Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200w.webp

Welcome to World Peace Day!

Don "Peaceguy" Morris started World Peace Day in Miami, Florida. It has been observed at least since 1995. Early on, Morris organized a peace march at Miami's South Beach on the day. Some of the main ways World Peace Day is celebrated today is by driving around with headlights on as a public demonstration of peace, thinking about peace while going about daily activities, and folding origami cranes and hanging them in public around one's city and throughout the world as a wish for peace and to remind people of peace, taking inspiration from the story of Sadako Sasaki. Morris has said that the only instructions for the day are to "pray, focus, or meditate for peace," and that "by gathering together we provide the pebble to start the avalanche towards peace."

SU News

Cuffe on the injury that ended his Kansas career before transferring: ‘I couldn’t feel my kneecap’ (PS; $; Waters)

In a mid-November practice last year when he was still at Kansas, Kyle Cuffe Jr. and his Jayhawk teammates were running 17s, a timed drill where players had to run sideline to sideline 17 times in a minute.

As he planted his foot on the sideline, Cuffe’s right leg buckled. He went down, as did several teammates around him. Everyone eventually got up. Except for Cuffe.

He grabbed his right knee and searched for a kneecap.

“I couldn’t grab my kneecap,’’ Cuffe said, recalling the incident during an interview with syracuse.com. “I didn’t know where it was.’’

Cuffe, a 6-foot-3 guard from Harlem, is a redshirt sophomore at Syracuse University. He missed the entire 2022-23 season due to the knee injury. He had sat out the previous season as a redshirt on the Kansas team that won the 2022 NCAA championship.

After playing in just two games in two years at Kansas, he transferred to Syracuse last offseason.

But it was what Cuffe did during his rehabilitation process that put him in position to help the Orange this season. Not only was his right knee broken; so was his jump shot.

This is the story of how he repaired both.

After he went down with the injury in practice, Kansas medical staff helped Cuffe to the team’s training room.

“Once I was laying down, it didn’t hurt anymore,’’ Cuffe said. “That’s when I knew it was over because I couldn’t feel my leg at all.’’

An MRI and X-rays were taken in the training room. They revealed a torn PCL and MCL. The kneecap had come loose as well.

A few hours later, Cuffe was taken to a local hospital for more evaluation. He returned to the hospital a few days later to see a doctor, who confirmed the earlier diagnosis.

“Right when they told me, I was in tears,’’ Cuffe said. “They told me what it was and showed me everything on the screen so I’d understand.’’

Teammates had driven Cuffe’s car back to his dorm. He had a full brace on his right leg and a pair of crutches that he struggled to use.

“Thankfully, my dorm had an elevator,’’ he said.

(youtube; video; ACC DN)

The Syracuse Orange regrouped at halftime and came back from a big deficit to beat Colgate, 79-75. Syracuse erased a 24-point Colgate lead and outscored the Raiders 49-29 in the 2nd half. Chris Bell led the way for the Orange with 25 points while Judah Mintz added 23 points, 8 assists and 3 steals in the win. The Orange allowed the Raiders to hit 8 three-pointers in the first half and held them to just 1 made shot from three-point range after the break.

Syracuse basketball 4-star recruits eye No. 1 in ESPN top-25 team ratings (itlh; Adler)

In recent days, ESPN put out its preseason top-25 team rankings as the 2023-24 season in high school hoops is getting underway, and multiple Syracuse basketball recruits – and a commit – are eyeing the No. 1 spot across the country.

The Montverde Academy in Montverde, Fla., arguably the top program in high school basketball over the past few years, is No. 1 in ESPN’s top 25, and the Eagles’ loaded 2023-24 roster includes former Orange recruiting targets Derik Queen, a 2024 five-star center, Robert Wright III, a 2024 four-star point guard committed to Baylor, and Curtis Givens III, a 2024 four-star point guard committed to LSU.

Additionally, Montverde’s line-up features 2024 five-star power forward Cooper Flagg, who is committed to Duke and is the No. 1 national prospect in the senior cycle.

Another squad to mention here is No. 4 Prolific Prep in Napa Valley, Calif. Last week, Syracuse basketball 2024 commit Elijah Moore, a four-star shooting guard, tallied 27 points as his group, the Our Saviour Lutheran School in the Bronx, N.Y., defeated Prolific Prep, 100-79, at the Champions Tip-off Classic in Queens, N.Y.

Syracuse basketball recruits are suiting up for highly ranked teams in 2023-24.

Later this month, on Thursday, Nov. 30, at the Sunshine Classic, Montverde will host another titan in high school hoops, the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Both of these juggernauts are a part of the nation’s top league, the 10-member National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”).

A senior at IMG is Donnie Freeman, a four-star power forward who officially signed with Syracuse basketball last week. Freeman and Moore, who officially signed with the ‘Cuse over the weekend, make up an excellent two-member 2024 class for the Orange.

In ESPN’s preseason top 25, IMG resides at No. 5. Arriving at No. 6 is another NIBC member, Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, N.Y.

