Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Fudge Day!

NationalFudgeDaysign_th.jpg

SU News

B_23g-SXEAAAzzb.0.0.jpg

Why Matthew Moyer Might be Jim Boeheim's Most Important Recruit Ever (TNIAAM; Sigel)

One thing is for certain, Matthew Moyer is firmly committed to Syracuse. Despite the recent allegations, sanctions and negative press the Syracuse Orange men's basketball program has received, it has only strengthened his commitment and dedication to SU.

"The bottom line is, I'm the one who's blessed in this situation. Coach Boeheim was a blessing to me," the lone 2016 commit told NunesMagician. "For me, it's easy to stay committed to a program by the likes of Syracuse and to play for a Hall-of-Fame coach."

When the sanctions were announced on March 6, it was apparent that recruiting would take a major hit. Syracuse lost 2016 5-star Tyus Battle to Michigan, and 2015 5-star Thomas Bryant to Indiana. However, Moyer has continued to do his part. He has been actively recruiting 2017 target Kevin Huerter, as well as 2016 target Alterique Gilbert.

"I think it's [recruiting] is entertaining," Moyer told NunesMagician.com. "It would be fun to know who I'm going to be teammates with sooner, rather than later."

The Ohio product has provided stability for Syracuse during a difficult time. He's provided hope and a future to the program that needs it now more than ever.

Carrier Dome Timelapse Exposes Old Syracuse Basketball Court (video; nbcsports.com; Dauster)

Over the weekend, Syracuse released a time-lapse video of crews replacing the FieldTurf in the Carrier Dome. When the turf gets peeled up, you not only can see lines for an old track, but you can also see the original basketball court in the end zone. That court hasn’t been played on since the 1980s, and, according to LocalSYR.com, it’s the court that Syracuse won their first Big East tournament game on.

Other

18104233-large.jpg

Golf Course Owner Describes Plane Crash (video; PS; O'Toole)

Update: Manlius police have identified the pilot who crashed an amateur-built plane on a golf course as 52-year-old Mark A. Penell, of Camillus.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Poolsbrook Golf Course owner Warren Taylor was sitting on a deck with friends Monday evening in Kirkville when he suddenly heard a roaring plane overhead.

"We heard the vroom, then we saw the plane shift to the left and then down he went," Taylor said. "He went down in a hurry."

Taylor described watching the single-engine plane -- about 30 feet above their heads -- with its left wing dipping toward the ground and the right wing facing the sky.

"I knew it was over," Taylor said.

The low-flying plane continued over a hill, onto the fairway near the second hole. Taylor and his friends couldn't see the plane anymore, but they knew the pilot was in trouble.

"I heard a big boom, a bang," Taylor said. "I said, 'Oh my God, that plane.'"

A father and son golfing on the ninth hole at Poolsbrook Golf Course also saw the plane descend before the crash, Taylor said. They ran across at least one fairway to try and help the pilot. The men on the deck at the front of the golf course called 911 and rode golf carts to reach the pilot, who had already climbed out of the damaged plane, Taylor said.