Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Science Day!

National Science Day aims to inform people of the importance of science in their daily lives. It is celebrated all over India, including in schools at all grade levels, and at other academic, research, scientific, medical, and technical institutions. It is marked with public speeches, lectures, science films, science exhibitions, television and radio events, debates, quiz competitions, and more. The National Science Popularization Awards, a part of the day, recognize "outstanding efforts in the area of science and communication." Each year there is a different theme for the day.

SU News

After three straight losses, Syracuse returns home to face Georgia Tech: What to know (PS; $; Waters)

The Orange has been bruised a bit lately.

Duke, Clemson and Pittsburgh put the Orange in a squeeze over Syracuse’s last three games. Syracuse has lost three straight games in blowout fashion, falling to Duke, Clemson and Pittsburgh by margins of 22, 18 and 17 points, respectively.

The Orange will return home just in time to finish out the regular season with two games at the JMA Wireless Dome this week. Syracuse will host Georgia Tech on Tuesday night before playing Wake Forest in the highly-anticipated season finale at which the school will recognize the 2003 team on the 20th anniversary of its NCAA championship and also honor Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick by retiring their jerseys.

Syracuse (16-13 overall, 9-9 ACC) needs to win one of its last two games in order to secure a first-round bye in next week’s ACC tournament.

Georgia Tech has struggled to a 12-17 record this season. The Yellow Jackets are 4-14 in the ACC, but they have been playing better recently. Georgia Tech has won four of its last six games. The recent uptick comes after a 9-game losing skid.

Playing at home should help Syracuse. Although the Orange is just 4-4 in the ACC at home, Georgia Tech is 0-8 in conference road games.

This is the second meeting between the two teams. Syracuse beat Georgia Tech, 80-63, on Jan. 21 in Atlanta as Joe Girard scored 28 points.

JacobHalsema_SP_MBBvsNCState_February-14-2023_0056-scaled.jpg

Georgia Tech is one of the worst shooting teams in the ACC. Here’s what you need to know before it takes on Syracuse for the second time.

Opponent Preview: What to know about Georgia Tech before its 2nd game vs. Syracuse (DO; Alandt)

Syracuse followed up a three-game winning streak, including an upset win over then-No. 23 NC State, with a three-game losing streak — the third such streak of the season. It has allowed at least 14 3-pointers during that time and has looked lost in three consecutive double-digit losses that featured a complete defensive dismantling by its opponents. The Orange allowed a 21-2 run against Duke, then gave up at least 91 and 99 points to Clemson and Pittsburgh, respectively — the first time they’ve allowed 90 or more points in consecutive games since 2005-06.

They now welcome Georgia Tech to the JMA Wireless Dome, returning home for a much-needed reprieve from two straight away games against some of the top teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Though Syracuse is arguably playing its worst basketball of the season — with head coach Jim Boeheim confessing the Orange’s defense simply isn’t good enough — the Yellow Jackets enter with just a 4-14 conference record and lost by 17 points the last time they squared off with SU.

Before GT (12-17, 4-14 ACC) takes on Syracuse Tuesday night, here’s everything you need to know about the Yellow Jackets.

All-time series

Syracuse leads 7-6.

Last time they played

Syracuse bounced back from a devastating four-point loss to Miami with a commanding win over Georgia Tech on Jan. 21. The Orange hadn’t gotten out of the habit of starting slow and letting teams hang around or open up double-digit leads in the first half yet, and the Yellow Jackets capitalized on a sluggish shooting effort to crack open an 11-point lead.

The Orange shifted up toward the 3-point line too much, allowing the Yellow Jackets to cut inside on Jesse Edwards — who finished the first half with just four points and one rebound — and the rest of Syracuse struggled to grab many rebounds. Then, led by Joe Girard III and his eventual 28 points, the Orange enjoyed a 17-0 run and never looked back. Boeheim applied the full-court press, and Girard’s 3-pointer from about five feet behind the line late in the first half gave SU a 26-25 lead that it wouldn’t relinquish.

