Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
usa_today_19644697.jpg
Welcome to Fat Thursday!

Taking place on the last Thursday before Ash Wednesday, which begins Lent, Fat Thursday is a Christian feast that is primarily celebrated in European countries. It is similar to Fat Tuesday, which is celebrated the following week, but in many European countries, it is the more important holiday of the two. It also is associated with Carnival. As much fasting is done during Lent, Fat Thursday is a day for getting together and eating sweets and other foods that are eschewed during that season. Commonly eaten foods include pączki, berliners, and angel wings.

SU News

IN THE PAINT: SYRACUSE VS. DUKE 2023 (DO; Staff)

The DO has a special series of articles on the Syracuse-Duke game that can be accessed here...

The Daily Orange

IN THE PAINT

Syracuse vs. Duke 2023

Time Until the Game:

SU takes, makes more free throws during 3-game winning streak (PS; $; Ditota)

An interesting pattern has emerged in Syracuse’s last three games, all of them ACC victories.

The Orange are taking and making a lot more free throws than its opponents.

During those three games, SU is 51-of-58 from the free-throw line. Boston College, Florida State and North Carolina State are a combined 12-of-17.

“Teams that shoot a lot of 3s aren’t going to the foul line much,” SU coach Jim Boeheim said. “We’re trying to get the ball to Jesse. Judah’s driving, Joe’s trying to drive. We should get to the line more the way we’re playing, the way teams are playing against us.”

Let’s get to the 3-point shooting first.

Syracuse and its 2-3 zone have habitually invited more 3-point shots than almost every other team in Division I college basketball. The Orange rank 356 out of 363 Division I teams this season (kenpom.com) in the percentage of 3s it allows compared to its opponent’s overall field goal attempts.

ElizabethBillman_SSP_mensbasketballDUKE_20220226_031-2-scaled.jpg

Duke comes into its game against Syracuse with an 18-8 record. The Orange haven't defeated the Blue Devils since 2019.

Opponent Preview: Everything to know about 18-8 Duke (DO; Alandt)

Syracuse upset No. 23 NC State on Tuesday night, its first win over a ranked opponent in nearly two years. The Orange, fueled by a strong double-double performance from Jesse Edwards, staved off the Wolfpack and finally finished off a close Atlantic Coast Conference game, earning a signature Quad I win in the process. They follow up the win by welcoming Duke, one of their biggest opponents year in and year out since joining the conference.

This game will be the first without Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski, and the first time since February 2021 that both Duke and the Orange enter the game unranked. Syracuse is doing its patented late-season run in order to earn an NCAA Tournament spot. With three straight conference wins — two on the road and once against a ranked opponent — the Orange could notch a 10th conference win and jump all the way to No. 6 in the ACC with just four regular season games left.

Here is everything you need to know about the Blue Devils (18-8, 9-6 ACC) before they take on Syracuse.

All-time series

Duke leads 14-6.

Last time they played

After a commanding win in the first round of the ACC Tournament over Florida State, Syracuse took on No. 1-seed Duke in hopes of improving on a 25-point loss from earlier in the season. It played much better throughout the quarterfinals matchup against the Blue Devils, even entering halftime with a four-point lead, its season still alive. Jimmy Boeheim was in the midst of putting together a 28-point performance, and Joe Girard III was working on a 23-point game on 4-of-11 shooting from deep.

Fo-OumyWAAAHLEx.jpg

Judah Mintz is the Reason Syracuse is in Position to be in Position (orangefizz.net; Frank)

Each game has built on the previous one. It’s like a step ladder, and Judah Mintz continues to take one, sometimes two steps up each game. Syracuse is now 16-10 overall and 9-6 in the ACC thanks in large part to Mintz’s play. He was key in the Orange’s 75-72 win over No. 23 NC State on Tuesday night, contributing 20 points and nine assists. He hit a game-tying three-pointer with under three minutes to go. He hit two free throws with under 30 seconds to go to put SU up three. Wolfpack head coach Kevin Keats said it after the game. He’s not a freshman anymore.

The biggest revelation is how he’s able to turn his game up in the second half. In each of the Orange’s last two victories (and a three-game streak overall), he’s started slowly scoring the ball but went to work after the break, putting up big numbers thanks to getting more aggressive and taking the ball to the basket. His ability to finish through contact is unmatched on the team, and maybe in the conference. He’s becoming a complete basketball player.

