Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
cbed384436cb1044f5ff8fd273286b31.gif
Welcome to National Buttered Corn Day!

There are six different kinds of maize, or corn, and one of them is sweet corn, the kind that is most often celebrated on National Buttered Corn Day. Corn was first domesticated by Indigenous peoples in southern Mexico thousands of years ago, and more corn is now produced around the world than wheat or rice, although not all of it is used for human consumption. Sweet corn is picked when the kernels are still soft, and it is cooked in many different ways. Most commonly it is boiled or steamed on a stove, roasted or grilled on a grill or in an oven, or microwaved. Many times skewers are put on both ends of the cob after the husk is removed so it can can more easily be held, and butter, salt, and pepper are common seasonings used on the corn. It also can be cut off the cob and eaten with a fork. It can be a pretty healthy snack if it is not overloaded with butter and salt, as an ear of corn usually isn't much more than 100 calories, and is high in fiber. But, being that today is National Buttered Corn Day, you probably shouldn't worry too much about your health just this once.

SU News

5EYRTNUVM5GPPIK2QIGELN3EHE.JPG

Kiyan Anthony and Meleek Thomas high five during warm ups at Rucker Park in Harlem August 21, 2024. (Alexandra Moreo | Contributing photographer)

‘That’s Kiyan!’ Syracuse recruit creates a buzz in NYC with Melo and Knicks royalty sitting courtside (PS; $; Gutierrez)

A buzz of anticipation hung in the air around Rucker Park on Wednesday, three hours before the SLAM Summer Classic Vol. 6 tipped off.

Several hundred kids lined up around the intersection of Frederick Douglass Boulevard and West 155th Street in Harlem, all hoping for the same thing: a glimpse of some of the best high school players in the country.

They came for a showcase of basketball stardom, with New York Knicks royalty sitting courtside. Carmelo Anthony, the Syracuse and NBA legend, was there. John Starks and Jamal Crawford sat alongside NBA players Miles McBride and Cole Anthony.

The kids who were turned away at the gate — the crowd easily spilled over the park’s modest capacity — climbed the fences just to get a view of the action.

At the center of it all was Kiyan Anthony, Carmelo’s son and a top recruit for Adrian Autry and Syracuse basketball in the 2025 class.

“Kiyan! Kiyan!” kids yelled as he jogged out to the court for warmups. They pleaded with him and his father for selfies. They cheered when Kiyan’s mother, LaLa, entered the park. Then they all stood up to officially welcome a star of the night.

Mail Call: St. John's quiet cycle, Syracuse's chances with Lewis (nbcsports.com; Cassidy)

You have questions? Rivals national analyst Rob Cassidy has answers … most of the time. This week, Cassidy digs into his online mail bag to field questions about St. John’s quiet recruiting cycle, Syracuse’s chances with Acaden Lewis and the front-runners to land a pair of four-star prospects.

It’s still pretty early in the recruitments of both Hudson Greer and Darius Adams, but the picture is starting to clear enough to make it safe to signal out a small group of “serious players” for each.
While making a few calls asking where Adams stands, the names I heard most closely linked to the five-star guard were Alabama, Tennessee and Michigan State. Putting those three programs in order, however, is a bit tricky due to the fact that Adams himself may not have established a pecking order in his own head just yet. Still, recent intel I’ve gathered suggests that those three programs will be in the mix until the end, and it seems pretty likely that one of the three will eventually be the pick.

As for Greer, I’d peg Arizona as the slight leader for the time being with Kansas running in a close second and very much within striking distance. The Jayhawks and Wildcats are jockeying for position at the top, but I’ve also been told UConn is a dark horse that could make a move depending on how Greer’s official visit to Storrs on Oct. 11 plays out. Right now, I see it as a top two that could become a top three down the road, with the order being Arizona, Kansas and UConn. It seems highly unlikely that a program outside of those three lands the four-star wing.