Beat writers agree that Syracuse will end losing streak with win over Georgia Tech (DO; Staff)

Syracuse dropped its third-straight game, 99-82, against Pitt on Saturday, allowing over 90 points for the second game in a row. The loss put the Orange at 9-9 in Atlantic Coast Conference play. There is still a chance they could play on the first day of the ACC Tournament, if they lose their next two games and Boston College wins its next two games.

Georgia Tech played SU back in January, with the Orange coming out on top, 80-63. Joe Girard III scored 28 points in 40 minutes — hitting 6-of-10 from 3-point range — and Maliq Brown added a career-high 18 points. Judah Mintz and Jesse Edwards added double-digit points, too. The loss was GT’s fifth in a row, and it proceeded to lose its next four — though it has won four of the past six games, including a 16-point win over Louisville on Saturday.

Here’s what our beat writers expect to happen when Syracuse hosts Georgia Tech on Tuesday night:

Anish Vasudevan (22-7)
Forward, march!
Syracuse 74, Georgia Tech 67

Finally, a game Syracuse is favored in! The Yellow Jackets have been a bottom-feeder in the ACC throughout the year, dropping nine straight games earlier in conference play. During that stretch, SU easily handled Georgia Tech, 80-63. I expect the Orange to replicate that success again.

Over the last month, the Yellow Jackets have been a much better team. They defeated Virginia Tech, a team SU lost to in late January, and most recently, they blew out Louisville 83-67. The Yellow Jackets scored 12 3-pointers during that game and could find the same success from deep again as the Orange have allowed 13 or more 3-pointers in their last three games. This is the time for SU to lock up defensively and limit a team’s offensive creativity like it was able to do earlier in the year. Meanwhile, its defense needs to get better as the game goes along, not worse.

Girard went off for 28 points this year against GT, but the biggest game-changer was Brown, who scored 18 points on 8-of-9 shooting. Brown only got six minutes against the Panthers and should see some more time in SU’s forward rotation on Tuesday. If Brown doesn’t step up, Williams needs to put together another strong performance, one that can aid the production of Girard, Mintz and Edwards. Jim Boeheim will play forward roulette with Brown, Williams, Chris Bell and Justin Taylor. At least one of them should score close to 20 points.

Connor Smith (24-5)
One small step
Syracuse 78, Georgia Tech 76

The Orange are in desperate need of a win, and the good news is that, according to KenPom’s rankings, Georgia Tech is the worst team that they’ll have faced since Louisville in early January. These two teams met later in January, with SU destroying the Yellow Jackets by 17. GT, though, was in the midst of a nine-game losing streak at that point. Since, it has won four of its past six games. Syracuse is still a strong favorite in this game, but I expect this one to be a lot closer than that meeting in Atlanta.

SU’s defense is at its worst right now, giving up over 90 points in its past two games for the first time since 2006. Boeheim is insistent that the only choice is to stick with the 2-3 zone until a second-half deficit is too large, thus necessitating the full-court press to come out. Luckily for Syracuse, Georgia Tech is one of the worst offensive teams in the ACC, and ranks 308th nationally, per KenPom, in effective field goal percentage. It gives the Orange’s defense a chance to take a step forward — though I expect that step to be a small one — and there will still be plenty of work to do ahead of Wake Forest and the conference tournament next week.

PRTE33BI7VFXFAPR2BH3UMEPFQ.JPG

Syracuse Orange forward Benny Williams (13) celebrates a three-pointer against the Pittsburgh Panthers at the Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, PA, Saturday February 25, 2023. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Benny Williams returns to starting lineup, scores 24: 'I'm proud of him' (PS; $; Ditota)

Last week, on a bus leg of a trip back from Clemson, Benny Williams learned from his head coach that he would return to Syracuse’s starting lineup.

“I was shocked,” he said. “I was just ready for the opportunity. Any time my team needs me to be out there on the floor, I’m gonna try my best to help our team win the game. It didn’t matter if I started or not.”

Williams started against Pittsburgh and played 34 minutes. He scored a career-high 24 points and grabbed nine rebounds. He shot 8-of-15 overall and 5-of-6 from the 3-point line in SU’s 99-82 loss to the Panthers.

