Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
images

Welcome to Hag Fish Day!

Hagfish are an eel-like fish that have no bones, jaws, or scales, and most people would agree they are quite ugly. Not only is their appearance unsightly, but they ooze out slime at a quick rate—being able to fill up a two gallon bucket within minutes, and they also often eat dead animals—doing so by crawling through a carcasses mouth, anus, or gills, and eating it from the inside out. Hagfish Day was created in 2009 by WhaleTimes to encourage children to examine all creatures in the food web, not just sightly looking ones. The day exists to show us that all animals in an ecosystem contribute to its well being, such as hagfish and many other often looked over creatures. We need to be made aware of hagfish and other lesser known creatures, because they are just as vulnerable as cute and elegant ones. In short, today is a day to "celebrate the beauty of ugly".

SU News

WO2P5QI225FK5GITAXUON4XMQE.jpg

#1 Maliq Brown during practice.The Syracuse basketball team hit the court at the Carmelo K. Anthony Center for a practice Sept. 13, 2023. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

We asked 5 questions of utmost importance to SU basketball players (PS; $; Ditota)

Sports media days serve several vital functions for reporters looking to gain insight into what’s happened from last season to the new season.

It’s also a nice time to gauge the personalities on the teams we cover.

With that in mind, last Friday we asked every SU scholarship player the same five questions.

None of them were basketball-based. Some caused players to laugh out loud. (Sadly, the deep belly-laugh of Naheem McLeod cannot be translated to this page.) Some caused them to really, really ponder the answer. The question that stumped them the most asked to identify the movie (or fictional) character they most identified with.

Yeah, that took a while.

A couple players did not know what baseball walk-up music was, so for the uninitiated here, it’s the music players select to accompany their walk from the on-deck circle to the batter’s box.

Here, then, are the questions and answers. Credit Mike Waters with an assist for helping with a few guys. (Thirteen players are a lot to reach in one media session.)

Chris Bell

Which movie character do you most identify with?

Batman. That’s my favorite movie character.

What would be your baseball walk-up music?

“The Box” by Roddy Ricch.

If you were stranded on a desert island, which teammate would you want with you?

Peter Carey. He’s pretty resourceful. We’d figure out a way to get off the island.

Which teammate could play another DI sport?

Judah. Judah could definitely play football.

Which game are you most excited about this year?

The Duke game.

Maliq Brown

Black Panther.

Something by Method Man. (No exact song.)

If you were stranded on a desert island, which teammate would you want with you?

Probably Quadir or Judah, just knowing if we’re stranded on an island they’re going to do something or say something funny or crazy to keep positive thoughts.

Definitely Judah. I think he could be a football wide receiver.

Which game are you most excited about this year?

To be honest, all of the games. Even the scrimmage games are going to be special.

Peter Carey

I’ll go with Peter Parker from Spiderman.

Probably something from the new Drake album. Maybe something like “Daylight.”

Probably Naheem. He’d keep me entertained.

Maliq could play football for sure.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...guard-judah-mintz-excited-for-upcoming-season (PS; Della Penna)

We spoke with Syracuse guard Judah Mintz about new head coach Adrian Autry, his decision to return, team chemistry, man vs. zone and other topics with the start of the basketball season on the horizon.

Q: What's the biggest difference this year with coach Autry compared to coach Boeheim?

Mintz: "Our style of play has changed. Our personnel, from a team standpoint, is a lot different. Also just the way he coaches, the way he speaks to us, is a little bit different. Different coaches have different styles."

Q: What's different about coach Autry himself as a head coach as opposed to being an assistant?

Mintz: "Not much. He just has a bigger role. He has big shoes to fill, but he's the same person he was last year."

Q: What has been the process for you with the draft combine and deciding to come back?

Mintz: "Just trying to make it. I was trying to make it to the NBA. That's really what was on my mind, to be honest. I was talking to Red and coach G-Mac a lot. Weekly I would say. I was really just focused on what was ahead of me."

Q: Now that you're back, what are your goals as an individual and as a team?

Mintz: "We don't want to just make the (NCAA) Tournament, but we want to make a run. We want to be really good, from a Syracuse standpoint. That's why I came back. That's what everyone here is trying to accomplish this year."

