Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Pizza-and-Beer_418089142-.jpg

Welcome to International Beer and Pizza Day!

International Beer and Pizza Day celebrates the food combination of beer and pizza. Both of these foods are enjoyed all around the world, and there are many varieties of each. Beer is made at small craft breweries and big corporate ones. It is drunk at bars, at get-togethers, at breweries, and at sporting events. Pizza is made at small family pizzerias and big national chains and can be purchased frozen in grocery stores. It is enjoyed at parties, by the slice while on the go, and as a simple meal at home.

SU News

Expert has Syracuse basketball way high up in preseason ACC rankings (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball checks in at No. 3 overall in recently published Atlantic Coast Conference power rankings ahead of the 2023-24 campaign.

College basketball expert Jay Anderson, who extensively covers the ACC and other leagues for stellar FanSided Web site Busting Brackets, unveiled his preseason ACC power rankings in 2023-24 a couple of days ago.

I’m delighted to say that Anderson has the Orange at No. 3 within the league’s pecking order, at least prior to the upcoming season commencing. I like Jay’s mindset here about the ‘Cuse.

There's a clear idea of who the top team in the ACC is this season. But who else should be viewed as contenders? @HereGoJayAgain gives his preseason outlook for the league.ACC Basketball: Preseason power rankings for 2023-24 season
— Busting Brackets (@BustingBrackets) October 5, 2023

Yes, Adrian Autry is in his first year as the Orange’s head coach, as he replaced the Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim this past spring. In the off-season, the ‘Cuse saw its 2023-24 roster get a sizable makeover, but at least on paper, this 13-player line-up is athletic, deep and versatile at every position group.

What’s more, if we’re talking about the ACC, national and conference pundits seem to agree that Duke is the top team in this league, at least as far as preseason prognostications go, but otherwise, the ACC is fairly wide open.

Syracuse basketball has a great chance to be a top-four to a top-six squad in the ACC.

In super early top-25 national rankings ahead of 2023-24, the Blue Devils are placed in the top five. Both Miami and North Carolina are also in these ratings. The Hurricanes went to the Final Four in the 2023 NCAA Tournament, while the prior season, the Tar Heels reached the championship game (and Duke made the Final Four).

To that end, Anderson’s preseason ACC power rankings are as follows:
No. 1, Duke
No. 2, Miami
No. 3, Syracuse basketball
No. 4, North Carolina
No. 5, Clemson
No. 6, N.C. State
No. 7, Virginia
No. 8, Pittsburgh
No. 9, Florida State
No. 10, Virginia Tech
No. 11, Wake Forest
No. 12, Georgia Tech
No. 13, Boston College
No. 14, Louisville
No. 15, Notre Dame

I’ve said it several times lately. The Orange’s 20-game ACC docket in 2023-24 is manageable. The ‘Cuse has multiple tough games in its non-conference calendar, and Syracuse basketball will be tested early between some non-conference affairs as well as a challenging start to its ACC play.

That being said, if the Orange can gel as a cohesive unit sooner rather than later, I’m going on record in stating that I believe the ‘Cuse will return to the Big Dance in 2024 after a two-year absence from March Madness.

https://images./image/upload/f_auto,q_auto,t_large/uskoigy8l3ffko1y1swu
NYCHoops

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star, top-40 player from NY visits SU, scores offer (itlh; Adler)

Four-star guard Imahri Wooten, a New York native and a fast-rising national prospect in the 2026 class, took an unofficial visit to Syracuse basketball this weekend, at which time he received a scholarship offer from the Orange coaching staff.

The 6-foot-5 Wooten, who is from Troy, N.Y., disclosed the ‘Cuse offer and some photos from his unofficial visit to the SU campus on his Instagram page. First and foremost, a huge congrats to Imahri.

I kind of figured that an Orange offer might be headed Wooten’s way, after I found out that he was taking an unofficial visit to Syracuse basketball this weekend. While he’s from New York state, Wooten plays high-school ball in Arizona.