Well, it’s certainly not an ideal development for the Orange. The good news is that rumors of UConn’s pivot from Meleek Thomas to Acaden Lewis are extremely surface level as the reasons for such a thing seem murky at the time being. That said, if the defending champs do indeed intend to cut bait with Thomas in order to pursue Lewis – a rumor I‘ve not been able to independently confirm – the Huskies are gonna be difficult for Syracuse to hold off.
The market for Lewis is becoming more crowded by the week, which is obviously not great news for a Syracuse program attempting to show continued upward trajectory under second-year head coach Adrian Autry, who won 20 games but missed the NCAA tournament in his debut season. I won’t rule ‘Cuse out because there’s serious mutual interest there, but Autry and company are going to have a fight on their hands to say the very least.
The hard but obvious truth of the matter is that Syracuse has not qualified for the NCAA tournament since 2021, and it makes standing toe-to-toe with the big boys difficult if the NIL money is anywhere close to equal.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star Jordan Smith sets Duke visit, notes teams in most contact (itlh; Adler)

By all accounts, Syracuse basketball coaches are prioritizing 2026 five-star shooting guard Jordan Smith Jr. from the talent-rich Washington, D.C., market.

At the same time, the Orange staff is facing hefty - and growing - competition for the 6-foot-3 Smith, who is ranked as high as No. 3 nationally in his class and has evolved into a significant contender for the No. 1 overall spot in the 2026 cycle, according to recent comments by some national analysts.

Smith is a standout rising junior at the powerhouse St. Paul VI Catholic High School in Chantilly, Va., after earning All-America honors as a sophomore for this elite program. His offer sheet has grown to more than 20, including blue-blood squads such as Duke, North Carolina, two-time defending national champion Connecticut, Kansas and numerous other heavyweight teams.

Now, for a bit of context, the Orange staff offered a scholarship to Smith in early May of 2023. The 'Cuse has been recruiting him longer than many other suitors, and Smith said earlier this summer that he's likely to take an official visit to Syracuse basketball at some point.

Five-star Jordan Smith Jr. speaks highly of the Syracuse basketball coaching staff.

In various recent interviews, Smith has said a lot of positive things about the Orange staff, which has deep recruiting ties to both St. Paul VI and his AAU program, the D.C.-based Team Takeover in Nike’s EYBL league.

Per several media reports this week, Smith plans to go on an unofficial visit to fellow Atlantic Coast Conference school Duke on September 28. Recruiting insider Sam Kayser, who runs the X account 24/7 High School Hoops, noted in a post that Michigan State, Louisville, Duke and Kansas are the four schools Smith is "hearing from a lot right now."

Syracuse basketball may get another visit from 4-star PG Keyshuan Tillery, experts say (itlh; Adler)

Discussions continue regarding 2025 four-star point guard and top-50 national prospect Keyshuan Tillery taking another visit to Syracuse basketball, two sources told me on Thursday evening.

Nothing has been finalized at this time, and a visit by the 6-foot-1 Tillery to the Orange in the coming months still may or may not happen, I've been told.

Tillery, an Albany, N.Y., native, is a fast-rising prospect in the 2025 cycle. He's climbed inside the top 50 of his class, per ESPN, while the industry-generated On3 Industry Ranking places him at No. 74 around the country.

In late August of last year, Tillery took an unofficial visit to the 'Cuse to play in the Orange's annual Elite Camp. It was around that time that the Syracuse basketball staff offered him a scholarship.

Syracuse basketball could get a second visit from 2025 four-star point guard Keyshuan Tillery.

Over the spring and summer, Tillery was deemed a top performer on the AAU circuit by national analysts and scouts while starring for the 17U team of the Albany-based City Rocks in Nike's EYBL league.

Amid the most recent AAU season, dating back to late May, Tillery has seen his recruitment blow up, adding a bunch of new offers, including a recent one from Kansas. His current offer sheet totals 27, per 247Sports.

You may not fully believe what Carmelo Anthony said about his U.S. gold medals. But wouldn’t you like to? (PS; Benz; TNS)

The necessary disclosure for this column is that, as a Syracuse University graduate, I’m predisposed to stick up for Carmelo Anthony on just about all fronts.

He arrived on campus a few years after I graduated and finally won an NCAA basketball championship for our school during his freshman season.

Therefore, I’m a little biased. That said, I’d stick up for Melo when it comes to the recent headlines he made whether he went to Syracuse, Pitt, Michigan State, Baylor, Washington or Georgeto...

Well, maybe not Georgetown.

But, last week, the retired NBA All-Star got some folks riled up because he told “BasketNews” that he wouldn’t trade his three Olympic gold medals for a single NBA ring.

“I’ve never been asked that question. No,” Anthony said to Donatas Urbonas. “It’s a different level of, I would say, pride that you have to have when you’re wearing USA across your chest, or you’re wearing Lithuania across your chest. It’s a totally different feeling than Knicks, New York across your chest.”

Anthony took heat from some basketball fans for that quote. People didn’t believe he was being honest. Others thought he was minimizing what winning a title would’ve meant to one of the many cities where Anthony played in his career — particularly New York.

ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith sounded flat-out offended that Anthony would say such a thing.

The general blowback is that Anthony is only saying that because he never actually won an NBA title.

National radio host Zach Gelb called out Anthony for being disingenuous during a commentary that aired on the Infinity Sports Network.

“I get it’s a tremendous honor to represent your country at the Olympics. But does anyone actually believe him,” Gelb asked. “No one remembers that Carmelo won three gold medals, but everyone remembers that he never won an NBA title. And regardless as to what he says, there’s no way I would rather have three gold medals compared to one NBA championship. If Carmelo was actually being honest, he would share that same sentiment.”

Perhaps.

However, even if Anthony is less than transparent in his answer, wouldn’t it be nice if some in the American basketball community actually did feel that way?

These days, I get the sense that Team USA Basketball’s main goal is just to avoid losing gold, more than winning it.

That’s no one’s fault. It’s just the nature of America’s place high atop the basketball ecosystem — but with many other countries making rapid gains.

Other

3U5Y4V3FENCZZLUUHS72WTW6JY.jpg

Sam and Carol Nappi (back row, center,) pose outside their home in the town of Pompey with the Dalai Lama (seated, center) and six members of his monk delegation, all of whom stayed with the Nappis this summer.Courtesy of Carol Nappi

Where does the Dalai Lama spend 6 weeks recovering from surgery? With his friends in Syracuse (PS; Krauss)

The Dalai Lama, a world spiritual leader who typically draws big crowds anywhere he goes, quietly spent this summer at a suburban home outside Syracuse without much of anyone knowing.

His Holiness, as he is called, spent six weeks recovering from knee replacement surgery at the Jamesville home of Sam and Carol Nappi, who have known the 89-year-old Dalai Lama for years.

He departed Tuesday for New York City. Members of the Tibetan Community of North America will gather Thursday at the 19,000-seat UBS Arena to pray for him, according to the Dalai Lama’s website. The exiled spiritual leader of Tibet will return to his home in India Aug. 28.

The Nappis are traveling with the Dalai Lama and his entourage today in New York City, Sam Nappi said.
“His Holiness is a dear friend,’’ Nappi said by text message today. “We keep in touch by visiting (him) in India every few years.”

The Dalai Lama had knee replacement surgery June 28 in New York City. The Nappis arranged for the surgery, working with the Dalai Lama’s emissary, secretaries and physicians, Nappi said.

The family also coordinated his follow-up therapy sessions at their home just outside Jamesville in the town of Pompey, working with doctors and therapists from Upstate University Hospital.

(Sam and Carol Nappi donated $8 million in 2017 to establish the Nappi Wellness Institute on the SUNY Upstate Medical Center campus.)

Except for one brief visit to a Buddhist monastery in Ithaca, the Dalai Lama was housebound for the entire six weeks, Nappi said. On Aug. 16, His Holiness was transported by helicopter to Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist Studies. State police assisted with security.

Nappi said he also was grateful to Syracuse police, the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Department of State for their help with security during the Dalai Lama’s stay. The state department provides security for the Dalai Lama anywhere he travels in the U.S.

QY6WPJFKGND5TLTXMFHISUKKNY.JPG

Joey Fatone of *NSYNC performs with AJ McLean of the Backstreet Boys in Suburban Park on opening day of the New York State Fair Wednesday, August 21, 2024, in Geddes, N.Y. (Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com)

2 pop singers just raised the bar for NYS Fair concerts (review, photos, set list) (PS; $; Herbert)

What are the best New York State Fair concerts of all time? Are they nostalgic or fresh? A collection of hits, or a mix of songs old and new? Are they highlighted by a live band, dancing, crowd interaction or energetic improvisations? Do they go above and beyond expectations?

For AJ McLean and Joey Fatone, it’s all of the above.

The former boy band stars, best known for their work with the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC, respectively, just raised the bar for what makes a great concert at the NYS Fair. The pair teamed up for “A Legendary Night” at Suburban Park on Wednesday, backed by a seven-piece band (with a horn section!) and DJ Reg West, who started the party an hour early with a pitch perfect throwback mix while fans eagerly danced in the rain.

At 8:01 p.m., the show officially started with the “Saved by the Bell” theme song as the band hustled on stage, soon followed by Fatone and McLean. The two sang along together to songs from each other’s discography, starting with *NSYNC’s “Pop” and “I Want You Back,” followed by BSB’s Y2K smash “Larger Than Life.”

Then Fatone threw us a curveball, delivering a solo, Sinatra-esque 1950s swing style version of “Tearin’ Up My Heart.” And it was good. In a group that featured Justin Timberlake and JC Chasez, less dedicated fans might forget that Fatone and bandmates Lance Bass and Chris Kirkpatrick could also sing very well.

Suddenly, all expectations of just a corny rehashing of the days of MTV’s “Total Request Live” went out the window. Fatone said things were going to get “weird,” and he wasn’t wrong.

McLean explained that he and Fatone didn’t come just to sing Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC songs. To prove it, he started reminiscing on days gone by, before iPhones and the internet, when reading the TV Guide (which once featured *NSYNC on multiple covers) was common. They started singing the theme songs from “Cheers,” “Friends,” “Golden Girls” and “The Greatest American Hero” — plus “SpongeBob SquarePants” and an improvised fan request for “Pokemon.” The segment was way longer than it needed to be, but no one cared because everyone was having fun, especially Fatone.

The show shifted to a collection of ballads, including Backstreet Boys’ “I’ll Never Break Your Heart” and “All I Have to Give” and *NSYNC’s “I Drive Myself Crazy” and “This I Promise You.” Every woman in the audience instantly melted, becoming teenage fans all over again.

The party returned with performances of “It’s Gonna Be Me” and a Latin-style remix of BSB’s “The Call.” Fatone and McLean sometimes added goofy facial expressions or fake sexy moves. (Maybe they were real sexy moves in the 1990s or early 2000s, but they couldn’t take themselves too seriously as McLean is now 46 and Fatone is 47. McLean’s muscles are less toned and more tattooed than back in the day, while Fatone’s hair is a mix of gray and white instead of his ‘90s red-frosted tips.)

NYS Fair concert guide: Country singer and a rock legend on Day 2 (Thursday, Aug. 22) (PS; $; Herbert)

Welcome to our daily New York State Fair concert guide! We’ll be publishing a list of music performers and showtimes every day of the 2024 NYS Fair on syracuse.com.

There are two main stages: Suburban Park and Chevy Court. Suburban Park will host the Fair’s largest concerts in the New York Experience area on the west end near Gate 10, in the back of the Midway and past the Expo Center. Chevy Court is located near Gate 1, next to the Center of Progress Building and by the Dairy Products Building. Both have limited seating available.

No tickets are required for concerts. All are free with admission to the Fair, which is $8 this year — and free for seniors 65 and older and kids 12 and under. Thursday, Aug. 22, is Student Youth Day, which means free admission for youth and students and 18 and younger.

Here’s what to expect on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2024 (Day 2):

RVSHVD - 1 p.m. at Chevy Court

RVSHVD (pronounced “Ra-Shad” — the V’s are A’s) is a Georgia native best known for his 2020 country version of Roddy Ricch’s rap song “Ballin,” which went viral with more than 25 million streams across Spotify, TikTok, Apple and YouTube. His songs also include “Colt 45 (Country Remix)” with Cooper Alan, “Shoebox Money,” a remix of Trey Lewis’ “D--ked Down in Dallas,” and collaborations with Ice Nine Kills, Asking Alexandria’s Danny Worsnop and rapper Paul Wall.

Ace Frehley - 6 p.m. at Chevy Court

The original lead guitarist for KISS, also known as the “Spaceman,” was a co-founding member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group behind hits like “Rock and Roll All Nite,” “Detroit Rock City,” “Shock Me” and “I Was Made for Lovin’ You.” Frehley is promoting his new solo album, “10,000 Hits,” building on his career that includes “New York Groove” and being named one of the Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists of All Time by Guitar World magazine.

Warren Zeiders headlines Day 2 of the NYS Fair (photos) (PS; $; Schild)

Rain exited stage left and pure sunshine filled day two of the New York State Fair. Warren Zeiders took the Suburban Park Stage at sunset to a screaming crowd. The audience, a mix of many age groups, danced and sang along with his performance.

Zeiders, a Pennsylvania native, is a country singer who built a loyal following with covers and viral hits “Ride the Lightning” and “Pretty Little Poison,” both of which have more than 140 million streams on Spotify. He also has more than 1.4 billion global TikTok views and sold out his first-ever tour in less than three days.

2024 NYS FAIR CONCERT SCHEDULE

Aug. 22 at 1 p.m.: RVSHVD at Chevy Court

Aug. 22 at 6 p.m.: Ace Frehley at Chevy Court

Aug. 22 at 8 p.m.: Warren Zeiders at Suburban Park

Aug. 23 at 1 p.m.: Sophie B. Hawkins at Chevy Court

Aug. 23 at 6 p.m.: Sister Sledge at Chevy Court

Aug. 23 at 8 p.m.: TLC at Suburban Park

Aug. 24 at 1 p.m.: Kidz Bop at Chevy Court

Aug. 24 at 6 p.m.: Ying Yang Twins at Chevy Court

Aug. 24 at 8 p.m.: Chevelle at Suburban Park

Aug. 25 at 1 p.m.: The Elders at Chevy Court

Aug. 25 at 6 p.m.: Dax at Chevy Court

Aug. 25 at 8 p.m.: Dropkick Murphys at Suburban Park

Aug. 26 at 1 p.m.: Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone at Chevy Court

Aug. 26 at 6 p.m.: CAIN at Chevy Court

Aug. 26 at 8 p.m.: Megan Moroney at Suburban Park

Aug. 27 at 1 p.m.: Little Anthony & The Imperials at Chevy Court

Aug. 27 at 6 p.m.: Blue Öyster Cult at Chevy Court

Aug. 27 at 8 p.m.: Stephen Sanchez at Suburban Park

Aug. 28 at 1 p.m.: Crystal Gayle at Chevy Court

Aug. 28 at 6 p.m.: Danielle Ponder at Chevy Court

Aug. 28 at 8 p.m.: Joan Jett & The Blackhearts at Suburban Park

Aug. 29 at 1 p.m.: Tom Nitti at Chevy Court

Aug. 29 at 6 p.m.: Chapel Hart at Chevy Court

Aug. 29 at 8 o.m.: Flo Rida at Suburban Park

Clearer skies bring more than 50,000 people to Day 2 of NYS Fair (PS; $; Alba)

Warmer weather brought 15,000 more people to the New York State Fair for Day 2 when compared to opening day.

Thursday’s attendance of 53,707 is larger than the last two Day 2′s of the fair but is short of the record of 86,353 set in 2018.

Only a little more than 38,000 came out for opening day on Wednesday. Going back to 1990, the average opening day attendance has been about 57,000.

Total attendance so far this year is 91,922.

Friday is Pride Day and New Americans Day at the fair.

A Progress Flag Raising outside the main gate kicks off festivities at 9:30 a.m., with other ceremonies, drag shows, performances and a parade to follow.

More than 100 people from dozens of countries will also become U.S. citizens during a naturalization ceremony at 11 a.m. at Daniella’s Seafood and Pasta House.

Check out the fair’s daily schedule here.

Tully’s owners pick location for new CopperTop restaurant in Onondaga County (PS; $; Doran)

The owners of Tully’s Good Times plan to open a new CopperTop Tavern in Onondaga County.

The Syracuse-based Giamartino family owns the Tully’s and CopperTop Tavern franchises.

The Giamartinos have purchased the former Stone’s Restaurant at 3220 Erie Blvd. East in DeWitt and plan to convert it into a CopperTop tavern. They paid $2.2 million for the property in July.

Stone’s closed in 2022.

The project is before the town of DeWitt planning board tonight. It would need site plan approval, but since it was a restaurant previously the family doesn’t expect any problems, David Giamartino said Thursday.

Giamartino said the new restaurant would have seating for about 250 people.

He expects it would likely open in spring 2025, between April and June.

Giamartino said the location is ideal.

“We have been looking for something in the Fayetteville or DeWitt area for some time, and with the Tully’s just down the street it’s a perfect spot,” he said.

John Paul, David and Daniel Giamartino are partners in the venture.

There are CopperTop Taverns in Camillus, Cicero and another in Vestal.

Tully’s has more than a dozen locations in Central New York and one in Clarks Summit, Pa.

The Giamartinos also operated Good Buddy’s in Camillus for 10 years, but closed that restaurant in February.

The first CopperTop opened in Cicero in 2007.

The casual restaurant, known for its copper-topped bar, offers American dishes with European and Asian influences.