Q: What do you think JJ Starling can bring to this team?

Mintz: "I've always known JJ as an opponent. Never a teammate. I've always respected him, respected his game. He's gotten me in matchups, I've gotten him. He's a great player. I knew that before he got here, but being on the court with him this fall has been tremendous."

Observations from SU basketball media day from our beat writers (podcast) (PS; podcast; Donna & Mike)

It’s always good to get a second opinion. That’s what we did on the latest edition of “Inside Syracuse Basketball.”

To get more thoughts and insight from Syracuse’s basketball media day and Orange Tip-Off, Syracuse.com reporters Mike Waters and Donna Ditota compared their notes from last Friday’s twinbill of hoop events.

The Orange Tip-Off provided the first look at new Syracuse coach Adrian Autry’s first squad. Ditota said she was most interested in seeing some of Syracuse’s newcomers, particularly transfers such as Chance Westry and Kyle Cuffe Jr.

“Both of those guys are coming off injuries,’' Ditota said. “I thought both of them were good. Both came as advertised.’'

Waters said a play during the intra-squad scrimmage when Cuffe stole the ball from JJ Starling stood out to him.

“I’d been told that Kyle Cuffe was an explosive athlete,’' Waters said. “He’s going to help Syracuse play the aggressive kind of defense that Adrian Autry has been talking about.’'

The two joked about their opposite reactions to Syracuse’s 3-point shooting during the scrimmage at the JMA Wireless Dome. There were only two made 3-pointers in the 20-minute scrimmage.

“We’re leaving the Dome,’' Waters said, recalling a conversation wtih Ditota on Friday, “and I’m like, ‘This is going to be a problem.’ ”

Ditota wasn’t as concerned.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a problem,’' she said. “I think they have enough guys that can make them.’'

Other observations included Maliq Brown looking bigger, Benny Williams looking taller and 7-foot-4 center Naheem McLeod just being really, really tall.

To listen to the entire conversation, click here.

Syracuse vs. Oregon men’s basketball game gets time, TV details (PS; $; Ditota)

Syracuse’s December game against Oregon now has a time and a TV landing spot.

The Orange men will play the Ducks in Sioux Falls, South Dakota at 1 p.m. Eastern Time on December 17. The game will be televised by CBS Sports Network.

The game will be played at the Sanford Pentagon, which will host several matchups between basketball brands located outside the state of South Dakota this season.

The Orange, which opens its season November 6 vs. New Hampshire, last played the Ducks in 2018, when Oregon won 80-65 in Madison Square Garden.

The Ducks and the Orange each begin the year unranked in the AP Top 25. Oregon returns three starters from its 2022-23 NIT season, including 2023-24 preseason Pac-12 All-Conference big man N’Faly Dante.

Syracuse fans in the Rochester area can get a glimpse of the men’s and women’s teams on Saturday at the Blue Cross Arena. Tickets are available online.

Syracuse Needs Big Jumps From Its Wings (orangefizz.net; Frank)

As Syracuse basketball has officially completed its media day and first preseason event with another on the docket for Saturday, it’s a perfect time to analyze the Orange’s roster in full and come away with what needs to happen for SU to have a successful season this year. So, let’s start with the fact that Syracuse needs its returning wings to make big jumps this season.

Last year, Benny Williams and Chris Bell started the majority of the games at the forward position, but in Adrian Autry’s new vision for this team let’s separate the Orange’s roster into three categories: guards, wings, and bigs. SU has four players who fit into that criteria and are returning based on where they like to play. So, let’s start with Williams.
https://go.ezodn.com/ads/charity/pr...tps://theanimalpad.org/donation/&ffid=1&co=US
“Benny Williams beat Justin Taylor off the dribble and dunked,” syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota wrote on Friday. “Later, he caught the ball on the wing, attacked, and dunked. He also got basically all of the Orange team’s rebounds.”

“Williams and Bell were both first-time starters last year,” syracuse.com’s Mike Waters said last week. “They each had their struggles, but they also had games in which they flashed considerable potential. Williams, who lost his starting job midway through the season, capped his year off with a 17-point, seven-rebound performance in the ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest. Bell was knocking down 40% of his 3-pointers until hitting the freshman wall.”