Eric Bossi, the national basketball director for 247Sports, first reported the news of Wooten’s unofficial visit to the ‘Cuse, in a larger piece where Bossi detailed numerous highly rated prospects making trips to college campuses this weekend.

Syracuse basketball has officially entered the recruiting fray for 2026 four-star guard Imahri Wooten.

As a freshman in the 2022-23 season, Wooten had a standout campaign for the Redemption Christian Academy in Troy, getting named to the Power 5 Conference AAA All-League first team.

In the upcoming 2023-24 term, as a sophomore, Wooten will compete for the powerhouse AZ Compass Prep School in Chandler, Ariz., which is a member of the loaded 10-team National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”).

Besides the Orange, Wooten holds offers from teams such as Albany, Arizona State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, IUPUI, Mississippi State, Missouri, NJIT, St. Bonaventure and Wichita State.

According to 247Sports, Wooten within the 2026 class is rated as four stars, No. 38 overall, No. 14 at small forward and No. 3 in Arizona.

Syracuse Basketball: Projecting the Orange’s record in 2023-24 season (itlh; Adler)

We’re about one month away from the official start of the Syracuse basketball 2023-24 season, and I can’t freaking wait to get things going in hoops.

Long-time assistant Adrian Autry will be in his first year as the Orange’s head coach, after he replaced the legendary Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim, who retired this past March. As an SU alumnus for more than two decades, it’s gonna be a little weird to me to not see Boeheim roaming the sidelines, but I’m excited for the Autry era to get underway.

Prognostications from national and Atlantic Coast Conference pundits aren’t super high on the ‘Cuse ahead of 2023-24, and that’s all good. I like it when Syracuse basketball flies under the radar a bit.

Plus, the team does have a new head coach, its starting center, an All-ACC performer last season, is gone, there are a lot of new faces on the 2023-24 roster, the Orange has a ton of underclassmen, and Syracuse basketball hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament in each of the past two stanzas.

Still, the Orange’s 2023-24 line-up appears loaded with athleticism, depth and versatility. The non-conference portion of the 2023-24 docket looks fairly tough, but I do think, at least on paper, the ACC schedule is relatively manageable.

Here’s my forecast for Syracuse basketball during the upcoming term.

•New Hampshire at the Dome on November 6
My prediction: Win

•Canisius at the Dome on November 8

•Colgate at the Dome on November 14

•Tennessee at the 2023 Maui Jim Maui Invitational in Honolulu on November 20

Syracuse Basketball: Big battles for 4-stars Nigel James, Kiyan Anthony (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2025 four-star priority recruits Nigel James and Kiyan Anthony, who both hail from New York state, will compete against some of the country’s top high-school teams during the 2023-24 season.

The 6-foot James, a 2025 four-star point guard and a top-100 national prospect, and the 6-foot-5 Anthony, a 2025 four-star shooting guard and a top-40 overall player, are both juniors at the powerhouse Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, N.Y., which is a member of the 10-team National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”), arguably the top high-school hoops league nationwide.

As an NIBC member, Long Island Lutheran is expected to have some of its games in 2023-24 broadcast on national television, so it will be fun to watch James and Anthony battle elite competition.

Long Island Lutheran was a top-five national squad in 2022-23, finishing second in the NIBC regular-season standings and playing in the 2023 GEICO Nationals. High-school basketball experts project the Crusaders as a preseason top-five group ahead of 2023-24, and we’re starting to get an idea about some of Long Island Lutheran’s schedule for the upcoming term.

HAGPUU3XYZHL3A6M75QZ4N4VV4.JPG

Former Syracuse walk-on Nick Resavy defends the New York Liberty's Breanna Stewart during a practice. Resavy, who is now coaching the girls varsity team at Ardsley High School, is a practice player for the Liberty. Photo by Brandon Todd/New York Liberty

Practicing against Stewie: Former SU walk-on dishes on his side gig (podcast) (PS; $; Waters)

When he was a walk-on player for the Syracuse men’s basketball team, Nick Resavy regularly had to practice against future NBA players such as Wes Johnson and Dion Waiters.