Yes, there are still things to work on. The outside shooting is a work in progress, but he’s comfortable from the mid-range, and starting to hit more threes by the week (including that critical one against NC State). He’s turning the ball over less (just one on Tuesday) and distributing more (at least five assists in every game of the winning streak). He might not be ready for the NBA, but there’s no doubt he’ll be an All-ACC Freshman team selection. Outside of Duke’s Kyle Filipowski, there’s not another freshman in the conference having a better season and making a bigger impact on his team.

Syracuse men’s basketball:Three takeaways from 75-72 win over No. 23 NC State (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

A Jesse Edwards three-pointer decided this game.

No, not a three-point play. A three from distance.

Jesse Edwards' first career 3-point attempt!

ACCN pic.twitter.com/jpxJ0kzRFM
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) February 15, 2023
Syracuse Orange fans who didn’t see Wednesday night’s game are probably dazed and confused looking at the box score. To be fair, those in attendance at the JMA Wireless Dome were probably feeling the same way. A wildly inefficient offensive game between Syracuse and the NC State Wolfpack ended with a 75-72 Orange victory.

Here are our three takeaways from a game that can certainly be described as a game:

Beating them at their own game

NC State came into the game against Syracuse as the best team in the ACC in turnover margin. The Wolfpack also came into the game as the best team in the conference in steals per game. However, Syracuse won the turnover battle with only 10 turnovers to NC State’s 12. That might seem small, but consider that 42 missed NC State shots and those turnovers led to 21 fastbreak points for the Orange. The transition game was vital to Syracuse’s success in a game where half-court efficiency was at a premium.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/bleav-in-syracuse-episode-67 (SI; podcast; Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 67: Big Wins For Hoops & Lax

It was a strong weekend for the Orange in multiple sports.

Devil in the details: The perfect schedule for your Duke game planning (DO; Hunt)

If you’re anything like me, you like to plan everything down to the last second. Planners get a bad rep, but we’re the reason your group of friends makes it out of the pregame. We make sure you avoid going to a busy restaurant without a reservation and let’s be honest, we don’t get the credit we deserve. I’ve planned birthday parties, baby showers and a couple of weddings, but now I’m ready to plan the biggest boss of them all — the Duke vs. Syracuse basketball game.

Anyone who goes here knows that the Duke game takes a full day to really complete. It’s not like most game days, where you wake up, roll out of bed and put on a shirt that’s sort of orangey — could be red now that you’re looking at it in the light. The Duke game is the real deal, ladies and gentlemen. That’s why I’ve planned out the ideal Duke game day schedule to a T, which you and all your lame friends should follow.

6 a.m.
Yup, that’s no typo. We’re not playing around here. I’m having you wake up at 6 a.m. for the 7 a.m. sunrise. Why, you ask? What color is the sunrise? Orange. Start your day with an orange sky to remind yourself what color the best basketball team in the U.S. wears.

If you wake up past 7 a.m., what color is the sky going to be? That’s right, genius! Blue. And what color does the worst basketball team in the U.S. (and probably the world) wear? Duke Royal Blue.

8 a.m.
Once 8 a.m. hits, you’re gonna want to start chugging. Water, that is. It’s very physically exhausting watching 10 tall men run up and down a polished wood floor for two hours. I’m sure they’re tired, but you — you’re exhausted. That’s why it’s essential for you to hydrate at the start of the day. Whatever liquids you can find in your kitchen will do: water, orange juice, vod—

10 a.m.
Start rallying the troops. Call everyone you know and give ‘em a nice early morning wake-up call. The game may start at 6 p.m., but the festivities start now!

You may be thinking (like the big dumbie you are), “When’s breakfast? I’m hungry!” No breakfast! You need to save your appetite for those delicious and nutritious (not by any doctor’s standards) Dome Dogs. I usually scarf down five or six dogs before the game starts. Then, if I’m still hungry, which I usually am, I’m ordering three dome-chos. And no, I’m not sharing with you.

12 p.m.
Now that you’re hydrated and hungry, it’s time to hit the streets. Now that everyone is finally awake, grab your rowdiest, most disorderly group of friends and get ready to cause a scene. The bars think your ID is fake? Call the cops on them. A group of frat dudes won’t let you into their darty? Fake a seizure. The world is your oyster and the Duke game is your pearl.

2 p.m.
Lay on the ground. God, you’ve been up for a while, and the ground is starting to look especially cozy. No one would notice if you just layed down for a couple of seconds, right? Right.

Ex-Syracuse player building varsity program at CNY school: ‘Basketball has been my peace’ (PS; $; Kramer)

More than a decade after his basketball career at Syracuse University came to a frustrating end, Mookie Jones still hears it from his fans.

Most of them are too young to remember him ever taking a dribble in an Orange jersey. Yet the students at Syracuse’s OnTECH Charter High School look up his SU stats -- an average of 4.4 points per game in 46 career games from 2008-12 -- and jokingly sneer.

“They talk junk. What do they call it, trolling? They troll me every day,” Jones said. “They say, ‘Hey, you only scored four points a game.’ They don’t understand how stats work. I’m like, ‘I didn’t just score four points (in a single) game. That’s an average.’ Every now and then they might see me dunk, throw the ball down. Throw it off the backboard, catch one. Then for the next six months I can’t dunk the ball because my body’s not working. That’s where we’re at.”

At this point, Jones sounds like he wouldn’t swap where he’s at for nearly any place else.

Jones, 32, is the athletic director and head coach of the fledgling school’s junior varsity and varsity boys basketball teams. The 2022-23 season was OnTECH’s first year fielding a full-season varsity team. It was also Jones’ debut as a regular varsity head coach after earlier stints as an assistant at Henninger and SAS.

The varsity team, a Class C member of the OHSL, lost all its games this season, nine or 10 in all by Jones’ recollection. Jones had fewer than 20 players available to fill the roster of both squads.

Attendance for Syracuse basketball at a 20-year low; can Duke and Wake Forest boost the numbers? (PS; $; Waters)

If you’ve been to a Syracuse University basketball game at the JMA Wireless Dome this season -- and judging by all the visible metallic gray seats, you haven’t -- then you probably noticed that attendance is down.

Syracuse, which annually resides among the NCAA’s attendance leaders for men’s basketball, is seeing attendance numbers at a 20-year low with just three home games left in the regular season.

Through its first 15 home games, Syracuse has an average attendance of 17,977 per game. That is tickets sold, not fans through turnstiles.

The last time Syracuse saw attendance figures that low was in the 2001-02 season. That year, the average attendance for SU men’s basketball games was 17,023. The 2002 figure included two games in the postseason NIT.

Syracuse has finished either first or second nationally in attendance every year since 2008, when it finished third.

Currently, Syracuse ranks fifth in the country.

Ahead of Syracuse are Kentucky (19,780), North Carolina (19,603), Arkansas (19,020) and Tennessee (18,479).

“You always want attendance to be strong, to be up or flat,’’ SU athletic director John Wildhack said in a recent interview. “We are down a little bit. At the same time, I think, how many schools play Division I basketball? I think there’s 348 that would gladly take our average attendance.’’

While Syracuse still ranks among the nation’s top five in attendance, the decrease in attendance is impossible to ignore, both visually and financially.

Syracuse led the nation last year with an average attendance of 20,017.

Keeping Up With The 315 2-15-23 (ESPN; radio; the 315)

Brian Higgins starts the show discussing Judah Mintz’s development and how last night’s win proves that he is the Orange’s leader. Later, a deep dive into the NET rankings and how Syracuse stacks up with other low-ranking teams to make the NCAA Tournament.

Dave Bing "On The Block" 2-15-23 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Syracuse legend and former Detroit mayor Dave Bing joins Brent Axe to talk about his upcoming appearance in Syracuse to discuss his autobiography. Plus, a look back on what got him to Syracuse in the first place and his relationship with Jim Boeheim.

On The Block On Demand 2-15-23 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent Axe knew it would be a weird game last night and it sure delivered, culminating with a Jesse Edwards big three-point make. Then, he takes a look at the maturation of Judah Mintz and his impending NBA draft decision.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Syracuse Basketball Grabs Its Biggest WIn Of The Season Over NC State on Apple Podcasts (appe.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Basketball Grabs Its Biggest WIn Of The Season Over NC State

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star wing who visited ‘Cuse makes college choice (itlh; Adler)

As several national recruiting analysts were projecting, 2024 four-star wing Damarius Owens has picked Big East Conference member Marquette as his collegiate destination, selecting the Golden Eagles over several other teams and after having officially visited Syracuse basketball last fall.