“Also, Chris Bell showed an ability and a willingness to attack the basket, something he rarely did last season. And he did it more than once,” Ditota said.

If both of those players are improved, and doing a lot more than standing on the wing hoping for the ball to come to them, and instead dictating action and interplaying with guys like Judah Mintz, JJ Starling, and Chance Westry, then SU could be dangerous.

SU To Honor Hall Of Fame Coach On Jim Boeheim Day - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Syracuse University Athletics will be honoring Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Jim Boeheim '66 at the Notre Dame game on Saturday, Feb. 24, in the JMA Wireless Dome. A ceremony to recognize the many accomplishments of the recently retired coach will be part of "Coach Jim Boeheim Day."

Saluting Boeheim
"Coach Jim Boeheim Day" will honor the most successful coach in Syracuse basketball history. Boeheim, who announced his retirement following the completion of last season, was at the helm of his alma mater's program for 47 years.

"Coach Boeheim is an iconic figure in Central New York and to all Orange fans and alumni around the world," said John Wildhack, Syracuse Director of Athletics. "His remarkable career and commitment to Syracuse University and our community will never be replicated. February 24th will provide our fans the opportunity to celebrate and thank Coach Boeheim.

Boeheim's Greatest Hits
His career produced many staggering numbers, many of which will be difficult for others to approach:

• Boeheim ranks second among Division I coaches in wins and games coached, marks that have only been exceeded by former Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski.
  • He guided the Orange to winning records in 46 of his 47 campaigns in charge.
  • Boeheim led Syracuse into the postseason in all but five of his seasons.
  • Syracuse made 35 trips into the NCAA Tournament during Boeheim's tenure.
  • The Orange advanced to the Final Four five times: 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013 and 2016.
  • Boeheim was at the helm when the program reached college basketball's pinnacle – the 2003 NCAA Championship.
  • Boeheim is the only Division I coach who directed a team into the NCAA Tournament in six different decades.
  • He became the only Division I coach with more than 1,000 victories at his alma mater.
  • Boeheim's 47 seasons as head coach at one institution has only been topped once. Jim Phalen led Mt. St. Mary's for 49 campaigns.
  • At the conclusion of his coaching tenure at Syracuse, Boeheim ranked second among Division I coaches in 20-win seasons and fourth in NCAA Tournament victories.

Judah Mintz returns to Syracuse basketball for sophomore season with NCAA Tournament in mind (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The last time the college basketball community saw Judah Mintz he was visibly dejected.

Flash back to last March as Syracuse was playing for its post-season life against Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament second round. The Orange had a chance to take the lead late, but a missed shot led to a runout the other way. Wake’s Tyree Appleby crossed halfcourt and threw a pass to Daivien Williamson who promptly drilled a three with less than a second left on the game clock, effectively ending Syracuse’s season. The shot marked the end of Jim Boeheim’s career and the end of Mintz’s time at Syracuse.

Or so he thought.

“In the back of my mind I didn’t really plan on coming back,” Mintz revealed.

After Williamson’s shot went through the net, Mintz buckled to the floor. The dream was over and the waterworks began. Defeated, Mintz made his way to the bench and tried to shield his emotions. But in the name of American entertainment, the television titans would have nothing of the sort. Tears would be shown.

The sport can seem cruel at times. It cares not for players’ dreams, hopes, or desires. So it goes. All Mintz could do was bury his face in a towel from the Syracuse bench.

“We knew there was no [NCAA Tournament] bid for us. We weren’t getting in without winning the [ACC] tournament. Just getting beat like that to a team you just beat a week before. It hurt,” Mintz said

Other

IGVAAGUO6JHOXIUQV2K3DUGFGE.jpg

Spectrum is replacing its cable set-top boxes with the Xumo Stream Box, a coaster-sized device that streams the company's cable programming and gives customers access to more than 250 subscription-based and ad-supported streaming apps. (Spectrum)

Say goodbye to the cable box: Spectrum is switching to a streaming device (PS; $; Moriarty)

Spectrum is phasing out the ubiquitous cable box and replacing it with a coaster-sized device it hopes will help it compete better against streaming TV services.

