Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

http://imgix.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./142/1429092.jpg?w=600&h=360&fit=max

Kaleb Joseph Looks to Increase Consistency, Earn More Playing Time for Syracuse (DO; Dougherty)

Kaleb Joseph made it past the first half’s under-16 media timeout.

That’s not much of a feat for a starting point guard, but it’s been far from a guarantee for the freshman this season. Against Pittsburgh on Saturday, Joseph survived for more than six minutes before he drove toward the basket and traveled in traffic.

As the play unfolded, SU head coach Jim Boeheim flapped his arms in frustration before turning and pointing at Ron Patterson to sub into the game. When Patterson hesitated, Boeheim turned again and yelled for the backup guard to hustle to the scorer’s table.

By the time the Panthers inbounded the ball to start the next play, Joseph was on the bench chatting with assistant coach Gerry McNamara. It’s a spot he’s been in often this season, but will look to continue clawing out of when Syracuse (15-8, 6-4 Atlantic Coast) travels to face Boston College (9-13, 1-9) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

hi-res-215721243cfe16ac1fd4d2d70365be70_crop_north.jpg

How Can Buss Help the Orange Off the Bench? (BR; Neuman!)

The Syracuse basketball team's rotation doesn't have many players. At most, the Orange can go seven deep; eight if Rakeem Christmas gets into early foul trouble and Chinonso Obokoh has to play.

But head coach Jim Boeheim mostly plays six players, with Ron Patterson relieving Kaleb Joseph if the latter adds some gray hairs to Boeheim's head. As the season was getting underway, we thought Patterson could be a three-point threat off the bench for the Orange.

But at least for the remainder of this season, that won't be the case.

To say Patterson has had a cold shooting touch would be an understatement. He's thrown up so many bricks, Boeheim could make an addition to his house. Of the 48 threes Patterson has launched this season, only eight have fallen. That's a scorching 16.7 percent.

B9g0UVRIcAIc3vT.0.0.jpg_large

B9g1Nh7IEAAfuwK.jpg

BC Basketball Unveils Throwball Uniforms for SU Game (bcinterruption; Favat)

The Boston College men's basketball team will wear special throwback uniforms for its Wednesday night home tilt against #OrangeEagle rival Syracuse (7 p.m. inside Conte Forum). The uniforms are similar to the ones the program wore in the mid-1970s.

The team slowly unveiled the aspects of the uniform one-by-one on Instagram, with ghost Patrick Heckmann serving as the team's model. (Follow @bchoopnews).

First up, the shoes and socks. White and gray sneakers. Gray socks with maroon and gold striping.

SU Men's Basketball Getting Off Way Too Easy (providencejournal.com; Donaldson)

This was a special column...

A couple of pieces of commentary as I transition from writing about deflated footballs to opining on roundball:

There are several things wrong about Syracuse’s decision to self impose a postseason tournament ban for 2015.

But the thing that bothers me most is not the thing most people are talking about.

It was in 2007 that Syracuse self-reported to the NCAA violations reportedly involving academic issues, irregularities in mandated drug testing, and financial transactions between players and a man who worked at a local YMCA.

That it has been eight years and the NCAA Committee on Infractions has yet to complete its investigation of these alleged transgressions is beyond ridiculous.

“The process has been exhaustive,” Syracuse Chancelor Kent Syverud said in a press release announcing the self-imposed sanctions.

Exhaustive. Well, that’s one way to phrase it.

Another might be exasperating. Also inexcusable.

But that’s not what I consider the biggest problem.

Nor is it the fact that Syracuse announced its self-imposed penalties only last week, rather than, say, last fall, when players upset by the action could have transferred at the end of the past semester, although the considerable media criticism the school has received for the timing of its announcement is certainly justified.

ACC News

16985023-mmmain.jpg

Notre Dame Snags Bounceback Win, Edges Clemson (PS; Stevens)

Even against a program built on defensive stinginess, Notre Dame has two perimeter players who usually score against anybody and a third with the capability to eventually do so.

That has value. A lot, it turned out, in fending off Clemson 60-58 on Tuesday.

Jerian Grant had 22 points, Pat Connaughton had 14 and Demetrius Jackson added 11 for the Fighting Irish (22-4, 10-3 ACC), who followed up a 60-point showing on Saturday with yet another.

Only this time, they didn't encounter a ferocious offense capable of dropping 90 on them (as Duke did). Instead, they ran into the team ranked last in conference games in offensive efficiency, per KenPom.com.

Last edited:
This one's more for me than anything - 12 years ago, in the wake of the national title, we got a Springer Spaniel puppy and named him Gerry. Gerry probably isn't going to make it through the rest of the week, so I decided to write a little bit about him, and his namesake: http://.com/remembering-gerry/

This one's more for me than anything - 12 years ago, in the wake of the national title, we got a Springer Spaniel puppy and named him Gerry. Gerry probably isn't going to make it through the rest of the week, so I decided to write a little bit about him, and his namesake: http://.com/remembering-gerry/
Great dog name! Jek, sorry man. I hope the little man pulls through but either way, I hope you remember the fun you had with him!