Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to Fat Thursday!

Taking place on the last Thursday before Ash Wednesday, which begins Lent, Fat Thursday is a Christian feast that is primarily celebrated in European countries. It is similar to Fat Tuesday, which is celebrated the following week, but in many European countries, it is the more important holiday of the two. It also is associated with Carnival. As much fasting is done during Lent, Fat Thursday is a day for getting together and eating sweets and other foods that are eschewed during that season. Commonly eaten foods include pączki, berliners, and angel wings.

The holiday is given different names in various European countries, where distinct foods are associated with the day. The day appears to be most widely celebrated in Poland, where it is known as Tłusty Czwartek. Pastries and doughnuts from bakeries are eaten, especially pączki. The tradition of eating doughnuts on the day began in the seventeenth century. In parts of Germany, it is known as Weiberfastnacht. People wear costumes, and celebrations in the streets and in pubs begin at 11:11 a.m. It is known as the "women's carnival" and there is a tradition of women "taking over" town halls. In some parts of Germany, the holiday is also known as Fetter Donnerstag.

SU News

Clutch 3s and ‘huge’ block, but the biggest play was an inbounds pass in SU's win vs. Louisville (PS; $; Waters)

On a night filled with big performances and big plays, the biggest play of the night might have been an inbounds pass.

Yes, an inbounds pass.

On Wednesday night at the JMA Wireless Dome, the Syracuse Orange and Louisville Cardinals scored a combined 186 points in a wild, back-and-forth affair, featuring 18 lead changes, a game-saving block, a game-tying 3-pointer and, finally, an inbounds pass en route to a thrilling 94-92 win for the Orange.

Syracuse led 92-89 after Quadir Copeland went 1-for-2 on a trip to the free-throw line with 14.9 seconds on the clock.

Louisville tied the game on Skyy Clark’s 3-pointer with 6.6 seconds remaining.

“The three was hit on me,’’ SU guard JJ Starling said. “They came off a screen and I thought I played really good defense. I had a high hand, but Skyy … I’ve known Skyy for a while. I went over to him and said, ‘Did you really just hit that?’ He said it was pure luck. It was a great shot.’’

Syracuse had a timeout left, but Orange guard Judah Mintz quickly inbounded the ball.

“Judah made a huge, huge play at the end by inbounding that ball so quickly,’’ SU coach Adrian Autry said.

Copeland saw Mintz going after the ball as it dropped through the net.

“When he made the shot, I seen Judah running,’’ Copeland said. “I’m with him all the time and we talk about, ‘We got to get the ball out faster.’

“Once I seen him running to inbound, I ran straight down the court.’’

Clutch 3s and ‘huge’ block, but the biggest play was an inbounds pass in SU's win vs. Louisville (PS; $; Waters)
On a night filled with big performances and big plays, the biggest play of the night might have been an inbounds pass.

Yes, an inbounds pass.

On Wednesday night at the JMA Wireless Dome, the Syracuse Orange and Louisville Cardinals scored a combined 186 points in a wild, back-and-forth affair, featuring 18 lead changes, a game-saving block, a game-tying 3-pointer and, finally, an inbounds pass en route to a thrilling 94-92 win for the Orange.

Syracuse led 92-89 after Quadir Copeland went 1-for-2 on a trip to the free-throw line with 14.9 seconds on the clock.

Louisville tied the game on Skyy Clark’s 3-pointer with 6.6 seconds remaining.

“The three was hit on me,’’ SU guard JJ Starling said. “They came off a screen and I thought I played really good defense. I had a high hand, but Skyy … I’ve known Skyy for a while. I went over to him and said, ‘Did you really just hit that?’ He said it was pure luck. It was a great shot.’’

Axe: SU basketball passes first test after an emotional week (podcast) (PS; $; podcast; Axe)
It’s been an emotional week for the Syracuse University men’s basketball team.

Head coach Adrian Autry dropped the hammer in his postgame press conference following SU’s 99-70 loss to Wake Forest on Saturday, challenging his team to live up to the “Orange Standard” he is trying to set.

On Tuesday, Autry dismissed junior forward Benny Williams from the team.

The Orange survived a back-and-forth affair at the JMA Dome on Wednesday night, defeating Louisville 94-92.

We talked about Chris Bell’s big night, the questionable goaltending call (that benefitted Syracuse) at the end of the game and how the Orange move on without Williams on Syracuse Basketball Postgame presented by Crouse Health.