Those 34 minutes were the most he’s played since Dec. 17, when he logged 36 minutes against Cornell in the Dome.

“He can shoot,” SU coach Jim Boeheim said, “but he’s gotta be able to make the pass high-low to Jesse, do some of that stuff. But he’s a very talented player. I’ve never thought he wasn’t. That’s why I started him all year. But he’s gotta play hard and he’s gotta do other things. He’s really worked hard to improve his shooting. His shooting is much better.”

Michael Carter-Williams making return to the NBA (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse point guard Michael Carter-Williams is back in the NBA after signing a contract with the Orlando Magic.

Orlando is 3.5 games out of the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. Carter-Williams appears to be a veteran presence that will play behind younger options like Cole Anthony and Markelle Fultz.

Carter-Williams played played portions of three seasons in Orlando between 2018 and 2021, including helping the Magic make a surprise playoff run in 2020.

The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported that the deal is a two-year agreement with a team option for the second year.

Carter-Williams increases the number of former Syracuse players in the NBA to five. He joins Jerami Grant, Oshae Brissett, Cole Swider and Buddy Boeheim.

Grant is one of the leaders on a Portland team that is in contention to make the playoffs in the Western Conference, while Brissett is a role player on an Indiana team also fighting to earn a spot. Swider and Boeheim have received limited time as rookies, spending more time in the G-League.

Hakim Warrick’s block has exalted status in Syracuse University basketball annals | Rochester Business Journal (RBJ; Pitoniak)

The “Nightmare on Bourbon Street” history lesson wasn’t imparted to him until after the game. And that was just as well, because if Hakim Warrick had known the eerily similar circumstances ahead of time, it only would have exacerbated the knee-knocking pressure he felt after missing two free throws in the waning seconds of Syracuse University’s NCAA basketball championship game in the Louisiana Superdome 20 Aprils ago.

“I already was feeling bad enough after that second free throw clanged off the rim,’’ he was saying recently by phone from suburban Las Vegas, where he is an assistant coach of an NBA development league team. “I’m glad I didn’t know what had happened in that very same building years earlier.”

What had happened in the 1987 NCAA championship game in New Orleans was the most painful moment in Orange hoops history. After Derrick Coleman missed a free throw, Indiana pushed the ball down the court and Keith Smart flung the dagger-in-the-heart jumper that prevented Syracuse from winning it first NCAA title.

Fortunately, Warrick didn’t know Keith Smart from Maxwell Smart and, after missing his second foul shot with just under 15 seconds remaining in the 2003 title game, he hustled down court hoping and praying the Orange could maintain their three-point lead and cut down the nets. Kansas whipped the ball around against SU’s patented 2-3 zone, and a pass found Jayhawks guard Michael Lee all alone in the corner — near where Smart had launched his infamous game-winner. Normally a forward, Warrick was playing center at the time, but he was thinking like a forward and sprinted toward Lee.

“When I started running toward him, I thought there was no way I was going to get there in time,’’ he recalled. “But as I got closer, I thought I might have a chance to at least contest the shot, and maybe even get a hand on it. I just had to make sure at the last moment to twist my body to the side, so I wouldn’t crash against him and foul him.”

Syracuse men’s basketball: Freshman Maliq Brown doesn’t need the ball to make an impact for the Orange (TNIAAM; Browne)

For a season where the Syracuse Orange (16-13) have underperformed, at least for what Hall of Famer head coach Jim Boeheim is used to, there were still some bright spots that the team and fans could look forward to. One of them is none other than freshman Maliq Brown. He spends most of his playing time at power forward standing at 6-foot-8. What noticeably stands out about the freshman is his athletic abilities and defensive instincts, which makes him able to guard all five positions on the floor.

A lot of his physical attributes were developed from playing football. The sport is actually a part of his DNA still to this day. His dad, older brother and cousins all played football. Before making a full transition to basketball in high school due to injuries, Brown aspired to be in the NFL one day and he glorified players like Michael Vick.

