Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Holocaust Remembrace Day!

Holocaust Remembrance Day, also known as Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day, Holocaust Day, and Yom HaShoah, is being observed today! It was observed on December 28th in 1949. It was observed on December 19th in 1950. It has been observed the 27th of Nisan in the Hebrew calendar since 1951.

SU News

5OWVZ42IPJANLN5VTPJ4QLBHZY.JPG

Chance Westry and his dad, Ersell Westry, visit the park at 4th and Emerald Streets in Harrisburg last March. Ersell told PennLive Wednesday his son has been offered a pro contract but may return to high school next season and go on to play in college. Vicki Vellios Briner | Special to PennLiveVicki Vellios Briner | Special to PennLive

Syracuse gets commitment from Auburn transfer Chance Westry (PS; Waters)

Four years ago, Syracuse offered Chance Westry a scholarship.

Westry was a freshman at Trinity High School in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania at the time. It was his first offer from a high major school.

After his sophomore year at Trinity, Westry would transfer to Sierra Canyon High School in Chatsworth, California, and then AZ Compass Prep in Phoenix, Arizona, before committing to Auburn University.

But four years later, Syracuse finally got Westry, as the Auburn transfer announced his commitment to the Orange on Monday.

Westry said he chose Syracuse because of the SU coaches’ long-standing belief in his ability.

“That’s a lot of years of a relationship,’’ Westry said Monday.

Westry picked Syracuse over Creighton, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Penn State.

ESPN.com rated Westry the No. 32 player in the 2022 recruiting class, but he struggled through an injury-hampered year in his one season with Auburn. He suffered a knee injury prior to the season and underwent arthroscopic surgery on Oct. 6.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/commitment-impact-chance-westry-to-syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball picked up a commitment from Auburn transfer guard Chance Westry on Monday. What does this move mean for the Orange?

THE PLAYER

Chance Westry is a long guard at 6-6 who can play as the lead guard or off the ball. His skill set is versatile enough to play on the wing as a small forward as well. Westry is great off the dribble, a willing passer to set up teammates for easy opportunities and is a natural scorer. He was a highly coveted recruit for a reason. Westry combines that length with supreme athleticism, excellent body control and quick feet. Developing a consistent three point shot along with continuing to get stronger are the areas of improvement that could take his game to the next level. Given his form on his jumper and willingness to work behind the scenes, those should come.

A 100% Chance: Westry Transfers to Syracuse (orangefizz.net; Ezeir)

Ah yes, the ultimate-play-on-words name is not just back in the picture, but is on next year’s roster portrait for the Orange. After choosing Auburn over Nebraska, Syracuse and LSU last year, and subsequently playing only nine minutes per game, the 6’6 combo guard has transferred to Cuse in year one of Adrian Autry’s head coaching reign.

NEWS: Auburn transfer Chance Westry has committed to Syracuse, a source tells @On3sports.

Redshirted this season. Former 4⭐️ recruit.

Story: Auburn freshman guard has picked transfer portal destination pic.twitter.com/oSNuPHnfJE
— Joe Tipton (@TiptonEdits) April 17, 2023
Westry’s first offer back in his high school days was the Orange, thanks to his lead recruiter, and new SU associate head coach, Gerry McNamara. But a program stockpiled with commits and returning guards seemed like an unlikely destination for a “I want to contribute now” scorer. Now with the departures of Joe Girard and Symir Torrence, plus the uncertainty that surrounds Judah Mintz’s return, Westry fits right into the mold and his desired role.

Auburn basketball transfer sends strong message on Syracuse coach: I ‘believe in’ what’s being built (flywareagle.com; Hughes)

Former Auburn basketball guard Chance Westry, who announced his decision to transfer to Syracuse on April 17, sent a strong message on his new head coach, first-year Orange head man Adrian Autry — pledging support for what is being built in Central New York.

“I believe in what Coach Autry is building,” Westry said (h/t ESPN). “He and his staff sold me on their level of commitment to helping me develop into the player I want to be. He knows that I’m coming in ready to work and hopefully help us get to the tournament and make a run.”

Westry appeared in 11 games for Auburn basketball during the 2022-23 season but only played double-digit minutes in five of them. All five of those appearances were in non-conference play. Westry’s career-high on the Plains was eight points against Colgate, which is coincidentally an hour away from University Hill.

Auburn basketball transfer Chance Westry outlines role he wants with Syracuse

Westry was seemingly brazen in his first comments post-Syracuse transfer, outlining the exact role he’ll want under Autry in his first season as a head coach in his 17-year coaching career.

“I’m prepared to take on any role that he and the staff feel will help put us in a position to win,” Westry prefaced before saying, “That being said, I feel like I’m most effective with the ball in my hands and with the freedom to create for others as well as myself. I pride myself on being a guy who makes his teammates better.”

Westry did say, though, that it was something that was previously discussed in Autry during his recruitment.

“Coach Autry and I discussed that a lot during my recruitment process,” Westry said. “He let me know that he has trust in me as a lead guard and that I’ll have opportunities to do what I feel like I do best.”

Adrian Autry on Year One goals at Syracuse: "We want to get back to our standard." (collegehoopstoday.com; Rothstein)

Adrian Autry on Year One goals at Syracuse: “We want to get back to our standard.”

Adrian Autry has yet to coach a game as Syracuse’s head coach, but he’s already completely focused on bringing the Orange back to national relevance.

When asked Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast what his goals were for his first season as Jim Boeheim’s successor, Autry — who’s served as an assistant on Syracuse’s staff since 2011 and the Orange’s associate head coach since 2016 — answered emphatically.

"Getting back to our standard,” Autry said. “Winning. Playing exciting basketball. Getting up and down. Sharing the basketball. The standard is 20 wins, 21 wins. Playing together and playing the style of basketball that we’re working on now.”

That style may not completely resemble what Syracuse fans are used to over the past 40 years.

Autry also said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast — with a laugh — that the Orange may play less of Boeheim’s vintage 2-3 zone defense moving forward.

"The zone has obviously been an iconic defense for Syracuse,” Autry said. “But in today’s game, the game has evolved and I think you have to be more versatile. We’ll be able to mix it up and play both — man-to-man and zone.”

The Orange are a combined 33-32 over the past two seasons and have missed the last two NCAA Tournaments.

Reinforcements are needed and Autry knows it.

Two of Syracuse’s top three scorers — Joe Girard and Jesse Edwards — entered the transfer portal while Judah Mintz is an early entrant for the 2023 NBA Draft. Edwards announced his commitment to West Virginia on Sunday.

Securing a commitment from Notre Dame transfer J.J. Starling (11.2 points) adds perimeter insurance if Mintz doesn’t return to school, but more firepower will need to be added if the Orange are going to compete for an NCAA Tournament berth in 2024.

“We need another big and another guard,” Autry said.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 4-17-23 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve and Paulie open the show reacting to the news that Jesse Edwards will be transferring to West Virginia. Then, a well-known caller chimes in with his thoughts on how NIL could impact the future of SU basketball. Lastly, Jordan comes in studio after a thrilling and historic moment occurs in the Supplemental Madness bracket.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Chance Westry Transfers To Syracuse + Completes A Loaded Guard Room on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Chance Westry Transfers To Syracuse + Completes A Loaded Guard Room

4KZ4ROMNVZGPDHVYBP76JXEAC4.jpg

Army coach Jeremy Pope diagrams a play during a time late in the gaem.Boeheim's Army take on The Nerd Team in their game in The Basketball Tournament at the SRC Arena on the OCC Campus. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

TBT will return to Syracuse this summer; the basketball venue has changed from OCC (PS; $; Ditota)

The Basketball Tournament will return to Syracuse this summer.

But this time, TBT teams will begin their quest for the winner-take-all $1 million prize money at a different venue.

The teams in the Syracuse regional will play in the Upstate Medical Arena at the Oncenter War Memorial from July 24-28.

Boeheim’s Army, the 2021 TBT champion, will act as the host team. Blue Collar U, a collection of former University of Buffalo players, won TBT in 2022 and will also play in the Syracuse regional.

The 64 teams chosen for the tournament can select which regions they prefer to play in. Because Boeheim’s Army is the host team and because Blue Collar U is the tournament’s defending champion, they both can automatically return to TBT in 2023.

OCC was the venue for the previous three TBT Syracuse regional tournaments, but the games will move to the Oncenter this year to accommodate larger crowds. Visit Syracuse will play a part in hosting the games at the Oncenter.

“We are excited to feature our last two TBT champions at the Syracuse Regional this year,” TBT founder and CEO Jon Mugar said in a statement. “Both Syracuse and Buffalo always bring elite teams and I’m sure the other six teams in the region will be just as eager. We’re looking forward to presenting this in partnership with War Memorial and Visit Syracuse.”

Syracuse, not Buffalo, to host TBT regional this summer (buffalonews.com; Lenzi)

The Basketball Tournament will return to New York, but it won't be coming to Buffalo this summer.
TBT announced Monday that Syracuse will host one of eight regionals in July. Upstate Medical Arena at the Oncenter War Memorial, the home facility for the AHL's Syracuse Crunch, will host the regional event, a year after Onondaga Community College hosted the event.

The Syracuse regional is scheduled for July 24-28, one of the hosts of the 64-team tournament whose winner earns $1 million in prize money.

Syracuse.com reported that Blue Collar U, the 2022 TBT champion whose roster includes University at Buffalo basketball alumni, will be one of the teams in the regional, along with Boeheim's Army, the 2021 TBT champion whose roster includes Syracuse basketball alumni.

UB and Blue Collar U supporters and boosters made a push to have Buffalo and Alumni Arena host a regional, but those efforts did not pan out. Instead, Blue Collar U will begin its TBT schedule in Syracuse for the second consecutive year; in 2021, Blue Collar U opened TBT play in Columbus, Ohio.

TBT regional tickets will go on sale May 1 to those on TBT's wait list, and then will go on sale to the general public May 4.

Three TBT regionals have already been announced: Louisville, Ky.; Wichita, Kan.; and Wheeling, W.Va.

MBB: Top 30 Programs of past 10 years (RX; HM)

MBB: Top 30 Programs of past 10 years

Which men's basketball programs are consistently the best in college sport? The ACC has had the top quality (with four of the top 10 programs listed here), but what about overall depth?

Top 30 programs the last 10 years according to CBK Coverage.

Thoughts on this list that @cbkcov made? pic.twitter.com/p7KaaYUhUf
— College Basketball Report (@CBKReport) April 16, 2023

Breakdown by Conference (Depth):

B1G (7): Michigan St, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana
XII (6): Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma, W Virginia, Kansas St
ACC (5): Duke, N Carolina, Virginia, Louisville, Syracuse
Big East (3): Villanova, UConn, Butler
Pac-12 (3): Arizona, Oregon, UCLA
SEC (2): Kentucky, Florida
American: Memphis, Cincinnati*
WCC: Gonzaga
* moving to the Big XII next year.

Bottom Line:

Had Maryland stayed in the ACC it would have been the inarguable #1 men's basketball conference - both in terms of championships and depth. As it is, the Big Ten is the deepest and the Big XII is moving up, but the ACC continues to hold its own in terms of NCAA Tournament wins and titles.

Other

Legacy_Pointe_Exteriors_sq2.jpg

Example of a McCormack Baron Salazar Project (mccormackbaron.com)

For historic remake of public housing, Syracuse turns to a firm with a track record and a heart (PS; $; Breidenbach)

The city of Syracuse had a challenge: It needed to replace more than 600 distressed, 85-year-old public housing units without scattering everyone who lives there.

What kind of developer could build something that still feels like home to some of the city’s most vulnerable residents and, at the same time, draw professionals to rent new market-rate apartments near downtown?

“Our concept is not to demolish and disperse,” Syracuse Housing Authority Director Bill Simmons said he told the candidates.

A company in Missouri had a solution.

None of this is a mystery to real estate developer Richard Baron. His company, McCormack Baron Salazar, has been doing this kind of work for 50 years.

The company has built a financial model that turns enough profit to support apartments of all rent prices in one neighborhood. It convinced the federal government, which has no appetite for building its own public housing anymore, to support it with grants and tax credits and to allow a private developer to be a landlord on public land.

That was a long time ago. The company has repeated the pattern in Baron’s hometown of St. Louis; Rust Belt cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Dayton; big cities like San Antonio and San Francisco; and hurricane-ravaged New Orleans and Puerto Rico.

GOX7OQ3NURAMTJWLITUJL4CS5M.JPG

Dogs enjoy some baseball during “Bark in the Park” night as Syracuse takes on Buffalo at NBT Bank Stadium, Syracuse, N.Y., Wednesday Sept. 29, 2021. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Bark in the Park, Syracuse Fashion Week, Upstate Eats!, Toyfest: 16 things to do in CNY this week (PS; $; Croyle)

It is another full week of activities in Central New York. If you are looking for some live music, you can check out Chicago at the Turning Stone, Brit Floyd, a Pink Floyd tribute act, and Little Feat are at the Crouse Hinds Theater, and Jay Ungar and Molly Mason are performing at the Folkus Project. Dan Navarro is at the 443 Social Club. There will be live local theater with “Panacea” and “Aktion.” Other entertainment options include Syracuse Fashion Week, the first “Bark in the Park” at NBT Stadium, and a “Toyfest” and Country Folk Art Show at the New York State Fairgrounds.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at least two weeks in advance at features@syracuse.com.

Monday

Little Feat: Boogie Your Spring Away Tour

Little Feat blends many musical styles and genres, including California rock, funk, jazz, country, and New Orleans swamp boogie to name a few, together into something distinctive. They will be performing at the OnCenter Crouse Hinds Theater on Monday night. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster.

Where: 421 Montgomery Street, Syracuse

When: Monday at 8 p.m.

How much: Tickets start at $30 plus fees.

“THIS IS SYRACUSE: Windows into the Community”

Curators from the Graduate Program in Museum Studies at Syracuse University is pleased to present a new exhibition at the MUSe Lab Gallery. “THIS IS SYRACUSE: Windows into the Community” showcases a selection from the diverse peoples, creative and scholarly activities, and landmark institutions that help make Syracuse, Syracuse. The collected stories of these communities will be on display for the rest of April. They are illustrated through a diverse array of objects and images, to the voices of the sizable population of international students, and Irish cultural objects representing one of the most established heritage communities in the city. Archival representations of established and beloved Syracuse landmarks are also explored, including regional favorites Green Lakes State Park, the Great New York State Fair, and Heids restaurant on Onondaga Lake. A reception on Monday from 6 to 8 p.m. is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom