Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200w.gif

Welcome to German Beer Day!

German Beer Day celebrates German beer—one of the most revered exports of Germany—as well as the Reinheitsgebot, the beer purity law that was proclaimed by Duke Wilhelm IV on today's date in 1516 and adopted across the Duchy of Bavaria. The world's oldest consumer protection law, Reinheitsgebot originally specified that beer could only contain water, barley, and hops. The law was primarily created as a way to control the market: it prevented brewers from buying up all the wheat and using it up in beer, which would cause bread prices to rise. It prevented beer from surrounding free cities and duchies from being sold in Bavaria, protecting brewers there. It also made it less likely that beer would be brewed with harmful ingredients.

After Bavaria joined the German Empire, Reinheitsgebot was adopted by the German Empire, and then the Weimar Republic adopted it after World War I. It is part of domestic federal legislation today, albeit with some small changes. First, yeast is now a permissible ingredient. Second, beer with other ingredients added can be sold, as long as it isn't labeled as "beer." Reinheitsgebot is still an important component of marketing in Germany, being a symbol of tradition and the cultural values of exactness and patience. On German Beer Day, specials are offered by brewers, especially in Germany. Beer halls and beer gardens in the United States have been known to hold festivities, too.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Final visit for 4-star transfer target Dakota Leffew, then a decision (itlh; Adler)

Per reports, there is one final campus visit for Syracuse basketball four-star transfer target Dakota Leffew, then my sense is he will make a decision in the near future.

Top national analyst/scout Jamie Shaw of On3 reports via his X page that the Mount St. Mary's senior guard is scheduled to take his fourth and final visit on Monday, to Southeastern Conference school Georgia.

Mount St. Mary’s transfer Dakota Leffew tells @On3sports he will visit Georgia tomorrow for his fourth and final visit.

Leffew visited Syracuse, Villanova, and South Carolina this week. Dakota Leffew - Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers - Combo Guard pic.twitter.com/vqwtSHeqkr
— Jamie Shaw (@JamieShaw5) April 21, 2024
The 6-foot-5, 185-pound Leffew visited another SEC member, South Carolina, over the weekend. Has also taken visits to the Orange and Villanova.

Mount St. Mary’s transfer Dakota Leffew on his visit to South Carolina

The 6-5 guard earned first-team All-MAAC honors averaging 17.6 points and 3.9 assists this season @Kotaleffew1 Dakota Leffew - Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers - Combo Guard pic.twitter.com/J5gJIlPTGF
— Jamie Shaw (@JamieShaw5) April 21, 2024

If his visit to Georgia is his last one, I have to believe that Leffew, who hails from Hampton, Ga., is winding down his recruiting process. At least I hope that he is.

When I wrote this article on Monday morning, I didn't see any predictions from analysts in Leffew's recruitment between the 247Sports Web site, , and the On3 Web site.

Syracuse basketball 5-star recruits, who want to visit ‘Cuse, named All-Americans (itlh; Adler)

A pair of Syracuse basketball five-star recruiting targets in the 2026 class has scored All-America honors for the recently completed 2023-24 campaign.

Both Alex Constanza and Jordan Smith Jr., each of whom is a five-star, top-10 national prospect in the 2026 cycle, have received inclusion by MaxPreps to that media outlet’s 2023-24 sophomore All-America third team.

The 6-foot-8 Constanza, a five-star guard/small forward from Florida, picked up a scholarship offer from the Orange coaching staff this past January.

The 6-foot-3 Smith, a five-star shooting guard from the Washington, D.C., area, was offered by the ‘Cuse staff in May of 2023.

Syracuse basketball is prioritizing five-stars Alex Constanza and Jordan Smith Jr.

Per MaxPreps, as a sophomore in 2023-24 for the Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Constanza averaged 20.9 points, 9.7 rebounds, 4.9 assists, 1.0 steals and 1.8 blocks per contest.

Westminster went 23-6 overall this past stanza and advanced to the Class 3A regional final of the Florida High School Athletic Association (“FHSAA”) playoffs.

Constanza, also named a 2023-24 All-County player of the year by the South Florida Sun Sentinel, holds scholarship offers from college squads such as Rutgers, Florida Gulf Coast, Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, Mississippi State, Washington, St. John’s, Florida, Miami, Florida State, Alabama, Dayton, Creighton, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Arizona State, Auburn and Illinois.

His dad has told me that Constanza is “very interested” in visiting Syracuse basketball at some point.

Lampkin Jr. Joins Syracuse Hoop Program - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Eddie Lampkin Jr., a three-year starter at Colorado, has announced his transfer to Syracuse. The 6-11, 265 center from Houston, Texas, has one year of eligibility remaining.