Syracuse Basketball: Expanding Big Dance is a money grab, leave it alone (itlh; Adler)

Like every other Orange hoops fanatic out there, I want to see Syracuse basketball land an invite to the NCAA Tournament every season.

Trust me, the past two terms, when the ‘Cuse struggled and didn’t make the Big Dance, it was not fun.

And there are likely some folks out there who say an expansion of March Madness could give Syracuse basketball a greater chance to hear its name called on Selection Sunday, and I don’t doubt it.

For me, though, I’d prefer that the current NCAA Tournament format remain the same, although an expansion of the present 68-team field is probably going to occur at some point in the future.

If Syracuse basketball plays to its potential, it won’t need an expansion of the Big Dance to secure an invite.

In recent days, an article came out from ESPN writer Myron Medcalf that discussed the possibility of the NCAA Tournament growing in the future.

In that piece, Dan Gavitt, the NCAA’s senior vice president of basketball, said that an expansion of the NCAA Tournament is “not necessarily” inevitable, while at the same time, he said that March Madness has to stay “contemporary.”

Medcalf wrote in his story that the “Division I men’s basketball committee is currently weighing recommendations from the Division I transformation committee that could expand the NCAA tournament to up to 90 teams.”

I’ll say this. If the Big Dance grows by that large of a number, that better result in more mid-major programs getting bids, rather than average teams from the power conferences, including the Orange’s league, the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Carmelo Anthony guests on ‘Hot Ones,’ talks Syracuse basketball while eating spicy wings (PS; Owens)

Former Syracuse basketball star Carmelo Anthony was brought to tears in an interview released today. It wasn’t emotion that caused the reaction, though.

It was hot wings.

The former Syracuse Orange and NBA star appeared on the popular YouTube interview series “Hot Ones,” where host Sean Evans interviews a celebrity guest while the two of them dine on chicken wings coated with progressively hotter sauces. Anthony answered questions about growing up in Baltimore, his new podcast with The Kid Mero, his NBA career and, of course, his time at Syracuse.

Anthony already had to wipe tears away before talking about Syracuse, thanks to a wing coated with Da Bomb Beyond Insanity sauce, with a heat rating of 135,600 units on the Scoville scale.

Later, after eating a wing coated with Zuzu 7-Pot hot sauce — which, despite a Scoville rating of 620,000, did not affect Anthony nearly as much as the Beyond Insanity sauce did — Evans asked the former SU star where going undefeated in the Carrier Dome ranked on his list of accomplishments.

“Top,” Anthony immediately responded. “Top. It’s hard to do, and I’m glad you asked that question, because it doesn’t get enough attention.

“To go into a place like Syracuse, go 17-0 in the Carrier Dome, and never lost — I mean, the championship was great but that’s special to know that you did that, you took care of home.”

Evans then asked about then-coach Jim Boeheim’s reaction to Anthony considering staying at Syracuse instead of going right to the NBA after the Orange won the 2003 NCAA championship.

“He thought I was buggin’ ,” Anthony laughed. “No, he didn’t say that. He said it in other ways, in Boeheim language.

“I think at the time, people saw more in me than I did in myself.”

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/bleav-in-syracuse-episode-90 (SI; podcast; Bleav in Syracuse)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 90, presented by Bet Online, is out! We discuss Orange basketball's 3-0 start including key takeaways, the comeback against Colgate and SU's chances in Maui. You can subscribe and listen on your favorite podcasting platforms as linked below.

Keeping Up With The 315 11-16-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian begins the show by asking the question of if we should change our expectations for Benny Williams this season? Then, he previews the SU men’s soccer tournament game tonight. After that, Brian gives his take on why a win this week could keep Dino Babers job for another year.

Matt Park "Orange Nation" 11-16-23 (soundcloud.com; radio; Orange Nation)

Voice of the Orange Matt Park joins Steve and Paulie to talk Syracuse football and men's basketball with both teams coming off miraculous wins.

Eric Devendorf "Orange Nation" 11-16-23 (soundcloud.com; radio; Orange Nation)

Former Syracuse basketball guard Eric Devendorf joined Steve and Paulie to talk about 'Cuse's big comeback win over Colgate. After, Eric talked about the upcoming ED23Foundation Thanksgiving turkey drive. He gave drop off locations, informed listeners that it is not too late to get involved, and more.

Signed volleyball for Charity Sports Auction

19th Annual Charity Sports Auction to Take Place Online and at Men’s Basketball Game Nov. 28 (syr.edu; Staff)

The 19th Annual Charity Sports Auction, presented by the Sport Management Club at Syracuse University, will be a hybrid auction with bidding opening online via OneCause on Nov. 24 and continuing Nov. 28 at the Syracuse men’s basketball game against Louisiana State University (LSU). Online bidding will close on Wednesday, Nov. 29. The Sport Management Club includes students from Falk College. Club members are responsible for collecting the sports items available during the auction, reaching out to athletes, agents and organizations in search of donated goods.

This year’s beneficiary is Tillie’s Touch, a not-for-profit organization founded by Dale Johnson in 2008 to help youth overcome barriers and maintain a 100% high school graduation rate. The organization’s goal is to make an impact in the lives of Central New York youth, provide opportunities to play sports and help children achieve academic excellence. Tillie’s Touch serves 1,500 youth annually.

Over the past 19 years, the Sport Management Club has raised over $665,000 for Central New York nonprofit organizations. Featured items this year include a Super Bowl football signed by Tyreek Hill, a Ichiro Suzuki signed baseball and Buddy Boehiem signed basketball, among other items.

To further the auction’s mission of community impact, Apex Entertainment is this year’s title sponsor. “We are really proud to work with Apex Entertainment for another year. They were amazing to work with last year, and we look forward to working together again to raise money for Tillie’s Touch,” says auction co-chair Jacob Geisinger.

The 19th Annual Charity Sports Auction will take place in the backcourt of the JMA Wireless Dome as the Syracuse Orange take on LSU in front of tens of thousands of dedicated fans and the Syracuse community.

Other

LVA6R4AO6VCFTKWNRI5QLXVHTU.jpg

A lobster tail crowns the Vadouvan paella at L.M. Social, Syracuse, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)

L.M. Social in Armory Square: A mélange of experiences at Downtown Syracuse restaurant (Dining Out Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

Sides and accompaniments rarely get their due in restaurant reviews, so we must give credit to L.M. Social in Armory Square for its risotto. Presented in a circular mound, about twice the size of a hockey puck, the rice was starchy and creamy, no doubt from the significant amount of cheese used in its preparation.

There was a stiffness to it, holding its construction which allowed it to mingle with the variety of flavors on the plate. With the restaurant’s signature French ribeye (market priced at $65), it took on notes of the herbed Cafe de Paris finishing butter and ascended to an entirely different level. Take the risotto, add a helping of the butter and you would have an exceptional standalone dish.

The Frenched rib bone of the steak gave the dish a bit of a class without the showiness of a tomahawk steak. Cooked to order at medium-rare, the well-marbled steak carried a rich, buttery beef flavor.

L.M. Social is the next evolution of Le Mélange, the self-anointed vibe dining restaurant that opened in October 2022. It quickly outgrew its West Fayette Street home in what previously was The Stoop. It moved to the space formerly inhabited by Lemon Grass and Bistro Elephant on West Jefferson Street in August 2023, across from the Museum of Science and Technology.

Our waiter explained the menu as French-inspired, though there were Italian, Greek and North African influences throughout. The results were true to its former name; it certainly was a mixture.

Take the scallop smoke show ($16), for instance. Massive prosciutto-wrapped scallops were pan-seared and served over a sweet potato mash and served in a smoke dome. It sounded interesting enough to order but delivered middling results. The prosciutto was a non-factor in the flavor of the scallops, which were fresh and sweet. The sweet potato mash had fallen apart at some point between the kitchen and our table, leaving a spicy orange puree topped with an out-of-place pineapple salsa surrounded by a moat of brown sugar syrup. The smoke was truly a show, having not absorbed into any element of the dish.

‘Transformational’ building invention to debut at Syracuse high-rise (PS; Boyer)

A seven-story, red-brick public housing building on Syracuse’s Near West Side will get a new façade, but instead of a typical exterior upgrade, it will be the first project of its kind in the world.

In the city where air conditioning pioneer Willis Carrier brought his invention to the masses, a newly patented system for indoor heating and cooling will be tucked behind a new outside shell covering a James Geddes Housing Development elderly high-rise at the corner of Fabius and Tioga streets.

The project is a result of a partnership that includes the Syracuse Housing Authority, which owns the building, and a New York City-based startup that just won a $3 million building innovation grant.

Hydronic Shell Technologies’ demonstration project in Syracuse was one of six winners nationwide in the 2023 Housing Affordability Breakthrough Challenge, a competition run by an affordable housing advocacy organization called Enterprise Community Partners with funding from the Wells Fargo Foundation. The competition started with more than 400 submissions.

6ODPBMEIUND73KQPD5CE7JPQ3Q.jpg

A view of Rainbow Falls from Horseshoe Falls under the Ausable River Bridge the Wednesday, September 23, 2020.N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Stunning canyon in Upstate NY among most underrated parks in US, ranking says (PS; House)

A stunning landscape nicknamed the Grand Canyon of the Adirondacks has been dubbed one of the most underrated parks in the United States.

Ausable Chasm, a private park near Keeseville, made a new ranking of underappreciated parks by Country Living. The park was included on the list of hidden gems alongside Cathedral Gorge State Park in Panaca, Nevada and Purgatory Chasm in Sutton, Massachusetts.

Housed along the winding Ausable River just a few miles from Lake Champlain, Ausable Chasm’s park has been welcoming tourists since 1870.

It is full of dramatic views made up of towering canyon walls, waterfalls and the twisting river. It offers attractions for both casual hikers and adrenaline junkies — adventures that range from rock climbing and a via-ferrata adventure course to cliffside trails and lantern tours along the Ausable River.