Resavy is now the girls varsity basketball coach at Ardsley (N.Y.) High School, but he’s still practicing against some of the best basketball players in the world.

Resavy is a practice player for the WNBA’s New York Liberty. He is one of several male players who provide a practice challenge for the Liberty’s players. The team’s practices pit Resavy against the likes of Breanna Stewart and Sabrina Ionescu.

In an appearance on the Inside Syracuse Basketball podcast with Mike Waters, Resavy described what it’s like going up against the top women’s players in the world.

“She’s my match-up. She’s who I guard,’' Resavy said of Stewart, the North Syracuse native who won four NCAA championships at Connecticut and already has one WNBA title with the Seattle Storm. “From a playing perspective, it’s amazing. These women are so talented. Stewie winning an MVP. Stewie being from Cuse. She’s a star.’'

COLUMN: Syracuse transfer Edwards ready to hit the hardcourt with Eilert and Mountaineers (timeswv.com; Hertzel)

There was a time, not that long ago, really, when West Virginia forward Jesse Edwards stood on the verge of creating one of the best and most complete basketball educations any player could ever hope to attain while playing the college game.

Education is very important to Edwards. All you have to know was that Edwards had majored in biotechnology, which is a path often followed by medical or dental school or a career in life sciences, at Syracuse.

Now, having transferred to West Virginia for his final season of the college game and chasing a master's degree in sports management, he was figuring on giving himself a huge head start in life as well as basketball.

As impressive as his academic pursuits were, his transfer put him in position to complete one of the most impressive and thorough basketball educations any player ever had, for there are not very many who learn at the knee of two Hall of Fame coaches and certainly none who have learned from two coaches — Jim Boeheim at Syracuse and Bob Huggins at West Virginia — who have a combined 1,950 career victories.

What's more, he would learn two diametrically differing defenses, Boeheim spent his career in a 2-3 zone and the personal variations he put on it and Huggins on his in-your-face variety of pressing and switching defenses.

Then, within less than a two-month period after he accepted Huggins' offer to play at WVU, the coach's life came undone and he was forced to resign at WVU, to be replaced by Josh Eilert, a man who been head coach for as many games at the collegiate level as had been Edwards.

He was faced with a difficult decision. Since Huggins' exile, he and all his teammates had 30 days to enter the transfer portal. Seven of them left.

He stayed.

"I really didn't want to leave," Edwards said when he had his first media session at WVU last week. "I was quite happy here. I liked the place and I'm here with my girlfriend. We've got a nice spot, and we were excited to get everything started."

Other

XOJCNXQFRVB5XK2NGFGQBG72VQ.jpg

After four years of low-snow winters, Central New York is likely to get a more normal one this year. The gray area indicates areas expected to see 75% to 124% of normal snowfall.

The new winter forecast for Upstate NY is good news for snow lovers (PS; Coin)

After getting just half its normal snowfall last season, Syracuse this season could see a return to normal, or close to it, according to the seasonal forecast released today by private forecasting company Accuweather.

Syracuse has historically been the snowiest large city in the U.S., with an annual average snowfall of about 123 inches. Last winter, though, Syracuse saw just half of that: 65.6 inches. It was the fourth straight winter with under 100 inches of snow.

This winter will likely be more friendly to fans of snow, said Paul Pastelok, a senior meteorologist with Accuweather.

“It may just fall short of the normal zone, but think it will be more than last year,” Pastelok said. “You’ll be in that gray area.”

Thanks to a very strong El Nino, the northern half of the U.S. is likely to be warmer than normal this winter. Paradoxically, that could help boost snowfall totals in Syracuse because it will make the Great Lakes warmer and thus produce more lake effect snow, Pastelok said.