Brown’s football skills were on full display this season, which explains that bolting speed to beat everyone down the court in transition almost every time there was a fast break opportunity. The freshman has a high motor and it was felt even when he did not have plays drawn up for him. Whether it was his hustle running in transition, put back opportunities, rebounding, setting screens or playing defense, the forward always made an impact. These are the little things on the court that other players love to play with, but hate to play against. It’s also the things that may not show up in the stat sheet.

Where would Syracuse be seeded if the 2023 ACC tournament started today? (PS; $; Waters)

The ACC men’s basketball tournament will begin in just over a week from today in Greensboro, North Carolina, but the Syracuse Orange’s fate and seed are yet to be determined.

Syracuse is 16-13 overall and 9-9 in the ACC. With two regular-season games remaining, Syracuse could finish as high as seventh in the conference and as low as 10th.

The tournament will be played March 7-11 at the Greensboro Coliseum.

As of now, the Orange is in ninth place in the league standings. If the ACC tournament started today, Syracuse would open play as the No. 9 seed and face No. 8 seed Wake Forest in a second-round game on Wednesday, March 8.

The 8-9 game is scheduled for a noon tipoff. The Syracuse-Wake Forest winner would move on to face the tournament’s No. 1, which would be Pittsburgh. The Panthers are in sole possession of first place, a half-game ahead of Miami and one full game ahead of both Virginia and Clemson.

Adrian Autry "The 315" 2-27-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Syracuse men’s basketball Associate Head Coach Adrian Autry joins Brian Higgins to discuss why Syracuse’s losses have been by a wider margin lately, the changes in the starting lineup against Pittsburgh, and more.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 2-27-23 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve and Paulie start the show with their initial takeaways from Syracuse’s loss to Pittsburgh and where it leaves the Orange, plus some callers voice their thoughts. Then, a caller’s attempt at positivity leads the hosts to try and figure out what best case scenario is for SU in the ACC Tournament. Later, Steve shares a story about his love for LL Cool J before the guys discuss the chemistry lab that is Syracuse men’s basketball’s starting lineup.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Jim Boeheim's Zone No Longer Has What It Takes To Win on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Jim Boeheim's Zone No Longer Has What It Takes To Win

Syracuse Basketball: Many fans are fed up with SU playing a zone defense (itlh; Adler)

A lot of Syracuse basketball fans, these days, are angry, disappointed and frustrated with the state of the Orange program.

I get it. The ‘Cuse, at 16-17 in the 2021-22 stanza, endured its first losing season EVER under head coach Jim Boeheim, who is presently in his 47th year at the helm on the Hill.

What’s more, as Syracuse basketball (16-13, 9-9 in the ACC) prepares to host Georgia Tech on Tuesday night, the Orange is nowhere near the bubble for this spring’s Big Dance.

By extension, the ‘Cuse will likely have to string together numerous victories at the end of the 2022-23 regular season and in the upcoming ACC Tournament to warrant consideration for a berth in the NIT.

So, understandably, some Orange fans want to see Boeheim retire. That’s fair. And as I interact with fans on social media, my sense is that more and more of them are ready for the team to ditch the zone in favor of a man-to-man defense.

Many Syracuse basketball fans say it’s time for the Orange to drop the zone.

Okay, let’s provide a little context here. Heading into its Atlantic Coast Conference encounter with the Yellow Jackets, to date in 2022-23, the ‘Cuse is averaging 74.1 points per game while allowing 72.3 points, for a differential of plus-1.8 points per contest. That’s not good at all.

ACC News

Miami basketball splits ESPN ACC Tournament picks with Duke (canewarning.com; Rubenstein)

The Miami basketball team and Duke split the projections from four ESPN College Basketball analysts on who will win the ACC Tournament next weekend. Miami and Duke split their regular season meetings with each team winning on its home court. Miami can clinch the top seed in the ACC Tournament on Saturday,

The Miami basketball team hosts Pittsburgh in the final regular season game on Saturday at the Watsco Center. The winner between Miami and Pittsburgh will be the number seed in the ACC Tournament. Pittsburgh plays at Notre Dame on Wednesday. The only game for Miami this week is on Saturday.