The 6-foot-7 guard/forward, a Rochester, N.Y., native, originally had a final three of Marquette, the Orange, and fellow Atlantic Coast Conference team Virginia Tech. That being said, not long before his college decision was made, it appeared that he adjusted his top three to be Marquette, Xavier and Virginia Tech, while eliminating Syracuse basketball.

In the days leading up to his commitment announcement, a handful of analysts logged predictions in the direction of Marquette for Owens, who is a fast-rising junior at the Western Reserve Academy in Hudson, Ohio.

On the AAU circuit, Owens plays for the Albany City Rocks in Nike’s EYBL league, a high-quality grassroots basketball program that has sent numerous of its alumni to the ‘Cuse.

Owens revealed his verbal commitment to Marquette on Wednesday afternoon via the 247Sports YouTube page. As always, we’re wishing Damarius nothing but future success with the Golden Eagles.

https://www.si.com/college/miami/ba...s-louisville-clemson-destroys-fsu-gt-beats-vt (SI; Smith)

Do not take your opponents lightly. That’s what Miami probably did a couple of games ago against Louisville. Virginia must not have taken notice of how that game played out.

The Cavaliers won 61-58 but it was not easy. After leading 29-26 at halftime, the Cavaliers stretched their lead out to eight points on multiple occasions, including 60-52 with 3:07 remaining. That did not stop the Cardinals from making a late rally.

Two free throws by Louisville star guard El Ellis closed the gap to four at 60-56 with 1:16 remaining. The Cardinals had a chance to tie the score at the end of regulation, but a 3-point shot by Kamari Lands was off the mark.

Virginia only shot 44.2% from the field, and was out rebounded by Louisville 31-30. The road win did move the Cavaliers up in the ACC rankings to being tied with Pittsburgh for first place (see full rankings below).

Another important game took place as Clemson looked to get back on track after losing three games in a row. The game against Florida State was redemption for the Tigers.

FSU basically did not show up to their road contest at Clemson. The Noles were obliterated 94-54 in a game that was ugly from the early portion of the contest until it concluded.

Clemson gained its first double-digit lead with 16:26 remaining in the first half with the score 13-3, increased the lead to 29-12 with 8:10 remaining in the first stanza, and ballooned the lead to 43-19 at the 2:51 mark before closing the half up 47-26.

The second half was more of the same, and FSU did not surpass the 40-point plateau until there was 12:07 remaining in the contest, with a 3-point bucket made by Baba Miller to make the score 66-42. Then, Clemson connected on four 3-point shots, a dunk, and a layup over the next six minutes to push the lead to 82-44 with 6:28 remaining.

Evansville native Brad Brownell leads Clemson basketball to historic start in ACC play (14news.com; Sher & Eberly)

Clemson is well known for its highly competitive ACC football program. But what about basketball?

Evansville native Brad Brownell has put the Tigers on the map as head coach of the men’s basketball program.

Over the course of his tenure at Clemson, he’s overseen four of the seven all-time double-digit ACC win seasons in school history, as well as one of its four all-time Sweet 16 runs back during the 2017-18 season. Prior to this year, the Tigers were picked to finish 11th in the ACC preseason poll, but Brownell and his group have far exceeded their early season expectations.

Now in his 13th season at the helm, Brownell led his team to its first 7-0 start in ACC play since joining the conference 70 years ago in 1953.

“It’s a blessing to be here as long as I have for 13 years now at Clemson,” Brownell said. “It’s hard to stay at this level for that long. Obviously, competing in the ACC is the ultimate challenge.”

Now recognized as the all-time winningest coach in Clemson basketball history, Brownell passed a significant milestone this year, securing his 400th career victory in a win over No. 24 ranked Duke on Jan. 14.

Brownell’s love for basketball started at Harrison High School, where he was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 2021.

With less than a month left in the regular season, 14 Sports caught up with Brownell on his team’s success this year.

“We went to the [NCAA Tournament] two years ago, so we’ve had some guys that have been,” Brownell said. “They know what it takes, they’ve seen it, they’re motivated. Really, they’re together.”

Clemson features a group consisting mostly of upperclassmen this season, such as Castle High School graduate Alex Hemenway.

