Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to Thoughtful Thursday!

Thoughtful Thursday is a time to be mindful of others—at home, work, and in public—and realize that they may have thoughts, concerns, and needs that we haven't been aware of. It is a day to try to be more aware of their feelings and to be more considerate and thoughtful. The day is part of Be Kind to Humankind Week, which is "a celebration of people and the kind acts that they perform all across the globe." Lorraine Jara created the week in 1988 after reading a story about two young men in her town of Toms River, New Jersey, who had flipped over in a rowboat. Two ladies from another boat pulled them out of the cold water, but their boat was not motorized and they didn't have a radio to call for help. Two boats with radio antennas passed and did not stop to help. A person from one of those boats apparently even said, "We don't want to be bothered." One of the two boaters who had fallen in the water ended up dying. Jara was devastated by what had happened in her town and wanted to honor the memory of the deceased man, so she started Be Kind to Humankind Week.

SU News

UVDU6VRWIJHEXL4PPUEN75PRCU.jpg

Syracuse guard JJ Starling hopes to lead the Orange back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2021. (Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com) dnett@syracuse.com

What constitutes a successful season for Syracuse basketball? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

The calendar says it’s football season, but here at the Mailbox, it’s always basketball season.

A closer check of the calendar shows the start of the 2024-25 college basketball season is just two months away. It’s practically here!

And the questions continue to pour into the Mailbox. We’ll start with a look at Syracuse’s expectations for the upcoming season, the Orange’s recruiting efforts and more.

Let’s get started.

(If you have a question for the Mailbox, email it to mwaters@syracuse.com).

Q: What is your bar for saying this upcoming year is a successful season?

Rob A.

Mike:
Gauging a team’s success depends on one’s perspective. My bar for a successful season could be completely different from the next guy’s opinion.

I know that Syracuse fans desperately want to see the Orange return to the NCAA Tournament after missing out on the last three years.

I think Syracuse has a good chance of snapping that three-year NCAA Tournament drought, but what if the Orange comes up just short of a bid?

Just this week, ESPN’s Joe Lunardi put out an early Bracketology and did not include Syracuse in his NCAA field.

Brendan Marks of The Athletic recently published his early predictions for the ACC and had Syracuse finishing 11th. Remember that Syracuse finished the 2023-24 season tied for fifth with Clemson and was not even on the NCAA bubble.

I believe in setting high, but reasonable, goals. The Syracuse coaches and players should enter the season with the goal of getting back into the NCAA Tournament. That would be a very successful season.

If the Orange falls short of that goal? I think there’s still room for a successful season just by showing continued improvement and taking steps toward the ultimate goal of becoming an NCAA Tournament regular again.

Q: Wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr.’s response to Zaire Franklin that there was “not a chance” of Syracuse being in his top five when considering his college destination because Syracuse hasn’t had a wide receiver drafted in years got me thinking about basketball recruiting.

It’s great that Coach Autry is aiming high going after elite high school talent, and it’s paying off with the likes of Donnie Freeman and Sadiq White. So props to him and his staff. But to consistently compete with college’s bluebloods for this level of talent, how important is it for Syracuse to have players drafted into the NBA, first round preferably, and do schools use this lack of success against SU?

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star Philly recruit arrives in top 20 nationally in new rankings (itlh; Adler)

A new Syracuse basketball recruit debuts in the inaugural national rankings from a primary recruiting service in the top 20 around the country.

This week, published its initial top 60 prospects nationwide in the 2027 class. Zion Green, a Philadelphia product who was offered by the Orange earlier this summer, checks in as four stars and No. 20 overall, per .

The 6-foot-8 Green is a top-flight power forward who attends the powerhouse Imhotep Institute Charter High School in Philadelphia. Per media reports, on the AAU circuit, he plays for the New Jersey Scholars in Nike's EYBL league.

In late June, the 'Cuse coaching staff offered a scholarship to Green, according to a post on X from THE MILLER REPORT, a premiere sports media entity and scouting service.

Syracuse basketball has gotten involved early on with 2027 four-star prospect Zion Green.

According to the Verbal Commits Web site, Green holds offers from the Orange, Penn State and UTEP.

However, his offer sheet will expand. For one, college coaches can begin initiating direct communication with 2027 players on June 15 of next year. Once that 2027 contact period opens, I'm highly confident that Green will see his offer list grow, if not sooner than that.

The rising sophomore is also a top-20 national prospect in his cycle, per ESPN. When I wrote this article, ESPN placed Green at No. 19 overall, No. 6 at power forward and No. 1 in Pennsylvania within the 2027 class.

As a freshman during the 2023-24 campaign, Green was part of a terrific Imhotep team that sported a 29-3 overall record and won the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association ("PIAA") Class 5A championship this past March.