VIDEO: Kenny Payne Syracuse Post-Game (thecrunchzone.com; video; TCZ)

VIDEO: KENNY PAYNE SYRACUSE POST-GAME
(youtube; podcast; Inside Syracuse Basketball)
After transferring from Syracuse to Clemson, former Orange basketball player Joe Girard prepares for his return to the Dome.
Marvin Goldberg

Marvin Goldberg G’65 played a vital role in expanding the Department of Physics at Syracuse University.

Remembering Marvin Goldberg: Professor Emeritus of Physics who Taught at Syracuse University for More Than 30 Years (artsandsciences; Bernardi)
Remembering Marvin Goldberg: Professor Emeritus of Physics who Taught at Syracuse University for More Than 30 Years
Goldberg, who passed away in November 2023, helped grow the Department of Physics and advance the field of experimental particle physics.

Editor’s Note: The following article was contributed to by Goldberg’s colleagues at Syracuse University, including Eric Schiff, Tomasz Skwarnicki and Edward Lipson.

The College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) mourns the passing of Marvin Goldberg G’65, professor emeritus of physics. Remembered for his advocacy of international research collaborations and innovations in science education, Goldberg held numerous leadership positions at Syracuse University and played a key role in enhancing the student experience and shaping the Department of Physics. Considered a pioneer in experimental particle physics, Goldberg focused his research on exploring the smallest ingredients of matter.
Originally from New York City, Goldberg received a degree in physics from the City College of New York in 1960 and a Ph.D. in physics from Syracuse University in 1965. Following a two-year appointment as research associate at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Goldberg joined the physics faculty in 1966 as assistant professor and was promoted to full professor in 1974.

For nearly 40 years, Goldberg helped to further the strategic goals of his department, A&S and the University. He was physics department chair from 1982 to 1986 and again from 1989 to 1995, and served on several A&S panels, including the promotions committee, faculty council and admissions committee. He was also a member of various University committees and governing bodies, including the Science Council, Chancellor’s Panel for the Future of the University and the University Senate.

MBB: Results 2024 Feb 7 (RX; HM)

MBB: Results 2024 Feb 7
More ACC Hoops ACCtion:

Louisville 92
Syracuse 94

The Cardinals look much better, but the Orange really needed it more.

Pittsburgh 67
NC State 64

This feels a little like an NCAA Tournament elimination game.

Notre Dame 53
#9 Duke 71

The Blue Devils took care of business, as expected.

...and now for the Newbies:

First, Dallas vs Houston...

SMU 95
Rice 69

They play basketball in Texas, too.

Then an L.A. vs Bay Area double-header...

UCLA 82
Stanford 74

Years ago this would've been a much bigger game.

USC 77
Cal 83

The Bears sold out their arena for this game, and won, too.

Other
NLU2BQUHIBDADG4PBQBXDPKG2Q.jpg

This Feb. 13, 2010 image provided by NASA shows Saturn's moon Mimas and it's large Herschel Crater, captured by the Cassini spacecraft. The crater is 130 kilometers (80 miles) wide. Astronomers have reported the best evidence yet of a vast, relatively new ocean beneath the icy exterior of Mimas, believed between 5 million and 15 million years old. The findings were published Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, in the journal Nature. (NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute via AP)

Saturn’s Death Star-looking moon may have vast underground ocean (PS; AP)
Astronomers have found the best evidence yet of a vast, young ocean beneath the icy exterior of Saturn’s Death Star lookalike mini moon.

The French-led team analyzed changes in Mimas’ orbit and rotation and reported Wednesday that a hidden ocean 12 to 18 miles (20 to 30 kilometers) beneath the frozen crust was more likely than an elongated rocky core. The scientists based their findings on observations by NASA’s Cassini spacecraft, which observed Saturn and its more than 140 moons for more than a decade before diving through the ringed planet’s atmosphere in 2017 and burning up.

Barely 250 miles (400 kilometers) in diameter, the heavily cratered moon lacks the fractures and geysers — typical signs of subsurface activity — of Saturn’s Enceladus and Jupiter’s Europa.

“Mimas was probably the most unlikely place to look for a global ocean — and liquid water more generally,” co-author Valery Lainey of the Paris Observatory said in an email. “So that looks like a potential habitable world. But nobody knows how much time is needed for life to arise.”