Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
View attachment 221252
Welcome to National Pharmacy Technician Day!

Pharmacy Technician Day recognizes the invaluable contributions made by pharmacy technicians to patient health, safety and as an integral part of the healthcare team. It's a day for pharmacy technicians to reflect on their careers and realize the impact they've had on patients and fellow pharmacy professionals.

SU News

usa_today_19231981.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Syracuse men’s basketball: five takeaways from Jim Boeheim’s Tip-Off press conference (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

In just over 20 minutes at his opening press conference, Syracuse Orange head coach Jim Boeheim opened up a Pandora’s box worth of men’s basketball talking points.

Coach Boeheim addressed reporters for open media availability just hours before the team took part in the Orange Tip-Off. The takeaways from his press conference could be as long as Martin Luther’s 95 Thesis, but for simplicity’s sake, here are the most important topics coach Boeheim addressed.

Takeaway #1: Making it to March Madness is (always) the goal.

When addressing the expectations for the Orange, Coach Boeheim said it’s always the same every year, no matter what.

“We’ve been very good in the Tournament, and at the end of the day, you play for the Tournament,” said Boeheim. “If you can’t play in the Tournament, then you’re not that good.”

Coach Boeheim said the team struggled last season because they got off to a rough start. He said once Syracuse finally started to get things going after winning four in a row last season, Jesse Edwards was ruled out for the year and things went downhill from there.

usa_today_13834733.0.jpg

Richard Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Joe Girard ready to lead Syracuse basketball, slide to shooting guard (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Syracuse Orange men’s basketball guard Joe Girard will move to the shooting guard position for his senior year. The Glens Falls, New York native played point guard his first three seasons, but with Buddy Boeheim graduated and on to the profession ranks Girard will slide off-ball.

The move should free him to search for his scoring and hunt shots rather than bring the ball upcourt and initiate the offense.

“He’s really a natural scorer,” Jim Boeheim said. “He did a great job at the point. But I think it’s better for him and our team overall that he’s at the two.”

Girard, who spent his summer working out in Syracuse and interning at Drumlins Country Club, says he welcomes that change.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” He said. “It’s probably the more fun spot in the Syracuse offense just because the way we run the offense through the wings. I’m just looking forward to it, going out there competing and winning the games.”

Syracuse also has options at point guard in a way it hasn’t had of late. The Orange bring in talented freshman Judah Mintz and return senior Symir Torrence. Quadir Copeland is capable of playing point as well.

“We do have better depth at the point guard with Judah, Sy [Torrence]. Quadir Copeland can play at the point as well as the two or the three,” Boeheim declared.

Girard might be more of a natural two guard, but he still proved solid manning the point. As a junior he averaged 13.8 points per game from the lead guard spot and shot 40.3% from outside. He had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.5.

MBB: 2022-23 Preseason AP Poll (RX; HM)

MBB: 2022-23 Preseason AP Poll

The AP Top 25 preseason men's college basketball rankings were released Monday. The North Carolina Tar Heels sit at #1 headed into the 2022-23 season...

RankTeamLastYr
1N. Carolina (47)29-10
2Gonzaga (12)28-4
3Houston (1)32-6
4Kentucky (2)26-8
T-5Baylor27-7
T-5Kansas34-6
7Duke32-7
8UCLA27-8
9Creighton23-12
10Arkansas28-9
11Tennessee27-8
12Texas22-12
13Indiana24-14
14TCU21-13
15Auburn28-6
16Villanova30-8
17Arizona33-4
18Virginia21-14
19San Diego St23-9
20Alabama19-14
21Oregon19-15
22Michigan19-15
23Illinois23-10
24Dayton24-11
25Texas Tech27-10

Other

QA7M4C7N6JAIXPCB3TSXP35DQI.jpg

Bank manager Shynique Gainey. Pathfinder Bank is turning the former Hanford mansion on West Onondaga Street into its newest branch. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

SyraQs: Manager of new city bank wants to build generational wealth where she grew up (PS; Coin)

Editor’s note: Central New York is full of vibrant, intriguing, thoughtful, bright people committed to making our region a better place. Every Monday, we’ll publish a fast-paced question-and-answer session with one of them. Here is today’s interview, edited for clarity.

Being named manager of the newly opened Pathfinder Bank branch on West Onondaga Street was a homecoming for Shynique Gainey. She grew up in the neighborhood and recalls the beautiful parks and well-maintained homes before the area fell on hard times. Gainey sat down with syracuse.com recently in her office to talk about what she’s teaching people about money, the legacy of redlining, and the secret of not saying “no.”

Syracuse.com: Tell me where you grew up, and what about your childhood that led you here?

Gainey: You know where the duck pond is in the Valley? Right around the corner. I attended church maybe two blocks from here, the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church. I hung out at Southwest Community Center.

What drew me back here was just a lot of friends and people that still live in this community. I know what’s lacking in the community: financial education.

What’s your plan to do to that – to teach financial literacy?

We’ve already started going out and teaching courses. We’ve gone to Jubilee Homes, we’ve gone to a lot of churches on the South Side. We’ve done stuff with the Hispanic community, we’ve taught at OCC. They’re courses on basic banking: checking accounts, savings accounts, loans.

Around here you see the outsides of a lot of the homes aren’t that well taken care of. They don’t know they have equity in those homes, and to me that’s astounding. You’ve worked your whole life, paid off this home, and you didn’t even know you can use equity in your home to make it look beautiful.

And you’ve already brought people into the bank?

We were bringing in a lot of younger people in summer programs. (They had) first jobs and they get a paycheck. They came into Pathfinder and opened up their first bank accounts.

We’ve had a lot of small, Black-owned businesses that need the financial help that they can’t get at a big bank like Chase or Bank of America. They’ve come through the door, and we represent opportunities for them.