Following the conclusion of 2023-24, MaxPreps ranked Imhotep as the No. 29 high school program nationwide as well as the No. 1 group in Pennsylvania.

In late June, amid a scholastic live period, the Syracuse basketball staff was on hand to watch Green at the Philly Live event in a contest between Imhotep and the Andrews Osborne Academy from Willoughby, Ohio, according to an X post from top scout Ari Rosenfeld, the owner of ELITE High School Scouting.

Syracuse Basketball: As 4-star Shon Abaev set to visit, an update on his recruitment (itlh; Adler)

Fast-rising Shon Abaev, who was one of the best all-around performers in the most recent AAU season earlier this spring and summer, is scheduled to take an official visit to Syracuse basketball this weekend.

The 6-foot-8 Abaev, a four-star wing/small forward and a top-40 national prospect in the 2025 class, has been praised time and time again in recent months by analysts and scouts for his versatile scoring prowess.

Abaev's official visit to the Orange coincides with Syracuse football kicking off its 2024 season this Saturday afternoon, when the 'Cuse will host non-conference foe Ohio at the JMA Wireless Dome in the first game with first-year head coach Fran Brown at the helm of the program.

I certainly hope that if Orange fans see Shon on the Hill this weekend, they show him a lot of love!

A standout rising senior at the Calvary Christian Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Abaev was electric this spring and summer while starring for the 17U team of the Pembroke Pines, Fla.-based SOH Elite in the Under Armour Association ("UAA") league. He was offered a scholarship by the 'Cuse in late April of this year.

Inside Syracuse Basketball: Brendan Marks of The Athletic predicts the final ACC standings (youtube; podcast; Syracuse Orange)

Brendan Marks of The Athletic joins Mike Waters and discusses his article where he predicts the final ACC basketball standings in August.

Other

QI52KCAUYNBWRGYSH33NS3D4WI.jpg

Thousands packed Chevy Court to see Hermin's Hermits perform at the New York State Fair. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

50,700 come out on Day 8 of 2024 NYS Fair (PS; $; Alba)

Day 8 of the 2024 New York State Fair drew 50,700 people to the fairgrounds on Wednesday.

Total attendance now stands at just under 500,000 with five days remaining.

Thursday is Armed Forces Day. Members of the military will be given free admission with a military ID.

It’s also opening day for the Latino Village, which will run for an extra day this year. Food vendors, dances and other performances will be held near Gate 9 on the west side of the fairgrounds.

The fair runs through Labor Day, Sept. 2.

Check out its daily schedule here.

NY State Fair forecast for Day 9: Enjoy the sunshine before possible rain at night (PS; $; Moss)

Fairgoers can enjoy warm weather and sunshine at the New York State Fair Thursday before possible rain at night.

Temperatures will reach 76 degrees with partly sunny skies, according to the National Weather Service.

There is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms beginning around 8 p.m., the service said. The low will be around 64 degrees.

Nearly 440,000 people have visited the Fair so far this year.

Thursday is Day 9 of the 2024 fair. The fair ends on Labor Day, Sept. 2.

Rochester native Danielle Ponder performs at the NYS Fair (photos) (PS; $; Schild)

Danielle Ponder performed at Chevy Court on day 8 of the NYS Fair.

Ponder released her debut album , “Some Of Us are Brave,” in 2022 after working in the Monroe County Public Defender’s Office for nearly a decade, including as a public defender and as a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion officer. Her powerful voice brought her to Europe as an opener for funk legend George Clinton and she’s also toured with folk-rock musician Marcus Mumford and indie-pop group Lucius. Her own songs, including the standout “So Long” and the Karate Boogaloo collaboration “Little Bit,” similarly dance between multiple genres including pop, R&B, blues, rock, soul and trip-hop.

According to a press release, much of Ponder’s music and lyrics mirror her experience in social activism. She was inspired to pursue law after her brother received a 20-year sentence as a result of a “three strikes” law, she served as a leader in the Black Lives Matter movement in Rochester, and she continues to advocate for criminal justice reform. Her album’s title track, “Some of Us Are Brave,” was inspired by a book she read in law school, “All the Women are White, All the Blacks are Men: But Some of Us Are Brave” by Barbara Smith.

“I think these songs can mean a million different things to a million different people. But, I hope there are songs that make them feel encouraged, songs that make them feel brave, songs that help them feel seen, and even songs they just cry to,” Danielle said of her music, according to her website.

This year she wrote Egún as the theme song for the Apple TV+ series, “Manhunt.”

2024 NYS FAIR CONCERT SCHEDULE

Aug. 29 at 1 p.m.: Tom Nitti at Chevy Court
Aug. 29 at 6 p.m.: Chapel Hart at Chevy Court
Aug. 29 at 8 p.m.: Flo Rida at Suburban Park
Aug. 30 at 1 p.m.: The Cleverlys at Chevy Court
Aug. 30 at 6 p.m.: Josh Ross at Chevy Court
Aug. 30 at 9 p.m.: DJ Swiftie at Chevy Court
Aug. 30 at 8 p.m.: Big Boi at Suburban Park
Aug. 31 from 12-10 p.m.: JAMS Funk Fest 2024 f/ Raydio at 6:30 p.m. & TMF at 8 p.m. at Chevy Court
Aug. 31 at 8 p.m.: Brian Kelley at Suburban Park
Sept. 1 at 1 p.m.: “Blippi: The Wonderful World Tour” at Chevy Court
Sept. 1 at 6 p.m.: Snow Tha Product at Chevy Court
Sept. 1 at 8 p.m.: Rick Ross
Sept. 2 at 12 p.m. & 4 p.m.: Journey From the Heart at Chevy Court
Sept. 2 at 6 p.m.: Jackyl at Suburban Park

Don’t miss Hootie & The Blowfish in Syracuse: How to get tickets under $20 (PS; Kemeny)

Hootie & the Blowfish are bringing their “Summer Camp with Trucks Tour” to Syracuse’s Empower FCU Amphitheater at Lakeview on Friday, September 6. The concert starts at 7 p.m., with special guests Collective Soul and Edwin McCain opening.

This will be Hootie’s first Syracuse concert since performing at the New York State Fair in 2007 with Counting Crows and the band’s first time touring since 2019, following their 2018 return after a ten-year hiatus.

“Edwin McCain told someone at the time that touring with us felt like summer camp with trucks… and that’s exactly how we want next year to feel, too,” lead guitarist Mark Bryan said in a statement reflecting on the tour’s name. “We can’t wait for you to join us!”

Where to buy Hootie & The Blowfish concert tickets

Limited standard admission tickets are available online through Live Nation, where prices start at $36.30 for lawn general admission. However, greater availability and deals are offered by secondary market platforms like Vivid Seats, SeatGeek and StubHub.

Here’s a look at the best resale prices available (including fees):

Prices and availability are noted at the time of publishing and are subject to change.

What is Hootie & The Blowfish’s setlist?

Hootie & The Bloshfish’s setlists vary by show. Based on past setlists from setlist.fm, fans can expect something similar to the one below:

1. I Go Blind (54-40 cover)
  2. Wishing
  3. I Will Wait
  4. Time
  5. Running From an Angel
  6. For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield cover)
  7. Hannah Jane
  8. Not Even the Trees
  9. Will the Circle Be Unbroken? / Desert Mountain Showdown
  10. I Hope I Don’t Fall in Love With You (Tom Waits cover)
  11. Wagon Wheel (Old Crow Medicine Show cover)
  12. Miss California
  13. Hey, Hey, What Can I Do (Led Zeppelin cover)
  14. Solitude (Edwin McCain cover)
  15. Old Man & Me (When I Get to Heaven)
  16. Let Her Cry
  17. Losing My Religion (R.E.M. cover)
  18. Alright (Darius Rucker song)
  19. Hold My Hand
  20. Go and Tell Him (Soup Song)
  21. Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots cover)
  22. Only Wanna Be With You

Syracuse cheese shop owner to open new restaurant, The Wedge in Eastwood (PS; $; Tulloch)

Syracuse’s award-winning cheesemonger Sarah Simiele has plans to expand her cheese dynasty beyond The Curd Nerd.

Simiele and her team will open The Wedge, a new cheese-centric bar in Eastwood, billed as a cozy, inviting space with artisan cheeses and perfectly paired drinks.

The Wedge will be located right next door to The Curd Nerd, in the space at 2802 James St. It was previously occupied by The Marketplace on James and Tip-A-Few.

“We’re hopeful to open before the end of 2024,” Simiele told syracuse.com. “The goal is to have a smaller food offering when we first open, focused on cheese boards and cheese-centric snacks.”

At the start of 2025, she will expand the menu to rotate seasonal, shareable plates with a focus on cheese and artisanal foods.
The Wedge will offer rotational, seasonal, shareable plates with a focus on cheese and artisanal foods, next door to The Curd Nerd on James Street.

In the past couple of years, The Curd Nerd expanded its offerings beyond cheese to sell a variety of specialty groceries, including eggs, nuts, pasta, tinned fish, sauces, olives, bread, crackers and milk. In the summer, they sell flower bouquets.

The Eastwood corner shop carries 75-100 cheeses at a time.

Simiele said some customers ask often if they will move. Perhaps they want to expand downtown or to more affluent suburb?

“We get asked 40 times a week to move somewhere else,” she said. “But why? Because you came here anyway.”