Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Lemon-Meringue-Pie-Day-696x348.jpg

Welcome to National Lemon Meringue Pie Day!

National Lemon Meringue Pie Day is dedicated to the popular dessert, lemon meringue pie. Traditionally, the pie has three components: shortcrust pastry, lemon custard filling, and a meringue topping. These components are in this order, with the meringue on top and the pastry crust on the bottom, and there is no top crust. Lemon has been a flavor for custards and puddings since Medieval Times, but it was not until the 17th century that meringue was invented, being done so in the Swiss village of Meiringen. Meringue usually consists of egg yolks, lemon zest, sugar, and sometimes starch. Lemon meringue pie was invented in the 19th century, with early recipes coming from Romandy, a western part of Switzerland, and possibly Dorset in South West England.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Adrian Autry thinks the ‘Cuse backcourt can be elite (itlh; Adler)

First-year Syracuse basketball head coach Adrian Autry feels that his ‘Cuse backcourt in the upcoming campaign can be an excellent one, according to a national analyst.

In a tweet published on Monday afternoon, Stadium analyst Jeff Goodman wrote, “Syracuse coach Red Autry told me he’ll play a ton of man-to-man defense this season. Also feels as though his backcourt of Judah Mintz/JJ Starling can be elite.”

Now, in all fairness, the Orange backcourt extends beyond sophomore point guard Mintz and sophomore guard Starling, a Central New York native who transferred to the ‘Cuse from Notre Dame this off-season.

NEW Syracuse coach Red Autry told me he’ll play a ton of man-to-man defense this season.
Also feels as though his backcourt of Judah Mintz/JJ Starling can be elite.
We’ll have a full write-up of the Orange and every single D-1 program in The Almanac:The Almanac
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) August 14, 2023

In the 2023-24 term, Syracuse basketball has 13 scholarship players, and its guard rotation consists of Mintz; Starling; sophomore guard/wing Chance Westry, a transfer from Auburn; redshirt sophomore guard Kyle Cuffe Jr., a transfer from Kansas; sophomore guard/wing Justin Taylor; and sophomore guard/wing Quadir Copeland.

That’s a lot of new faces in the backcourt, and it’s also a relatively young group of guards. At the same time, on paper, this is a talented bunch. Starling was a five-star, top-25 prospect. All of the rest of them were four stars, and both Mintz and Westry were in the top 40 nationally.

Syracuse Basketball: Soaring big-man recruit, nearing 5 stars, eyes visits (itlh; Adler)

Four-star big man Nikola Bundalo from Ohio, who received a scholarship offer from Syracuse basketball this spring, is one of the fastest-rising prospects nationwide in the 2025 class, according to recruiting analysts and scouts.

It wasn’t that long ago that the 6-foot-9 power forward was unranked in the rising-junior cycle. However, as Bundalo has shined on the AAU circuit and at other showcase events in recent months, he has vaulted into the top 25, per both the industry-generated 247Sports Composite and 247Sports.

He’s perhaps on his way toward eventually attaining five-star status in the 2025 class. Bundalo’s offer list, understandably, continues to expand, with some impressive suitors having recently gotten into the mix for him.

According to several recent interviews that he’s given with national analysts, Bundalo is also starting to give some thought to mapping out campus visits. As far as I can tell, he doesn’t have a visit to the Hill in mind at this juncture, but I’ll continue to track Bundalo’s recruiting process.

Syracuse basketball offered a scholarship to 2025 four-star big man Nikola Bundalo in May.

Besides the ‘Cuse, Bundalo’s growing offer sheet includes UCLA, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Creighton, Purdue, Notre Dame, Ohio, Texas Tech, Penn State, Nebraska, Georgetown, Cincinnati, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Seton Hall, Xavier, Rutgers, Kent State and Bryant.

Per some recent reports, Bundalo is garnering interest from other schools as well, including Michigan State. In a recent interview with On3 national analyst Jamie Shaw, Bundalo said that he would like to get an offer from North Carolina, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Tar Heels end up offering him at some point.

Former Syracuse radio host Brent Axe moves forward with new podcast: 'It was time' (awfulannouncing.com; Keeley)

The biggest news to come out of Syracuse last year was the retirement of longtime Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim, but what happened next to radio host Brent Axe was a pretty close second.

Axe was fired by Galaxy Media Partners and ESPN Syracuse just a week after Boeheim’s announcement, with Galaxy Media Partners CEO Ed Levine admitting that the decision was because the radio host was being “overly negative” about Syracuse basketball, adding that he thought it was part of an “agenda” related to Axe’s other job with Syracuse.com. It was also worth noting that Boeheim, who was notoriously thin-skinned when it came to media criticism, owned a stake in Galaxy. Plus, Levine had recently promoted upcoming Galaxy content from Boeheim, with “much more is on tap,” including perhaps even a Boeheim-hosted talk show.

Axe broke his silence on the firing last month, saying that while he couldn’t prove Boeheim had him fired, he fully believes it was done to “appease him.”