ORANGE ADD PRODUCTIVE POST
Lampkin provides Syracuse with an experienced presence in the post. He's been a part of three straight NCAA Tournament teams, including two at Texas Christian (TCU) and one at Colorado. Lampkin had nine double-doubles and produced 11 double-digit rebound outings with the Buffaloes.

BREAKOUT CAMPAIGN AT COLORADO
Lampkin transferred to Colorado prior to the 2023-24 season. He stepped into the starting lineup and produced averages of 11.1 points and 6.4 rebounds. He converted .630 percent of his field goal attempts. The Buffalos, coached by Tad Boyle, set a school record with 26 victories, and won two NCAA Tournament games before falling to Marquette in the second round.

THREE SEASONS AT TEXAS CHRISTIAN
He enrolled at TCU out of high school and played for three seasons with the Horned Frogs under Coach Jamie Dixon. After seeing action in 10 games as a freshman, Lampkin started 32-of-33 games in his sophomore campaign of 2021-22. He averaged 6.8 points and 6.2 rebounds per contest and helped TCU finish 21-13 with an NCAA Tournament berth. In Lampkins' junior year, the Horned Frogs made a second consecutive NCAA postseason appearance and ended the campaign with a 22-13 overall record in 2o22-23. He started 19 of the 24 contests he competed in and average 6.3 points and 5.9 rebounds an outing.

MORTON RANCH HIGH SCHOOL
Lampkin was a prep standout at Morton Ranch High School (Texas). As a sophomore, Lampkin produced 11.5 points and 3.4 rebounds a contest and the Mavericks finished 24-10. Morton Ranch was 27-7 in 2018-19 and Lampkin averaged 14.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per outing. A four-star recruit according to Espn.com, Lampkin helped the Mavericks to a 27-9 record and the regional semifinals in 2019-20, his senior season. He averaged a double-double (11.6 ppg., 10.9 rpg.) that year. He was coached by Krish Turner. Lampkin was most valuable player of the 2019 Steph Curry UnderArmour Game. He had attended the Steph Curry Select Camp.

PERSONAL
He is the son of Eddie Sr. and Vanessa Lampkin.

AD6Y5832.JPG

Manhattan College Athletics

Syracuse basketball reaches out to NYC wing who was All-Rookie performer at Manhattan (itlh; Adler)

Seydou Traore, a freshman guard/forward at Manhattan who recently entered the transfer portal, has heard from a bunch of high-major programs, including Syracuse basketball, according to a media report.

The 6-foot-7, 215-pound Traore, who hails from the Bronx, N.Y., entered the portal on April 19, per 247Sports. Since that time, according to On3 national analyst/scout Jamie Shaw, Traore has heard from college squads such as the 'Cuse, USC, Georgetown, Florida State, Clemson, West Virginia, Louisville, Oregon and Michigan, among many others.

Manhattan transfer Seydou Traore tells @On3sports he has heard from the following programs since going in the Transfer Portal.

USC
Georgetown
Syracuse
Florida State
Clemson
West Virginia
Louisville
Oregon
VCU
Cincinnati
North Texas
Vanderbilt
Saint Louis
Richmond
Minnesota
San… https://t.co/59l6D6jbbw pic.twitter.com/k4zsAnnU5a
— Jamie Shaw (@JamieShaw5) April 20, 2024
Manhattan, located in the Bronx and a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference ("MAAC"), went 7-23 overall during the 2023-24 stanza, when Traore was a freshman.

This past season, Traore averaged 32.4 minutes, 11.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 blocks and 1.5 steals per game, while connecting on 43.3 percent from the field, 25.6 percent from 3-point land, and 80.0 percent from the free-throw line, according to ESPN data.

Projecting Syracuse’s Starting Lineup (orangefizz.net; Aitken)
College basketball rosters are far from set. However, Syracuse has around ten players that are worthy of playing, so it’s time for a first draft of a starting lineup and rotation.

Bench, Frontcourt: William Patterson and Naheem McLeod

There’s been plenty of Syracuse fans that have been pushing for the Orange to add another guard, but there isn’t much depth in the frontcourt. If this prediction of the Syracuse starting lineup stands, then there won’t be any sizable forwards off the bench. In fact, it’ll just be two centers. McLeod has some health issues, while Patterson hasn’t shown anything in college yet. The frontcourt depth is still a real issue for SU.

Bench, Backcourt: Chance Westry, Elijah Moore, and Kyle Cuffe

This is a tough group to parse through. Both Westry and Moore have arguments to start, while Cuffe had some solid minutes for the Orange last year. At the end of the day, there’s only five spots in the starting lineup. Westry should be a talented freshman, but has too much competition. Cuffe has never seemed worthy of starter’s minutes. Westry is the toughest exclusion from Syracuse’s starting lineup. He has so much potential as a former top-50 recruit, but with over a year of injuries, there’s too many questions to project him as a starter. Still, don’t be shocked if he ends the year in that group.