The company recently introduced the Xumo Stream Box, which allows customers to stream the cable channels they have until now received through clunky cable set-top boxes.

Spectrum also says this could save cable customers a little money in the long run.

Xumo (pronounced ZOOM-o) is a joint venture between Spectrum’s parent, Charter Communications, and Comcast, which operates under the Xfinity brand. Comcast plans to bring Xumo to Xfinity customers soon.

The companies are hoping the national rollout of their first streaming device will help them hold the line against increasing competition from multiple streaming TV services.

Spectrum and Xfinity have been losing hundreds of thousands of cable customers a year to streaming services such as YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu, Disney+, Philo, Apple TV+, and FuboTV, which function as cable replacements with prices often significantly lower than Spectrum’s and Xfinity’s.

Charter reported having 14.1 million Spectrum residential cable TV customers at the end of June, which was 782,000, or 5.3%, less than it had at the same point last year. Comcast lost 2.1 million residential cable TV customers during the same span, ending June with 15 million subscribers.

Here’s what you need to know about the switch:

Eleven anglers busted for snagging fish at night on Salmon River (PS; Featherstone)

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation police officers (ECOs) busted 11 anglers last month for snagging fish after dark on the Salmon River.

ECOs received a tip at around 2:30 a.m. on Sept. 22 that a group of anglers were fishing the Black Hole section of the Salmon River. The Black Hole is a popular fishing spot just west of Pulaski, below the sewer treatment plant. Fishing is not allowed at night on the Salmon River.

When ECOs arrived at the location, they noticed someone in the parking lot serving as a lookout for the anglers. Rather than alert the lookout to their presence, ECOs stayed hidden and used thermal night vision to observe anglers blind snatching—or snagging—fish.

ECOs surprised the anglers and ordered them to put their fishing gear on the ground, then gathered up salmon already on stringers. They issued 26 tickets for violations including possession of weighted hooks, snag hooks, snatching, fishing after hours, and failure to possess a fishing license.

The following reports are excerpted from DEC:

WID7IJXUZRCALCY2IAOKATZ6LM.jpg

A part of the 1913 "Safety First" campaign in Syracuse were a series of educational photos. Provided by the Onondaga Historical Association, these images instructed Syracusans what to do and, more importantly, what not to do on city streets. They were taken on Euclid Avenue and/or Westcott Street. The caption for this image read, "Automobile driver looking at boys, paying no attention to streetcar approaching street intersection." Courtesy of the Onondaga Historical AssociationCourtesy of the Onondaga Historical Association

Inside Syracuse’s century-old effort to create the safest streets in America (PS; Croyle)

Just before dusk on a September afternoon in 1913, a fatal hit-and-run shocked the city of Syracuse into a revolutionary effort to make its street safer.

Rebecca Latimer, 55 years old and deaf, stepped off a trolley car in front of her home on South Salina Street. A speeding automobile hit her so hard she was launched 25 feet in the air and landed on the trolley tracks, according to newspaper reports at the time. She died instantly and the car sped away from the scene.

The tragedy was the last straw for a city that had seen more than 7,000 accidents on its streets that year alone. The automobile was still new, and Syracuse’s streets were a chaotic, disorganized mess.

Jaywalkers, speeding cars, bicycles, playing children, horses pulling wagons, and hurried passengers rushing to or stepping off trolleys made Syracuse streets dangerous for everyone. The rules of the road were often ignored.

So after Latimer’s death, Syracuse would launch a safety campaign that would eventually become the blueprint for bigger cities like New York to Paris.

Just two days after the death of Mrs. Latimer nearly all of Syracuse, its Chamber of Commerce, police department, Automobile Club, schools, even its churches, had been mobilized.

A Safety First committee was formed, and they put into motion an educational campaign which would run the entire month of December.

It was, according to a Post-Standard editorial, “the most comprehensive ever to be undertaken in an American city.”

“It is a campaign of practical education,” the Herald announced. “It may be likened to a religious revival, with the body, instead of the soul, as the object of solicitude.”

The phrase “Safety First” was everywhere; its message aimed at everyone, drivers, pedestrians, trolley passengers, the old and the young.