Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

121414_S_MBBLATEch14_LarryReidJr_SP.jpg

To defeat No. 7 Villanova on Saturday, Syracuse will have to perform better than its last game — a narrow win over Louisiana Tech — and its two losses before then, if it hopes to extend its trend of competitiveness against Top 10 teams.

SU Basketball Stat Pack: How the Orange Has Fared Against Top 10 Teams in the Last 5 Years (DO; Dougherty)

The last time Syracuse faced a Top 10 team while unranked, its absence from the Associated Press Top 25 seemed like a mistake.

The only unranked squad to make the semifinals of the 2009 2K Sports Classic, the Orange beat No. 13 California on Nov. 19 before winning the tune-up tournament over No. 6 North Carolina the next night. SU used a 22-1 second-half run and 25 points from Wesley Johnson to best the Tar Heels, and catapulted to No. 10 in the country three days later.

Now — five years and one month later — the Orange (6-3) will face No. 7 Villanova (10-0) at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia on Saturday, and the situation is far different. SU head coach Jim Boeheim said the Orange is “not anywhere near a good basketball team” after a narrow win over Louisiana Tech on Saturday, and a date with its former Big East rival comes at a crucial point of its early season.

everybodypanic-520x607.png

Boeheim Confirms All Hope is Lost for Syracuse Basketball (sujuiceonline.com; Goodman)

Did you see what Coach said? Did you read the transcript of Jim Boeheim’s post-game press conference, after a victory no less, Sunday night? If not, go find it and come back to me.

I’m waiting.

Okay so we are on the same page, right? This season is 9 games old and it’s already over.

“This team is not anywhere near a good basketball team,” Boeheim said of the Orange after a 71-69 victory over Louisiana State. “Anywhere near. I’ve never said that since I’ve been here. Not that they couldn’t be. But they’re not.”

Never? Wow. Why is this team so bad, Coach?

“I don’t know,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know. I may have thought. … Whatever I thought, they’re not.”

11042013_N_LouReed_FilePhoto.jpg

Lou Reed (center) plays in front of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity house in 1961 or 1962. Reed, an influential music legend, developed much of his musical style while a student at Syracuse University.

SU Alumnus Lou Reed to be Inducted Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (DO; Ramirez)

Lou Reed, a 1964 Syracuse University alumnus, will be honored posthumously as one of the 2015 inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the museum announced Tuesday. The induction ceremony will take place at Cleveland’s Public Hall on April 18, 2015.

Reed, who died in 2013 at the age of 71, studied poetry and journalism while at SU. He was the frontman for his band, L.A. and the Eldorados, during his college years.

L.A. and the Eldorados played all around central New York, including regular shows at Cornell and Colgate universities. On campus, the band made money by playing at fraternity parties.

After graduating from SU, Reed returned to New York City, where he grew up. He formed the band Velvet Underground and became its lead singer and songwriter. His talent eventually gave him the name “the Godfather of Punk.”

Observations: We get a read on Arizona during trip to UTEP, UNLV (CBSSports)

ACC faces tall task in reaching old Big East standards: While the ACC is very strong at the top -- Duke, Louisville, and Virginia will be ranked in the top 10 most of the season -- it drops off significantly after the top three. North Carolina already has lost three games, while Syracuse and Pitt look like they're headed for subpar seasons. Toss in Florida State losing leading scorer in Aaron Thomas and this league is extremely top-heavy with a second tier highlighted by the Tar Heels, Notre Dame and Miami. When Louisville joined, many believed the ACC could potentially be the best league in college hoops history. But so far it hardly resembles the old Big East, which produced 11 NCAA Tournament teams in 2011, with UConn (9-9 in Big East play that season) winning it all. The ACC probably will put six or seven teams in the field of 68, but it's nowhere near meeting old Big East standards.