showcase all that downtown has to offer. We are looking forward to a fun filled evening and continued growth of a great new partnership.”

Other

E3UOFGVKDVAS7LOSUZLLLT6YXE.jpg

The Denny's restaurant at South Bay Road and Lawrence Road East in Salina has permanently closed. Photo taken Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2022. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

A longtime Central NY Denny’s diner closes for good (PS; $; Moriarty)

A Denny’s that has been part of the Syracuse area dining scene for more than 40 years has closed its doors for good.

The diner at the corner of South Bay Road and Lawrence Road East in Salina was closed Tuesday morning. A note on the door addressed the restaurant’s customers: “We sincerely THANK YOU for your patronage over the years. This location has closed.”

The note invites customers to visit nearby Denny’s at 7873 Brewerton Road in Cicero, 103 Elwood David Road in Salina and 6591 Thompson Road off Carrier Circle in DeWitt.

Denny's note

A note on the door of the Denny's at South Bay Road and Lawrence Road East in Salina announced the restaurant's closing on Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2022. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

An employee in the restaurant confirmed the restaurant was permanently closed but declined to give a reason. He said all its employees had been offered positions at other nearby Denny’s.

The restaurant, part of a chain famous for serving its “Grand Slam” and other signature breakfast plates all day and night, was built in 1977, according to Onondaga County property records.

Hurricane Ian; now a category 5 with winds up to 150 MPR; loads of rain and wind now. Expected to make landfall @ Sanibel Island, north of where I am in Naples. Storm surge to follow!​