Jeff Borzello and John Gassaway pick Miami to win the ACC Tournament. ESPN resident bracketologist Joe Lunardi and Byron Medcalf pick Duke to win the ACC Tournament. Lunardi has not updated his latest bracketology since Friday. Miami could drop after its epic collapse and loss to Florida State on Saturday.

The Miami basketball team fell from 13th to 16th in the AP Top 25 and from 11th to 15th in the USA Today Coaches Poll. that were released on Monday. Miami is the second-highest-ranked ACC team in each poll behind Virginia. The Cavaliers lost at Boston and College and North Carolina last week.

Keatts: 'We've got to come out and be NC State' vs. Duke :: WRALSportsFan.com )wralsportsfan.com; video)

NC State basketball coach addresses the media before the team's game at Duke.

MBB: How the ACC Gets 7 bids in 2023 (RX; HM)

MBB: How the ACC Gets 7 bids in 2023

What must happen for the ACC to get 7 NCAA bids? A lot...

Monday, Feb. 27th:

UNC must win at Florida State.

Tuesday, Feb. 28th:

Clemson probably needs to steal one at UVa.
Duke may need to beat NC State.
The other games may not matter...

Wednesday, March 1st:

Pitt needs to win at Notre Dame.

Saturday, March 4th:

Virginia needs to beat Louisville - by a lot.
Clemson needs to beat Notre Dame.
UNC probably needs to beat Duke.

It also wouldn't hurt if Oklahoma State, USC, Wisconsin, Mississippi St, Penn State, Utah State, Charleston, Texas Tech, Michigan, and New Mexico would all lose - that would really clear the path for Clemson and UNC.

Other

XNAE75PPORCLBLGGDOCJZPSPYI.JPG

The Taste of Buffalo is the largest two-day food festival in the United States. More than 450,000 people from all over the country gather on Delaware Avenue and Niagara Square to taste food from restaurants all over the city.Matthew Digati | NYup.com

3 Upstate NY food festivals, including one in Syracuse, nominated for best in the US (PS; Hernandez)

The experts of USA Today’s 10 Best contests are putting tastebuds to the test and looking for some of the best food festivals in America. Three events in Upstate New York are in the running.

With tastings and top rated cuisine, their contest for Favorite City Food Festival highlights 20 cities across the United States, including Buffalo and Syracuse.

In Buffalo, experts nominated the Taste of Buffalo as its deliciously curated food truck and restaurant scene. USA Today wrote that visitors will find regional specialties here in spades, from beef on weck to sponge candy, Buffalo wings, and New York state wines. The nomination also mentioned that the annual event raises scholarship money for college-bound students who are committed to studying hospitality and culinary arts.

Before the coronavirus pandemic, the Western New York event was known to draw upward of 450,000 people each year. The Taste of Buffalo website lists it as the largest two-day food festival in the U.S. and this year will be its 40th annual event.

See information on the 2023 Taste of Buffalo on their website.

Syracuse is also nominated in this category for their International Taste Festival. There has only been one International Taste Festival so far having debuted in 2021 in the Expo Center at the New York State Fairgrounds. USA Today experts wrote that it’s a great place to sample homegrown favorites as well food from around the globe, all for a reasonable price.

Syracuse residents moving out are house hunting in these cities (PS; $; Tampone)

Most people in Syracuse looking to buy a home in a new location are shopping in other places in New York, according to a recent list from Stacker.

The list uses data on cross-market demand and monthly inventory from Realtor.com. It is based on micropolitan and metropolitan areas, which include cities plus surrounding suburbs and towns, Stacker said.

The locations are ranked by view share, a Realtor.com statistic that measures interest in listings from one area to another. The statistic is based on views of for-sale listings on Realtor.com between different geographies.

At the top of Syracuse’s interest list is Utica. Listings there accounted for 8.9% of Syracuse’s views of Realtor.com listings in the fourth quarter of last year.

Eight of the places that saw the most interest from Syracuse were elsewhere in New York. The only non-New York locations on the list were Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and Tampa, Florida.

You can see the full list of places where people in Syracuse are shopping for new homes below. The list excludes views of listings within the Syracuse area. It’s only measuring interest in other locations.

You can read more on Stacker’s website.