“When Ed Levine talked on the record to Syracuse.com and the reasons for firing me, I mean, that is almost word-for-word what he said to me when it was an inquiry about Jim Boeheim that set him off with that,” Axe told Jon “JAG” Gay on the WJPZ at 50 podcast. “I can’t prove it. I can’t prove it was done as an order by Jim Boeheim. To use a mafia term, JAG, if he ordered the hit or not. I can’t prove that. But I will go to my grave believing it was done as a hat-tip to Boeheim.”

The 3 biggest issues SU sports faces this decade (podcast) (PS; podcast; Axe)

Hello, friends.

I’m excited to announce “Syracuse Sports,” a new podcast that will cater to die-hard Orange fans.

Episodes will focus on the coaches, athletes, games and issues local sports fans are most passionate about.

The show will be packed with analysis, insight and opinions on Orange basketball and football that listeners have come to expect from me over 25 years as a leading sports commentator in the region.

I’ll be joined by a rotating cast of guests that include the award-winning staff at Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard, former Syracuse athletes and high-wattage names in the national media.

And, we want to hear from you!

If you have an idea for the show or got a burning question you want answered, you can write me at baxe@syracuse.com and find me on Twitter/X @brentaxemedia or Threads @brent_axe.

The “Syracuse Sports” voicemail line is 315-552-1964. Leave us a message anytime and it could be featured on a future episode.

The first episode examines the three most-pressing issues facing Syracuse sports this decade.

Other

3NHD4J7DQFCLFAJUZQY4SNAW5A.JPG

The Adirondack Scenic Railroad offers views of fall foliage on its Utica to Thendara line, Utica, NY, Friday, September 30, 2016., Scott Schild | sschild@newyorkupstate.com

New Adirondack High Peaks train ride to run during fall foliage season from Central NY (PS; Hernandez)

It will be the most colorful time of the year before we know it, Upstate New York and a new set of peak fall foliage activities in the Adirondack Mountains await you.

The Adirondack Railroad launched new train rides this summer which will take autumnal adventures to the next level. In fact, it will take you all the way to the High Peaks.

Regularly scheduled rail service by “The Mountaineer” will run from Old Forge / Thendara, NY to Tupper Lake and return. On select dates during the late Summer and the Fall foliage season, this train will include “High Peaks Limited” trips departing from Utica, turning around in Tupper Lake, for an 11-hour round trip service through the beautiful countryside.

This select service will feature a domed observation car originally operated in scenic rail service to the West Coast by the Union Pacific Railroad to get maximum views of the autumn leaves.

Tickets are on sale now and range from $75-$165 depending on which three classes of accommodations guests choose.

There will also be shorter two-hour trips from Tupper Lake to Sabattis, traveling southbound out of the historic village of Tupper Lake. Travelers will encounter a lattice truss bridge built in the late 1800′s and many historic ruins of past mountain communities. There will also be views of popular Mt Arab as you wind past Adirondack lakes, wildlife, and ledge rock carved by ancient glaciers.

Goo Goo Dolls, Elephant Extravaganza, Cars by the Lake: 14 things to do this week in Central NY (PS; Croyle)

As you are reading this, the New York State Fairgrounds are be readied for the annual New York State Fair, which gets underway on August 23. But between now and then, Central New York has more than enough to offer to pass the time. The St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview has one of its busiest weeks, with four concerts starting with the Goo Goo Dolls and O.A.R. on Wednesday. On Saturday, the Rosamond Gifford Zoo celebrates its elephant herd and their homeland with its annual Asian Elephant Extravaganza, Syracuse’s Inner Harbor is hosting a Family FunFest organized by area churches, and the Everson Museum of Art is offering a free Community Day which wraps up with Freedom Fest 2023 and an outdoors showing of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.” Clift Park on Skaneateles Lake will be hosting its first ever “Cars by the Lake,” a celebration of rare and historic automobiles.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at least two weeks in advance at features@syracuse.com.

Wednesday

Goo Goo Dolls

Johnny Rzeznik of Goo Goo Dolls performs at the Taylor booth at The NAMM Show at Anaheim Convention Center on January 18, 2020, in Anaheim, California. (Daniel Knighton/Getty Images)

Goo Goo Dolls

The Goo Goo Dolls and O.A.R. kick off a busy week at the St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview. The bands’ “The Big Night Out” tour comes to town on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Tickets starting at $36 are available at Live Nation. The Goo Goo Dolls are known for hits like “Iris,” “Slide,” and “Broadway.” O.A.R. is best known for 2008′s “Shattered (Turn the Car Around.” The Amp also hosts concerts this week by Yellowcard on Thursday, Ghost Re-Imperatour U.S.A. on Friday, and Parker McCollum on Saturday.

Where: 490 Restoration Way, Syracuse

When: Wednesday at 7 p.m.

How much: Tickets start at $36 plus fees.