Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1695645684641-jpeg.231598

Welcome to National Comic Book Day!

Today is a day to celebrate the popular entertainment and collector's item, the comic book. The first American comic book is seen as being Famous Funnies, which was released in 1933, although many books and comics predated it and helped lead to its creation. For example, an 1842 hardcover book titled The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck was made up of comics. In the early 20th century periodicals that contained comics were printed in the United States. American comic books are divided into different eras. In 1938, the release of Superman launched the Golden Age of comic books. Superhero comics were introduced and very popular for most of this era. The Silver Age is seen as beginning with the introduction of Flash in 1956, which led to a rejuvenation in superhero comic books. The Fantastic Four and Spider-Man came about during this era, and the era lasted until sometime in the early 1970's, when the Bronze Age began, which lasted until the mid-1980's. From the end of the Bronze Age until the present day is known as the Modern Age. Non-mainstream comic books such as underground comix sprang up in the 1960's, followed by alternative comics in the 1980's. Comic book stores became popular in the 1970's, and comic book conventions are another way that collectors and comic book fans have connected and enjoyed their hobby.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Chance Westry says he’s ready to have a big season (itlh; Adler)

Chance Westry, who transferred to Syracuse basketball this off-season, said in a recent interview that he’s “ready to play the best basketball of my life.”

The 6-foot-6, 190-pound Westry, who hails from Harrisburg, Pa., is a sophomore guard/wing at the ‘Cuse. He was a former long-time recruiting target of the Orange but ended up playing his freshman year at Southeastern Conference member Auburn.

Westry only appeared in 11 games for the Tigers during the 2022-23 season, averaging 9.3 minutes and 2.5 points per contest. He dealt with a knee injury as a freshman.

In an interview with TJ Smith of PennLive, Chance Westry said in part, “This season is big for me. I have high expectations of myself and am glad to be back where I was at a year ago before surgery. I’m ready to play the best basketball of my life.”

It’s a joy to read that. I was always a big, big fan of Westry. I was bummed when the ‘Cuse didn’t prevail in his high-school recruitment, but I am excited to watch him suit up in the 2023-24 campaign for the Orange. I believe he can have a major role in the ‘Cuse backcourt this coming season.

Syracuse basketball 4-star priority recruit will ‘definitely’ take SU official visit (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball has offered scholarships to at least 16 prospects in the 2025 class, and it seems that four-star forward Sadiq White from the Charlotte, N.C., area is emerging as a priority recruit for the Orange in this cycle.

Last weekend, the 6-foot-8 White took an unofficial visit to the Hill, and according to a report from SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, that trip went quite well. White, a consensus top-40 national prospect in the junior cycle, told McAllister that he will “definitely” take an official visit to the ‘Cuse at some point in the future.

Obviously, that’s encouraging to hear. That being said, numerous high-major programs are pursuing White, who is a standout for the powerhouse Myers Park High School in Charlotte.

Syracuse basketball is recruiting 2025 four-star forward Sadiq White hard.

In addition to his recent unofficial visit to Syracuse basketball, on September 20, ‘Cuse assistant coach Brenden Straughn was at Myers Park to check out White during an open gym amid the fall recruiting period, per a post on X from Nick Jones, who is an assistant coach at Myers Park.

Ohio St HC Chris Holtmann and Syracuse AC Brenden Straughn were in to see 6’8 F 25’ @SadiqWhite11 this morning.@MyersPark_Hoops pic.twitter.com/8SXVSoIKzS
— Nick Jones (@CoachJonesMPB) September 20, 2023

The Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to White in late April of this year. His offer sheet, besides Syracuse basketball, also includes Ohio State, Georgetown, N.C. State, Tennessee, Texas, Cincinnati, Florida State, Georgia, Illinois, LSU, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Alabama, among others.

Per the 247Sports Web site and media reports, Duke is also showing interest in White, who earned high marks from national analysts and scouts for his play this spring and summer on the AAU circuit while suiting up for the Charlotte-based Team United in Nike’s EYBL league.