“We’ve got mostly homegrown players, we have Alex Hemenway from there at Castle, and a bunch of other guys that have been here for three or four years,” Brownell said. “They’re fully invested, very coachable, we’re off to a good start and we’re trying to hang in there and finish this thing if we can.”

Brownell and the Tigers defeated Florida State in a 94-54 blowout victory on Wednesday, tying the program’s single-season record for ACC wins with 11.

Clemson now sits one game back from first place in the ACC standings, as the Tigers eye their second-ever conference title and first since 1990.

It's crunch time as Clemson basketball continues pursuit of NCAA Tournament spot (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

Crunch time is here for the Clemson basketball team.

A 40-point victory against Florida State on Wednesday night – the largest margin of victory ever for the program in an ACC game – was an impressive way to snap a three-game losing skid, but now the margin for error increases with each successive game.

“We’re still in it – we’re right there,” Clemson coach Brad Brownell said following his team’s 94-54 demolition of the Seminoles. “We may be one game out (of first place). But we’ve got to continue to play well to keep us in it. It’s where you want to be. You want to be playing meaningful games in March, right?”

This has the potential to be the most meaningful March for the program since the Tigers’ Sweet 16 run in 2018. Clemson has five league games remaining, three of which will be on the road, beginning Saturday at Louisville, then there's the ACC Tournament that offers all teams a final shot at redemption the second week in March.

ACC Tournament 2023: Projected seeds, schedule, tiebreakers (247sports.com; Linton)

The 2022-23 college basketball regular season is entering the home stretch and March Madness is quickly approaching. That also means we are closing in on the ACC Tournament.

The 2023 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament takes place at Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, N.C. The conference tournament gets underway with three first-round matchups on March 7 and concludes with the championship game on March 11.

Each of the league’s 15 teams are set to participate in the ACC Tournament. The top nine seeds in the conference receive a first-round bye, while the top four seeds get to bypass the first two rounds.

The ACC Tournament champion secures an automatic bid into the 68-team field for the 2023 NCAA Tournament, which includes 32 automatic qualifiers and 36 at-large bids. The full NCAA Tournament field will be finalized on Sunday, March 12, and the bracket will be revealed during the March Madness Selection Show on CBS.

With that in mind, the current ACC standings can be seen below, along with the full schedule for the 2023 ACC Tournament and the conference tiebreaking procedures.

Atlantic Coast Conference standings

Updated through Feb. 14.

1) Pittsburgh Panthers (12-3)
2) Miami Hurricanes (12-4)
3) Virginia Cavaliers (11-3)
4) Clemson Tigers (10-4)
5) NC State Wolfpack (10-6)
6) Duke Blue Devils (9-6)
7) Wake Forest Demon Deacons (9-6)
8) Syracuse Orange (9-6)
9) North Carolina Tar Heels (8-7)
10) Florida State Seminoles (6-9)
11) Boston College Eagles (6-10)
12) Virginia Tech Hokies (5-9)
13) Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (2-13)
14) Notre Dame Fighting Irish (2-13)
15) Louisville Cardinals (1-13)

2023 ACC Tournament schedule

Note: All times eastern.
*-Denotes approximate time.

First Round: Tues., March 7
Game 1: No. 12 seed vs. No. 13 seed | 2 p.m. | ACC Network
Game 2: No. 10 seed vs. No. 15 seed | 4:30 p.m.* | ACC Network
Game 3: No. 11 seed vs. No. 14 seed | 7 p.m.* | ACC Network

Second Round: Wed., March 8
Game 4: No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed | Noon | ESPN/ESPN2
Game 5: No. 5 seed vs. Game 1 winner | 2:30 p.m.* | ESPN/ESPN2
Game 6: No. 7 seed vs. Game 2 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPN2/ESPNU
Game 7: No. 6 seed vs. Game 3 winner | 9:30 p.m. | ESPN2/ESPNU

Quarterfinals: Thurs., March 9
Game 8: No. 1 seed vs. Game 4 winner | Noon | ESPN/ESPN2
Game 9: No. 4 seed vs. Game 5 winner | 2:30 p.m.* | ESPN/ESPN2
Game 10: No. 2 seed vs. Game 6 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPN/ESPN2
Game 11: No. 3 seed vs. Game 7 winner | 9:30 p.m.* | ESPN/ESPN2