Starters: JJ Starling, Chris Bell, Jyare Davis, Donnie Freeman, and Eddie Lampkin

(youtube; radio; Orange Nation)

Syracuse men's basketball great Eric Devendorf joins Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia to discuss some events he has coming up with ED23Hoops, give some thoughts on the state of college basketball, and more. -- Watch live at

Syracuse Transfer Taylor Returning Home With Dukes (dnronline.com; Mettlen)

Midway through his college basketball career, Justin Taylor was ready for a homecoming.

Now he’s got it, as the Charlottesville native and Syracuse transfer is heading to James Madison.

Taylor, a 6-foot-6 swingman who averaged five points and four rebounds for the Orange as a sophomore, spent the past three years away from family and friends after playing his senior year of high school at IMG Academy in Florida.

Prior to that, he was a standout at St. Anne’s-Belfield in Charlottesville, bursting onto the scene as a four-star recruit who chose Syracuse over North Carolina, Butler and others.

Once he finishes the semester at Syracuse, it’s back to Virginia for Taylor, including six weeks this summer working out with the Dukes.

“If I’m not in Harrisonburg, I’ll probably be in Charlottesville,” Taylor said. “It’s a lot easier than being in Syracuse. I can just go home when I want to and stuff like that. It will just make it easier for my family and friends that live in Charlottesville to come to games. In Syracuse, it’s been great while I’m here, but it was tough to get home. And just going back closer to home and having that familiarity, that will be nice.”

The familiarity is definitely there.

Taylor’s mother, Kerri, is a JMU graduate who also played basketball for the Dukes while his sister, Ashley, played against JMU several times while at William & Mary.

Other

LXNJ64WO5VGT7NJQ6G76THL2OM.jpg

These video stills show Bruce Springsteen jamming on harmonica with 7-year-old Joe Kearsing of Liverpool, N.Y., who had a red toy harmonica at Springsteen's April 18, 2024, concert at the JMA Dome in Syracuse.Video stills

Harmonica kid: Bruce Springsteen gives young Syracuse fan a special moment, and souvenir (PS; Herbert)

Bruce Springsteen gave 30,000 people a fantastic concert in Syracuse on Thursday, but he gave one young fan a special souvenir — and an unforgettable moment.

During the nearly three-hour show, Springsteen left the E Street Band on stage several times to interact with the crowd standing in the pit. He happily shook hands, encouraged singalongs, and collected signs requesting songs (including ”Twist & Shout” and “Growin’ Up”) or with messages from kids “skipping school” to be at Syracuse University’s JMA Wireless Dome on a weeknight.

The Boss’ face especially lit up when he saw a young boy sitting on his father’s shoulders, wearing a “Born to Run”-esque leather jacket with gold hoop earrings and playing a red toy harmonica. Springsteen, who had thrown his guitar 10 feet to a crew member moments earlier, was playing his own harmonica as his famous backing band rocked out to “The Promised Land.”

Springsteen approached and started riffing with the child, 7-year-old Joe Kearsing of Liverpool, N.Y. The audience cheered as the impromptu jam session was shown on the big screen and Joe, fist-pumping along with the beat, became a temporary member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group.

IODYDETLJRHNTG5UHFDG44RF4I.jpg

Suzanne de Passe arrives for the 5th American Black Film Festival Honors at the 1 hotel in West Hollywood, California, on March 5, 2023. (Photo by Michael Tran | AFP via Getty Images)AFP via Getty Images

Syracuse University alumna who discovered Jackson 5 to be inducted in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (PS; $; Herbert)

A Syracuse University alumna will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year for her work as a music executive.

Suzanne de Passe, who graduated from SU in 1968 and is credited with discovering the Jackson 5, will receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award, the Rock Hall announced Sunday. She’ll be honored at the October induction ceremony alongside the 2024 class, including Mary J. Blige, Cher, Dave Matthews Band, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & The Gang, Ozzy Osbourne and A Tribe Called Quest.

De Passe, a Harlem native, began her career as a talent coordinator at the NYC nightspot the Cheetah Club and her friendship with Supremes member Cindy Birdsong led to a job as creative assistant to Motown founder Berry Gordy. The same year she graduated college, she helped sign the Jackson 5 — the pop/R&B group that featured a young Michael Jackson singing lead vocals on “I Want You Back” — to Motown’s label.

“I didn’t have any practical skills but I had a big mouth, a lot of input, and a lot of opinions. If I have any claim to fame in terms of the Jackson story, it was that I didn’t take no for an answer,” de Passe said. “I persisted. [Berry] finally saw them, and the rest is history.”