CBB Rank No. 55 to 51: What does a new era of Syracuse basketball entail? (youtube; podcast; CBR)

The guys — joined by Mat this time — are back at CBB Review Studio to review teams 55-51 in the site’s top 100 team countdown! - Will Grant McCasland attempt to make his slow tempo work at a new job in Texas Tech? - Will Oklahoma State’s young front court be able to hang in the Big 12? - How will Syracuse adjust to not having Jim Boeheim on the sidelines? - What should Ohio State’s ceiling be as a program? - Is New Mexico arguably the best team in the Mountain West?

Arinze Onuaku talks Syracuse basketball

GAO56FMTYRDGNKAOU5LTXMHRFI.JPG

Kiyan Anthony, the son of former Syracuse basketball star Carmelo Anthony, has signed an NIL deal with the PSD underwear brand. Photo courtesy PSD

Former Syracuse basketball star Carmelo Anthony’s son, Kiyan, signs NIL deal with underwear brand (PS; $; Waters)

Kiyan Anthony, the son of former Syracuse University basketball star Carmelo Anthony, has signed an NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) deal with the PSD underwear brand.

Kiyan Anthony, a 6-foot-4 junior at Long Island Lutheran High School, is considered a Top 50 prospect in the 2025 recruiting class. He is rated the No. 38 player in the ‘25 class by 247Sports.com and ranks No. 41 on ESPN.com’s listings for the class. He has received a scholarship offer from Syracuse along with several other major college programs.

This is Anthony’s first NIL endorsement deal. PSD, a self-described premium underwear brand, has agreements with several other prominent athletes, including NBA stars Jimmy Butler, Ja Morant and Trae Young. Bronny James, the son of NBA star LeBron James and a current freshman at USC, also has a deal with PSD.

Other

Another original Salt City Market food stall to depart as search continues for new vendors (PS; $; Cazentre)

A smoothie and juice bar that was one of the original vendors at downtown Syracuse’s Salt City Market will close in November, setting up another opening for a new food stall operator.

Farm Girl Juicery will be the third of the market’s ten original vendors to leave its space when it closes Nov. 12. In this case, owner Abigail Henson is closing the stall to have a baby.

The Salt City market, operated by the nonprofit Allyn Family Foundation’s Syracuse Urban Partnership, opened at 484 S. Salina St. in January 2021.

The Farm Girl location is what the market calls a “micro” stall, with 100 square feet of space. It does not have an exhaust hood, so it can’t accommodate cooking methods that require one. It can be used for baking, salad- and sandwich-making, smoothies etc.

AlexanderZhiltsov_CP_FoodieFest_September-23-2023_001-scaled.jpg

Alexander Zhiltsov | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse Food Trucks Foodie Fest celebrates local, international cuisine (DO; Hudson)

Dozens of food trucks rolled out to the New York State Fairgrounds on Saturday to share their diverse dining options at the annual Syracuse Food Trucks Foodie Fest. From Greek gyro to Italian ice, the festival brought cuisines from across the world to central New York, along with some local favorites.

The Syracuse Food Truck Association organized the event, which is their last of 2023. Every truck offered at least one item that cost $5 or less, so that customers were able to sample as many of the trucks as possible.

Rory Poole, the owner of the Saltin’ the City food truck, said the event was a good way for foodies in the region to have a place to meet and share their passion in a relaxed, welcoming environment.

“I come really to see the people, and I was hoping to get the name out. Today’s not really about making the money for me,” Poole said. “I think it’s good for people to be able to have someplace to go take your kids.”

Saltin’ the City sells chicken spiedies, a dish that originated in Binghamton, NY. To make the spiedies, he marinates one-inch chunks of chicken for several days before grilling them on a skewer. Poole is originally from Elmira, near Binghamton, and chose to serve spiedies because of the local connection.

Poole has been a cook for more than 25 years, and currently works as a cook manager for the Syracuse City School District during the week. He operates the truck on weekends and described it as a passion project.

“This is my peace of mind. I do it all day long,” Poole said.

Other vendors included Elm Street Taco, a horror-themed Mexican truck with images of classic slasher movie characters painted on its side, and Oompa Loompyas, which specializes in a Filipino dish called lumpia.