Semifinals: Fri., March 10
Game 12: Game 8 winner vs. Game 9 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPN/ESPN2
Game 13: Game 10 winner vs. Game 11 winner | 9:30 p.m.* | ESPN/ESPN2

Championship: Sat., March 11
Game 14: Game 12 winner vs. Game 13 winner | 8:30 p.m. | ESPN

ACC tiebreakers

ACC Tournament Tiebreaker and Seeding Procedures

Seeding for the basketball championship will be determined by the regular-season Conference standings. In case of a tie, the following formula will be used:

a. When two teams are tied in the standings, regular season head-to-head results are used as the tiebreaker.

b. If the tied teams played each other twice in the regular season and split their games, then each team’s record against the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in case of a tie for first place, the next highest position in the regular-season standings) and then continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

• 1) When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tiebreaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.
  • 2) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against a team or group is unequal (e.g., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-3). If the winning percentage of the tied teams is equal against a team or group of tied teams, continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
c. If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedure will be used:
  • 1) The combined record in conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken and seeds assigned based on the winning
    percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is
    unequal (e.g., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).
  • 2) If procedure (1) fails to break the tie, then each tied team’s record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season
    standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage.
  • 3) If the tie is broken by (1) or (2) regarding one or more teams, but three or more teams remain tied, then procedures (1) and (2) will be re-applied among those tied teams only.
  • 4) If two teams remain tied, procedures (a) and (b) will be followed.
d. If there is more than one tie in the standings, and when using the tie-breaking procedures there are a pair of teams tied, a team’s record against the combined tied teams (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures) is used, rather than performance against the individual tied teams.

1COMMENTS
e. If procedures (b) and/or (c) fail to establish an advantage, a coin flip to break the tie will be conducted by the Commissioner after the final regular season game before the Conference championship.

f. If a coin flip or draw (for a three-or-more-team tie) is required, the procedure takes place immediately following the conclusion of the last regular-season game prior to the Conference championship. The procedure is administered by the Commissioner or a designated assistant. This session is open to the media and to athletics department representatives from the tied teams.

Other

RoseBoehm_ContributingWriter.jpg

Rosina Boehm | Contributing Writer

Central New York Regional Market offers fresh goods, no matter the season (DO; Boehm)

Even in the harsh Syracuse winters, the Central New York Regional Market continues to offer fresh, local produce to the community. Vendors like Joe Willis are just happy to still sell their goods.

“In the winter, for probably the last 30 years, I’ve brought the truck inside, so I don’t have to worry about freezing things,” said Willis, who owns a poultry farm. “I don’t have to worry about the empties (empty egg cartons) blowing around the market.”

Every Saturday, the market hosts local vendors and farmers from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Once November hits, the markets close their sheds to keep the market warm as they get through the winter. Between snow, rain or even below zero temperatures, staff members are equipped to open up the markets all year for those willing to bundle up and brave the elements, said Amanda Vitale, executive director of the market.

The market operates around two winter seasons: one from November to December, centered around the holidays, and another lasting from January to April focused on providing vendors an outlet to sell their products and give the consistent customers a place to find fresh produce, Vitale said. But bad winter weather still makes sales fall, said Dale Haas, another vendor at the market.

Willis is the third generation of his family to sell at the market. Alongside other farmers, Willis said he wished more people of the Syracuse community were aware of the fact that the market is open year-round.

To attract business, the market broadcasts the produce that will be on sale later that day on News Channel 3 every Saturday morning, and creates monthly newsletters to highlight vendors and give recipe inspiration for seasonal foods, Vitale said.

“One new thing that we’ve done the past couple years is starting to highlight our vendors and provide our vendors opportunities to educate the community about what they do and how they do it,” Vitale said. “I think community education, especially when it comes to agriculture in farmers markets, is really important, because I think it’s just so important to know and understand where your food is coming from.”

Another goal of these advertisements is to show the community that fresh fruits and vegetables are still available despite the weather, Vitale said. Some farmers, like Haas, keep some of their produce in cellars to keep them fresh, while others use hydroponics so vegetables can grow in a greenhouse environment.

The fact that we can (provide food) is just huge for the community because it provides food that's not only affordable but affordable if you're looking to use SNAP benefits, and it's here and it's available and it's so close to these vast food deserts.
-Amanda Vitale

Last edited: