Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
da9ae14d-a5e2-4211-b876-4dccc3b8e71d-Slurpee_Day_Hero.png
Welcome to Seven Eleven (Slurpee) Day!

Free 7-Eleven Slurpees are here just in time to fend off this summer's heat wave.

In honor of the convenience store chain's 96th birthday on Tuesday, 7-Eleven is giving everyone a free small Slurpee drink at participating 7-Eleven, Speedway and Stripes stores that day. This is the 21st consecutive year of the giveaway promotion that has become a summer staple.

Here's a secret: You don't have to wait until Tuesday to get a freebie. You can get also get a free small Slurpees on Monday if you are a member of the 7Rewards or Speedy Rewards loyalty program. You can get it inside the the rewards apps (while supplies last).

SU News

Brent Axe can’t prove Jim Boeheim had him fired but 'will go to my grave believing it was done to appease him' (awfulannouncing.com; Keeley)

While the retirement of longtime Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim was the biggest story to come out of Central New York this spring, a close second was what happened afterward involving local radio host Brent Axe.

Axe, a longtime Syracuse radio host who had been the cornerstone of ESPN Radio Syracuse’s lineup, was fired just a week after Boeheim’s announcement. The reason given by Galaxy Media Partners CEO Ed Levine was that Axe was being “overly negative” about Syracuse (which he was an alumnus of) and that he was part of an “agenda” related to Axe’s other job with Syracuse.com.

“I had a problem with the content of the show,” Levine said. “I’m an SU fan. I’m sorry, but I bleed Orange. I’m not going to apologize for that, and I think a fair reading of the Orange is appropriate. I understand (Galaxy has) a business relationship (with Syracuse), that Coach (Jim) Boeheim and I are personal friends and he’s an investor in my company.
“I understand and acknowledge all of that. We’ve called it pretty fair, and I would argue we’ve been tough on SU when the on-field or off-field events warrant it. I just think over the past six months it took a different tone and became overly dark and negative. I don’t think that’s what Syracuse fans want to hear.”
…“Brent is a full-time employee of Syracuse.com,” Levine said. “I believe Syracuse.com has an agenda in regards to Syracuse University. I don’t know what that agenda is, but that agenda was manifesting itself on our airwaves. We have no agenda. We’re in business with Syracuse University, but we call it straight down the line. What I said to Brent was I wish he covered Syracuse University with the same affection that he covered the Buffalo Bills.”

At the time, Axe told Syracuse.com’s Chris Carlson that “I had a responsibility to give an honest, fair, and thorough opinion to my audience” and that he didn’t “regret anything about the approach of the show. We put listeners on the air, and we gave them the opportunity to say what they needed to say.”

It was also noted that the historically thin-skinned Boeheim was part of an ownership group that bought a stake in Galaxy. Given that the curmudgeonly head coach was notorious for disliking media criticism, it wasn’t hard for many to put two-and-two together and think this was some kind of revenge. That it was some kind of punishment for the perception that Axe was part of the reason his legendary coaching career came to a close abruptly. Especially when the station has just announced that Boeheim would soon begin making more regular on-air appearances, not to mention that one of his final press conferences was dedicated to calling out people on sports radio shows.

JR6HQDPF7BB7ZBKGFYMHL5VPCI.jpg

Anthony doesn’t fear following in his father’s legendary Syracuse shadow (video) (PS; $; Waters)

Last November, Kiyan Anthony thought he was taking a father-son trip to see a football game at his dad’s alma mater.

Anthony, then a high school sophomore, came with his father, Carmelo, to watch Syracuse play Florida State at the JMA Wireless Dome.

“I thought I was just going to go watch Syracuse and cheer for my dad’s alma mater,’’ Anthony said.

But the night turned memorable when Jim Boeheim offered the younger Anthony a scholarship to play basketball at Syracuse.

“When the coaches came up to me and finally offered me a scholarship, I was really in a star-struck moment because he went there, he won a national championship there,’’ Anthony said. “So me having an opportunity to think that I could go there and follow in his footsteps, it’s a great feeling.’’

Anthony spoke with syracuse.com | The Post-Standard after playing for Team Melo, his father’s AAU club, at the prestigious Peach Jam last Friday.

Anthony, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard, will be a junior at Long Island Lutheran High School in the fall. He now holds scholarship offers from the likes of Florida State, Michigan, Indiana, Tennessee and Providence in addition to Syracuse.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star point-guard recruit erupts for 44 points in AAU (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2025 target Jerry Easter II recently moved to five stars according to ESPN, and he sure has played like a five-star prospect on the AAU circuit this spring and summer.

The 6-foot-6 point guard, a consensus top-45 national prospect in the rising-junior class, has been playing up a division for the 17U squad of the Columbus, Ohio-based All Ohio Red in Nike’s EYBL league.

During the EYBL’s regular season, Easter was named to The Circuit’s All-Event third team, as he averaged 17.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game.

Peach Jam : We caught up with ‘25 Jerry Easter II following his 44-point outburst and talked about his game, things he’s working on, making the move to @LaLuBasketball, the latest with his recruitment, his off-court personality, hobbies, and more (sound on).@all_ohio |… pic.twitter.com/8Bxto5EdwF
— Pro Insight (@_proinsight) July 9, 2023

By extension, in recent days, as the EYBL wrapped up its annual Peach Jam tournament, Easter proved one of the event’s top scorers, and he even dropped a ridiculous 44 points in one encounter.

Syracuse basketball 2025 five-star recruit Jerry Easter II is a prolific scorer in his cycle.

From July 3 to July 9, the 2023 Peach Jam transpired at the Riverview Park Activities Center in North Augusta, S.C. All Ohio Red participated in the Peach Invitational Tournament (“PIT”), going 4-4 overall.

Syracuse men’s basketball: Orange’s 2024 recruits finish strong weekend (TNIAAM; Wall)

Syracuse Orange men’s basketball fans haven’t had a lot to get excited about, but with Adrian Autry’s early recruiting returns that might be changing.

Two major AAU showcases were held this past weekend and the two 2024 committed Orange recruits delivered strong performances. At the Nike EYBL Peach Jam, Donnie Freeman helped lead Team Takeover to the title with a 76-61 win over Vegas Elite. Freeman was named to the tournament’s first team after averaging 12.9 points and 5.4 rebounds per game and doing things like this.

Peach Jam First Team

Donnie Freeman | 2024 | Team Takeover (DC)

12.9 PPG
40.0 3PT%
5.4 RPG
1.4 APG

Full Awards ⤵️Peach Jam: All-Circuit Teams @DonavanFreeman1 @TTOBasketball @SJCBoysHoops @SCNext @NikeEYB pic.twitter.com/ZcYv0cS2bb
— The Circuit (@TheCircuit) July 9, 2023

At the Adidas 3SSB event in South Carolina, fellow 2024 commit Elijah Moore had two 30-point games for his NY Wiz Kids squad. Moore was a threat from three-point range and as Autry looks to return Syracuse to the fast-paced high-scoring program of the past, this duo could help electrify the Dome.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 7-10-23 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve and Paulie are back for an action-packed Monday show! They open by reacting to Jon Rothstein’s surprising preseason ranking of where Syracuse men’s basketball stands in the ACC. Then, a caller chimes in with his thoughts on how Paulie’s Padres looked against the Mets this weekend and some guys that could make a leap for SU hoops next year. Finally, the guys stage an impromptu Galaxy Media Home Run Derby Hat Pool that predictably goes off-the-rails.

Other

LZAFYHRCLBA3DKLPMCEQYCOY3A.jpg

A concept drawing for apartments off East Seneca Turnpike in the town of Onondaga (Courtesy of Keplinger Freeman Associates LLC)

Syracuse developer proposing 96 apartments in complex along busy corridor near Jamesville (PS; $; Doran)

A Syracuse developer wants to build a 96-unit apartment complex off Route 173 near Jamesville in the town of Onondaga.

CBD Companies, which has built properties in the Syracuse area such as Haylor, Freyer & Coon insurance offices, Fleet Feet in Clay, Vine & Barrel in Camillus, is the developer.

CBD, also known as Route 173 Enterprises, bought the land at 5865 E. Seneca Turnpike from the First Baptist Church of Syracuse in Jamesville, said Christian Freeman of Keplinger Freeman Associates, the project’s architects. The developer paid $400,000 for 13.57 acres, according to documents filed in the Onondaga County clerk’s office.

The Islamic Society of Central New York also bought land from the church that abuts the site of the proposed apartments. The society isn’t involved in the apartment project, Freeman said.

The proposal calls for constructing four three-story apartment buildings on the wooded parcel across from the Crown Point development. It would be called Onondaga Heights and would include a mix of apartment sizes, along with separate covered garages.

The concept will be presented at the 7 p.m. meeting today of the town of Onondaga zoning board. The applicant will need a special permit from the zoning board to allow for seven units per acre.

FCG55H4OBRCLJNEQE7J23YQQNI.jpg

FILE - An aurora borealis, also known as the northern lights, is seen in the night sky in the early morning hours of Monday, April 24, 2023, near Washtucna, Wash. A solar storm forecast for Thursday, July 13, is expected to give skygazers in more than a dozen American states a chance to glimpse the Northern Lights. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, File) AP

Northern Lights visible in NY, more states this week: How to see aurora borealis (PS; Herbert)

Northern Lights may soon be visible in New York state again due to a solar storm.

Northern Lights, also known as aurora borealis, could be visible in 17 U.S. states on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. The colorful spectacle is typically seen in Alaska, Canada and Scandinavia, but the lights will be visible in more places due to solar wind hitting the atmosphere as part of an 11-year solar cycle that will peak in 2024, according to the Associated Press.

When to see Northern Lights

Arcs and spirals of glowing lights may be visible between 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 12, and 2 a.m. Thursday, July 13, local time in Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Indiana, Maine and Maryland, according to a forecast from the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska at Fairbanks. Auroral activity also has been forecast for Canada, including Vancouver.

Best times may vary, based on moonlight and weather, as the brightness of the moon can make it harder to see the Northern Lights — and clouds could cover up the show altogether. Wednesday night’s weather forecast currently looks to be partly cloudy in the Syracuse area.

Aurora borealis is harder to see closer to sunset and sunrise, making the middle of the night typically the best time.

You can also check an animated forecast Wednesday morning to find peak times in your area.

How to see Northern Lights

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)’s Space Weather Prediction Center said people wanting to experience Northern Lights should get away from city lights and find a dark viewing spot. Look to the sky, north on the horizon.

No telescope or special equipment is needed. Auroral activity will be moderate, according to the Geophysical Institute; a geomagnetic index of Kp 6 (on a scale of 0-9) has been forecast for Thursday.