Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17080250-mmmain.jpg

Tyler Roberson Learned What Playing Against Pittsburgh is Like 2/21/2015

Syracuse Counting on Roberson to Make 'The Jump' Next Season (sujuiceonline.com; Irvine)

In recent years, the Syracuse Men’s Basketball team has not had to wait long to see its players make “the jump.” I’m not talking about the jump to the NBA – although that has happened frequently, too – I’m talking about the jump that occurs in players’ confidence and skills as they adjust to major college basketball.

Dion Waiters and Michael Carter-Williams leapt from small roles as freshmen to lottery picks after impressive sophomore campaigns. Tyler Ennis made the jump before he even arrived on campus.

But last season was different. It took Rakeem Christmas four years to reach his potential, but his senior-year jump turned him into a second-team All-American. Kaleb Joseph, on the other hand, struggled to adjust to the college game during his freshman campaign. Injury prevented us from seeing if Chris McCullough would make the jump, even though he ultimately took the plunge into the NBA. For the first time in several seasons, Syracuse fans had their patience tried.

For the 2015-2016 season to be successful, Syracuse will count on rising junior Tyler Roberson to make the jump.

Wings have historically thrived in Syracuse’s offense. In fact, last season was the first since 2008-2009 that a primary wing failed to average in double figures. Primary wings have led the Orange in scoring in 10 of the last 13 seasons, a list that includes CJ Fair, Kris Joseph, Wes Johnson, Donte Greene, Demetris Nichols, Hakim Warrick, and Carmelo Anthony.

18043602-mmmain.jpg

Rakeem Christmas Works Out for Pistons After Strong NBA Combine (mlive.com; Savage)

Rakeem Christmas has some of the attributes the Detroit Pistons might be looking for in the second round of the NBA draft.

He's got good size at almost 6-foot-10, was a consistent scorer as a senior at Syracuse last season, he's a good rebounder and could help stretch the floor after showing the ability to knock down a mid-range jumper at last month's NBA draft combine.

If Christmas is still on the board when it's time for the Pistons to make their 38th overall pick in the June 25 draft, he could be somebody Stan Van Gundy & Co. will consider.

Christmas' stock has risen since the combine, when he scored 20 points on 7-for-10 shooting and grabbed six rebounds during the first scrimmage.

"I've just been in the gym getting after it," said Christmas, who was among six players who worked out for the Pistons Monday at The Palace. "After my last game, I went straight into workout out. Didn't take any time off, just getting ready for this whole process.

Other

-8da19bdcba76a3cc.jpg

The Pride of Baldwinsville, Julia Goodwin

93Q Summer Jam at Paper Mill Island (Photos; PS; Baker)

93Q hosted its annual Summer Jam concert Monday evening at Paper Mill Island in Baldwinsville. The headlining acts were pop singer Andy Grammer and rapper Jake Miller.

Opening the show were two local singers who have both had success on television talent shows. Josh Batstone, who performed on "The Voice" and Julia Goodwin, who appeared on "America's Got Talent" led the evening.

See photos from the event above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom